• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Guled

dam, now I got to wait until I beat the game to look at it. But it is cool that they didn't hold the artwork back because of spoilers

after you flip open the front cover. spoiler advisory.

"This volume contains artwork relating to every aspect of the game including illustrations of key plot points. If you have not finished the game, we recommend holding off on savoring this artbook until after you're done. Truths are meant to be hard-earned, not viewed safely from afar"

matmanx1

Wow, the reviews so far are flipping amazing. I'm a huge Persona series fan so I would have bought this even with minor upgrades and a new story but it's nice to see Atlus didnt go the easy route and have instead seemingly fixed almost every problem with P3. Another 100 hours of my life is about to be very enjoyably spent with a Persona game. Heck yeah, baby! :D

keanerie

stawnkald said:
All these awesome reviews...

If for some reason Persona 4 is left out of GOTY discussion on the major sites and in the magazines I'm going to
fuck some people up
write a strongly-worded letter to my congressman.

i think it'll be okay that a small minority of people don't think that a game is GOTY, it won't change the fact that we will *hugz*

birdchili

matmanx1 said:
would have bought this even with minor upgrades and a new story
it *is* minor upgrades and a new story. but they're the *right* upgrades, and p3 already did a *lot* of things right.

birdchili said:
it *is* minor upgrades and a new story. but they're the *right* upgrades, and p3 already did a *lot* of things right.
The only thing P3 did wrong was using a very depressing blue for most things :( I'm probably alone, but I just didn't like it (not that it stopped me from playing the game or anything).

I much prefer the vibrant yellow of P4, myself :D

I await my favorite color now--green, please :D

Tamanon

Banned
The whole P4 seems more vibrant, not just the Yellow of the marketing. I think it's because more of it happens during daytime.

Teknoman

DMPrince said:
after you flip open the front cover. spoiler advisory.

"This volume contains artwork relating to every aspect of the game including illustrations of key plot points. If you have not finished the game, we recommend holding off on savoring this artbook until after you're done. Truths are meant to be hard-earned, not viewed safely from afar"

Nice. :D

dragonlife29 said:
The only thing P3 did wrong was using a very depressing blue for most things :( I'm probably alone, but I just didn't like it (not that it stopped me from playing the game or anything).

I much prefer the vibrant yellow of P4, myself :D

I await my favorite color now--green, please :D

Even the music is more upbeat.

stawnkald

keanerie said:
i think it'll be okay that a small minority of people don't think that a game is GOTY, it won't change the fact that we will *hugz*

I know, but I'd like to see it get some real recognition and not just be our little secret. :lol

It has two things against it...Japanese RPG on the ancient PS2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hay guize, can the persona 4 segment from the 1up show be seen separately anywhere ?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hmmmm.... that is a little annoying. Keep it coming!
persona4kuma.jpg

Does that help, Segata-kun? Wow, that felt stupid to type.

2DMention

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Nich, I was actually going to mention that I never got that... briefcase you were supposed to have delivered.

The briefcase with the money.

Bring Briefcase. Meet at Midnight.

This games' gonna sell OODLES of copies because there's nothing else worth a poop coming out in Dec.

Yaweee

Gamecyte, 9/10
Well, it doesn’t quite compare to Persona 3 at all—it leaps over it and leaves it in its dust, becoming not only one of the best RPGs this decade, but one of the top ones the PS2 has seen in its storied existence. Part of the reason why is the direction Atlus took when making the game. Rather than craft an entirely new game, they instead took the core basics from Persona 3, tweaked them, added some stuff here and there, and came out with a more polished, and much better gaming experience. If you loved Persona 3 you’re still going to love Persona 4, but if you had issues with P3 (unbelievable characters, the giant single dungeon, plot progression, lots of walking, too difficult, etc.) go ahead and give P4 a shot, because you’ll probably end up loving it.

birdchili

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay guys, talk me out of this game.
- no multiplayer
- ancient ps2 tech and super-crap sd graphics
- turn-based battles? isn't the jrpg genre ever going to join the modern age?
- dating sim? puke. only nerds so nerdy they were kicked out of the nerd club need apply.
- anime and jpop drain your manliness and may prevent you from ever again knowing the touch of a real girl.

they should put a warning on the box, really.

stawnkald

If you loved Persona 3 you’re still going to love Persona 4, but if you had issues with P3 (unbelievable characters, the giant single dungeon, plot progression, lots of walking, too difficult, etc.)

This doesn't make sense, I thought P4 was a lot harder? Unless the Beginner mode is just that.

teiresias

birdchili said:
- turn-based battles? isn't the jrpg genre ever going to join the modern age?

If the modern age is all about horrendous Oblivion-style RPG combat then the modern age can keep it and I'll stay in the stone age thank you very much.

Seriously, why come in here and say that turn-based battles need to be done away with completely? There isn't room enough in the gaming world for games to use different combat system? Really? It's laughable.

I've never played a Persona or SMT game before, but I've asked for this game for Christmas - the last hurrah of the PS2 via PS3 emulation I suppose? - so here's hoping I get hooked.

teiresias said:
If the modern age is all about horrendous Oblivion-style RPG combat then the modern age can keep it and I'll stay in the stone age thank you very much.

Seriously, why come in here and say that turn-based battles need to be done away with completely? There isn't room enough in the gaming world for games to use different combat system? Really? It's laughable.
He was joking, playing along with the guy wanting to get talked out of the game.

teiresias

dragonlife29 said:
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

More than likely, but it is an argument people make in earnest - that one style shouldn't exist and everything should be done in another styel - and they apply it to everything:

"3rd person, why isn't it a FPS?"
"Turn-based, why isn't it real-time?"
"Cartoony, why isn't it gritty and real?"
"Realistic, why isn't it arcadey?"

eXistor

I've pre-ordered a long time ago, but I wonder when I'll find the time to actually play this. It looks great as always, but I just don't have the time to play this right now. Hell, even next year is almost fully booked with other games I haven't played yet, but I'll make sure to put this high on the "to play" list.

Tamanon

Banned
Huh.....Gamestop ship date changed to the 8th instead of the 9th......wonder if that means an outside shot at it arriving on Tuesday.

Volcynika

Tamanon said:
Huh.....Gamestop ship date changed to the 8th instead of the 9th......wonder if that means an outside shot at it arriving on Tuesday.

That's the day before two of my finals (if I got it on Tuesday)

D:

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The 1up show looks ace....except for the bear replacing Fuuka talking every time you do something. Ah well, I'm sure I can tune it out like I did her.

That's the day before two of my finals (if I got it on Tuesday)

D:

Same. :(

Tamanon said:
Sweet! If I'll already be out that way that day and other than that, that's one of my easy days.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:

Quite a few Atlus games have shipped early recently, haven't they? I recall EO2 getting to some places over the weekend, at the very least.

All I have next week (aside from falling even further behind on my research) is a take home exam due on... Tuesday.

Tamanon

Banned
Hey, you're still trying to beat FES before P4 comes out!

And this is so much better than what happened on the original P3 release:( Atlus is so much better of a localization company than Working Designs was.

Tamanon said:
Hey, you're still trying to beat FES before P4 comes out!

And this is so much better than what happened on the original P3 release:( Atlus is so much better of a localization company than Working Designs was.
The agonizing waits for Lunar and Alundra will forever be burned into my soul. It's amazing just how much faster Atlus works.

Costanza

Banned
Guled said:
I still have to get past the final month in FES, I'm sure I can finish it in time
That's what I'm doing today. 23 days left and around 20 levels in Tartarus.

Shouldn't take longer than a few hours...

Guled

Costanza said:
That's what I'm doing today. 23 days left and around 20 levels in Tartarus.

Shouldn't take longer than a few hours...
I'm sure I'm under leveled (party around lvl55, thats what I get for trying to keep everyone at the same level) so it might take me longer, but thanks to amazon.ca shipping it late for me I have the time

Top Bottom