• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

TheChaos

I don't think his homophobia offended me. He acted like a typical teenager would, being paraniod for no particular reason. I don't think the game itself is trying to make fun of Kanji.

ivysaur12

Banned
Blackjack said:
There were only two things I disliked about the Campout.

Yosuke's homophobia and the whole "IT'S FUNNY 'CAUSE SHE'S FAT! GETIT!?" thing.

Yukiko alone made up for both of those, though. "Maybe if I just cover her nose and mouth she'll stop..."

Yeah, I actually thought the same thing. I felt really bad for Kanji. I was shocked that the game (thus far, at least) has entirely using the word "gay" when referring to Kanji. No one says it, even during his mission. Very odd.

Please tell me Hanako is an S-Link, or at least that she reappears again.

Alts

I think that Yosuke's homophobia is an aspect of his character, and not a judgment the game is making. In that regard, not only am I not offended, but I am glad that these discoveries made in the TV don't just cease to exist once they step outside, even if that manifests itself in some unsavory actions.

Learning things in game, I now know where the word purikura comes form. I feel like an idiot.

Blackjack said:
Dude, the game isn't hard to begin with, and now you have ten continues. What more do you want from them? :lol
Im curious as to what you are comparing it to? Im just annoyed that the game is the same as normal with just 10 continues and thats all that makes it easier. Im fine with people playing it on harder settings so im not sure why playing it on a lower difficulty is such a sin around here. Im really more curious if im the only one who played p3 on easy and thought it was easy(and a fun game experience as well) but is finding P4 to be much harder.

Blackjack

kafka rock opera said:
Im curious as to what you are comparing it to? Im just annoyed that the game is the same as normal with just 10 continues and thats all that makes it easier. Im fine with people playing it on harder settings so im not sure why playing it on a lower difficulty is such a sin around here. Im really more curious if im the only one who played p3 on easy and thought it was easy(and a fun game experience as well) but is finding P4 to be much harder.
You can play it on whatever difficulty you like. I promise no one cares. But if you played Persona 3 on easy you should have known what to expect (the exact same game as Normal, only with 10 continues). And yes, it is harder than P3. THat simply means you'll need to prepare a bit more. And no, prepare is not code for grind.

cakeman19

Banned
Blackjack said:
There were only two things I disliked about the Campout.

Yosuke's homophobia and the whole "IT'S FUNNY 'CAUSE SHE'S FAT! GETIT!?" thing.

Yukiko alone made up for both of those, though. "Maybe if I just cover her nose and mouth she'll stop..."

Considering some stuff Yosuke says later in the game (not really a spoiler because it's so minor), I don't think he's homophobic. Like TheChaos said, he's just a paranoid teenager.

Ledsen

Blackjack said:
You can play it on whatever difficulty you like. I promise no one cares. But if you played Persona 3 on easy you should have known what to expect (the exact same game as Normal, only with 10 continues). And yes, it is harder than P3. THat simply means you'll need to prepare a bit more. And no, prepare is not code for grind.

Easy mode in P3 was NOT the same as normal. The enemies were much easier to kill, my girlfriend had no problem defeating them without much knowledge about the press turn system, Persona fusing or the spells. If that's not the case in P4, I know she'll be a sad panda :(

Crystalkoen

DiddyBop said:
does this game time skip when i beat
naoto's dungeon
?

Nope. Life as normal on that one.

Tamanon said:
Also you only ever need Diligence to be level 3 to do everything that requires the stat in the game. Anything else is just useful when fishing.

During the second night of Tower arcana, there was a choice that required more Dilligence than Level 3 to select, hence why I was commenting on it. Didn't get to play at all yesteday, so couldn't see if I was stuck without being able to progress there, aside from making 10k a night working, or if it would've been a nice chance of getting some extra cash with no impact on the Link.

Ivysaur12 said:
I felt really bad for Kanji. I was shocked that the game (thus far, at least) has entirely using the word "gay" when referring to Kanji. No one says it, even during his mission.

I'm thinking he's not gay, per se, but rather very effeminate. You can pretty much gather that from his reactions both at the summer festival, and when they find out that (dungeon 5 spoiler)
Naoto is a chick. Kanji goes from being all manly and badass-sounding when talking to/about Naoto to having a bit of a softer tone, and being less aggressive in talking to her

2DMention

Banned
It's no innocent sin playing on easy. If you play the game primarily for the story and the S. Links and are less interested in the fights and fusions, that should be your business.

No Shame.

I'm thinking he's not gay, per se, but rather very effeminate. You can pretty much gather that from his reactions both at the summer festival, and when they find out that (dungeon 5 spoiler)
Naoto is a chick. Kanji goes from being all manly and badass-sounding when talking to/about Naoto to having a bit of a softer tone, and being less aggressive in talking to her

I think Kanji's story has more to do with gender stereotyping than sexual preference.
In his S. Link, his mother mentioned that he didn't fit in with the boys or the girls because he was more interested in Home Ec. than playing catch. He also said he sews because his family owns a textile shop. I think this is a great topic to tackle in a video game and overlooked.
I can relate to his plight somewhat - I'm a passive person and was never interested in sports or any stereotypical "male activities." Too often, people confuse sexuality with gender roles and they're two different things.

Edit: Opps! Thought quoting would include spoiler tags. Fixed it.

Crystalkoen

MAY wish to redo your post to respoiler what I had spoilered there right after my (Dungeon 5 Spoiler) bit :p

But yeah, I'm at that point in Kanji's link, kinda let it go from there for other ones that I felt I had less time to pursue. Definitely one I'll finish before the end if I get the opportunity, though, and not just for the combat boosts.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
kafka rock opera said:
I agree they should have made easy actually be easier than normal. I got through persona 3 fine on normal and FES fine (default hard) but I wanted to do this one without grinding as much so I played it on easy. I mean sure the game isn't THAT hard but then why even bother making an easy option to begin with if you aren't going to make it that different.

Ourobolus

Banned
NoitoraJirugajr said:
I agree they should have made easy actually be easier than normal. I got through persona 3 fine on normal and FES fine (default hard) but I wanted to do this one without grinding as much so I played it on easy. I mean sure the game isn't THAT hard but then why even bother making an easy option to begin with if you aren't going to make it that different.

Grinding? :lol

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Ourobolus said:
Grinding? :lol
Yes grinding, a few levels can make a huge difference so that an attack that at first did a lot does a lot less so I don't have to figure out alternate strategies. The ability to grind is the reason I play rpgs in the first place. If you get to a hard boss you can just go level up for an hour or two and come back, something you can't do in most other genres.

How many dungeons are actually in the game? Because I'm just now unlocking dungeon 4 and my game clock is already reading 42 hours and that feels pretty crazy.

Volcynika

ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, I actually thought the same thing. I felt really bad for Kanji. I was shocked that the game (thus far, at least) has entirely using the word "gay" when referring to Kanji. No one says it, even during his mission. Very odd.

Please tell me Hanako is an S-Link, or at least that she reappears again.

Yes.

ivysaur12

Banned
2DMention said:
I think Kanji's story has more to do with gender stereotyping than sexual preference.
In his S. Link, his mother mentioned that he didn't fit in with the boys or the girls because he was more interested in Home Ec. than playing catch. He also said he sews because his family owns a textile shop. I think this is a great topic to tackle in a video game and overlooked.
I can relate to his plight somewhat - I'm a passive person and was never interested in sports or any stereotypical "male activities." Too often, people confuse sexuality with gender roles and they're two different things.

Edit: Opps! Thought quoting would include spoiler tags. Fixed it.

I understand, but it's still strange that while everyone was thinking it, and even postulated that he might be gay with other euphemisms, they never actually said it. I just thought it was really weird.

Volcynika said:

Woohoo!

2DMention

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I understand, but it's still strange that while everyone was thinking it, and even postulated that he might be gay with other euphemisms, they never actually said it. I just thought it was really weird.

Maybe Atlus is trying to avoid controversy by not using the word.

It reminds me of my friends who eat gourmet food at fancy resturants, and hate rednecks, hicks, and white trash. I've never actually heard them use any of those words.

It's like they fear an invisible hand will come down from the heavens and smite them if they speak those words.:lol

zoku88

NoitoraJirugajr said:
Yes grinding, a few levels can make a huge difference so that an attack that at first did a lot does a lot less so I don't have to figure out alternate strategies. The ability to grind is the reason I play rpgs in the first place. If you get to a hard boss you can just go level up for an hour or two and come back, something you can't do in most other genres.
You really shouldn't be grinding in megami tensei games, though..

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This is my first time playing a Persona game and I'm playing on Normal. Bosses do take a bit of forethought and perseverance, more so than other JRPGs.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona games have a save point before bosses for a reason, because if you're not at least set up partially right, the fight is going to be rough. It's definitely a good change from most RPGs where it's just about what level you are and if you have the newest equipment.

Volcynika

So (spoilers for both the very end (true ending) of P3 and P4)

Which boss was the longest fight for you? Izanagi or Nyx? I think Nyx barely edges out due to all the freakin arcana changes.

Tenks

I think in regards to Kanji that he is, at the very least, bi-curious. He is constantly referring to girls as 'cute' and has the blushing avatar but the way he acted around Naoto proves he is at least somewhat interested in males.

Ah, nerd rage. It's been so long since I felt you. My main character got insta-killed after 1 hour of grinding in the second dungeon. Well, that's it for today, I guess. I just can't bring myself to immediately retry after losing progress like that.

Tamanon

Banned
Tenks said:
I think in regards to Kanji that he is, at the very least, bi-curious. He is constantly referring to girls as 'cute' and has the blushing avatar but the way he acted around Naoto proves he is at least somewhat interested in males.

Hell, he got a nosebleed from Chie/Yukiko!

Guled

BlueTsunami said:
This is my first time playing a Persona game and I'm playing on Normal. Bosses do take a bit of forethought and perseverance, more so than other JRPGs.
This is the only RPG I ever need to use a SG

zoku88 said:
When we think of grinding we are meaning different things im sure of it. Because when i say grinding i dont mean the protagonists level but rather his persona skills. grinding the dungeon to get new personas to fuse, things like that not necessarily his level. P3 got hard for me but it was when i was about 50 hours in. Up untill then i hadnt died one time, and when you compare that to p4's difficulty you can help but see the difference. Dont get me wrong though I still love the games and p3 is easily my favorite JRPG partially because i thought it was easier and i didnt need to order my party around. of course my love of p3 will make me finish this one too and im no upset about it. Its just gonna take some work and research.

Anyways anyone want to throw out some boss help for Void Dungeon boss? I currently have MC, chie, kanji, and yukkiko all around 39ish. Pro tips would help thanks.

Tamanon

Banned
kafka rock opera said:
When we think of grinding we are meaning different things im sure of it. Because when i say grinding i dont mean the protagonists level but rather his persona skills. grinding the dungeon to get new personas to fuse, things like that not necessarily his level. P3 got hard for me but it was when i was about 50 hours in. Up untill then i hadnt died one time, and when you compare that to p4's difficulty you can help but see the difference. Dont get me wrong though I still love the games and p3 is easily my favorite JRPG partially because i thought it was easier and i didnt need to order my party around. of course my love of p3 will make me finish this one too and im no upset about it. Its just gonna take some work and research.

Anyways anyone want to throw out some boss help for Void Dungeon boss? I currently have MC, chie, kanji, and yukkiko all around 39ish. Pro tips would help thanks.

Should sticky this advice.:lol

For Void Quest, make some persona with Mediarama and also make a Black Frost.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
zoku88 said:
Well if i get stuck on a boss, its a lot easier to simply level up a few than worry about changing up strategies and fighting the boss 5 times and barely winning. Usually I fight enough enemies while going through the dungeon that I don't have to grind but I try to be the levels the strategy guide recommends for bosses by the time I get there.

cakeman19

Banned
Volcynika said:

Which boss was the longest fight for you? Izanagi or Nyx? I think Nyx barely edges out due to all the freakin arcana changes.

Nyx was A LOT longer for me because of all those Arcana changes. I barely broke a sweat against Izanami compared to Nyx (though I did die once).

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Should sticky this advice.:lol

For Void Quest, make some persona with Mediarama and also make a Black Frost.
It should be. :lol To expand a bit, Black Frost naturally drains fire and ice, repels Dark, and has no weaknesses. When Void Quest is available, your Fool Link will be 7, and will get it all the way up to 42. After that it's a very fast trek to 43 by fighting on the two highest levels of Void Quest -- or just Fuse on a day when the Forecast is "Bonus S.Link Experience" On level 43, it will have Fire Amp, Agidyne, and Mind Charge. The strategy for the boss then becomes "Rakunda on boss, Tarukaja on MC, Mind Charge, Agidyne for 900+ damage, Mediarama with healer, the other two sit there and twiddle their thumbs"

Yasser

question about the 5th dungeon:
where do you go on the 6th floor? there's a door that asks for ID and it won't accept the key i found on that floor?

Blackjack

Yasser said:
question about the 5th dungeon:
where do you go on the 6th floor? there's a door that asks for ID and it won't accept the key i found on that floor?
Down to the locked door on the fourth floor.

firex

Volcynika said:

I had a harder time on
Izanami
but there's no doubt that
Nyx
takes longer. By the time I get to that fight in P3 the main character is way past level 90 due to Monad block being easy as hell to level in. I don't even think it can be called a grind when it's like 1 hour for 30+ levels at level 60.

so I just got the true ending and even though it was a pain to get compared to P3's good ending, it felt worth it. I liked P3's good ending a lot, but P4's true ending was good, too. I just didn't like how obtuse it is to meet the requirements for the good ending, and then the true ending on top of that. I don't know how you'd get it without either constantly fucking around with an endgame save file, or reading a guide.

In terms of the fights near the end,
Izanami gave me what felt like the cheapest death ever. I had a Book of the Void equipped on the main character, but in one turn she did her all ailments spell, which hit him with exhaustion (the only ailment not blocked by that accessory, so I guess getting Null Exhaust on a persona is good for making that fight foolproof) and immediately followed up with the instant death spell for anyone hit by ailments. Second time I managed to avoid it thanks to a super sonic making the MC dodge her ailment spell.

question about a dungeon I'm stuck on
The old time game looking one, I get to the end and it says the door is held by a mysterious force and it won't let me in... what am I missing?

jasonng

frankthurk said:
question about a dungeon I'm stuck on
The old time game looking one, I get to the end and it says the door is held by a magical force and it won't let me in... what am I missing?

You need to fight the midboss on the 7th floor. I accidentally skipped over him too.

zoku88

cakeman19 said:
Nyx was A LOT longer for me because of all those Arcana changes. I barely broke a sweat against Izanami compared to Nyx (though I did die once).
Nyx was just painfully long. Izanami just felt like a normal boss fight to me

I finally have enough extra dough to get this game and I can't find a local store that has a copy of the visual data book. Grrrrrr. Looks like I'll be checking online then.

Tenks

wtf why did I get a "Need help with your addiction" banner in this thread. Clearly the internet is telling me I'm playing too much P4.

Crystalkoen

That "Girls playing PSP" one does have a bit of a spoiler, the very same I mentioned above to be REspoilered in a quote, but nevermind that. The "Teddie playing Pedobear in the Background" angle of the image has me rolling :lol

Too bad it's so small, I'm sure I'll not like looking at it so blurry as my wallpaper, but I can't pass it up.

DKnight said:

That's... incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Blackjack said:
That first one would be adorable if Teddie wasn't there. :lol Because I only see him half the time, so I forget he's there, so when I DO notice him it's creepy.
Hahaha. That had me cracking up so much. Pedobear indeed!

Crystalkoen

Wark said:
I cannot read Japanese, and I'm not exactly 100% certain what's going on in this picture... but if anything, that just makes it even more hilarious.

Some good Rise and Chie stuff in that batch, and I really like that one with Kanji at the end, too. Thanks a bunch for those, Wark.

Top Bottom