• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

DiddyBop

im here here doing ym janitorial dutites at the hospital and this whore of a nurse is hittin on me:lol she looks like trouble though.....

and cot damn all these choices are overwhelming.so many things to do,so little time. what do you guys recommend i concentrate on early in the game? i just saved kanji and im waiting for another victim to appear,so thats the stage im at. should i focus on building things like courage/knowledge,etc,or work on my social links? should i max out my social links with my teammates first or randoms like club members and the dojimas?

Tamanon

Banned
DiddyBop said:
im here here doing ym janitorial dutites at the hospital and this whore of a nurse is hittin on me:lol she looks like trouble though.....

and cot damn all these choices are overwhelming.so many things to do,so little time. what do you guys recommend i concentrate on early in the game? i just saved kanji and im waiting for another victim to appear,so thats the stage im at. should i focus on building things like courage/knowledge,etc,or work on my social links? should i max out my social links with my teammates first or randoms like club members and the dojimas?

Focus on S. Links that build your stats and then the party members that you use. The Dojimas should be done as much as possible, especially because there's a good amount of great Justice personas.

Tamanon

Banned
DiddyBop said:
so working on s.links that have the same arcana as my teammates persona will make their personas stronger?

Well, it'll give the teammates useful abilities like follow-up attacks and let them live after taking a killing blow. Plus if you max the S. Link out, their resistances change, and a lot of them have no weaknesses afterwards.

Hrm....something I probably should've noticed on the first run through.

When Igor tells you you will make a contract soon, the first thing you do is talk to the Gas Station Attendant....who you agree to work with and shake hands with. Immediately afterwards you get the first headache. Wonder if they have something to do with things since you never really see them afterwards.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am totally jazzed to find out Laura Bailey does the voice of Rise, I met her back in Anime Expo 2006 and she was extremely nice.

If she ever goes back to AX, she needs to sign my copy of Persona 4 and Valkryia Chronicles.

Just maxed out the Rise S-Link.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. It wasn't as tender as I expected, and it kind of felt like she handed the MC an expiration date to their relationship. Kinda bitter sweat.

DiddyBop

this game is jsut so addicting,i find myself playing hours at a time without breaks. the pace is also a lot better than P3.

i have a feeling the dude doing the tv interviews has something to do with the case..

Ledsen

Bourbon Cowboy said:
Converted Persona fan here.

Why is it so hard to find this game?

I want to buy it and put it near my TV to help spur my first play through FES. (First SMT game ever)

I hear somewhere (podcast?) that after P4 we may not see another Persona game for a while. Is this true? I could play one of these a year for sure.

Well as you probably heard, they were just speculating and didn't have any facts to back it up. So we'll see.

mollipen

crowphoenix said:
Just maxed out the Rise S-Link.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. It wasn't as tender as I expected, and it kind of felt like she handed the MC an expiration date to their relationship. Kinda bitter sweat.

Yup, I went after Rise, and felt the exact same thing. There seems to be this hesitation in P4 (and P3, and hell, a lot of Japanese RPGs) to ever have the future of the characters be set in stone, which really sucks sometimes.

Kevtones

Beat dungeon 4. Here is a recap:

At level 41 - most of my characters were at sub 40.

Tried the first time with
Chie, Yukiko, Kanji
and I got dangerously close to beating it. For some reason the first time around, the helper part of his boss only did 'fight' and 'item' on me so I wasn't prepared for the crazy 'spell' attack as much.

Second time I had the same party and was actually less successful so I put in the other two characters
Teddie/Yosuke
and I was able to beat it. I actually had it totally dominated until I got nearly wiped out and pressed a wrong button to end with one more turn and possible death/restart any way I looked at it. Since one of my characters had weakness I decided to throw up my last physical shield and one other character somehow countered and I killed the asshole. It was really, really sweet.

Tokubetsu

So far, I'm feeling a lot more pressured to do things, especially dungeon wise than I did P3. I'm not digging the 2nd dungeon as much as I'd like. =/. I didn't manage to make it to the 7th floor, things were getting too hard and sp was running low by floor 5.

firex

Tetsuo9 said:
In the meantime you can play both versions of Persona 2.

Did I hear at some point a rumour that they were developing a Persona for PSP?.
You're probably thinking of that Aigis cellphone game. I think Atlus may as well take a break from Persona for a bit, but if they wanted to port/remake P1, they have a perfect engine for it on DS with Etrian Odyssey. Most of the exploration in P1 is first person dungeon crawling and the second screen could easily handle the automap. Plus, a decade or so ago we got a kind of gimp version of P1 over here since Atlus USA didn't really have the money/time/staff to translate the whole game, so one alternate scenario/ending got dummied out, iirc.

Whenever Atlus does do a Persona 5, I'd kind of like to see them go back to the roots with P1 but keep the social link stuff from P3/P4. P1 (and maybe P2, but I haven't played either game of P2) had way more horror/freaky elements to it, sort of like the beginning of P3 before the Dark Hour stuff becomes commonplace and loses its tension. P1 also had some pretty important choices you could make all throughout the game, and it had a battle system that was different from the 1 More system of P3/P4, but still pretty deep. Basically, you used formations for your party and different weapon types would hit a different area (ex. Brad's dual axes could hit 2-3 enemies close together in melee, Yuki's throwing weapons could hit multiple enemies in the back) and if your formation got scrambled from a surprise attack, you could re-organize at the cost of an entire party turn, or pull out your guns and shoot them (for less damage than melee most of the time). This was also based upon enemy formations - some random encounters weren't so good about giving you a pack of enemies your group could maul.

Plus, P1 had a leveling system more like Nocturne (every level you get points to spend customizing your stats as you choose), with the characters' Personas acting more like Magatamas. You get bonus stats and changes in different defenses, but like P3/P4 your ability list is entirely dependent upon your equipped persona. But this also meant you could switch personas/fuse them for all your party members. Oh, and another thing sort of like Nocturne (and maybe the entire main SMT series, but Nocturne is the only one I've played) was the world map - you had a similar little crystal thing moving around the world, although in P1 you're just moving around a city map. Actual areas you entered were either little 2d screens you'd explore (that's where you find items 99% of the time, or save points) or you'd enter one of the first person 3d dungeons.

Anyway, as much as I'm enjoying P4, I don't want to play another game like it for a year or two. If I want that feeling again I can play new cycle of P4 or P3 Fes and try to max all the social links at once. Although, again, I'd preorder a P1 remake on any system, though I feel like it'd be easiest on Atlus's expenses to make it using the Etrian Odyssey engine on DS.

Thrakier

So sad that this game doesn't have widescreen. I'm fine with it being still on PS2, but they can't they at least include widescreen? This game with widescreen for 29,99 in the PSN Store...HAPPY CHRISTMAS. That would be so great. :(

sikkinixx

fuck me, I nearly shattered my controller last night. I had FULL life and three enemies just did magaru (I was weak against wind and I didn't know they had it) in a row, game over, almost 2 hours of leveling... :( sheesh...

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
Only a spoiler for the first 2 minutes of the game.:lol

EDIT: Never mind... I thought you had finished the game.

Why would you get the bad ending and restart the game rather than just continuing towards the better endings?

Volcynika said:
So awesome to get an upright Moon at the start of a new dungeon. :D
I'll definitely want to hear your strategy for the boss of dungeon 5. The strat I ended up using to win was ridiculous, so I doubt it'd work on expert.

Volcynika

crowphoenix said:
I'll definitely want to hear your strategy for the boss of dungeon 5. The strat I ended up using to win was ridiculous, so I doubt it'd work on expert.

I'll let you know when I get to it. Only a little ways into d5.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Wow I'm loving the game so far. It basically fixes all I hated about P3; full party control, variety in dungeons, better pacing, streamlined the dating sim part, better shuffling... improves over P3 in every way.
Btw, I'm posting replies here but I'm not reading a word, too scared of spoilers :lol

PD: and I though Fuuka was unbearable :lol un-bear-able, get it? :lol

2DMention

Banned
DKnight said:
Wow I'm loving the game so far. It basically fixes all I hated about P3; full party control, variety in dungeons, better pacing, streamlined the dating sim part, better shuffling... improves over P3 in every way.
Btw, I'm posting replies here but I'm not reading a word, too scared of spoilers :lol

PD: and I though Fuuka was unbearable :lol un-bear-able, get it? :lol

The only thing it doesn't fix is unskippable cut scenes.

And my PS2 controller is fucked - it keeps scrolling up on the menus until I hit the analog stick up or down. I bought a $12 Gamestop branded Pelican controller, but it sucks ass and you have to hit the buttons 2X as hard. Guess I'll have to get a Sony brand controller.

Someone needs to write a what S.Link Tarot card are you personality test. I did a google search and couldn't find it.

I'd probably be the Hermit

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
I dunno, dungeon 5's boss was ridiculously easy for me (on expert), so I think just about any strategy would work. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
The only thing it doesn't fix is unskippable cut scenes.

And my PS2 controller is fucked - it keeps scrolling up on the menus until I hit the analog stick up or down. I bought a $12 Gamestop branded Pelican controller, but it sucks ass and you have to hit the buttons 2X as hard. Guess I'll have to get a Sony brand controller.

Someone needs to write a what S.Link Tarot card are you personality test. I did a google search and couldn't find it.

I'd probably be the Hermit

http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/new/Brioi/which-of-the-major-arcana-are-you/index.php#

You Scored as The Empress

Divinatory Meaning: The need to cultivate your own creativity. Reverse Meaning: Too easy going. Not sticking up for your own rights. You are an artist, even if you may not have discovered that yet. You are most happy when you create. Music is a part of your soul energy and need it on a regular basis. Some people may not understand you, but then again, you don’t always understand yourself. Lucky for you, you’re okay with that.

Tetsuo9

You Scored as The Emperor

Divinatory Meaning: The Struggle for personal independence. Reverse Meaning: Unable to receive from others. You are very independent. You feel awkward asking for assistance and don’t like accepting help from others. It is important to you to achieve those things that you’ve set your sights on, but often are not sure how to accomplish them.

:lol

firex

my birth arcana pair is Devil/Lovers and I think all my failed relationships with girls can attest to both sides of that. but birth arcana is different.

edit: quiz gave me the Lovers too.

Volcynika

Empress, but tied to moon too.

Divinatory Meaning: The need to cultivate your own creativity. Reverse Meaning: Too easy going. Not sticking up for your own rights. You are an artist, even if you may not have discovered that yet. You are most happy when you create. Music is a part of your soul energy and need it on a regular basis. Some people may not understand you, but then again, you don’t always understand yourself. Lucky for you, you’re okay with that.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Gotta say this game's got some pretty good VA. I can't speak japanese, so obviously I can't give any solid opinion on the translation but the dialouge is great. Lot's of humor in there too.

Oh yeah, I managed to get past the first dungeon. Hurrah for me, man!

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
You Scored as The Fool
Divinatory Meaning: A new chapter opening in one’s life. Originality. Eccentricity. Reverse Meaning: Dispersion of energy. You are able to find humor and excitement in any situation. Although you may not always crave attention, you are a people person at heart. Others love your style and sense of self. Many admire that about you and look to you as a source of strength.
very interesting...

You Scored as The High Priestess

Divinatory Meaning: Be guided by your intuition. Reverse Meaning: Superstitious. Deluded. You feel energy around you…everywhere. You are aware of things that others are not. You listen more to your inner voice or feelings than most people. Concentrate your efforts on this gift. It is a talent that will develop as you focus on it.

interesting...

zoku88

I got The Devil :lol :lol

Divinatory Meaning: Don’t let your own negativity hold you back. Enter into the swing of things a bit more.

Reverse Meaning: Lack of vision. Blocked sexual energy. You are misunderstood by many people. Others misperception of what you are have a strong affect on how you see yourself. As you learn to overcome your inhibitions and be true to yourself, you will get closer and closer to your true potential. You possess a lot of power

Darkman M

You Scored as The Emperor

Divinatory Meaning: The Struggle for personal independence. Reverse Meaning: Unable to receive from others. You are very independent. You feel awkward asking for assistance and don’t like accepting help from others. It is important to you to achieve those things that you’ve set your sights on, but often are not sure how to accomplish them.

You Scored as The High Priestess

Divinatory Meaning: Be guided by your intuition. Reverse Meaning: Superstitious. Deluded. You feel energy around you…everywhere. You are aware of things that others are not. You listen more to your inner voice or feelings than most people. Concentrate your efforts on this gift. It is a talent that will develop as you focus on it.

I got 100% on this one. The Devil was at 92. Is that bad? :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
You Scored as The Devil

Divinatory Meaning: Don’t let your own negativity hold you back. Enter into the swing of things a bit more. Reverse Meaning: Lack of vision. Blocked sexual energy. You are misunderstood by many people. Others misperception of what you are have a strong affect on how you see yourself. As you learn to overcome your inhibitions and be true to yourself, you will get closer and closer to your true potential. You possess a lot of power.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Question on the final dungeon
So if you beat the final dungeon too soon you miss out on a majority of the month of december for social link raising? If that is true i guess its gonna be the one dungeon i don't beat in a single game day.

Yaweee

NoitoraJirugajr said:
So if you beat the final dungeon too soon you miss out on a majority of the month of december for social link raising? If that is true i guess its gonna be the one dungeon i don't beat in a single game day.

Yup. I really hated that decision.

Darkman M

NoitoraJirugajr said:

ignore

Tamanon

Banned
Darkman M said:
The true final dungeon is in march and you only have one day to beat it, so beating the one in December early doesn't cause any problems as far as i remember

Actually....

Beating the December dungeon automatically advances you to the 22nd or 23rd, skipping all the remaining days.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Tamanon said:
Actually....

Beating the December dungeon automatically advances you to the 22nd or 23rd, skipping all the remaining days.
So then if i still have S-links to finish with hanged man, death, and moon, i should wait if i want to finish them at all?

Darkman M

Tamanon said:
Actually....

That's right i remember now, but he still can beat in in one game day though, just focus on s-links then take care of the dungeon on the 22nd.

Sushen

It's my first Persona game playing, and I'm getting paroid about getting it wrong. I've restarted more than ever in my recent memory. I've spent 20 hours and I'm in
early June and rescued Kanji a few days ago.

My friend beat the game under 70 hours... And, he got all those stats up so fast that he got 5 in knowledge by the time where I am (I'm only 3).

Guled

Sushen said:
It's my first Persona game playing, and I'm getting paroid about getting it wrong. I've restarted more than ever in my recent memory. I've spent 20 hours and I'm in

My friend beat the game under 70 hours... And, he got all those stats up so fast that he got 5 in knowledge by the time where I am (I'm only 3).
lvl 3 sounds good for knowledge at that point, just get it to lvl 4 by the next exam to ace it

Tetsuo9

Sushen said:

Ignore the completionist!, just play it at your pace and make your own desicions. :)

Top Bottom