• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

2DMention

Banned
I'm still working through Persona 3, so I'll pick up this game 2011-2012 or so. A bit off topic, but how the hell is this thread so huge? 4,000 replies for a niche JRPG?

There's lots of regulars that post a lot in this thread.

MechaX

noi5e said:
CONS:
- Maybe because I'm playing on Expert, but I feel like the tuning on some of these boss battles is a little off compared to P3. I'm consistently underlevelled for some of the later bosses. I got to the November boss at level 50 and it one one-shot my entire party with Maziodyne. It really left me with no choice but to grind, something I've never had to do in a SMT game. Part of it is that Makarakarn/Magic Mirror breaks some of the later fights so bad it's not funny (
Naoto/the gold and silver cross
).

I personally felt that P3 FES Hard Mode was much, much harder than P4 Expert Mode. Mostly because most of the bosses on the higher levels of Tartarus were tailor-made to screw over your teammates (or you'd be forced in positions where you'd pretty much have to leave one teammate KO'd for the entirety of the fight), or the bosses had higher level spells where they really should not have. For instance, remember that Sleeping Table boss in P3?

With the exception of how much HP some of the P4 bosses had, I felt the boss fights were pretty fair, almost like most boss fights in Nocturne where the fights rewarded smart play. That, and I think the ability to actually control your teammates makes a world of a difference.

noi5e

johnsmith said:
I played it on normal, and P3 on normal was much much harder than P4 on normal. A lot of those midbosses were brutal. I found P4 to be pretty damn easy, and the only boss I ever died on was the first bonus boss in Yukiko's dungeon. I didn't do any extra grinding other than to redo each dungeon to reach the bonus boss and to do all the quests.

Yeah, I think I'm noticing that too about P4. P3 on Normal was really really fun. It had so many great midbosses, and a lot more of them too... I remember fighting against those three stone giants with all my party members dead, poking each one to death with a spear, dodging mortal blows, feeling like a rock star.

Basically in P3 when you got to a boss fight, you were always at exactly the right level to fight it, not over or under-leveled-- so it came down to strategy. Maybe it's because I'm used to SMT games that I know how to exploit boss fights at lower levels so I end up having to make up the discrepancy later.

MechaX said:
With the exception of how much HP some of the P4 bosses had, I felt the boss fights were pretty fair, almost like most boss fights in Nocturne where the fights rewarded smart play. That, and I think the ability to actually control your teammates makes a world of a difference.

That's true. I think the boss fights in P4 are generally good ones and certainly a lot more fair than, say, The Answer's. However around the time that summer ended, I kept bumping into bosses and finding out that I was underleveled by a lot with not even a chance of squeaking by. In P3 you could usually make do with using equipment that had Resistances, fusing a new Persona carefully so that you could win the fight by a very small margin. Maybe it's just that the times when you had to grind in P3 it went by mercifully fast.

Guled

dfyb said:
do i still need to worry about girls getting jealous like in P3?
You could either friend them or get into a relationship. Plus you get the choice at rank 9 for most of the SL so even if they become your GF you don't have to wait long to move on to the next girl.

edit: dang, I've been beat

2DMention

Banned
Tamanon said:
Nope. And you don't even have to date girls if you don't want to! (*cough* Ayane) You can just be friends.

I think I'll date
Rise
, and possibly
Ai
. What level S. Link do you have to be to date? Can you buy them gifts like in P3?

Guled

2DMention said:
I think I'll date
Rise
, and possibly
Ai
. What level S. Link do you have to be to date? Can you buy them gifts like in P3?
rank 8/9 and rank 6/7. I don't think you can buy gifts

DiddyBop said:
like dude said,being able to control your teammates made p4 a lot easier,no doubt about it.

I kind of enjoy AI control. It can make it harder, for sure, but I enjoy the way it makes battles play out. It causes me some frustration, but it also lets me really immerse myself in the game, so I'm planning to play to the end with AI control still on for party members.

cakeman19

Banned
Forkball said:
I'm still working through Persona 3, so I'll pick up this game 2011-2012 or so. A bit off topic, but how the hell is this thread so huge? 4,000 replies for a niche JRPG?

What exactly is the cut off for a niche JRPG? This game already sold over 100k in the U.S. and could easily get to 300k or more for lifetime sales here. Or are you using the term "niche" as a genre thing?

matmanx1

cakeman19 said:
What exactly is the cut off for a niche JRPG? This game already sold over 100k in the U.S. and could easily get to 300k or more for lifetime sales here. Or are you using the term "niche" as a genre thing?

Seriously? Over 100k? Where was that posted, I havent see it. That's good news though for an Atlus PS2 RPG. And anyone know what P3 and P3 Fes sold here in the states as a comparison?

Volcynika

cakeman19 said:

Where did you get your numbers?

cakeman19

Banned
Volcynika said:
Where did you get your numbers?

A place I'm not allowed to say. I realize they aren't very credible so just forget I said anything.

Anyway, I think we know it'll sell pretty well considering that P3 did pretty well

cakeman19 said:
A place I'm not allowed to say. I realize they aren't very credible so just forget I said anything.

Anyway, I think we know it'll sell pretty well considering that P3 did pretty well
Well at the very least i bought my copy of the game at Best Buy and i think that speaks for this games non niche'ness.

Crystalkoen

Ugh, I feel like such a dick for doing this to Chie... but I couldn't just walk out on Yumi at the end =/

I love how she's all like "You're going to make me come out and say it, aren't you?" at the end, too. "Spent a long time", indeed.
Maybe I can get away with justifying it as "Comforting Time" if Chie ever finds out... yeah, that's it. >.>

Up to the end of October now, 2 days prior to the Culture Festival. I'll be thrilled when I beat the game, just to be finally done with it, but I don't think I'll be able to justify a second playthrough... really, ever. Any of the truly interesting S-Links I have max or near max, and I'm not really interested in a date with the Reaper, or fighting the second playthrough extra boss. Certainly never put as much time into Fusion in P3, or even P4, as others in this thread *cough* Scarlet *cough*.

Crystalkoen

zoku88 said:

You should see the harems the rest of us have >.>

Haha. Point taken. I went into this game thinking "I have the option of Friend or Girlfriend, I'm going to play it straight."... then freakin' Yumi has to go and do that to me. *sigh*
Already have Yukiko maxed as a friend, though. Bullet dodged there. Don't think I'll be able to avoid Rise, though. I swear, she already knows how this shit's gonna turn out, and is just waiting for me to catch up.

Just saved and finishing up for the evening, right before the culture festival. LOVE the exchange about the beauty pageant on the roof at lunchtime.

Kanji:
C'mon, make me a man already!

Absolutely priceless. Looking forward to Saturday/Sunday this time around, both in-game and in life, since that'll be the next chance I get to play.

Seriously, hats off to Atlas for making this game, and the US crew for a superb localization. I can't thank those guys enough.

Tamanon

Banned
At the ending branch now. P4's different sad musics always get me. :/

Although it is kinda weird how they use the determined, upbeat song during .... BIG DECEMBER EARLY SPOILERS
When Nanako flatlines
The same music they use any time you beat something in the story. Throws you for a loop.

DiddyBop

fuck friends,i got into a relationship wit chie,yukiko,rise, and yumi at the same time:lol i tried for
naoto
but i messed up with a question and ended up as friends.

cakeman19

Banned
Tamanon said:
At the ending branch now. P4's different sad musics always get me. :/

Although it is kinda weird how they use the determined, upbeat song during .... BIG DECEMBER EARLY SPOILERS
When Nanako flatlines
The same music they use any time you beat something in the story. Throws you for a loop.

That REALLY threw me off. Kind of takes away from the impact.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh man that's so awesome. Still December spoilers. Good ending route.

When you realize your phone was turned off and all of your S. Links have sent you messages offering support and help

zoku88 said:
Yea, I was using sonic punch up into the very last boss when he finally got a massive physical attack :lol

Yosuke strikes me as a Jack-of-all-Trades; he's got a little of everything, so each "type" of spell is long in the tooth at times. His Persona-summoning animation makes up for any problems.

Volcynika

cakeman19 said:

Ah. Well Nich commented earlier on it and said it has at least met their expectations, but he didn't have any hard numbers at the time. Don't worry though, I'm sure people will be asking a ton on NPD day soon.

cakeman19

Banned
Volcynika said:
Ah. Well Nich commented earlier on it and said it has at least met their expectations, but he didn't have any hard numbers at the time. Don't worry though, I'm sure people will be asking a ton on NPD day soon.

That's good. When I played Persona 3 last year, I kept thinking "how the hell is this going to find a market here?" I was shocked to see how well it did. I guess the reviews helped. If that's any indication, P4 should do a lot better. I still can't believe it has a 94 metacritic average

DiddyBop

cakeman19 said:
That's good. When I played Persona 3 last year, I kept thinking "how the hell is this going to find a market here?" I was shocked to see how well it did. I guess the reviews helped. If that's any indication, P4 should do a lot better. I still can't believe it has a 94 metacritic average
i put in damn near 60 hours into this game in about 2 weeks,if a game can get me that addicted,it deserves great scores. this is a game that is extremely hard to find faults with,i havent heard of one complaint outside of the difficulty,this game deserves all the praise it gets.

dfyb

Banned
DiddyBop said:
i put in damn near 60 hours into this game in about 2 weeks,if a game can get me that addicted,it deserves great scores. this is a game that is extremely hard to find faults with,i havent heard of one complaint outside of the difficulty,this game deserves all the praise it gets.
i don't think he's saying the score is undeserved, but it's very rare for a niche title to have such high scores. fantastic games can get 80's just for not being mainstream.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've taken a little break from P4, been playing Resident Evil 4 and Madden 09 the past few days.

So far, I like everything about this game infinitely more than P3. I could never imagine going back to playing P3 after playing this. I like the characters, plot, setting, and battle system a whole lot more. I also love everything about the Square button in this game, being able to transport everywhere around town just by hitting that button is awfully nice.

Still, my only minor gripe about Persona 3 and 4 is its lack of "epicness" that you get when playing more traditional RPGs. The feeling of traveling all over the world and visiting new places to save the world is something that I've always like about the RPG genre. In Persona 3 and 4 you stay in the same town and don't ever really do any exploring... outside of dungeon crawling. I think it would be neat for Persona 5 (?) if you would travel around to different towns and it was an open world type of thing where you could run around to the different parts of the town freely.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Red Scarlet said:
Oh wtf, I just got Yukiko in my party, and she wants to go into the tv, and at the top of her castle is some king dickhead or something. I guess my levels are a bit high (18/18/18/16) though, because Pop On Arrival is angry(?) that I beat him.

If the reward is similar for later ones, it doesn't seem worth it.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/kingasshole.avi

Your levels are too low, fight him later. In the following dungeon after Yukiko, climb to the top where the save point is... transport back to the Home area, and return to Yukiko's castle. Then beat the extra boss at the top. By then you should be able to. That's pretty much how you would proceed with the rest of the game. Beat the Bonus Boss of the previous dungeon right before you beat the boss of the dungeon you are currently on.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Red Scarlet said:
Oh wtf, I just got Yukiko in my party, and she wants to go into the tv, and at the top of her castle is some king dickhead or something. I guess my levels are a bit high (18/18/18/16) though, because Pop On Arrival is angry(?) that I beat him.

If the reward is similar for later ones, it doesn't seem worth it.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/kingasshole.avi

His Rampage attack is pretty cheap if your lower leveled. It'll probably be better to do as Adam Prime stated, I personally kept reloading the save and finally killed him (he hadn't used Rampage once in the battle I had won).

Also, to all the fishers in here, there's a sure fire way to catch Huge Fish.

1) Fish on Rainy Days
2) When you cast out your line, count up to three (one one thousand, two two thousand, three three thousand)
3) If you don't get a nibble (a rumble) by three, reel her back in (by pressing O). You want to time your counts so your ahead of hooking a "normal" fish but not so quick that you don't get a nibble from a Huge Fish (this line is thin).
4) If you do get a nibble, it should bob 3-4 times (signified by a rumble). From using this technique, I've pulled in a Huge Fish 100% of the time (got 3 Huge Fish in one go :D)

Red Scarlet said:
Well, he's already dead now, though.

Determination!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Red Scarlet said:
Well, he's already dead now, though. Oh wtf, everything's skippy on my computer now I guess.

Well that treasure you got for winning should be helpful in the next dungeon. Yeah, it's all about getting lucky and not having him cast Ramapge to pwnz0r your party. I usually just go after the bonus bosses after, they're not too tough then.

cakeman19

Banned
dfyb said:
i don't think he's saying the score is undeserved, but it's very rare for a niche title to have such high scores. fantastic games can get 80's just for not being mainstream.

Exactly. I give this game a 10. It's so damn addicting. P3 was a headache for me. After I finished it, I thought "finally over". I loved the game, but there were parts that were tedious. When I finshed this game, I was thinking "...I need more". I could never have predicted I'd be doing a new game + before I got this.

Red Scarlet

Adam Prime said:
Well that treasure you got for winning should be helpful in the next dungeon. Yeah, it's all about getting lucky and not having him cast Ramapge to pwnz0r your party. I usually just go after the bonus bosses after, they're not too tough then.

Unless I get something as I leave, all I got was 450xp, 1000 yen, and a courage bonus. As an aside, that skippy video is how L4D is acting on my computer right now too. I wonder what's wrong with my video card/computer.

zoku88

I... never actually went back to the dungeons after beating them.

I figured it would be in the way of my precious soul link time >.>

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Red Scarlet said:
Unless I get something as I leave, all I got was 450xp, 1000 yen, and a courage bonus. As an aside, that skippy video is how L4D is acting on my computer right now too. I wonder what's wrong with my video card/computer.

Whoops, you needed to walk up to the platform where you fought the boss and press X to get a weapon for Yukiko. I'm pretty sure you can go back there and get it even after you cleared the boss, it'll still be there. But now you're going to have to walk up 11 floors to go get it.

... and you can visit multiple dungeons in the same day, on the same trip to the TV. Just go back to the entrance of the TV where everyone is standing and talk to that party member to go to their dungeon. But like you mentioned, you want to get everything done in 1-2 days so that you can have more time for S.Link raising and stat raising.

totowhoa

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

Yeah, like Adam said, check the throne to find a good weapon for Yukiko on the ground. I just found it by chance (realized I could run around the boss room afterwards that time, so I just ran around mashing 'x' to see if I could check anything). Same thing is sitting in the back of Yosuke's dungeon if you go back.

Anyway, yeah, the bonus weapon for Yukiko is still not a terribly great item if I recall (especially since Yukiko is more of a healer than an attacker, so it's kind of moot). But you get one of the most useful items in the game from a bonus boss... so definitely beat them up.

zoku88 said:

Um... if you haven't beat the game yet, then go back to
heaven
and beat the boss to get
a ring that halves SP used.
All others are pretty skippable if I recall. Even that one is, but it's damn useful for the long endgame fights.

Vorador

Banned
zoku88 said:

I did them on rainy days. Most S.L. aren't available when raining, and there's special Shadows in the dungeons that give exclusive materials to sell.

Crystalkoen

Yukiko's weapon obtained after the extra boss may not have the greatest in attack power, but it's got that nice +50 SP on it. Kinda the same as Yosuke's +40 SP on his weapon.

I'm 5 dungeons in, pretty close to starting the 6th, I imagine, and I STILL use Yukiko's. Longevity goes a long way, and when you're still using Agilao, that's an extra 8 spells that she didn't have without it. Kinda starts lagging behind when you hit -dyne level magics, but if you just have her healing, it extends the Media/Mediarama love for a good while.

The 4th and 5th dungeon weapons are also really useful. One gives a low chance of inflicting ANY status ailment on attack, the other is +5 all stats. Both are very solid attack power/accuracy for when you get them.

As for me, I always spent an extra day after beating the dungeon, usually rainy days as mentioned above, to level some personas for fusion going into the next dungeon.

Kinda funny, if you go back into the 4th dungeon immediately after completing it, the extra boss isn't there yet, but you can still get the extra weapon. Kinda cheese, but really makes doing dungeon 5 a bit easier.

Just set myself on the path to the good ending...dear lord, that was a whole lotta cutscene. Not that I mind, because I love this game and it's characters so damn much, but still...lesser games would have bored me to death with that.

Vorador

Banned
I've been using Yukiko all along. She has a good amount of SP, some powerful fire magic and she learns the highest level healing spells.

Right now (middle of November) i use Yukiko, Chie and Naoto. Chie can deal some heavy damage with Power Charge, Naoto has Mind Charge and Megido* spells to deliver some insane group damage (plus no elemental weaknesses) and Yukiko mainly heals. My MC takes care of buffing/debuffing.

firex

I used Yukiko's bonus item from the day I got it until the end of the game. I never found anything better. It's +50 SP, which put her at like 550+ SP by the end of the game when I had her around level 80.

Ourobolus

Banned
This is one of the first RPGs I've played where I actually try to level everybody up equally. I don't think I even did that in P3.

Volcynika

Since 2008 is over, I'm still amused at Metacritic's top games of 2008:

PS2
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

That's how Atlus rolls.

noi5e

Expert Moders, do you guys actually buy things from Daidara? I've found that I'm constantly broke from re-buying from the Compendium and the occasional Fox-heal that I have to make do with the equipment I have.

Actually, I got (latter-half spoilers)
into the November dungeon and I found out that Teddie still had his default armor, "Pretty Suit," and had been wearing it for all that time. No wonder he kept on dying so early!

Top Bottom