• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
daegan said:
It makes me cry how many people are going to see Fallout 3 as "better" than this game without playing it.

Well, I'll be playing both at the same time (key word being time and how much of it I can steal away from family duties) so I'll get back to you though my personal philosophy is that there's enough room for greatness to fill even the most jaded gamers heart. That is, while Jessica Biel has a great ass, so does Mena Suvari, and hell if I know which I'd like to shove my face into first. :D

stawnkald

zurra said:
Wasn't there an Arisato sign near the bookstore with the old folks?

I'm not sure, but did you ever look at the bulletin board in the Dorm real close? It says Minatodai Dormitory on the top.

birdchili

Caspel said:
proper RPGs for the next-gen
this is the very last, final, ultimate, asset-reusing, samey gameplay, ps2 smt game i'm going to buy.

i really mean it this time:)

pretty-sure that the slow migration isn't hurting atlus jp much though. it seems current-gen jrpgs are just starting to really get interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
One welcome thing I'm noticing browsing through the Persona database is more options for healing the party early on, I've found some personas getting Media at level 10 or 11, definitely better than keeping Orpheus/Apsaras in the party all the way until level 17.

Yaweee

birdchili said:
this is the very last, final, ultimate, asset-reusing, samey gameplay, ps2 smt game i'm going to buy.

i really mean it this time:)

Why you gotta hate on Raidou 2?

----------

Thunderbolt's 10/10 review is up.

Look, folks. If you have any interest in RPGs, you need to play Persona 4. Period. It’s one of the best titles available on the PS2. In fact, it just might be the console's swan song. It’s a worthy sequel to Persona 3; it takes all of the things that made that game kick ass, and improves upon it.

----

Digital Chumps, 96/100 (Never even heard of them before)

Persona 4 may unfortunately be the most overlooked game this holiday season. It's quite a shame, because it stands on the same pantheon as some of the best titles ever released on Playstation 2.

Let me put it this way; I have Fable II, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, and Yakuza 2 sitting here, all still in their shrink wrap. I can't see myself cracking open any member of that crowd before the new year. Persona 4 is an ace.
----------

Balancing Fallout 3 and Persona 4 won't be too hard, as long as you can tear yourself away from the latter. F3 is basically a short-ish main quest surrounded by an absolute crapton of sidequests and locations to explore at your own leisure, so playing it piecewise shouldn't be too difficult.

Barakov

birdchili said:
because of Raidou 1? thanks for the link though - i missed that thread. we'll see... - i do prefer my action rpgs random-encounter-free.

You'll be fighting quite a bit of those encounters. The battles are much better this time around with the addition of Raidou's ability to dodge, the battle system being improved and the ability to summon two demons at once make the random encounters much more interesting.

I thought Raidou 1 had such a great idea just needed more polish, i hear this time it's ALOT better. anyone know when it's gonna be localized for US?

and on a P4 note: just a few more days OMG!!

wangman31888 said:
and on a P4 note: just a few more days OMG!!

I seriously CAN'T wait for this game. My girlfriend was playing through P3 The Journey last night, and godddddddd, it just made me think of the endless nights of dungeon crawling in less than a week!

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I'm stoked. Trying to find any way possible to pass the time. I've been cycling between P2:EP, P3:FES and even that SMT:Imagine beta test. Thank god football is this weekend, that'll get rid of two days.:lol

stawnkald

I have a fuckton of games I want to get through before P4 is in my hands, so that helps pass the time. :lol

Also I've been playing some Persona 3 on and off...one of my favorite things about the game is that it's an RPG you can generally play for 30 minutes here and there due to its structure. I never have to think "shit, can I start this up and play for a little bit or will it be 90 minutes between fucking save points" when I fire it up.

zurra

stawnkald said:
I'm not sure, but did you ever look at the bulletin board in the Dorm real close? It says Minatodai Dormitory on the top.
ha! i never noticed that. the clues were everywhere...

birdchili

Barakov said:
You'll be fighting quite a bit of those encounters. The battles are much better this time around with the addition of Raidou's ability to dodge, the battle system being improved and the ability to summon two demons at once make the random encounters much more interesting.
i'm not sure that the encounter system is salvageable for me... i just don't have the inclination to min/max when the combat is so easy, and having the combat hard would just annoy me.

*this* is a better game for my taste. more calculating both in and out of battle. i'm almost looking forward to starting it with the gameplay systems pretty-much figured out, strangely enough.

2DMention

Banned
I was gonna wait and play this when it came out, but I finished SO1 earlier than expected, so now I'm working on Lost Odyssey.

With my current RPG schedule, I won't get to this at least until at least April or May.

My Strat. guides were pushed back by Amazon until the 18th.

Tamanon

Banned
Feint331 said:
the qte combat combination make it really repetitive to play boring. the only good thing i can say about the game is the art direction the rest is meh. i don't know if i could bothered to finish this tbh.

Persona 4?

epmode

My Gamestop guy made me feel like I was crazy when I asked about the preorder bonus.

Is it in stock at every store or only a few?

Tamanon

Banned
epmode said:
My Gamestop guy made me feel like I was crazy when I asked about the preorder bonus.

Is it in stock at every store or only a few?

Should've arrived at all Gamestops. That store manager might've told them not to give out the artbooks early in case people would grab them, then cancel.

Kevtones

God I cannot wait. Reviews have been appropriately awesome so far. Seems the game is just P3, but better. Couldn't ask for anything more... except for P4FES!

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, nobody told me they finally added the final ingredient to a successful JRPG!

Fishing minigame!

Stunning

epmode

Tamanon said:
Should've arrived at all Gamestops. That store manager might've told them not to give out the artbooks early in case people would grab them, then cancel.
I just want to make sure they're going to have an artbook for me. I can preorder elsewhere if not :(

Kevtones said:
God I cannot wait. Reviews have been appropriately awesome so far. Seems the game is just P3, but better. Couldn't ask for anything more... except for P4FES!

Atlus confirmed there is no FES, i felt sad but kinda glad i won't haveta shell out another 40 bux for it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
aw dang, the game is no longer the highest reviewed ps2 game on metacritic :(

its still at 96 though, amazing.

stawnkald

I haven't heard anything, I'm sure someone who has played the Japanese version does though. Frankly I've been on P4 information blackout for months.

Though I faintly remember in the very first trailer the triangle button being mashed.

Yaweee

Gamecritic 9/10
Disclosures: This game was obtained via the publisher and reviewed on the PlayStation 2. Approximately 42 hours of play were devoted to the single-player mode, and the game was not completed at the time this review was written. There are no multiplayer modes.

Playstation Illustrated, 98/100
Persona 4 is an all-around great game and a must buy for any RPG fan - or really anyone in the market for a good game. There are numerous, much flashier titles coming out this holiday season, but Persona 4 should not be overlooked.

So, the two 'low' reviews so far have either only played half the game, or claimed that Inaba is the same city as Persona 3.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Prime crotch said:
It's not a game, it was just that crane machine outside the arcades where you could get the Jack Frost dolls.
Thanks. It wasn't in the original (if it was, I'm insane), that's why I got a little confused.

stawnkald

Yaweee said:
claimed that Inaba is the same city as Persona 3.

4kf2nhk.gif

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:

The GameZone review originally said it, but it looks like it's been edited out since then.

Somebody on the Atlus forum quoted the review.

"If you’ve played Persona 3, then you’ll find it eerily similar due it being in the same town (Inaba) and the storyline of Persona 4 occurring 14 months after. "

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The gamecritics review is retarded. He mentions there is no multiplayer, as if someone actually gives a shit about that.

Volcynika

Error said:
The gamecritics review is retarded. He mentions there is no multiplayer, as if someone actually gives a shit about that.

But people love multiplayer in turn-based RPGs!11!1!

:lol

birdchili

Error said:
it doesn't annoy you that there's no multiplayer? it's even worse with books, where multiplayer options are lacking in *all* genres.

Durante

Error said:
Ugh.

Every game must have multiplayer!!!

I hate "professional" reviewers.

Top Bottom