• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

firex

ZephyrFate said:
However, the weapon you get for Yukiko for beating it is well worth the trouble. +40 SP for the win.
yeah, I got it like a month or so ago ingame when I was on the 4th dungeon I think, and I still use it now.

So after the incredibly long intro part of the game i finally got into the meat of the game and i must say. . .

Its fucking awesome, I'm already addicted. Can't believe I skipped out on P3:FES to play Rouge Galaxy.

P4 is awesome!

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, Yukiko is usually the last person to ever run out of SP for me, so I give her a +Magic weapon usually.

BTW, I can't tell for sure, but does your weapon affect your physical attack skills? Or just Strength?

2DMention

Banned
I've been skipping social activites so I can buy the Sunday TV channel stuff, but I noticed it's not always the top equipment at the time.

Anybody else going for all the home shopping channel stuff all the time?

Guled

2DMention said:
I've been skipping social activites so I can buy the Sunday TV channel stuff, but I noticed it's not always the top equipment at the time.

Anybody else going for all the home shopping channel stuff all the time?
I do, its not like those calls increase the persons SL level. You can go out and find most people in the afternoon on sundays. Also, do you guys do dungeons on rainy days or as soon as you could?

firex

Tamanon said:
Eh, Yukiko is usually the last person to ever run out of SP for me, so I give her a +Magic weapon usually.

BTW, I can't tell for sure, but does your weapon affect your physical attack skills? Or just Strength?
I did have a +5 magic weapon for her, but I didn't notice any big difference in her healing/agi damage without it, so I just gave her that +50 SP fan. plus, her old weapon sold for more.

2DMention

Banned
I usually go for the meat bowl special on rainy days.

As far as I can tell, it only pays to go to the dungeon on rainy days if you have a lot of keys for chests, because there's more of them on rainy days.

Tamanon said:

I've never tested, but I always assume they do. However, I'm almost certain they affect the rush attack, which is why Yukiko actually has a decent weapon for me.

Guled

2DMention said:
I usually go for the meat bowl special on rainy days.

As far as I can tell, it only pays to go to the dungeon on rainy days if you have a lot of keys for chests, because there's more of them on rainy days.
That I know, but you can't really do your team mates SL or your Uncle until you rescue them. It only starts raining a couple of days before you can rescue them

firex

oh yeah. on rainy days, I used to go to the beef bowl shop. now that I maxed all the social stats, I go into the dungeons. you can fight rare (and annoying) monsters in each dungeon on rainy days, and they'll drop rare items that make new weapons/armor.

Sushen

I don't know why they didn't add Load option in system menu. this is one of those games that I reload every few minutes and it's really annoying having to go back to title screen. It's as bad as not having restart option in Ninja Gaiden where the game expects you to try over and over.

Sushen said:
I don't know why they didn't add Load option in system menu. this is one of those games that I reload every few minutes and it's really annoying having to go back to title screen. It's as bad as not having restart option in Ninja Gaiden where the game expects you to try over and over.
Yeah, that's bothered me. :\

So despite playing a lot of RPG's starting in the NES era, this is my first Persona game. I have to say, that I was really getting jaded from the typical JRPG mecahnics, but this game is a terrific breath of fresh air. I'm not even past the first dungeon, but the polish is amazing, the battle system is a lot of fun, and never have I felt like getting through parts was like a chore. This game may have single-handedly restored my faith in JRPG's. :)

dragonknight337

Neo Member
The only time I wasn't rocking it out with Yukiko, Chie, and Yosuke, was going to fight a bonus boss with Kanji, Naoto, and Teddie. The original 3 are pretty awesome at higher levels, never saw a need to switch over. Although I do like Naoto's all out attack screen. <3

dragonknight337 said:
The only time I wasn't rocking it out with Yukiko, Chie, and Yosuke, was going to fight a bonus boss with Kanji, Naoto, and Teddie. The original 3 are pretty awesome at higher levels, never saw a need to switch over. Although I do like Naoto's all out attack screen. <3

i agree, especially once u max out their s. link, only yukiko still has an elemental weakness. i chose to focus on those 3 s. links and rise since i felt those were really the only ones needed.

TimeKillr

donkey show said:
Man, fuck that greedy fox.

He's the reason I did my best to max out Hermit as early as possible.. I'm in September now and rank 9 - rank 10 is a bitch to do because it's so damn random :(

I just got SMT'd in
Naoto's
dungeon. Those damn Gigas who aren't weak to anything and use Rebellion.. They love to crit WAAY too much. I'm underleveled too for that place - barely level 40 with everyone. I kept leveling up a lot when I entered the dungeon, though. I had Kanji and Teddie in my party and I hadn't used them in a while.. They leveled up every fight for like 6 fights in a row. It was kinda funny.

But then again it seems the more the game goes on the more there are "no weaknesses" enemies. I don't get why they're there, especially since getting the first hit advantage is MUCH harder in P4 than it was in P3 (horrible weapon to hit enemies with + no menu exploit, heh) so it artificially ups the difficulty. Okay, so I can control everyone manually, but enemies in battle frequently hit my characters for WAAY too much - most mobs do 50% damage to my characters in this dungeon.

firex

Any enemy with no weaknesses should be attacked with status spells if at all possible. I've found confusion especially works a lot against most of those big bruiser enemies who are strong against all conventional forms of attack. Although I admit, the ones you're talking about are a pain because I think Skull Crusher has a bigger confuse chance than Tentarafoo, but they can counter Skull Crusher.

Also, light/dark are more effective than in P3. I barely used them in P3 outside of cheesing Monad with Die for Me! and Mudo Boost, while in P4 it seems like if they are weak, then they hit 100% of the time, and if they aren't weak (but aren't str/null/repel) they still hit at least 25% of the time for Hamaon/Mudoon.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
wangman31888 said:
i agree, especially once u max out their s. link, only yukiko still has an elemental weakness. i chose to focus on those 3 s. links and rise since i felt those were really the only ones needed.

Actually, she's not the only one.

Teddy does as well. Makes sense, if either of the two healers got rid of their weaknesses, it'd be pretty imbalanced.

while in P4 it seems like if they are weak, then they hit 100% of the time,

This is true AFAIK for P4, but wasn't it the same in P3? I didn't experiment a lot with them, but it always seemed to work if they were weak.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
TimeKillr said:
But then again it seems the more the game goes on the more there are "no weaknesses" enemies. I don't get why they're there, especially since getting the first hit advantage is MUCH harder in P4 than it was in P3 (horrible weapon to hit enemies with + no menu exploit, heh) so it artificially ups the difficulty. Okay, so I can control everyone manually, but enemies in battle frequently hit my characters for WAAY too much - most mobs do 50% damage to my characters in this dungeon.
Yeah, it's way harder to get the advantage now, and it's still as important as ever. That + some enemies moving so slowly and staring at your direction for like forever makes going through some floors a pain. Then the MC only being able to use one type of weapon and the shadows seeing you from their backs doesn't help in hitting the enemies from behind. I feel like I'm wasting just too much time having to mind stuff that happens out of battles in the dungeons, waiting around to get a chance, etc.

I like the difficulty (and sometimes cheapness) of the SMT games but it gets pretty frustrating when because of clumsy outside of battle movement you get hit with an enemy advantage by a group of shadows that have no weaknesses and the only thing they do is kick your ass and make you lose tons of hp before you get the chance to run away since that battle itself won't be worth the waste of time/hp/sp.

It pains me to say this but the dungeon crawling aspect in P4 is turning out to be tiring and bothersome instead of addictive and fun like it was in P3 to me, and it's making getting back to the game harder than I would like it to be.

Tamanon

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Actually, she's not the only one.

Teddy does as well. Makes sense, if either of the two healers got rid of their weaknesses, it'd be pretty imbalanced.

This is true AFAIK for P4, but wasn't it the same in P3? I didn't experiment a lot with them, but it always seemed to work if they were weak.

Lord no, if they were weak to hama/mudo, you were still looking at maybe a 50% shot of hitting in P3.:lol

Joule

True ending get. The last boss was pretty easy though there was a close one mid way through the fight. A level 42 Hanuman was pretty all I needed for the fight. MC was a buff/debuff slave.

Is this the first time Izanami's been an enemy in a SMT game?

The ending itself was pretty good but I feel the pacing of the endgame sort of lessens its impact in a way. Think P3 was better in this respect as well as the end portions of the last fight.

While seeing your team get Thousand Cursed because they took the hit for you was excellent, the auto battle portion felt a little dry compared to P3. "Woof" "Let's do this"

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This game is actually pretty hilarious. Some of the scenes in this game actually make me laugh out loud HISTERICALLY. The funniest scene for me was pretty much the entirety of the mountain camping trip or actually any of the big group scenes.

Wow, this tastes AWFUL.
lolololololol

Also little touches like,
You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension;
always make me chuckle.

Volcynika

Man, this sixth dungeon is kinda eh, since
I traded out Yosuke for Naoto, but Naoto has only one Slink upgrade, so she can't take the hits like a deathblow.

Just beat
4th? Rise
dungeon and I am fully involved in the characters at this point. Amazing game, hopefully I can hit that 40 hour mark soon :D

MechaX

Beat the game earlier today, and.. wow. It sucks that I always have an "empty, hollow feeling" after beating a game I really enjoyed, let alone a game with a superb cast (Hell, I like the P4 cast better than the P3 cast, and I liked the P3 cast better than 98% of video game casts ever). The true ending boss was not too bad. Fought the boss with a level 82 MC with level 78-79 party members. Personally.. the boss wasn't that bad. With a party of the starting four (MC, Chie, Yosuke, Yukiko), I pretty much steamrolled the boss. The MC did nothing but buffs and debuffs with Black Frost and Tam Lim, Chie used her sublime Power Charge + God Hand combo, Yukiko spammed healing spells with the accessory that makes spells cost half SP (Get it from the Heaven optional boss), and Yosuke pretty much did whatever.

As for the end-game itself (Spoilers for December and on & some P3 Spoilers)
I found it interesting that they decided to pull an Ikutsuki with Adachi. Although, I might have been a little bit more surprised if the art book didn't show a portrait of his Shadow. While it came out of left field at first, I recall that I have encountered people a lot like Adachi in real life. Pretty high up there on the Antisocial disorder scale and pretty much treats everything as a game. But still, everything made sense in the end, which contrasts to how even I was tripped up by how the previous two "killers" factored into everything. Although, I scratched my head when discovering that everything was orchestrated by an angry god masquerading as a Gas Station Attendant...

I almost thought they were seriously going to kill Nanako off. That would have taken serious balls to do that, but eh. I was kinda glad when she survived. Shows that P4 doesn't have to be nearly as depressing as P3 at times to get its point across. Also, the entire 12/3 event was one of the most intense, well-voiced scenes in recent memory. Kudos to all of the voice actors on that one.

The entire fight with Izanami was pretty good but it did not have the power that P3's final event did. That, and despite how Nyx Avatar had way too much HP for his own good, I'd give the slight edge to Nyx Avatar over Izanami, as things with Izanami did not feel that epic up until your party members started sacrificing themselves one by one.

In all, pretty much one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The plot kept me engaged and the characters themselves were absolutely fantastic (The school camp out, the school trip, and the Culture Festival pretty much had me laughing hysterically. Especially the
cross-dressing contest
at the Culture Festival). It's a shame I'll have to go back to playing run-of-the-mill RPGs after this one, but hey.

Blackjack

grandjedi6 said:
So what did everyone name their main characters? I'm rocking out with "Hero Tagonist" ;)
First playthrough I named him Souji Seta.

Second playthrough I named him what they call him in game: Awkward Pause.

firex

damn, I wish I had used Teddie sooner. I've basically waited until the final dungeon to do so, but he gets so many more actual useful skills, unlike shitty Yosuke. I don't really care that he's got a weakness when I have accessories that cover it.

I am loving this game soooo much but every 10 minutes I keep thinking how awesome it would be if it was a PS3 game instead. Just being in widescreen and HD would be enough.

I'm avoiding most of this thread so I don't accidentally spoil myself. I've just finished the third dungeon and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Still having a tough time deciding which S-Link to hang with each day, but that's part of the fun. It also sets the scene for a more streamlined new game +.

Does anyone else immediately think of The Bishop from Monty Python before confronting the main boss of each dungeon? "No, don't say it...!"

Err, maybe it's just me.

Kweh

I need to understand how developing your character works.

As an example, if i want to increase my players strength, do I equip and level up on a Strength Persona?

firex

Kweh said:
I need to understand how developing your character works.

As an example, if i want to increase my players strength, do I equip and level up on a Strength Persona?
All your combat stats are entirely based upon your Persona. there's no increasing strength and then equipping a low strength Persona or anything like that. They gain their stats independently as you level up a Persona. Player level determines what level of Personas you can create/command through fusion, your max HP, and your max SP. That's it.

Social stats, on the other hand, you raise by doing different club activities, answering correctly in class (for yourself or classmates), eating food at the beef bowl shop, reading books, working part time jobs, and lots of other things that use up a phase of the day.

totowhoa

Banned
I got drunk last night and beat the sixth dungeon boss.. loved him, he was lots of fun. It was a very creative battle.
Magic reflection
totally made him a cinch though! I continued on and beat the game. Wow. I had the same hollow feeling a poster mentioned above me... I can't believe it's over. I just sort of stared at the credits for a few minutes.

I totally must have gotten the bad ending, too. It was incredibly inconclusive :D Spoils:

The deadly fog was never explained... Teddie just ran off back to his own world without saying goodbye! They introduced another shadow... true ending boss, I guess? But I never fought him. I was drunk when I was answering those final questions so I don't doubt that I definitely made the wrong choices. 3 months went by and suddenly it was march and my character was on the train... sigh.

Can't decide if I'm going to power through a new game+ now or not. I really want to play DDS. I might save it for later. It took me about 61 hours to reach the credits.

totowhoa

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I'm amazingly creative with my names, so, of course, I named him Phoenix Crow.

Don't lie, that damn last name first business almost fucked me up the first time I saw it too :D

I just gave my character my own name. I don't normally, but when a game actually focuses on taking the role of a character, I enjoy it

MechaX

Sklorenz said:
I totally must have gotten the bad ending, too. It was incredibly inconclusive :D Spoils:

The deadly fog was never explained... Teddie just ran off back to his own world without saying goodbye! They introduced another shadow... true ending boss, I guess? But I never fought him. I was drunk when I was answering those final questions so I don't doubt that I definitely made the wrong choices. 3 months went by and suddenly it was march and my character was on the train... sigh.

Can't decide if I'm going to power through a new game+ now or not. I really want to play DDS. I might save it for later. It took me about 61 hours to reach the credits.

Yeah, you definitely got the bad ending (Although, there are two Bad Endings: One where Nanako stays dead, and another where she manages to live, but everything still remains unresolved all the same). What you want to do is to pick the choices that basically stall for time in the hospital cutscene ("Wait a minute", "We're missing something here," etc). I'd personally say just go for the true ending: It will only add probably 5 more hours on the clock at best.

firex said:
damn, I wish I had used Teddie sooner. I've basically waited until the final dungeon to do so, but he gets so many more actual useful skills, unlike shitty Yosuke. I don't really care that he's got a weakness when I have accessories that cover it.

I dunno about Teddie's endgame potential that much, but Yosuke is borderline broken with the right setup. When considering that most enemies are either neutral or weak to wind, a single Magarudyne can pretty much wipe out an entire group from the get go (We're talking 200-550 on every enemy, which can wipe out or severely damage the strongest mobs in the final two dungeons). Plus, Wind Boost and Wind Amp actually stack, so Yosuke will even outdamage the Main Character in terms of straight up elemental damage. It's still only a fraction compared to Chie's Power Charge + Tarukaja + God Hand combo, but every bit helps.

totowhoa

Banned
MechaX said:
Yeah, you definitely got the bad ending (Although, there are two Bad Endings: One where Nanako stays dead, and another where she manages to live, but everything still remains unresolved all the same). What you want to do is to pick the choices that basically stall for time in the hospital cutscene ("Wait a minute", "We're missing something here," etc). I'd personally say just go for the true ending: It will only add probably 5 more hours on the clock at best.

At least Nanako didn't die in mine! Yeah I was just reading how to get the true ending on gamefaqs... do you need to have all your social links maxed or at least active to get it though? Or does it not matter at all? I started the devil link late, and I just received access to the old woman, but I'm not sure if I'll have an available afternoon to visit her and start it up or not.

MechaX

Sklorenz said:
At least Nanako didn't die in mine! Yeah I was just reading how to get the true ending on gamefaqs... do you need to have all your social links maxed or at least active to get it though? Or does it not matter at all? I started the devil link late, and I just received access to the old woman, but I'm not sure if I'll have an available afternoon to visit her and start it up or not.

Nope. All you really need to do is just talk to the Social Links you maxed out during 3/20. If you only maxed out two, for instance, talk to those two characters, and you're good to go for the True Ending.

MechaX said:
As for the end-game itself (Spoilers for December and on & some P3 Spoilers)
I found it interesting that they decided to pull an Ikutsuki with Adachi. Although, I might have been a little bit more surprised if the art book didn't show a portrait of his Shadow. While it came out of left field at first, I recall that I have encountered people a lot like Adachi in real life. Pretty high up there on the Antisocial disorder scale and pretty much treats everything as a game. But still, everything made sense in the end, which contrasts to how even I was tripped up by how the previous two "killers" factored into everything. Although, I scratched my head when discovering that everything was orchestrated by an angry god masquerading as a Gas Station Attendant...

Honestly, I thought that the Adachi thing was WAYYYYYYYYYYY too predictable. Just the way he acted over the course of the game just screamed "I'm not who you think I am!" It was one of those things where I thought the game was tricking me into thinking that, though...you know, like Adachi as the culprit was almost too obvious, you know? Haha, so it confused me a bit at the end of the game...I kept thinking that Adachi was the killer, but it's too obvious, so the game's tricking me...Yukiko, maybe? :lol

Top Bottom