• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
There's no girl there.. Only 2 girls gossiping, a girl at the other end of the hall near the fire alarm, and a guy near the science lab.. Maybe I'm past that part?

The order goes
girl, officer, chie at Samegawa, officer. Next day: Officer in south, Jingle meaning dungeon is open

Darkman M

2DMention said:
There's no girl there.. Only 2 girls gossiping, a girl at the other end of the hall near the fire alarm, and a guy near the science lab.. Maybe I'm past that part?

Did you go back to the tv and talk to
teddie?
Maybe you finished it without knowing, also sometimes certain characters only appear on certain days.

FredFish

Tamanon said:
That'd work, maybe want to look at a guide when you get near the ending fork so you don't accidentally get the bad ending(If you're not thinking meta, you'll get it). I mean there's so much to do and it's so free flowing, a guide is useful if you like them, but not needed at all.

Getting the "conclusive" ending can be a little tricky.
I chose wrong on ONE of the responses (iirc it was "Why is he scared" which I thought would lead to more conversation) and got the "Nanako lives but you don't find out the ultimate truth" ending the first time. I didn't know that it was one of the "bad" endings but luckily realized I hadn't maxed two auto-rank up s.links in Teddie and the Investigation Team so I reloaded and tried again taking the opposite tack and throwing the guy into the TV. Well that left Nanako dead and the s.links still not maxed so I knew that was even worse than my initial gut instinct and reloaded again until I had navigated the choice minefield successfully. I'll agree that choosing the correct culprit wasn't hard at all (it's pretty much spelled out for you as only one person fits all the criteria). BTW did anyone else have horrific flashbacks to Ruby Weapon when the end boss did her final "Curse" attack?
That being said I really recommend that anyone playing it the first time not use a walkthrough.

Guled

ninj4junpei said:
Holy shit!
King Moron is dead!? What the fuck. I mean, he had it coming, but still. O_O The plot just got a whole lot more interesting.
July 10th Spoilers

Teddie has a human form!?
July 10th Spoilers
2e54lt2.gif
talk about it, dam this game just got a lot more interesting. Anyway, should I replace
Chie for Teddie? How good is Teddie in combat?

Tenks

Ug I just got SMT'd bad

I was grinding a bit in Dungeon5 because I seem pretty underleveled based upon the trash mobs. I was grinding for like 1h15m and was ready to portal out. I got into my final battle with those hulk hogan looking guys, down to the last one with only a few HP left. I use a physical attack on him, uses high counter, kills my MC.

zoku88

Guled said:
talk about it, dam this game just got a lot more interesting. Anyway, should I replace
Chie for Teddie? How good is Teddie in combat?
I think they have totally different purposes in combat.

Chie is pretty much a physical attacker (her magic skills suck.) While Teddie is more of a healer and has stronger ice attacks.

DiddyBop

wtf i just got the shitty bad ending,i saved at 12/2 so i am going back to get the true ending immediately,but what steps do i take to get the true ending?

Guled

zoku88 said:
I think they have totally different purposes in combat.

Chie is pretty much a physical attacker (her magic skills suck.) While Teddie is more of a healer and has stronger ice attacks.
so what about him or Yukiko then?

MechaX

DiddyBop said:
wtf i just got the shitty bad ending,i saved at 12/2 so i am going back to get the true ending immediately,but what steps do i take to get the true ending?

For a hint, just stall for time in each one of your answers.

Explicitly,
just pick the answers like "We're missing something," "Hold on," etc. And you'll be on the route for the normal ending. The True Ending doesn't matter until 3/20, where all you have to do is talk to each one of the S-Links you maxed and then chose "No" when prompted to go home and just go from there.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
Those are pretty even swaps IMO. Yukiko gets better healing spells earlier, but Teddie gets buff spells. Plus they both have weaknesses.
I never maxed Yukiko, but Teddy, maxed, still has that annoying elec weakness.

Does Yukiko keep her weakness?

Btw, does anyone level up every party member evenly like I do?

Tamanon

Banned
zoku88 said:
I never maxed Yukiko, but Teddy, maxed, still has that annoying elec weakness.

Does Yukiko keep her weakness?

Btw, does anyone level up every party member evenly like I do?

Yukiko and Teddie both keep their weakness. They get another Strong resist to makae up for it, but maxed they're still weak to ice/lightning.

And I pretty much pick 3 people per playthrough and focus on them only.

Wilsongt

I just finished the Void Quest dungeon today. Fusing a Black Frost was really awesome, but unfortunately, my Magician S. Link wasn't high enough to level him up all the way until he learned Agidyne. So, I had to stick with Mind Charge + Agilao, but I was still doing 300+ damage with it.

MechaX

Tamanon said:
Yukiko and Teddie both keep their weakness. They get another Strong resist to makae up for it, but maxed they're still weak to ice/lightning.

And I pretty much pick 3 people per playthrough and focus on them only.

I knew Yukiko kept her Ice weakness, but Teddie still keeps his Electricity weakness? Yikes. It's a bit problem late game when considering that enemies stop throwing Ice Spells so much, but some major bosses are quite found of All-Hitting Electricity Spells.

Speaking of party members, how is Naoto? I was planning on subbing out Yosuke and Yukiko for somebody else for variety's sake during New Game + (I love Chie too much to give her up in any playthrough).

Tamanon

Banned
MechaX said:
I knew Yukiko kept her Ice weakness, but Teddie still keeps his Electricity weakness? Yikes. It's a bit problem late game when considering that enemies stop throwing Ice Spells so much, but some major bosses are quite found of All-Hitting Electricity Spells.

Speaking of party members, how is Naoto? I was planning on subbing out Yosuke and Yukiko for somebody else for variety's sake during New Game + (I love Chie too much to give her up in any playthrough).

Naoto = best party member for dungeons. Worst for bosses. All hama/mudo spells and Megido spells that cost a bajillion SP.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
Naoto = best party member for dungeons. Worst for bosses. All hama/mudo spells and Megido spells that cost a bajillion SP.
I remember using Naoto's death/light spells so much in the last dungeon.

Was it just me, or did the last dungeons have a higher than normal amount of foes weak to insta-kill spells?

Tamanon

Banned
zoku88 said:
I remember using Naoto's death/light spells so much in the last dungeon.

Was it just me, or did the last dungeons have a higher than normal amount of foes weak to insta-kill spells?

Each dungeon seems to have a decent amount. I still haven't made it to that. In my second cycle after the bad ending I just hit the ending fork.:lol Will go to the good/true ending tonight after Bowl games.

firex

I used just about everyone but Kanji in the game, and I'll use him next time instead of Yosuke since I really didn't like how Yosuke progresses (and didn't like the character either). In terms of overall effectiveness, Naoto isn't too bad, mainly due to the game making instant death spells work more often than they did in P3 (unless you had Samsara/Die for Me! with the respective boosts) but I felt like Naoto's persona had some weird skill progression. I wound up abandoning its physical attacks and sticking with the instant death spells, hama/mudo boost, mind charge, and megidolaon.

However, the party I beat the game with was Chie, Yukiko and Teddie. It's kind of redundant to have two healers there, but Yukiko can also be made into a very effective fire mage (which is what I did, stacking fire boost/amp on her and dropping single target heals). Teddie was one I kept just for buffs. I really never found a great 4th party member in P4, but somehow I bet if I'd used Kanji I'd have found him to be awesome. The main thing is between Yukiko and Teddie, I could fully heal my group with one of them (and also with the MC if really necessary, but for the last few fights he was basically on buff/debuff duty) and Teddie also gets matarukaja/marakukaja, so I was able to keep my party in good shape, even if Teddie didn't really contribute a lot of damage to the fights.

Chie is just great though. She was easily my best damage dealer, and also easy to keep alive due to her high HP and no weaknesses when her link is maxed.

I'm still disappointed there was nobody with debuffs. If they'd dropped some of the crappier physical skills on personas that didn't need them to do something like add rakunda/tarunda/sukunda to characters, I would've probably found characters like Yosuke and Naoto more useful. and it's not like Yosuke can't be made into a decent wind mage, but beyond dekaja and masukukaja, that's all he really brings.

Forkball

I'm still working through Persona 3, so I'll pick up this game 2011-2012 or so. A bit off topic, but how the hell is this thread so huge? 4,000 replies for a niche JRPG?

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
I used just about everyone but Kanji in the game, and I'll use him next time instead of Yosuke since I really didn't like how Yosuke progresses (and didn't like the character either). In terms of overall effectiveness, Naoto isn't too bad, mainly due to the game making instant death spells work more often than they did in P3 (unless you had Samsara/Die for Me! with the respective boosts) but I felt like Naoto's persona had some weird skill progression. I wound up abandoning its physical attacks and sticking with the instant death spells, hama/mudo boost, mind charge, and megidolaon.

However, the party I beat the game with was Chie, Yukiko and Teddie. It's kind of redundant to have two healers there, but Yukiko can also be made into a very effective fire mage (which is what I did, stacking fire boost/amp on her and dropping single target heals). Teddie was one I kept just for buffs. I really never found a great 4th party member in P4, but somehow I bet if I'd used Kanji I'd have found him to be awesome. The main thing is between Yukiko and Teddie, I could fully heal my group with one of them (and also with the MC if really necessary, but for the last few fights he was basically on buff/debuff duty) and Teddie also gets matarukaja/marakukaja, so I was able to keep my party in good shape, even if Teddie didn't really contribute a lot of damage to the fights.

Chie is just great though. She was easily my best damage dealer, and also easy to keep alive due to her high HP and no weaknesses when her link is maxed.

I'm still disappointed there was nobody with debuffs. If they'd dropped some of the crappier physical skills on personas that didn't need them to do something like add rakunda/tarunda/sukunda to characters, I would've probably found characters like Yosuke and Naoto more useful. and it's not like Yosuke can't be made into a decent wind mage, but beyond dekaja and masukukaja, that's all he really brings.

What? You didn't like Yosuke having Bash and......Sonic Punch for the first 70 levels or so?:lol I do wish more characters had debuffs though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Forkball said:
I'm still working through Persona 3, so I'll pick up this game 2011-2012 or so. A bit off topic, but how the hell is this thread so huge? 4,000 replies for a niche JRPG?
GAF has always had a huge Atlus fanbase, especially so for the Persona series. Plus it helps that Persona 4 is really awesome. In fact, this is actually the 2nd Persona official thread :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I use Naoto in my party and that character is very useful. I never had any problems even on bosses. Mind Charge+Megidolaon = Pwn. Repeat pwnage.

Great physical attacker too.

frogg609

I'm trying to make the Archangel Persona. I've got the guide, and it says to use Angel, Slime, and Ukobach. When I try to do a triangle fusion with these three, I don't get Archangel, I get different Personas. What am I doing wrong?

The guide also says that Slime and Ikobach should be maxed out in their levels. How do I check if they are maxed out?

Tamanon

Banned
frogg609 said:
I'm trying to make the Archangel Persona. I've got the guide, and it says to use Angel, Slime, and Ukobach. When I try to do a triangle fusion with these three, I don't get Archangel, I get different Personas. What am I doing wrong?

The guide also says that Slime and Ikobach should be maxed out in their levels. How do I check if they are maxed out?

If they know all their skills, they're "maxed out"

zoku88

Tamanon said:
What? You didn't like Yosuke having Bash and......Sonic Punch for the first 70 levels or so?:lol I do wish more characters had debuffs though.
Yea, I was using sonic punch up into the very last boss when he finally got a massive physical attack :lol

Darkman M

Tamanon said:

I agree Naoto owns the last three dungeons of the game, shes not great for bosses but mind charge plus medio spells contributes a little.:lol

Blackjack

I kinda consider Naoto the worst character in the game, battle wise (Well. Plot wise, too, but that's neither here or there. :lol ) Mamudoon and Mahamaon are the main draws, and if you're hitting instant kill weaknesses, Mahama and Mamudo are more than enough. If you're not hitting weaknesses, Die For Me! and Samasara are better choices. And Almighty spells are WAY too much buck for not nearly enough bang. I'd much rather have that slot occupied with someone that can contribute to normal battles and won't be useless for boss fights.

DiddyBop

abyone know how to fuse for the ultimate personas? ive maxed out everyone except for kanji and wanna make the ultimate personas before i face the final boss.

Volcynika

DiddyBop said:
abyone know how to fuse for the ultimate personas? ive maxed out everyone except for kanji and wanna make the ultimate personas before i face the final boss.

I'm guessing you're asking how to fuse max social link personas. Just check the higher level fusions (5 personas, 6, sometimes even 4 I think), it'll tell you what you need for each one. (Some are just more powerful, but if you remember the names or whatever, you'll see how to make them)

zoku88

Blackjack said:
I kinda consider Naoto the worst character in the game, battle wise (Well. Plot wise, too, but that's neither here or there. :lol ) Mamudoon and Mahamaon are the main draws, and if you're hitting instant kill weaknesses, Mahama and Mamudo are more than enough. If you're not hitting weaknesses, Die For Me! and Samasara are better choices. And Almighty spells are WAY too much buck for not nearly enough bang. I'd much rather have that slot occupied with someone that can contribute to normal battles and won't be useless for boss fights.
Yea, but it's not you're sp that you're using when you use her insta-death attacks. So, it's nice when you want to quickly climb a dungeon while not using that much of your own hp.

OT:

I don't read the tarot cards or anything, but wouldn't it be cool if you could buy a tarot card deck with the arcana designs in the P3/P4 games? I would keep it around just for the novelty factor.

dfyb

Banned
so i don't have one of those items that lets you teleport out of the dungeon. i'm at a mid-boss, but would rather not fight it yet. if i walk all the way down to exit and come back later, can i return to the highest floor i've been to? or would i have to climb all the way back up?

Volcynika

dfyb said:
so i don't have one of those items that lets you teleport out of the dungeon. i'm at a mid-boss, but would rather not fight it yet. if i walk all the way down to exit and come back later, can i return to the highest floor i've been to? or would i have to climb all the way back up?

Yes. Most (I'm not sure if all) dungeons allow you to return to mid-boss / boss floors.

dfyb

Banned
Volcynika said:
Yes. Most (I'm not sure if all) dungeons allow you to return to mid-boss / boss floors.
well i know i can if there's a save point/teleport thing like before bosses, but there's not one infront of the mid boss -- so i'd be exiting the dungeon at floor 1, and hope to enter at mid-boss floor when i return.

Nekobo

cakeman19 said:
Is it bad that last night at my friends house, I kept feeling like I was making social links with people I just met?

Haha, I think the same thing sometimes when I eat out with my friends. I ate ramen with a friend...and thought of that scene in P3 where you do the same with Kenji. :lol

Volcynika

dfyb said:
well i know i can if there's a save point/teleport thing like before bosses, but there's not one infront of the mid boss -- so i'd be exiting the dungeon at floor 1, and hope to enter at mid-boss floor when i return.

Well if you make it to the mid boss floor, you can start from there when you go back, you just don't have a direct warp from the floor to the entrance, like you do on main boss floors.

Blackjack

dfyb said:
You can always go to the highest floor you've reached. Except for when you've already beaten the boss and are going after the optional boss. You'll have to climb again (but after you enter the first time after the optional boss shows up, you can always return to the highest floor you reached, even if the optional boss isn't beaten.)

So, I finally beat the mid-boss in Dungeon 4.

Wound up over leveling since I had an annoying loss the first time I fought it. I got up to Floor 9, so hopefully I can clear out this Dungeon pretty soon.

I'm so glad to be past the floors with that damn floating box that would kill the entire party.

noi5e

Argh when I stopped playing I was in the middle of the last month so I cannot wait to get on a plane and finish this sucker...

PROS:
+ Is it just me or does this game have some of the best plot and character development since Mother 3? Whoever writes the scenario for Persona improved astronomically between 3 and 4. So many funny, almost profound moments:
fistfighting with your best friend; Nanako/Dojima drama; group date cafe; Teddie <3...

CONS:
- Maybe because I'm playing on Expert, but I feel like the tuning on some of these boss battles is a little off compared to P3. I'm consistently underlevelled for some of the later bosses. I got to the November boss at level 50 and it one one-shot my entire party with Maziodyne. It really left me with no choice but to grind, something I've never had to do in a SMT game. Part of it is that Makarakarn/Magic Mirror breaks some of the later fights so bad it's not funny (
Naoto/the gold and silver cross
).

This is the game of forever!

Blackjack

noi5e said:
Argh when I stopped playing I was in the middle of the last month so I cannot wait to get on a plane and finish this sucker...

PROS:
+ Is it just me or does this game have some of the best plot and character development since Mother 3? Whoever writes the scenario for Persona improved astronomically between 3 and 4. So many funny, almost profound moments:
fistfighting with your best friend; Nanako/Dojima drama; group date cafe; Teddie <3...

CONS:
- Maybe because I'm playing on Expert, but I feel like the tuning on some of these boss battles is a little off compared to P3. I'm consistently underlevelled for some of the later bosses. I got to the November boss at level 50 and it one one-shot my entire party with Maziodyne. It really left me with no choice but to grind, something I've never had to do in a SMT game. Part of it is that Makarakarn/Magic Mirror breaks some of the later fights so bad it's not funny (
).

This is the game of forever!
Yeah, 50 is...MASSIVELY underleveled for the November boss. I was 43 at the 4th dungeon my first time through, and the only time I grinded was right at the top of that dungeon, from 42 (where I was from just naturally fighting everything) to 43 (so Yukiko could get Mediarama)

johnsmith

remember me
noi5e said:
CONS:
).

I played it on normal, and P3 on normal was much much harder than P4 on normal. A lot of those midbosses were brutal. I found P4 to be pretty damn easy, and the only boss I ever died on was the first bonus boss in Yukiko's dungeon. I didn't do any extra grinding other than to redo each dungeon to reach the bonus boss and to do all the quests.

Top Bottom