• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Volcynika said:
If you're looking for less frustration, I'd recommend DDS. Haven't beaten Nocturne (fuck the Matador), but if you go for DDS, make sure you get the second one too. Nocturne seems less character focused (since you're only one person with your demons), but it's a great game too.

Just got a confirmation that DDS1 is shipping from Gamefly. Thanks!

Back to Persona 4, when you get the
items for max slink
how do you fuse that persona? Anything special?

totowhoa

Banned
YuriLowell said:
He reminds me of someone from the Gorillaz.

also kinda O/T, but I want to play more SMT games, should I start with DDS or Nocturne?

If you love the battle gameplay from the Persona games, go with Nocturne. It's even deeper yet, but it lacks considerably in regard to a progressive story and deep characters. It feels more like a SNES-era RPG in regard to that, but it has some of the hardest and deepest battles in any RPG I've played. So much fun.

I haven't played DDS yet, but from what I hear it is not as deep or difficult as Nocturne, but has more story and character development, although it's not as deep as Persona in regard to the latter... just going off of what I've put together from GAF comments there, though.

FredFish

Dungeon 5 was a really welcome change of pace after dungeon 4. Not that dungeon 4 was "bad" qualitatively but I was constantly in the shadow of death on my run through it because of my level and the time constrait I had boxed myself in to. Fights in D5 were much easier for my crew, level ups happened with surprising (and welcomed) frequency, the bosses were "easier"...heck the darn Fox was hanging out on the fifth floor even :D Of course I realize this means D6 will be an absolute hell-hole probably but I'll climb that mountain when I get to it :lol

As for using guides: I'll eventually use them after a playthrough or two to max s.links (or for finding their start in the first place :D) but for me they destroy the fun of exploration and discovery which is a huge part of SMT's appeal to me. Yeah it may be frustrating occasionally if you're playing blind but the 'tension and release' of hitting a wall and eventually overcoming it is much more rewarding to me then simply following someone else's footsteps. YMMV etc etc

Volcynika

YuriLowell said:

items for max slink

I think it's the same as P3,
that you need a higher level fusion (like four/five/six personas to make it).
But I haven't seen what I need to make it in any of the lists of possible ones. And yeah, like below, you don't even consume the items when it's made. Just a key item you'll keep.

Tenks

YuriLowell said:

items for max slink

Nah they just show up on the list. Doesn't consume the item or anything.

2DMention

Banned
Volcynika said:
I'm rank 4 on the
Devil
and it's so far been....uh...odd, to say the least. As for healing, it's VERY expensive, unless you
level up the Hermit social link

A time-consuming yet cheaper way to heal:
Go to earlier dungeons -- Find an upright Judgement or Death Arcana Chance, and your SP gets filled up. If it's upright Death, healing yourself with SP is very easy and not too costly (especially for someone like Yukiko, who has a ton)

How do you go back to prior dungeons? Talk to the appropriate party member?

I lucked out in the earlier dungeon with chest keys and rare creatures for some reason - now I'm hardly finding them.
Although I went in when it rained alot

What's the concensus on the Sunday TV special? Does anybody ever order anything? Most of the time the items are pretty good, although I've found better wpns at the metal works shop.

Is it worth it to buy something from the capsule machine on rainy days?

What's everybody's fav social link story arc.
I see potential in the janitor job with the pedo nurse, but Ai the spoiled Gym Manager could be interesting too.

totowhoa

Banned
Volcynika said:
I think it's the same as P3,
that you need a higher level fusion (like four/five/six personas to make it).

This is the case in P4 as well. You've got to be at the appropriate level to fuse them, however, just as it is with any other persona.

Volcynika

2DMention said:

I lucked out in the earlier dungeon with chest keys and rare creatures for some reason - now I'm hardly finding them.

What's the concensus on the Sunday TV special? Does anybody ever order anything? Most of the time the items are pretty good, although I've found better wpns at the metal works shop.

Exactly. Talk to the person which relates to the dungeon you want to go back to (while in the TV world hub), and they'll give you the option to go there. Even though they say "I'll do anything for you!" when you ask them to go they're like "I don't wanna go...." :lol

Volcynika said:
Exactly. Talk to the person which relates to the dungeon you want to go back to (while in the TV world hub), and they'll give you the option to go there. Even though they say "I'll do anything for you!" when you ask them to go they're like "I don't wanna go...." :lol

Haha, I didn't even realize that you could go back to the very very very first "dungeon" until I was doing the true ending. :lol

totowhoa

Banned
2DMention said:

You got it.

2DMention said:

Somebody said in this thread that they never got anything good from the capsule machine, so I haven't bothered with it yet.

I have not gotten any great armor from the TV show that I can recall, though I do grab some cheap items for healing or whatever when I can.

Whenever I'm too broke for the beef bowl, I go fishing on rainy days in order to trade for chest keys. That has been a big help. Also fighting the golden enemies... I've had a weapon on Yukiko with about a 50% chance of confuse (just guessing) and I haven't changed in a while, and I don't know if I will. I strictly use her to heal, and if I don't need to, it's nice to have a weapon that confuses so often.. it's very helpful for the golden enemies.

Volcynika

Sklorenz said:
Somebody said in this thread that they never got anything good from the capsule machine, so I haven't bothered with it yet.

Yeah, although Shouta said he got some good stuff when he was playing the JP version (I think), but of course, it's random.

totowhoa

Banned
Argh, I've really been neglecting my wife because of these damn Persona games. I got into P3 FES late and tore through it right up to the release of P4, and now I'm not putting this down. It's a good thing we've decided against having a kid for now. :D

Sklorenz said:
Argh, I've really been neglecting my wife because of these damn Persona games. I got into P3 FES late and tore through it right up to the release of P4, and now I'm not putting this down. It's a good thing we've decided against having a kid for now. :D

I have also been neglecting my GF for persona.
REAL LIFE S-LINK REVERSED!

Volcynika

Sklorenz said:

Someone's gonna have a social link go into reverse.

EDIT: Beaten, but still funny!

Tenks

Sklorenz said:

The Wife SLink has been reversed!

-edit-

wtf we're all nerds here. Beaten by a mile :(

Tetsuo9

Ikael said:
As a newcomer to the series, I just came here to post that this is my most wanted game bar none. Persona 3 made me fell in love with JRPGs again, even if havent finished. Still, there are some issues that I have with Persona 4 for what the people have said:

- I do love the way you can dosify to grind and see story at your own pace that the persona 3 system offered. Is this "more frantic" approach too much forced?

- I thought that persona 3 great missed opportunity was to make each character (specially secondary characters) interactuate more between each other and being able to alter the outcome of their stories depending on this. Is that possibility present on Persona 4?

- The way you enter the battle (prepared, unprepared, or surprising the enemy) does still makes so much of a huge difference?
1. It's basically the same as p3.
2. I think that this game has more group dialogue and interactions, special events, etc. But the possibility that this can do a huge difference is not present.
3. From what I played this game in normal is more difficult than P3 in normal, so it makes a bigger difference.

Volcynika

Tenks said:
Oh you got it to Rank10? Nice you must be tapping that

So with Persona logic, he can go get someone else too, and have no issues!

Unfortunately, this DOES NOT transfer to real life :lol

Guled

Volcynika said:
So with Persona logic, he can go get someone else too, and have no issues!

Unfortunately, this DOES NOT transfer to real life :lol
well that only works in persona games because the girls never tell anyone else you guys are dating. So in theory if you go for another girls IRL in secret that could work, but the consequences are way worse then just a reversed SLink

Guled said:
well that only works in persona games because the girls never tell anyone else you guys are dating. So in theory if you go for another girls IRL in secret that could work, but the consequences are way worse then just a reversed SLink

Gotta love those shy Japanese schoolgirls!

totowhoa

Banned
Guled said:

Yeah, I think the Persona games are so fun to me because they're the perfect sort of escapism for me. Why couldn't have high school been like this for me? All the ladies, all the suaveness, saving the world, etc.. :(

Volcynika

Sklorenz said:
Yeah, I think the Persona games are so fun to me because they're the perfect sort of escapism for me. Why couldn't have high school been like this for me? All the ladies, all the suaveness, saving the world, etc.. :(

:(

Actually, some of the conversations (about the usual stuff, not the other world stuff) reminds me of people I talk to. We'd make silly jokes and point out stupid stuff and have a blast.

totowhoa

Banned
Volcynika said:
:(

Actually, some of the conversations (about the usual stuff, not the other world stuff) reminds me of people I talk to. We'd make silly jokes and point out stupid stuff and have a blast.

One of the biggest reasons I think P4 > P3. The characters and conversations are very relatable. I've never played such an incredible game with a silent protagonist that actually feels like you. And this is despite the cultural differences, even. More proof that Atlus did an incredible job here bringing it over.

Guled

Sklorenz said:
I wonder how close the persona games are to a real Japanese high school (except the saving the world thing)

Tenks

If I had the ability to go inside of a TV and summon a facade of my personality to defeat massive ass shadows using powerful physical attacks and magic all the while hanging out with this bear named Teddie I'm pretty sure the amount of pussy I got in high school wouldn't be the first thing that would come up

Tenks said:
If I had the ability to go inside of a TV and summon a facade of my personality to defeat massive ass shadows using powerful physical attacks and magic all the while hanging out with this bear named Teddie I'm pretty sure the amount of pussy I got in high school wouldn't be the first thing that would come up

Yes it would.

totowhoa

Banned
Haha, not always.

Speaking of which, can you actually bang Ayane? My god, I've been avoiding her. Jailbait band nerds do not appeal.

Tenks

Sklorenz said:
Haha, not always.

Speaking of which, can you actually bang Ayane? My god, I've been avoiding her. Jailbait band nerds do not appeal.

Aren't all the classmates in P4 jailbait? I thought they were like 16/17

Tenks said:
Its not jailbait in some states.

And on the "bang-ing" that goes on, what actually happens.
The only thing that I got to happen with Yukiko was
do you wanna do it on the couch,futon,floor

Can anyone tell me what really goes down? Or is that it, and I need to go find some OTHER material for this purpose.

totowhoa

Banned
Tenks said:

Okay, sure, but... Ayane's just wrong, though. I can't stand her! Worst social link character yet. I actually feel dirty every time her face turns red, and it's just a video game.

Tenks

Hmmm true. Inaba is supposed to be like Bumblefuck, WV where anything goes.

Okay, sure, but... Ayane's just wrong, though. I can't stand her! Worst social link character yet. I actually feel dirty every time her face turns red, and it's just a video game.

I took the drama club SLink instead though I see the band girl in the art book. My girl is hotter but a complete bitch.
I'd still hit it.

And on the "bang-ing" that goes on, what actually happens.
The only thing that I got to happen with Yukiko was do you wanna do it on the couch,futon,floor

Can anyone tell me what really goes down? Or is that it, and I need to go find some OTHER material for this purpose.

Are you asking about the specifics of intercourse?

totowhoa

Banned
Tetsuo9 said:
Legal where I live. :lol

Same here :lol I dunno, with kids fucking at the age of 12 nowadays, it doesn't seem quite as wrong, I guess.

Or maybe that was always happening and me and my friends just missed out :p

totowhoa

Banned
YuriLowell said:
I was also dying alot so im going to go to the easy difficulty.

Eh, just make sure you've got the right Personas that you're leveling. Pay attention to their strengths and weaknesses and who you have in your party (specifically, their corresponding strengths, weaknesses, and abilities) for bosses... if this is your first SMT game, just stick at it, grind a bit, and don't worry about spending your money on the fox. Always buy armor over weapons. Never underestimate the advantage that attack/defense/evasion up and downs will give you (this will make or break every single boss battle and harder enemy encounters), and don't be afraid to try to confuse enemies--it works a lot if they don't have weaknesses.

And, more importantly, don't reset to see a cutscene that I lied about :p

Top Bottom