• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Same town, multiplayer... Haha, this sort of stuff and the recent Last Remnant reviews makes me wonder why they even bother anymore.

Error said:
The gamecritics review is retarded. He mentions there is no multiplayer, as if someone actually gives a shit about that.

:lol :lol That has made my day. Its almost as entertaining when the IGN and Gamespot reviews came in for P3, and they both had some paragraphs that were exactly the same.
Someone copied the Press Release.

Yaweee

Durante said:
Ugh.

Every game must have multiplayer!!!

I hate "professional" reviewers.

The note about multiplayer was in their disclosure section, which says how much time they spent playing what game modes. It isn't something that factored into the review, just a description of "We played X hours of single player. There is no multiplayer."

If anything, disclosures like that are good review practice, even if I strongly disagree with reviewing a game when you're only halfway through it.

stawnkald

There's just not enough genuine RPG gamers in the business right now, or at least the ones that really give a shit about the genre. 1UP is lucky to have one, and IGN used to before Dunham got promoted. They've really gone to shit over there since that happened. Unless you stick to an RPG enthusiast site it's going to be loaded with silly stuff like "no multiplayer wtf" and "lol same town".

It almost makes me want to get back in the review game...but I still have some of my sanity. :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Yaweee said:
The GameZone review originally said it, but it looks like it's been edited out since then.

Somebody on the Atlus forum quoted the review.

that would be me who reviewed it over at Gamezone. When I asked the Atlus rep if the cities were the same, as their PR sheet they gave me said, I believed it. So I sent my review in on Saturday after about 50 or so hours of gameplay. Then Sunday I put my time into Persona 3 to see if the cities were truly the same and they weren't, so sent a revised copy on Monday which was the embargo date.

Thus, gamezone put up the old review rather than the new one I sent in. They fixed it mid-day after I noticed they had the old review up.

Joule

Tamanon said:
BTW, nobody told me they finally added the final ingredient to a successful JRPG!

Fishing minigame!

Stunning
Every rpg is better with a fishing minigame. Breath of Fire knew what it was doing.

birdchili

Joule said:
Every rpg is better with a fishing minigame. Breath of Fire knew what it was doing.
i feel fairly confident that persona will not benefit in a significant way by the addition of a fishing minigame. i'm somewhat skeptical regarding the weapon crafting system too, actually, though it has a better chance of being interesting.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Nice reviews so far, cannot wait. 40+ hours guaranteed.

If you know, spoil it probably, but are crafting persona recipes the same?

Yaweee said:
If anything, disclosures like that are good review practice, even if I strongly disagree with reviewing a game when you're only halfway through it.

I understand for a reviewer time is a luxury given their schedules and what not. Yet for a RPG to only review based on the first half of it leaves out that second half that make or break it for some people. Many games are "different" once you hit that half towards the end.

Blackjack

Urban Scholar said:
I understand for a reviewer time is a luxury given their schedules and what not. Yet for a RPG to only review based on the first half of it leaves out that second half that make or break it for some people. Many games are "different" once you hit that half towards the end.
Eh. I can understand that. At the same, though, as a consumer, if it takes 42 hours for something to get good, I'm...really not interested.

(obviously, not the case with P4 as it is awesome right from the start, but in general terms)

Yaweee

The lowest review so far at Popmatters, 8/10 A lower score than they gave P3:FES, but it was also by a different reviewer.

Their main complaint was the high difficulty and hours upon hours of lost progress by getting one-shotted.

Volcynika

I'm still deciding whether to start on Expert on my first run or not. That is, pending on whether Expert is available at the start.

Blackjack

If it's at all like FES, starting on the highest difficulty will only make it fuckyou hard for the first five-ten hours and after that it'll be just as easy as any other seeting, only more annoying due to increased compendium costs.

Volcynika

Blackjack said:
If it's at all like FES, starting on the highest difficulty will only make it fuckyou hard for the first five-ten hours and after that it'll be just as easy as any other seeting, only more annoying due to increased compendium costs.

Yeah. Shouta said that there are some very brutal boss battles later on though, so I'm not sure.

Yaweee said:
The lowest review so far at Popmatters, 8/10 A lower score than they gave P3:FES, but it was also by a different reviewer.

Their main complaint was the high difficulty and hours upon hours of lost progress by getting one-shotted.

*snicker* sounds like somebody was playing a SMT game wrong.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Blackjack said:
Eh. Not really. A lucky crit or a Mudo/Hama from an unexpected source can still ruin your day.

I think he might have meant not saving near constantly, but that might just be because I have lost 3 or so hours of work in 3 by getting Mudo'd. :p

Metroidvania said:
I think he might have meant not saving near constantly, but that might just be because I have lost 3 or so hours of work in 3 by getting Mudo'd. :p

:D

Blackjack said:
Eh. Not really. A lucky crit or a Mudo/Hama from an unexpected source can still ruin your day.

Yeah you're right, I've just gotten to a point with the series to expect that kind of thing more often than not.

birdchili

Blackjack said:
true. but if you're not making it a *top priority* for your main character to have immunity, you're definitely doing it wrong.

p3 had those idols (?) that blocked insta-death attacks. you were insane to go into an unknown area without one in your inventory.

p3 was pretty reasonable wrt insta-death attack (compared to nocturne). it's not like you need to have *everyone* protected.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If the MC dies in P4 is it game over like in P3? Or can you revive him with the other characters? If so, then Hama/Mudo will be even less an issue this time.

Volcynika

Blackjack said:
I think it's still "MC dead = game over." Which really makes no sense at all in a Persona game, but whatever.

That was one of my few gripes. It's kind of annoying. And thanks for the heads up on that, Heretic.

NichM

Banned
Fuu said:
If the MC dies in P4 is it game over like in P3? Or can you revive him with the other characters? If so, then Hama/Mudo will be even less an issue this time.

It's still like in P3, but starting at level 1 in their social link, your party members will now take a mortal blow for you once per battle. I think Hama/Mudo counts towards this, but I can't remember precisely. Anyone play the Japanese game can confirm or deny?

birdchili

dead MC=game over is fine.

it's going to make having strong slinks with your party members more important (due to the "taking a bullet" mechanic that kicks in), so you'll have reasons other than immunities/level to pick certain party configs over others, which is always good in my books.

i'm going "hard mode" from the start, with full manual party control turned on. in spite of liking the ai system a lot from the first one. i can't not use full manual if they offer it. i'd have preferred that they just "fixed" the ai from the first and didn't give you a manual option, frankly.

Volcynika

NichM said:
It's still like in P3, but starting at level 1 in their social link, your party members will now take a mortal blow for you once per battle. I think Hama/Mudo counts towards this, but I can't remember precisely. Anyone play the Japanese game can confirm or deny?

Awesome. Takes a bit of the stress off.

Blackjack

birdchili said:
dead MC=game over is fine.

it's going to make having strong slinks with your party members more important (due to the "taking a bullet" mechanic that kicks in), so you'll have reasons other than immunities/level to pick certain party configs over others, which is always good in my books.

i'm going "hard mode" from the start, with full manual party control turned on. in spite of liking the ai system a lot from the first one. i can't not use full manual if they offer it. i'd have preferred that they just "fixed" the ai from the first and didn't give you a manual option, frankly.
You can't "fix" AI. It is always going to make boneheaded choices sometimes. The only way to fix it would be to limit their actual skill set.

NichM said:
Isn't the chance for that random, though?

Heretic

NichM said:

shouldn't you be at work!? i don't see you here...

birdchili

Blackjack said:
You can't "fix" AI. It is always going to make boneheaded choices sometimes. The only way to fix it would be to limit their actual skill set.
i don't want to have the ai never make mistakes - it's fine if it does sometimes (particularly if they use it to give characters a personality (say a character who's full of bravado will go for the uber-physical attack even when a less costly attack would suffice)).

the ai in p3 did some truly dumb stuff though: casting buffs and de-buffs during fights that weren't going to go to round 2 being the most annoying that i can think of off the top of my head.

the ai sped up the combat so much though. it was definitely important to switch up various character settings now and then, but you were generally making far fewer inputs per round.

with a manual option, the ai is going to be more annoying, so i won't use it. in p3 i mostly could predict the dumb crap my companions would do and i just worked around it.

zoku88

Huh, I rarely had problems with AI in P3. Actually, my only problem was that they didn't do enough buffing/debuffing, so I had to do that stuff myself.

So, i mostly had them on knockdown. I think there were some boss battles in FES (maybe just one) where I did not get hurt at at all.)

zurra

No matter how retarded an AI can be, it should never repeatedly use a spell with an element that heals the enemy. My biggest gripe with P3's AI is that it didn't learn from its mistakes. And when they'd knock down an enemy and then use a normal attack on it (which would sometimes heal it, too). Whether or not the AI was set to knock down everything, at times I would have preferred it.

You know, what it needed was a Retardedness slider so you could tune the party to your playstyle and mood!

NichM

Banned
Blackjack said:
Isn't the chance for that random, though?

It wasn't in my experience. If you ran out of chances (all your party members pushed you out of the way) then you were screwed on the next attack, but I don't think they ever failed to block the first one.

Also, I just asked the testers and the party members will block a successful Hama/Mudo hit, leaving them with 1 HP afterward. So yeah, there's more of a buffer than there was in P3 even if you don't have any Homunculi.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
zurra said:
No matter how retarded an AI can be, it should never repeatedly use a spell with an element that heals the enemy.!
that never happened to me, if you analyze the enemy then the AI won't use spells that benefits the enemy.

Of course if you didn't analyze then the AI would act all retard like.

Blackjack

NichM said:
It wasn't in my experience. If you ran out of chances (all your party members pushed you out of the way) then you were screwed on the next attack, but I don't think they ever failed to block the first one.

Also, I just asked the testers and the party members will block a successful Hama/Mudo hit, leaving them with 1 HP afterward. So yeah, there's more of a buffer than there was in P3 even if you don't have any Homunculi.
Ah, so it's just the other ones that are random, then? I know SOMETHING'S random, dammit! :lol

Shanks

Supposedly they are going to post Naoto's video up on the site later tonight. I wonder how they handled it...

birdchili

so mudo/hama now cause instant death unless you're selflessly "taking one for the team", in which case they leave you with 1hp?

the shadows don't stand a chance against the power of friendship and love!

Tamanon

Banned
o_O....what the hell is Fusion Forecast. It's in one of the new Velvet Room videos, looks like a bonus for doing a fusion on a certain day.

Tamanon said:
o_O....what the hell is Fusion Forecast. It's in one of the new Velvet Room videos, looks like a bonus for doing a fusion on a certain day.

Well that would work similarly to Full Moon fusions in Nocturne wouldn't it?

Blackjack

Shanks said:
For some reason Naoto sounds like The Boss from MGS3 to me. I agree very much with their choice!
I saw what you did there :lol

Does anyone recognize Naoto's voice, though? I'm always really bad at that.

zurra

Naoto sounds greeeeat. This is going to be Persona 3 all over again, keeping every party member around the same level and racking up a ridiculous amount of playtime. Which of the characters has the best healing spells? In P3 the only person that never left my party was Yukari since she covered that quite well. I didn't want to bother with it on the main too much.
Error said:
that never happened to me, if you analyze the enemy then the AI won't use spells that benefits the enemy.

Of course if you didn't analyze then the AI would act all retard like.
Well, it didn't happen often for normal enemies (especially once they were analyzed), but bosses, on the other hand... enough times to be annoying. There were also those times when the enemy reflected/absorbed a character's element and they did absolutely nothing, when they could have been healing or buffing.

My favorite was when an enemy used a skill to reflect damage, and the characters ended up killing themselves or most of the party. That was more hilarious than annoying. :lol

Blackjack

zurra said:
Which of the characters has the best healing spells? In P3 the only person that never left my party was Yukari since she covered that quite well. I didn't want to bother with it on the main too much.
Yukiko is the healer of the group.

Top Bottom