• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

zoku88

Volcynika said:
Yeah, the ending stuff, regarding the True Ending:
I just got destroyed when the real form came out, stupid huge physical attack. I'm level 85 too. D:
Oh, you're playing on expert right? I forgot.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
Yep! It's a bitch.
Well, sucks for you! ;P

I prolly should've played on expert, the normal mode was kinda of too easy in the true ending >.>

Im guessing you already lowered her attack somehow and upped everyone's defense?

Volcynika

zoku88 said:
Well, sucks for you! ;P

I prolly should've played on expert, the normal mode was kinda of too easy in the true ending >.>

Im guessing you already lowered her attack somehow and upped everyone's defense?

Not yet, I have to create some more Personas that would have skills like that. D:

Does expert mode amp up the Compendium costs like it did in P3?

Beat the September dungeon last night. I shoulda seen that reveal coming, and yet somehow, I didn't. Explains a lot, though, hahah.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
Not yet, I have to create some more Personas that would have skills like that. D:
That's why I love trumpeteer so much. Too bad he's so hard/expensive to get

He has a skill that lowers attack, defense, and aim. Then I would use Yosuke to raise aim/evade. The final boss had trouble hitting my party lol

I just used another persona, sometimes, to do the defense up skill.

So, can you not pull the severe damaging skills off their Persona? I was trying to fuse
Surt to get Ragnarok
, but I could never get it off.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
crowphoenix said:
So, can you not pull the severe damaging skills off their Persona? I was trying to fuse
Surt to get Ragnarok
, but I could never get it off.
I had a
Loki with the crazy damaging ice attack and found that it wasn't strong enough to be worth it.

NoitoraJirugajr said:
I had a
Loki with the crazy damaging ice attack and found that it wasn't strong enough to be worth it.
Ei. I'm hoping to get it onto a more powerful one just to see, and besides, it'd be annoying to me if it didn't transfer.

Also,
Thor makes training on the floor of this place hilariously easy.

Blackjack

Ragnarok, Panta Rhei, Niflheim, Thunder Reign, Black Viper, Morning Star, Samsara, Die For Me!, Heaven's Blade, Pralaya, Eight-Ship Hop, Heat Rise, Debilitate, and Unshaken Will can't be transferred.

2DMention

Banned
Wow, Black Frost is one powerful-ass persona. I beat the Void Boss with relative ease using Spirit Surge (or whatever ) + Fire Amp + Heavy Fire Attack. Did close to 500 damage with one hit! I also transferred debuff attack spell with it. It didn't even last to the third sprite! Before that, it looked like it would be impossible to beat it! I'll probably keep it all the way 'till the end.

They've got you thinking the game's done after you beat that, but I know better.

Is that how these games are?? The persona you make makes all the difference in tough boss fights? I limped through and barely beat P3, and have never played any other SMT games besides this and P3.

2DMention said:
Wow, Black Frost is one powerful-ass persona. I beat the Void Boss with relative ease using Spirit Surge (or whatever ) + Fire Amp + Heavy Fire Attack. Did close to 500 damage with one hit! I also transferred debuff attack spell with it. It didn't even last to the third sprite! Before that, it looked like it would be impossible to beat it! I'll probably keep it all the way 'till the end.

They've got you thinking the game's done after you beat that, but I know better.

Is that how these games are?? The persona you make makes all the difference in tough boss fights? I limped through and barely beat P3, and have never played any other SMT games besides this and P3.
Yep. I usually fight the boss, and if I lose, I go train and craft a persona for the fight.

Watching the true ending now. It's finally over...

DiddyBop

ive finally gotten into the flow of the game,but its already sept:lol . what i do is just try to grind out the dungeon in 3-4 days max then use the rest for s.links. i focused heavily on my characteristics early on so now i have 3 of them maxed,including knowledge so i dont have to waste time studying anymore. just trying to focus on s.links now which are moving at a good pace,already got my 3 battle mates maxed out and gonna try to complete,the nurse,rise,the dojimas,and the fox.

Well, now I'm all sad that it's over. I always have to beat games at night before I go to bed because I end up sitting around in a funk for the rest of the night. :lol

I'm finding Dungeon 4 a lot harder to get through than the previous ones. I encountered several annoying game overs on the 5th/6th floors earlier this evening. This game sure can be frustrating at times. But worth it.

So I've been playing about 2.5 hours and... wow. It sure does have a lot of dialogue. Not that I mind it. The writing and VA has been pretty decent thus far but I don't dig how long it takes for you to be able to save.

I like the game though. Story seems pretty interesting and the characters are decent. I imagine that the game will eventually take off at one point, that I'm still in the "introduction" phase of the game. But so far, not bad. I guess I just wasn't ready for the insane amount of plot setup.

brandonh83 said:
So I've been playing about 2.5 hours and... wow. It sure does have a lot of dialogue. Not that I mind it. The writing and VA has been pretty decent thus far but I don't dig how long it takes for you to be able to save.

I like the game though. Story seems pretty interesting and the characters are decent. I imagine that the game will eventually take off at one point, that I'm still in the "introduction" phase of the game. But so far, not bad. I guess I just wasn't ready for the insane amount of plot setup.

it's good that you're still sticking with it, it is a bit slower at the start than persona 3, but it gets pretty darn good soon

jasonng

I'm in September and I've just now noticed that the school has a third floor. Just goes to show how much I abuse the square button.

Is there any way to check the MC's level with understanding,courage,etc? I can't figure out where to check it.

Volcynika

jasonng said:
I'm in September and I've just now noticed that the school has a third floor. Just goes to show how much I abuse the square button.

Is there any way to check the MC's level with understanding,courage,etc? I can't figure out where to check it.

Status -> Protag -> Hit Square.

dfyb

Banned
ok i started playing recently -- still in the intro stuff. but i know for P3 it was wise to have a routine during the day, but i heard it's different in P4 -- anything i should know, as to not waste precious time? i don't want to play by a guide -- i just want simple tips.

ivysaur12

Banned
So I'm in
Rise's dungeon (by the way, how many floors are there?)
and my little brother comes down to watch. I go into a battle, and he says "it sounds like their saying 'and the lesbians, can you let me in'." Now I can't unhear it. Ugh.

ivysaur12 said:
So I'm in
Rise's dungeon (by the way, how many floors are there?)
and my little brother comes down to watch. I go into a battle, and he says "it sounds like their saying 'and the lesbians, can you let me in'." Now I can't unhear it. Ugh.

cakeman19

Banned
dfyb said:
ok i started playing recently -- still in the intro stuff. but i know for P3 it was wise to have a routine during the day, but i heard it's different in P4 -- anything i should know, as to not waste precious time? i don't want to play by a guide -- i just want simple tips.

Eat at the ramen place on rainy days since there aren't mainy social links you can work on then. If you have the patience, try to take out dungeons in one day.

I thought the game was actually a lot more forgiving than P3 since I was very close to getting all the social links maxed out and I wasted a lot of time.

clashfan

How do I improve my social link with Yosuke? I can't seem to find him anywhere? For example Chie seems to hangout on the roof. Where does Yosuke hang out?

Volcynika

clashfan said:
How do I improve my social link with Yosuke? I can't seem to find him anywhere? For example Chie seems to hangout on the roof. Where does Yosuke hang out?

Right outside your classroom on the other end of the hallway.

wangman31888 said:
it's good that you're still sticking with it, it is a bit slower at the start than persona 3, but it gets pretty darn good soon

Good to know. I wasn't about to ditch it or anything, but getting confirmation that it picks up is always swell. :lol

Crystalkoen

clashfan said:

He's also known to hang out in the lobby of Junes on some days, usually weekends/holidays.

Just finished dungeon 5 last night, getting nicely into October. After fighting the 4th boss, I was expecting something devious and sinister, and ended up with a marginally quick and non-lethal fight. Ah, well.

Also opened up the Moon and Tower Links finally, and wow on Moon...
Ai is such a bitch, I wanted to slap her

Still gotta get more Courage and Dilligence, too. Couldn't tell
Ryotaro
he's a coward because I'm not maxed on the former yet, and I've been slacking really hard on Dilligence, which it appears I may need for Tower progression =/

Hoping to get another month or so out of the way tonight, or at least spend a rainy day in the TV to get some more experience and see if and where the latest addition fits into my party.

Vorador

Banned
Pop On Arrival said:
Fought the Boss that appears in Yukiko's castle when you first get her, and I got fucking wiped two times in a row.

Shit.

Leave it alone and come back later after you clear the next dungeon (or else use a resistant to physical damage Persona). The massive physical attack of that boss can kill in one shot your entire party at lower levels (i guess that's what happened to you)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Vorador said:
Leave it alone and come back later after you clear the next dungeon (or else use a resistant to physical damage Persona). The massive physical attack of that boss can kill in one shot your entire party at lower levels (i guess that's what happened to you)
You don't really need a resistant persona actually since it doesn't take many levels to make rampage meaningless. What I did was go back there after I ran out of SP in the 2nd dungeon. By then I had high enough levels to beat the optional boss even without SP.

Pop On Arrival said:
Fought the Boss that appears in Yukiko's castle when you first get her, and I got fucking wiped two times in a row.

Shit.
physical mirror... find one and use it on the protag. like mid-way through the battle and then the rest is luck... hopefully chie is strong enough to withstand the attack, or possibly yosuke as well... yukiko will more than likely die...

if you get lucky and use the physical mirror before he uses rampage then you should be good because he dosn't tend to use rampage more than once... unless you take forever to kill him...

but like i said... a lot of it is luck

if worse comes to worse, wait and come back later

Vorador

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You don't really need a resistant persona actually since it doesn't take many levels to make rampage meaningless. What I did was go back there after I ran out of SP in the 2nd dungeon. By then I had high enough levels to beat the optional boss even without SP.

I actually remember going back to beat him after beating the 2º dungeon and rampage doing like 20-30 hp at most :lol

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
You don't even need to grind very much. It is possible to fight him without him ever doing rampage. Just keep lowering his defense or hit percentage and spam ice attacks because they do the most damage. Since you have a save point right there you can just reset if he does rampage.

cakeman19

Banned
Crystalkoen said:
Still gotta get more Courage and Dilligence, too. Couldn't tell
Ryotaro
he's a coward because I'm not maxed on the former yet, and I've been slacking really hard on Dilligence, which it appears I may need for Tower progression =/

If you're in October, you want to work on courage a lot more than Dilligence since you need that maxed to start the
naoto
link, and you only have a month to do it

2DMention

Banned
"Everyday's a good day at your Junes."

Is Junes real? Is it like a Japanese Wal*Mart?

They say how Youske is this big rich kid because his parents work at Junes, but how can he be if his parents work in retail? :lol

Nanako is a consumer whore

Blackjack

2DMention said:

They say how Youske is this big rich kid because his parents work at Junes, but how can he be if his parents work in retail? :lol
His dad doesn't (just) work at Junes. He's the manager. District/Regional manager, I'd assume.

White Man

At first I was proud to have done Rise's dungeon in one night, but now I realized that wasn't reallya good thing since you can't go back in the dungeon to grind until
Teddie is done with his alone time
. There were like 3 nights that would have been great for grinding, too :( Oh well, at least I got to work on social links.

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
"Everyday's great at your Junes."

Nanako is a consumer whore

Fixed!

And yeah his dad manages it, means he gets paaaaaaid.

JEKKI

2DMention said:

there's this place in Los Angeles, a small japanese supermarket...

it looks EXACTLY like the supermarket section of Junes in the game.

like... EXACT EXACT.

it's on Sawtelle and (I think) Olympic around Westwood/UCLA area... right next to Beard Papa.

Guled

Anyway, I'm stuck on the Rise dungeon

Shadow Teddie kills me in 1 hit with his mabufa (after he uses mind charge), they should be a save point after the first save point.
Right now I'm using Ose so I could deal around 300 damage (Mind Charge + Atom Smasher) and my party is Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji. Should I switch to a persona thats strong to ice, if so which one

Blackjack

Guled said:
Anyway, I'm stuck on the Rise dungeon

Shadow Teddie kills me in 1 hit with his mabufa (after he uses mind charge), they should be a save point after the first save point.
Right now I'm using Ose so I could deal around 300 damage (Mind Charge + Atom Smasher) and my party is Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji. Should I switch to a persona thats strong to ice, if so which one
I used King Frost. But really, are you guarding after the Mind Charge?

Pop On Arrival said:

Shit.
I usually use the previous dungeon's major shadow as a measuring stick for whether I can beat the boss of the next dungeon. If I struggle too much on the major shadow (have to resort to items, end up just exploiting a weakness over and over or else I die), the story boss of the next dungeon would destroy me.

Top Bottom