• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Sushen said:
It's my first Persona game playing, and I'm getting paroid about getting it wrong. I've restarted more than ever in my recent memory. I've spent 20 hours and I'm in
early June and rescued Kanji a few days ago.

My friend beat the game under 70 hours... And, he got all those stats up so fast that he got 5 in knowledge by the time where I am (I'm only 3).
If you max everything out with the max s-link faq you have a month and a half of absolutely nothing near the end of the game. Just try to have a persona with you of the same type as your s-link you are raising and you will be fine.

If Atlus JPN does make Persona 5 I hope that they make the overall color theme of the game red or green to match the pattern they've already established.

I'm really sad. I've invested 80 hours into this game and its about to end. I've maxed all the S.Links (on about December 17), just saw the
good
ending and going to know attempt the
true
ending. The journey is nearing its end. I finished this game in like two weeks. It went by far too fast. It was supposed to last longer then that!

I spent less then 30 hours on Banjo-Kazooie and it took a month to finish that game! On top of that, my first run was completed in expert mode so there is no real incentive for me to play again. I will still play it again, just because P4 is that awesome. Maybe after my 2nd run of Vesperia.

Sushen

frostythecat said:
I'm really sad. I've invested 80 hours into this game and its about to end. I've maxed all the S.Links (on about December 17), just saw the
good
ending and going to know attempt the
true
ending. The journey is nearing its end. I finished this game in like two weeks. It went by far too fast. It was supposed to last longer then that!

I spent less then 30 hours on Banjo-Kazooie and it took a month to finish that game! On top of that, my first run was completed in expert mode so there is no real incentive for me to play again. I will still play it again, just because P4 is that awesome. Maybe after my 2nd run of Vesperia.
Getting 80 hours out of ANY game is awesome, nowadays. None of the big titles this year last longer than 30 hours for me. Even Tales of Vesperia ended after 60 hours for me. If you want more, there is game+. :)

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Heh yeah the length of this game is awesome. I'm at 84 hours and i just got to the first set of choices that decides what ending you get. After this I don't know if i can even stomach going back to The Last Remnant though :(

2DMention

Banned
Kinda surprised at what I got

Quizfarm said:
You Scored as The Hanging Dragon
Divinatory Meaning: Suspended activity; a period of delay. Reverse Meaning: Seeing the world as if it were upside down. Something very significant has happened to you recently. A defining moment that you cannot deny. As you ponder this occurrence, whether good or bad, there is something profound that you were meant to learn from it.

The Hanged Man?? Really? The seeing the world upside down kinda makes sense tho.
The Moon and the empress were pretty high up there too. Then again, I am kind of a Dadaist...

AniHawk

Wow. So, I beat the first real dungeon of the game, and I am totally just fucking around. Do Chie and Yosuke hang out somewhere?

Man this game takes a while to get going. The first seven hours are like a freaking tutorial. Glad I bought the strategy guide.

2DMention

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wow. So, I beat the first real dungeon of the game, and I am totally just fucking around. Do Chie and Yosuke hang out somewhere?

Man this game takes a while to get going. The first seven hours are like a freaking tutorial. Glad I bought the strategy guide.

Chie is on the roof, Yosuke is at the Mall on Sun. (I don't remember during the week)

You Scored as The Fool
Divinatory Meaning: A new chapter opening in one’s life. Originality. Eccentricity. Reverse Meaning: Dispersion of energy. You are able to find humor and excitement in any situation. Although you may not always crave attention, you are a people person at heart. Others love your style and sense of self. Many admire that about you and look to you as a source of strength.

I also tied with Lovers but nobody else has gotten it and I want to know what it says.

AniHawk said:

Chie's on the roof (otherwise she'll ask you to study in the classroom or go to the tv) and in front of daidara on holidays

Yosuke's outside the classroom in the hallway (otherwise he'll also ask you to study or go to the tv) and he's at Junes on holidays

*Sorry, double post.*

sikkinixx

Okay I'm pissed. I need assistance.

I just beat Yukiko's Castle and now I can go back through it. The boss at the top floor is any annoying ass King-looking dude who can use this move, Rampage, and kill my whole party in one hit. It does about 300 damage and all my guys are in the low 200's (level ~17) wtf? If it wasn't for that move I could work him down but he just whips it out on his 3rd or 4th turn every time...

Tamanon

Banned
sikkinixx said:
Okay I'm pissed. I need assistance.

I just beat Yukiko's Castle and now I can go back through it. The boss at the top floor is any annoying ass King-looking dude who can use this move, Rampage, and kill my whole party in one hit. It does about 300 damage and all my guys are in the low 200's (level ~17) wtf? If it wasn't for that move I could work him down but he just whips it out on his 3rd or 4th turn every time...

Come back at a higher level and he barely does any damage.

2DMention

Banned
I have a hard time believing this takes place in a small town. It has a mall and a big shopping district for christs sakes! How many small towns do you know have a mall with a food court in them? If it took place in a small town like where I live where there's 7,000 people, I'd have an easier time believing them.

2DMention said:
I have a hard time believing this takes place in a small town. It has a mall and a big shopping district for christs sakes! How many small towns do you know have a mall with a food court in them? If it took place in a small town like where I live where there's 7,000 people, I'd have an easier time believing them.

It's less like a mall and more like Walmart.

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:

Dude, it's a Walmart, not a mall. :p

jsrv

Volcynika said:
What's the best way to get a huge fish? I needs one!

And where is
Rise
on normal school days?

Fish during rainy days
Depending on your controller's vibration when the bait is set, it might be a Huge fish (Strong vibration = Huge Fish)

If the vibration is soft just cancel the bait, the main character will set it again without losing the # of chances you can fish per day

Alidar

Neo Member
Could late October have been better than
the beach
in Persona 3? Why yes, yes it is.

Is it just me, or is there a bit more of a leveling curve in dungeon 6? Seems the enemies were a bit of a jump in levels over dungeon 5, so it seems I'll have to grind to survive the later enemies. Those cube guys that cast the almighty spell just screw my party over. It's weird because in all the previous dungeons I didn't have such problems at the start.

DiddyBop

is it possible to complete most of the s.links you gain in the game? all together i have 13 and im only on the 3rd dungeon. i dont really wanna replay the game again so i hope i can get most of these completed in my first run.

firex

I'm not even trying for max s.links and I got over 50% in like september or something. If you really try (especially if you max every social stat quickly) you could get them all built up pretty fast.

speaking of s.links, my plans in the game are pretty much this for the remaining time I have left (beat dungeon 6, waiting on the person to recover, mid-november): max Emperor, max Fortune, max Strength, and then I'm pretty much going to spend every remaining available afternoon wearing out Yukiko since she's the only girl s.link I actually liked so far.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
DiddyBop said:
is it possible to complete most of the s.links you gain in the game? all together i have 13 and im only on the 3rd dungeon. i dont really wanna replay the game again so i hope i can get most of these completed in my first run.
Well there is a max social link faq you could use or just every day search for all the social links you have available and try to get them pretty early. Don't stress too much about maxing out tower and devil early because you'll have plenty of time in november and december with nothing else to do in the evenings. If you always have the persona of the same type as the s-link you are more likely to simply rank up without having to do extra visits. I am going to be REALLY close to getting all of them done it seems because I just started december and I have 4 left that are not maxed (not counting the ones that rank up at specific times or empress)

Guled

NoitoraJirugajr said:
Well there is a max social link faq you could use or just every day search for all the social links you have available and try to get them pretty early. Don't stress too much about maxing out tower and devil early because you'll have plenty of time in november and december with nothing else to do in the evenings. If you always have the persona of the same type as the s-link you are more likely to simply rank up without having to do extra visits. I am going to be REALLY close to getting all of them done it seems because I just started december and I have 4 left that are not maxed (not counting the ones that rank up at specific times or empress)
you get to go outside in the evenings in nov?

2DMention

Banned
I have to say I'm really enjoying the
Devil
social link dialogue. I didn't think they could top you getting to know the
Home Shopping guy
from P3, but this one takes the cake. I always pick the choices to egg
her on
. I like the choice of words -
Mischevious Affection
:lol :lol

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Bahhh i started death way too late and now i can't max it :( At least i'll have all the others maxed besides empress which i'll probably just ignore because its such a pain and worry about getting all s-links maxed in my second run if i ever do it.
EDIT: Ugh looks like i won't be able to max out chariot or lovers either, stupid game should automatically rank up on the last chance to do s-links with someone.

major spoiler-ish questions! only read if you have finished the game and are on the way to the true ending!

alrite so i'm in the entrance hall of the tv world on 3/20.... is p4 really gonna end up being almost 30 hours shorter than p3??? i haven't started any of the stuff on the final boss so unless it is ridiculously long it's gonna come up shorter than P3! also, unless there's some sorta suprise for me after this final boss i think it's a little messed up that the total amount of calendar games is a LOT shorter! i only got to max out 3 friggin s. links! i knew i shoulda gotten the strat. guide...

Boulayman

Void Quest assistance required

Dear gaffers, I am once again asking for your help. After beating shadow kanji, I figured I got over the hardest part of the game. Since both Rise and Teddy were pretty easy, I thought I was right but THEN &/&?*/*&*&?$" MAtsuo kicks in. The first iteration of his armor is very easy, the shadow himself is also easy but wth is up with the second iteration of that armor ! It does more than 200 damage to all my party every single turn, so I basically waste my turn healing and doing some very modest damage, then I just run out of SP, is there any way of preventing that damn armor from reappearing ?

Boulayman

Tenks said:
Unrelated to Persona4:

Gamefly is selling Baroque for 7.99. I may pick it up, still trying to decide.

http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=129770

Since it's Atlus, I was interested, but then I read the following critique from metacritic

A fiendishly difficult, randomly generated dungeon crawler that at times can be an incredible work of interactive fiction, and at other times, a muddled mess.

And here I am having a hard time with persona 4, not for me I guess.

Tamanon

Banned
Boulayman said:
Void Quest assistance required

Dear gaffers, I am once again asking for your help. After beating shadow kanji, I figured I got over the hardest part of the game. Since both Rise and Teddy were pretty easy, I thought I was right but THEN &/&?*/*&*&?$" MAtsuo kicks in. The first iteration of his armor is very easy, the shadow himself is also easy but wth is up with the second iteration of that armor ! It does more than 200 damage to all my party every single turn, so I basically waste my turn healing and doing some very modest damage, then I just run out of SP, is there any way of preventing that damn armor from reappearing ?

You'll usually get a second tim, but the way to keep it from reforming is to do enough damage while forming. Generally the game'll cheat a bit later and reform it immediately. You need to have Mediarama or someone who has it, that's the only way to survive that part of the battle.

Guled

Dieing mid way through a dungeon is really annoying, happened to me 3 time so far today :( If it wasn't persona I would have smashed the disc on the wall by now, at least the battle system is so addicting so going through the same levels again is not that frustrating

Boulayman

Tamanon said:
You'll usually get a second tim, but the way to keep it from reforming is to do enough damage while forming. Generally the game'll cheat a bit later and reform it immediately. You need to have Mediarama or someone who has it, that's the only way to survive that part of the battle.

What kind of persona resistance should I be equipping my MC with wehn 2nd iteration armor kicks in ? Since it was doing attack, I figured a physical resistant one but that garadyne stuff seems to be electricity related. I did have two healers in my party: Teddy with mediaram and Yukiko with Media + Diarama. Kanji and MC are my attackers. I'm at about level 38 (did some unwanted grinding since I had to go back three floors to fight the 7th floor boss (quite possibly the easiest subboss yet I thought))

totowhoa

Banned
Kinda off topic, but I'm nearing completion of P4 and want to play through the DDS games next. P4 was the first SMT game I played through on hard (played Nocturne and P3 on normal). Is DDS hard mode similar to P4 hard mode? I don't mind grinding as much as P4 requires on hard, but much more could possibly annoy me. Thanks :D

Yaweee

Sklorenz said:
Kinda off topic, but I'm nearing completion of P4 and want to play through the DDS games next. P4 was the first SMT game I played through on hard (played Nocturne and P3 on normal). Is DDS hard mode similar to P4 hard mode? I don't mind grinding as much as P4 requires on hard, but much more could possibly annoy me. Thanks :D

DDS1 had no hard mode, and DDS2's is only available after you beat the game, or import DDS1 Game Complete data.

Though DDS still uses the same basic level dependent battle algorithms as P3/4, the inability to arbitrarily avoid battles keeps you pretty close to the expected level curve at all times, so 'grinding' won't be as necessary.

firex

Boulayman said:
What kind of persona resistance should I be equipping my MC with wehn 2nd iteration armor kicks in ? Since it was doing attack, I figured a physical resistant one but that garadyne stuff seems to be electricity related. I did have two healers in my party: Teddy with mediaram and Yukiko with Media + Diarama. Kanji and MC are my attackers. I'm at about level 38 (did some unwanted grinding since I had to go back three floors to fight the 7th floor boss (quite possibly the easiest subboss yet I thought))
nope, that attack isn't bound off any resistance. My advice is fuse Black Frost. the parts for it are easy and it has no weaknesses, and it can learn buff/debuff spells. So if you can teach it Rakunda/Marakukaja (or another buff instead of Marakukaja, but Marakukaja will help a ton vs the first phase of that boss) then it's just about perfect.

My advice is 1) face every boss at full SP (I give them a trial run when I get there just to figure out what they do, and when I die and reload my save, warp out and either come back another day or pay for healing some other way) and 2) for that fight in particular, feel free to go all out against that boss's first phase. The second phase is more of a defensive/tactical fight while the first phase is just flat out destroying him with your hardest attacks and curing exhaustion/healing.

Vorador

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Got this today and decided to look at the art book..which I guess has spoiled me about 3 of the game's characters. :/

Then you better avoid the wikipedia entry of this game. Seriously.

I didn't and got a pretty big history spoiler shoved down my throat in the main character description. Also there's quite a good amount of spoilers plastered all over the entry.

Ledsen

Red Scarlet said:
Got this today and decided to look at the art book..which I guess has spoiled me about 3 of the game's characters. :/

I did that too :( Who looks through an artbook starting from the first page? I just started looking at random pictures and BAM! Spoiler City... They should've put the warning on the cover :(

Top Bottom