• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

FSLink

Banned
Original four for me as well.

Just stick Zio skills on the MC's Persona and you got all types covered. (Of course, you could just use a multielement Persona, but I like to save my MC's SP...) Kanji's magic is pretty meh anyway, so I don't use him too often. Occasionally I swap out Yukiko for Teddie depending on weaknesses.

Yosuke almost always stays though, fast speed, Sukakaja, okay healing skills, Tentarafoo (handy on tons of enemies), and awesome Wind Magic.

EDIT: Read back a few pages and saw that some of you took that personality test for the arcanas thing.
I took that awhile ago when playing P3...and I got a 4-way tie.
Fool/Priestess/Emperor/Lovers.

Made me do a lame tiebreaker thing and ended up with Fool.

Sushen

Tamanon said:
The original four for me, Yosuke, Yukiko, Chie. Although I'm tempted to try a Kanji, Chie, Teddie playthrough.
Thing is that once I stop use one char, his/her level falls behind and making him/her less useful. Should I be rotating the team to spread the levels?

DiddyBop

fucking christ:lol
when teddie becomes a real boy and yosuke asks kani if he's his type
:lol i yosuke's teasing keeps up throughout the game:lol

GOTY!

Boulayman

I keep switching my party over. Trying to keep everyone at around the same level and pick my characters depending on what seems to be the main weaknesses/strenghts of the regular foes in a particular dungeon. But, I do tend to keep Yukiko in my party (she's pretty much at the same level as my MC) Not too fond of Yosuke for now but it really depends on what skills they currently have

Btw, I maxed out her S-link. Am I supposed to do anything more like spending time with her or can I move on to the next girl without risk of Yukiko getting mad at me (wonder if you can date that nurse... mischevious smile :) Rise could be fun too )

Btw, I was able to beat that Void Quest boss. One of my toughest fights in an rpg yet. Really had to tough it up. (the toughest one being back when I was an even more inexperienced rpg gamer than I am now. It was in Suikoden 2 when I beat some kind of dragon while all my party was dead with an halleluyah simple physical attack from MC who had like 20 hp left and was about to kick the bucket in a few seconds.... That attack barely made any damage but it was just enough ^^ Man was I happy that day :))

firex

man, I'm such a nerd. I set up my alarm clock so when it wakes me up, it either plays Face Out to the Truth or Pursuing My True Self.

firex said:
man, I'm such a nerd. I set up my alarm clock so when it wakes me up, it either plays Face Out to the Truth or Pursuing My True Self.

Hey, I should do that. Getting tired of waking up to Holy Orders anyway. :lol

Endgame questions

So I'm about to take an Adachi's battle(he has a Persona?) and I'm only about level 71-2ish with mu party. Should I level more? And If I try for the true ending what levels should I be and should I just start leveling now?

Yaweee

Rahxephon91 said:
Endgame questions

So I'm about to take an Adachi's battle(he has a Persona?) and I'm only about level 71-2ish with mu party. Should I level more? And If I try for the true ending what levels should I be and should I just start leveling now?

The true boss is about the same level as the one before it (maybe 3-4 higher), and you should be fine for your current battle.

My team is Yosuke, Yukiko, and Chie. Though next game I'd like to play though with Kanji in the party.

Well, Dungeon 6 is really starting to piss me off. Not only are the most frequent enemies strong to almost everything and weak to nothing, I got SMT'd by an enemy group I'd never seen before.
That damn empress on the couch with dice block group. I got the empresses finished when the dice block exploded one shotting the MC. Not to mention, the first time I died, I lost a swank piece of armor for Chie.

Sushen

crowphoenix said:
Well, Dungeon 6 is really starting to piss me off. Not only are the most frequent enemies strong to almost everything and weak to nothing, I got SMT'd by an enemy group I'd never seen before.
That damn empress on the couch with dice block group. I got the empresses finished when the dice block exploded one shotting the MC. Not to mention, the first time I died, I lost a swank piece of armor for Chie.
That's what sucks about using random in games. I make games for living but that's a lazy way out for devs. Good devs come up with patterns that looks like random but they have total control over the situation; random death is not a challenge (or, any death that players have no way out with their skills). Not that, P4 is a bad game by any means, but that aspect of the game bothers me as a dev.

Yaweee

crowphoenix said:
My team is Yosuke, Yukiko, and Chie. Though next game I'd like to play though with Kanji in the party.

Everybody seems to be having problems with dungeon six, but for me that was the point where the normal battles started posing no difficulty at all. Just spam instant death spells with your newest member. It's the SMT way. Sure, that person is kind of useless in boss battles, but... none of the remaining bosses are particularly difficult.

Volcynika

Complaining about the dice blocks by dungeon six is silly. They're not random in any sort of the word. They sit there on stand by until their health is low enough, then spam a huge last attack to try and kill someone. Find out when their turn is and work around it.

It was the first time I fought them.
And I'd actually only dealt 25 damage to them. Besides, if you can't complain about getting SMT'd then the world has gone wrong.
:D

Edit: Just got SMT'd again.
MC got crit by the flame wheels and then smacked with heat wave.
:lol

Yaweee said:
Everybody seems to be having problems with dungeon six, but for me that was the point where the normal battles started posing no difficulty at all. Just spam instant death spells with your newest member. It's the SMT way. Sure, that person is kind of useless in boss battles, but... none of the remaining bosses are particularly difficult.
Mind Charge + Megidolaon says otherwise.

Yaweee

Volcynika said:
Complaining about the dice blocks by dungeon six is silly. They're not random in any sort of the word. They sit there on stand by until their health is low enough, then spam a huge last attack to try and kill someone. Find out when their turn is and work around it.

Last resort doesn't seem to be related to low HP in P4. I'd just guard with everybody through the encounter. One blows up after standing by for a turn or two, kills its friends.

Prime crotch said:
Mind Charge + Megidolaon says otherwise.

That consistently did less damage than Teddie or Yukiko's -dyne spells, even when using up an extra turn to cast Mind Charge. Not having any sort of Almighty Amp + Boost (or Vow) hurts tremendously.

(Okay, it might have been nearly equal, but still at the expense of an extra turn)

Tenks

Hmmm for me Chie seemed to start lagging behind in my group of MC, Kanji, Yukiko & Chie. I was considering replacing her with Teddie. I now have a large enough compendium that it isn't a huge deal to replace her Bufu spells with a specialized persona just for mabufu/la

Blackjack

Tenks said:
Hmmm for me Chie seemed to start lagging behind in my group of MC, Kanji, Yukiko & Chie. I was considering replacing her with Teddie. I now have a large enough compendium that it isn't a huge deal to replace her Bufu spells with a specialized persona just for mabufu/la
Chie kinda lags a bit in the middle levels. It is to make up for the extraordinary damage she does in the endgame.

Blackjack said:
Chie kinda lags a bit in the middle levels. It is to make up for the extraordinary damage she does in the endgame.
So I should stick with her? I was contemplating subing her out for
Naoto.
because she's starting to drag the party down.

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
So I should stick with her? I was contemplating subing her out for
Naoto.
because she's starting to drag the party down.
She will be dealing out 800-1200 damage each time she attacks once she learns Power Charge and God's Hand. More if you Tarukaja her and Rakunda the enemy. There is a video of her dealing over 15000 damage to an enemy.

She gets very, very good.

Do I have to sell the weapons maker old weapons/materials in order to get new stock? He's still only got the beginning weapons, but I haven't sold shit to him.

Tamanon

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Do I have to sell the weapons maker old weapons/materials in order to get new stock? He's still only got the beginning weapons, but I haven't sold shit to him.

Correct. Only makes new stuff from the mats you sell him.

Tamanon

Banned
For the record, I ignored the Fox S Link in my first run through of the game and greatly regret it. Once I got it up to Rank 5, I was able to knock out dungeons in one day, nevermind now that I've got it at Rank 9 waiting for the next rainy day to try for the Guardian.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
crowphoenix said:
It was the first time I fought them.
And I'd actually only dealt 25 damage to them. Besides, if you can't complain about getting SMT'd then the world has gone wrong.
:D

Edit: Just got SMT'd again.
MC got crit by the flame wheels and then smacked with heat wave.
:lol
I'm pretty sure all the dice enemies were like that so I learned to deal with them first from the start.

Tamanon said:
For the record, I ignored the Fox S Link in my first run through of the game and greatly regret it. Once I got it up to Rank 5, I was able to knock out dungeons in one day, nevermind now that I've got it at Rank 9 waiting for the next rainy day to try for the Guardian.
I'm at 5 and wish I had done more, but I just never think about the quests. :(

firex

wow, I got the bad ending thinking I was going to get a better one. way to make it like navigating a minefield, atlus.

firex said:
wow, I got the bad ending thinking I was going to get a better one. way to make it like navigating a minefield, atlus.
Tell me about it, after almost 30 to 40 minutes of trial and error I wished
she stayed dead
way too cheapen an emotional scene Atlus

FSLink

Banned
Yaweee said:
Man, I just noticed that the running silhouette at the title screen isn't always the MC. I'm either slow or unlucky.
I noticed it immediately when I saw Teddie as the silhouette for the first time. :p

2DMention

Banned
I'm having a bitch of time beating the
void dungeon
boss.

I do ok up until the 2nd sprite is reformed and it uses the megawhatever spell that does 200+ damage to every one as a 2nd attack.

I'm using
Teddie, Yukkio, and Kanji
as pt members. I'm lvl 36 or so. Do I need to grind?

I would've played on beginner if I knew the game was this fuckin' hard.

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
I'm having a bitch of time beating the
void dungeon
boss.

I do ok up until the 2nd sprite is reformed and it uses the megawhatever spell that does 200+ damage to every one as a 2nd attack.

I'm using
Teddie, Yukkio, and Kanji
as pt members. I'm lvl 36 or so. Do I need to grind?

I would've played on beginner if I knew the game was this fuckin' hard.

You need to grind a bit. I usually try and fight him at level 40 or so. On this playthrough since I don't have Teddie and Mediarama, I went up to level 43, but I've done it at 40 in the past.

Mediarama is basically required, it's cake if you have Divine Grace or those Blessed Hands from the fisherman(50% extra healing accessory, awesome on yukiko).

Also Black Frost is good if you're set on healing. Mind Charge + Bufula/Agidyne deals around 600 damage which is great for tearing down the armor.

Yaweee said:
It's the SMT way. Sure, that person is kind of useless in boss battles, but... none of the remaining bosses are particularly difficult.

Not having a weakness made that character useful for me against
Kunino-Sagiri. At the end of the battle (when it starts to cast Unerring Justice), Naoto was the only one with any SP left due to not using her specials much before that, and I could deal significant damage with her while the others were left with physicals.

Also for the void quest boss I didn't have Mediarama but with a Blaze Vow + Fire Amp you can deal damage fast enough.

Blackjack

Holy Order Sol said:
Not having a weakness made that character useful for me against
Kunino-Sagiri. At the end of the battle (when it starts to cast Unerring Justice), Naoto was the only one with any SP left due to not using her specials much before that, and I could deal significant damage with her while the others were left with physicals.

Also for the void quest boss I didn't have Mediarama but with a Blaze Vow + Fire Amp you can deal damage fast enough.
But by that point only two characters should have weaknesses at all.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah by that point, only Yukiko and Teddie have weaknesses. Which I assume is because they're healers so that you couldn't just powerheal through every boss battle. Makes me wonder if a more effective party would be Kanji, Chie, Yosuke for a heavy-hitting crew and the MC just heals during boss fights.

Tenks

I know towards the end of P3 I had my MC as my main healer. Obvious reasons is because Yukiko would generally favor Dia spells over Media spells. Of couse that was before getting Satan/Lucifer.

dragonknight337

Neo Member
Tamanon said:
If you're interested in that, I'm sure there are probably already dozens of stories/art about it.:lol

There are tons of it already. It really sucks liking the yuri pairings in a yaoi dominated fandom. *waits for Chie/Yukiko fic to start popping up* ;-;

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Spoilers about when you've finished the first dungeon, I guess:

I went back there to fight this new shadow, but man, there's like no strong enemies at that place to fight except for that boss shadow, which just did some attack which pretty much wiped my entire party out :O

Shouta

Tamanon said:
Yeah by that point, only Yukiko and Teddie have weaknesses. Which I assume is because they're healers so that you couldn't just powerheal through every boss battle. Makes me wonder if a more effective party would be Kanji, Chie, Yosuke for a heavy-hitting crew and the MC just heals during boss fights.

I trucked through with Yukiko still myself. Powerhealing for the win. Although, I think I had an item that really reduced damage against her. I swore her upgrade protected her from Ice though.

Guled

ItsInMyVeins said:

I went back there to fight this new shadow, but man, there's like no strong enemies at that place to fight except for that boss shadow, which just did some attack which pretty much wiped my entire party out :O
get a persona thats strong against physical attacks, also use turanda. Level 18 is the recommended level, just make sure to keep your health up.

Tamanon

Banned
Shouta said:
I trucked through with Yukiko still myself. Powerhealing for the win. Although, I think I had an item that really reduced damage against her. I swore her upgrade protected her from Ice though.

Nope, she's still weak to Ice and Teddie's still weak to Lightning. Although yeah I went through my first playthrough with both of them just fine. Just judicious use of the guard ability at certain times.

Shouta

Tamanon said:
Nope, she's still weak to Ice and Teddie's still weak to Lightning. Although yeah I went through my first playthrough with both of them just fine. Just judicious use of the guard ability at certain times.

Yeah, I may have gotten something to protect her from her Ice weakness then. Her magic attack and healing were uber and I didn't get cranked on like I did with Kuma in the party.

firex

ItsInMyVeins said:

If you have to level up more for that fight, there's no reason not to go back after you finish the second dungeon. These bonus bosses can be fought anytime.

Beat the first dungeon and just went through the
exams
at school. This is my first Atlus RPG, and I'm really enjoying it (playing it on normal and it's not as bad as I thought, though I died once at the last Dungeon 1 boss). The social stuff is really addicting! I have a question - I beat the first dungeon boss at lv. 14 and now I'm at 16 but can't for the life of me beat
the tough shadow that showed up at the top of the castle (who keeps using that damn-near kill everyone attack)
. Should that be left for later, or am I leveling a bit too slow for where I am in the game (or am I just weaksauce at the game, hehe)?

[edit] Whoah, nevermind, seems my question's just been answered in the last few posts!

firex said:
If you have to level up more for that fight, there's no reason not to go back after you finish the second dungeon. These bonus bosses can be fought anytime.
However, the weapon you get for Yukiko for beating it is well worth the trouble. +40 SP for the win.

Blackjack

ZephyrFate said:
However, the weapon you get for Yukiko for beating it is well worth the trouble. +40 SP for the win.
It's +50 actually -- even better! I left that weapon on for pretty much the entire game. :lol Yukiko doesn't NEED to attack physically.

Top Bottom