• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Yukiko and Teddie both get the best healing spells. Also it seems you actually control what spells your party learns, so you can decide to have them forget a spell you don't want to use when they learn their new one.:D

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Yukiko and Teddie both get the best healing spells. Also it seems you actually control what spells your party learns, so you can decide to have them forget a spell you don't want to use when they learn their new one.:D
Yukiko technically has the edge, since she learns
Salvation
, has more MP, and learns the skills earlier.

...all right, fine, I forgot about Teddie and just wanted to be right. :(

...eh. I hardly consider it a spoiler, but all right. :D

The more I find out about the little tweaks to P4, the more excited I get. Atlus has seemingly fixed every single problem I had with P3. No more A.I. only controls, separate and distinct dungeons, Social Links allowing for platonic or romantic involvement, and now with the news of teammates jumping in to save you from Mudo I literally cannot think of any way I would have improved on the previous game. I'm ashamed to admit I had this idea that Persona 4 wouldn't be a huge leap over 3, and in some ways it isn't at first glance, but I think everyone who's spent hours upon hours exploring Tarturus will recognize how substantial the adjustments are. Next week is going to rule.

zurra

Blackjack said:
Yukiko technically has the edge, since she learns
Salvation
, has more MP, and learns the skills earlier.

...all right, fine, I forgot about Teddie and just wanted to be right. :(

...eh. I hardly consider it a spoiler, but all right. :D
Keep forgetting about him, between the two it's Yukiko all the way. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Yosuke, Yukiko and Chie probably for me, although I might throw Naoto in there later on. The skill set looks pretty good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
baphometbones said:
The more I find out about the little tweaks to P4, the more excited I get. Atlus has seemingly fixed every single problem I had with P3. No more A.I. only controls, separate and distinct dungeons, Social Links allowing for platonic or romantic involvement, and now with the news of teammates jumping in to save you from Mudo I literally cannot think of any way I would have improved on the previous game. I'm ashamed to admit I had this idea that Persona 4 wouldn't be a huge leap over 3, and in some ways it isn't at first glance, but I think everyone who's spent hours upon hours exploring Tarturus will recognize how substantial the adjustments are. Next week is going to rule.
My exact feelings. After so much P3, every little tweak I read about in this thread makes me so much more hyped (I was on a semi media blackout for P4 until now). It will be a hard time putting this game down after I start playing it.

Blackjack

All I wanna know is if it still has Persona 3's pacing problems. The entire middle of the game (July-October, basically) was a huge, boring, pointless grind.

Yaweee

Metroidvania said:
I think he might have meant not saving near constantly, but that might just be because I have lost 3 or so hours of work in 3 by getting Mudo'd. :p

The game also seems to have a problem with save point placement in general. Long, unskippable scenes before boss fights, long stretches in dungeons without save spots, hour+ story sequences without being able to save... quite a few of the reviews have commented about how frustrating things like that can be.

It's nice to see that Homonculi returns, and that characters jump in to save you, but I've still always disliked the 'MC = Game Over' mechanic. It just seems like it makes big battles less interesting, by making them too decisive on single actions instead of the result of long term strategies.

Blackjack said:
All I wanna know is if it still has Persona 3's pacing problems. The entire middle of the game (July-October, basically) was a huge, boring, pointless grind.

In my opinion, that was one of the best parts of the game! The redundancy of a normal routine fit with the story as the MC in P3 (and in most Persona games) is in all other ways a normal person.

Wasn't the most exciting, granted, but even so, establishing Social Links and building deeper connections was part of the fun! Out of any improvement or new feature P4 brings, I'm most excited about new S.Links.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yaweee said:
Long, unskippable scenes before boss fights
.... :(

I was really hoping I would be able to skip scenes in this one (for replays, dying on bosses, etc). Oh well...

Yaweee said:
The game also seems to have a problem with save point placement in general. Long, unskippable scenes before boss fights, long stretches in dungeons without save spots, hour+ story sequences without being able to save... quite a few of the reviews have commented about how frustrating things like that can be.
I can't recall which button but P3 had a fast-foward text to alleviate those scenes.

birdchili

i'm pretty certain i saw more "game over" due to megidola etc... than due to hama/mudo-type stuff in p3.

persona 3 is one of the few jrpgs where the "run away" button actually saw some use. (i would have used it in nocturne if it weren't just a mis-labeled "suicide" option).

there's something appealing about the terror that comes from seeing a new enemy that has an angelic or death-like look in these games (floating skulls huh... uh oh.).

Blackjack

TheChillyAcademic said:
In my opinion, that was one of the best parts of the game! The redundancy of a normal routine fit with the story as the MC in P3 (and in most Persona games) is in all other ways a normal person.

Wasn't the most exciting, granted, but even so, establishing Social Links and building deeper connections was part of the fun! Out of any improvement or new feature P4 brings, I'm most excited about new S.Links.
That's another thing! I hope the S.Links are better. I didn't like most of the school-based Social Links in 3 (really just Kenji was okay, and Chariot guy and that's about it). It was all about the out of school ones (Hanged Man, Tower, Star, and Hierophant especially) for me.

I DO like that I can hang out with ALL my dudes, and that I am not forced into a relationship just because I talk to a girl five times. So that's at least a step in the right direction.

Yaweee

Prime crotch said:
I can't recall which button but P3 had a fast-foward text to alleviate those scenes.

Triangle, but it isn't super fast because the text windows still go through animations, then there's the character reactions and the such.

birdchili said:
i'm pretty certain i saw more "game over" due to megidola etc... than due to hama/mudo-type stuff in p3.

There were just a few of later Tartarus bosses that would liberally spam Megidola spells, and due to the nature of SMT's level based combat algorithms, there wasn't much you could do except level enough to not die in a single hit.

Also, FES gave you so many Homonculi that dying to Mudo was nearly impossible if you made even the occasional effort to not flaunt your weakness against the wrong enemies.

Blackjack said:
That's another thing! I hope the S.Links are better. I didn't like most of the school-based Social Links in 3 (really just Kenji was okay, and Chariot guy and that's about it). It was all about the out of school ones (Hanged Man, Tower, Star, and Hierophant especially) for me.

I DO like that I can hang out with ALL my dudes, and that I am not forced into a relationship just because I talk to a girl five times. So that's at least a step in the right direction.

Exactly!

I'd say without a doubt my favorite S.Link in P3 was The Sun. The music was always amazing, the story itself (of that particular relationship) was great, and the Persona it assisted were always awesome.

I also agree that its nice that just because I talk to a girl (or 7) I'm not automatically the love of their lives >.<

Blackjack

TheChillyAcademic said:
Exactly!

I'd say without a doubt my favorite S.Link in P3 was The Sun. The music was always amazing, the story itself (of that particular relationship) was great, and the Persona it assisted were always awesome.

I also agree that its nice that just because I talk to a girl (or 7) I'm not automatically the love of their lives >.<
Sun! Sun was awesome, too. Tower was my favorite for some reason I really can't quite put my finger on, but Sun was excellent.

Blackjack said:
Sun! Sun was awesome, too. Tower was my favorite for some reason I really can't quite put my finger on, but Sun was excellent.

I didn't play through all of the S.Links until I played The Journey again and Tower was indeed cool.

RickA238

Has anyone checked their pre-order on Amazon.com? I pre-ordered mine months ago and the shipping estimate date is 12/15. Is this date common for everyone, or is my order effed up?

Blackjack

RickA238 said:
Has anyone checked their pre-order on Amazon.com? I pre-ordered mine months ago and the shipping estimate date is 12/15. Is this date common for everyone, or is my order effed up?
What shipping did you choose? I'm at 2 day and it's showing an estimated arrival of the 12th.

Of course, I also ordered on July 10th when it first went up, so...

Im pretty sure the Persona 4 artbook are here in my area finally [Louisiana] I really wish they sent the game out this week or have it today so i don't have to go wednesday. what's the cheapest new ps2 out there. $99?

Shanks

RickA238 said:

Same as Blackjack. I have 2 day showing arrival on the 12th.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I literally started P3 on Monday. Should I skip it and jump straight to 4 or is 3 worth a play-through?

Tamanon

Banned
suffah said:
I literally started P3 on Monday. Should I skip it and jump straight to 4 or is 3 worth a play-through?

They're both worth a playthrough, excellent games that you don't need to play in order.

dfyb

Banned
so how import friendly is this game? i nearly have a japanese minor, but still feel pretty lost when trying to translate things in their entirety. american VAing is annoying though.

Shanks

dfyb said:
so how import friendly is this game? i nearly have a japanese minor, but still feel pretty lost when trying to translate things in their entirety. american VAing is annoying though.

Annoying? It seems pretty well done personally...

Dunno why you'd want to import it now, what with the US version coming out in a few days. If it's anything like P3, it's insanely text heavy.

Tamanon

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Dunno why you'd want to import it now, what with the US version coming out in a few days. If it's anything like P3, it's insanely text heavy.

I think the localization interview said it was about 150% the size of the P3 script.

RocketDarkness said:

Elementary, my dear Watson:

dfyb
Not just insane, he's batshit fucking insane

Blackjack

RocketDarkness said:
bcuz japnes voices r best lol :lol :lol :D

dfyb

Banned
guys, i'm learning japanese (almost done with 5th semester). there's benefits for me to play an import -- i'm just curious if there's furigana etc.

Shit man. I thought they so had the game in today. Went there and ask and they said they have persona 4 in the back. But nope ;( They just got the strategy guide in and the artbook. So I went ahead and picked up the artbook and got the strategy guide [didn't pick that up since they was like you get a discount when you pick both the game and guide up at the same time. No worries though.] as well. still no system to play it on :lol

Nich, I was actually going to mention that I never got that... briefcase you were supposed to have delivered.

The briefcase with the money.

stawnkald

All these awesome reviews...

If for some reason Persona 4 is left out of GOTY discussion on the major sites and in the magazines I'm going to
fuck some people up
write a strongly-worded letter to my congressman.

Blackjack

Guled said:
what type of spoilers dose the artbook have? Story spoilers, or just persona/boss spoilers?
I don't have it,but knowing the things I do, I would assume character/story spoilers AND boss/Persona spoilers.

Top Bottom