• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Volcynika

noi5e said:
Expert Moders, do you guys actually buy things from Daidara? I've found that I'm constantly broke from re-buying from the Compendium and the occasional Fox-heal that I have to make do with the equipment I have.

Actually, I got (latter-half spoilers)
into the November dungeon and I found out that Teddie still had his default armor, "Pretty Suit," and had been wearing it for all that time. No wonder he kept on dying so early!

I bought from him a lot. And due to the trick I've mentioned a few times in this thread, you don't even need to pay the fox for healing. I didn't use the compendium too much either.

totowhoa

Banned
noi5e said:
Expert Moders, do you guys actually buy things from Daidara? I've found that I'm constantly broke from re-buying from the Compendium and the occasional Fox-heal that I have to make do with the equipment I have.

Actually, I got (latter-half spoilers)
into the November dungeon and I found out that Teddie still had his default armor, "Pretty Suit," and had been wearing it for all that time. No wonder he kept on dying so early!

I could usually afford one or two armor bits from him after every dungeon for whomever. I did not really keep up with weapons too often. Between dungeons, jobs, and acing tests, I usually had enough for everything I needed to do in the game, but I didn't use the compendium much except for obtaining the pent/hex fusions. Albeit, I certainly did not have enough to buy everything up like I do in other RPGs, of course.

Volcynika said:
I bought from him a lot. And due to the trick I've mentioned a few times in this thread, you don't even need to pay the fox for healing. I didn't use the compendium too much either.

what fox tricks?

2DMention

Banned
I keep my armor pretty up to date. I've been buying from the Sun. Shopping channel almost every week. Although it hasn't been the most powerful stuff I've noticed. I never use the compredium except for 4+ fusions, and I hardly ever use the fox. I've done hardly any of his quests, and I refuse to peek in the strategy guide. I want to go through the game on my own the first play through.

Edit: The ad for this thread is awesome, and makes no sense.

imgad

Volcynika

Callibretto said:
what fox tricks?

Not a fox trick, but it's time consuming.

Go into earlier dungeons and find an Arcana Chance of an upright Judgement or upright Death. Death will hurt your HP considerably, but bringing HP back up is a very small cost of SP, especially if you have someone like Yukiko.

bryehn

Red Scarlet said:
Oh wtf, I just got Yukiko in my party, and she wants to go into the tv, and at the top of her castle is some king dickhead or something. I guess my levels are a bit high (18/18/18/16) though, because Pop On Arrival is angry(?) that I beat him.

If the reward is similar for later ones, it doesn't seem worth it.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/kingasshole.avi

I'm around the same levels and have been one-shotted twice in a row once I got him down to 20-30% :/

You tend to get a combination of whatever skills that come from the Personas you're using. In a normal fusion, you can add two skills from the parent Persona. Triple fusion - three. Quadruple+ - four skills. You just have to keep leaving the menu (and deselecting every Persona but the starting one) to jumble the skills around until you get what you want.

Volcynika

ZephyrFate said:
You tend to get a combination of whatever skills that come from the Personas you're using. In a normal fusion, you can add two skills from the parent Persona. Triple fusion - three. Quadruple+ - four skills. You just have to keep leaving the menu (and deselecting every Persona but the starting one) to jumble the skills around until you get what you want.

I just back out of the fusion result and hit it again, and it changes the skills for me.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cakeman19 said:
That's good. When I played Persona 3 last year, I kept thinking "how the hell is this going to find a market here?" I was shocked to see how well it did. I guess the reviews helped. If that's any indication, P4 should do a lot better. I still can't believe it has a 94 metacritic average
Yep, Persona 4 is now the best reviewed RPG on the PS2. Awesomeness

Crystalkoen

ZephyrFate said:

Keep in mind that the amount of skills the parents know is what increases the amount transferred to the child. Less than 6 (8?) combined will only yield 2 carry-over skills, while having 14+ between the two of the parents will guarantee 4 skills inherited by the child. Having 3-6 parents increases that. More than 24 skills will result in a 5th skill inherited, and more than... going out on a limb, 32, will yield a 6th skill. It's very rare that you'll see that occasion, since that would require the child to only know 2 skills to start, and having fully progressed parents, but if you properly grow your personas, you'll usually come out with 3-4 inheritance at the bare minimum. Really useful when you want to transfer specific skills to children, as it gives you more room to get the stuff you want without as much trash. A big helper on that is getting a persona with any Growth skill, so they're getting experience while not being actively used. Let them simmer for awhile, then use them in fusion to get a better persona. Mix in Growth on enough stuff, and your grinding time gets seriously cut down.
I'm just happy Growth 1 and 2 came pretty early this time around, made my life easier overall, despite the... oh, hours spent in the Velvet Room making sure it carried over to children. Igor seriously needs to talk to his designer about some new music, though. Dude's been listening to the same music for 12 years.

grandjedi6 said:
Yep, Persona 4 is now the best reviewed RPG on the PS2. Awesomeness
What about overall? I'm interested in how it matches up to PS3/XBox/360/GCN.

Red Scarlet

bryehn said:
I'm around the same levels and have been one-shotted twice in a row once I got him down to 20-30% :/

He beat me a few times, then I got him to about 1/4HP, then within probably 2 or 3 hits, and Pop On Arrival laughed at me for trying, so I had to beat him then. The vid was about 2 or 3 tries after deciding I had to beat him then and there.

Tenks

Crystalkoen said:
What about overall? I'm interested in how it matches up to PS3/XBox/360/GCN.

I can't imagine there is any other RPG on any console outside of maybe PSX/SNES that would beat it in reviews.

Blackjack

Red Scarlet said:
He beat me a few times, then I got him to about 1/4HP, then within probably 2 or 3 hits, and Pop On Arrival laughed at me for trying, so I had to beat him then. The vid was about 2 or 3 tries after deciding I had to beat him then and there.
Yeah, it's all about getting lucky with Rampage on lower levels. If it hits anyone multiple times, they're probably going down (even if they're guarding and he was Tarunda'd, as demonstrated on Yukiko).

Tamanon

Banned
The good news is that you turn the tables once Chie gets Rampage. She can dish out some hefty damage early on with it.:lol

Holy shit i beat void quest boss. Gotta say it was pretty frustrating when i had him down to 10 percent health one attempt and he feared my entire party and they all couldnt move then bam insta death. Of course then i was shitting bricks on the next attempt when he pops up his Ice wall thing which meant my healer Yukiko was in for a world of pain. but i downed him on that attempt. Oh and black frost is a fucking pain train. i can only imagine how easy that boss is with agidyne i unfortunatly was a little TOO short on my slink level for it :( oh well flame vow plus the auto attack up armor and i was gold. I still think this game is a little more unforgiving but than p3 but its such a good formula that i cant put the game.

edit - Oh and i forgot i JUST found out before that boss that you could buy your registered persona's. i was wondering how you all had the necessary personas to make the summons damn.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Two things Atlus:

Anyways is not a word, and the plural of persona is personae.

Actually, personae and personas are both used as plurals. And anyways is a word, maybe not in the King's English, but enough of one to be used in a videogame. :p

noi5e

Is there Growth 3 this time around? Haven't seen it yet... Also, seems like Samsara doesn't get passed on from Daisoujou, I did the Fusion thing for like five minutes and it didn't work.

Aw man, I can't believe this game is going to end in a month. I'm gonna miss all my friends :(...

Tamanon

Banned
noi5e said:
Is there Growth 3 this time around? Haven't seen it yet... Also, seems like Samsara doesn't get passed on from Daisoujou, I did the Fusion thing for like five minutes and it didn't work.

Aw man, I can't believe this game is going to end in a month. I'm gonna miss all my friends :(...

Yeah there's still Growth 3, it's much later on that you get it, I think I got it from the level 50 Sun Persona, might've been the 60 one.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Who is the devil S Link, I've never run into them ever and I'm in November. I'm thinking I'm missing a few S-Links actually.

ramus

Neo Member
noi5e said:

Samsara is a unique skill and can't be passed along in P4.

Tamanon

Banned
I loved the Growth skills early on, but once I got more and more S Links maxed the one skill I LOVE transferring now is Spell Master now that I finally got it.

Alts

9/8 class trip
This whole trip just makes me realize that the music from Persona 3 is a lot more memorable than P4's.

Also, that hotel totally looks like a love hotel

edit: confirmed maybe 5 seconds later, yes it is a love hotel...

Tamanon

Banned
Alts said:
9/8 class trip
This whole trip just makes me realize that the music from Persona 3 is a lot more memorable than P4's.

Also, that hotel totally looks like a love hotel

edit: confirmed maybe 5 seconds later, yes it is a love hotel...

I was about to say "It is":lol

Guled

For the void quest boss, should I bother lvl up Yukiko until she learns Mediarama, or will I be fine without it?

Tamanon

Banned
Guled said:
For the void quest boss, should I bother lvl up Yukiko until she learns Mediarama, or will I be fine without it?

As long as someone has Mediarama, including yourself you should be alright.

Black Frost is great too :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Teddie definitely has Mediarama. I had to sub him in, instead of Yosuke, made the battle way easier. Though, Teddy kept getting knocked down due to the Electrical attacks, my party was nearly wiped out when I had brought the bosses HP down to a sliver, I was about to freak out. Fortunately the main character had like 40HP left and I was able to get one more spell off to kill it.

Most annoying boss battle ever, the double attacks is what made it so frustrating.

BlueTsunami said:
Teddie definitely has Mediarama. I had to sub him in, instead of Yosuke, made the battle way easier. Though, Teddy kept getting knocked down due to the Electrical attacks, my party was nearly wiped out when I had brought the bosses HP down to a sliver, I was about to freak out. Fortunately the main character had like 40HP left and I was able to get one more spell off to kill it.

Most annoying boss battle ever, the double attacks is what made it so frustrating.
I almost lost that one at the end as well. Had to use my one bead chain to get my party back to fighting strength before beating him on the next round. That really was a very annoying boss.

Kusagari

Guled said:

If you're not using Teddie and you don't have Mediarama on a persona it really helps. I leveled up Yukiko until she got it, made Black Frost, and then absolutely destroyed him after he destroyed me the first time I fought him.

Varna

Considering my love for Megaten games, this took a while... but I finally have Persona 4!

I find the "Now, please sit back and enjoy the game" message a little worrying... This intro is going to be a bigger pain then P3 isn't it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I didn't think that the intro was that long. It was interesting the whole time and does a great job of introducing everything in the game. I think it goes by fast because it's never really boring.

... and now SPOILERS FOR JULY 1O
Holy crap mind exploded when Teddie takes his head off!!!

Varna

Adam Prime said:
I didn't think that the intro was that long. It was interesting the whole time and does a great job of introducing everything in the game. I think it goes by fast because it's never really boring.

Neither was P3's... I just hate these tutorial sections no matter how well they are done. I hate not being able to jump into the game.

First impression. WHOA, this game looks a lot better then P3.

EDIT: Getting some nasty ghosting though at 1080i on my PS3 though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah, I hear you on that. I like to jump into a RPG and start a few battles right off the bat to see how it works. Something like FFVII, where instantly you are thrown into the shit.

... I don't know a lot about TVs and visuals, but shouldn't you try playing the game at a lower resolution to remove ghosting, instead of upscaling it to 1080i? I was playing the game on my parent's 50' Bravia through the PS2 with component cables, I thought it looked pretty good with little to no ghosting at all. But then again, I'm a n00b at the visual stuff, so I could be completely off base here.

Varna

I'm digging so the school atmosphere a lot more in this game. Just seems a bit more mature then P3's... Mr. Morroka is awesome.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wilsongt said:
I don't remember having much of an SP problem in P3, but I am consistently running out of SP with the MC.

How early are you in the game? The first two dungeons are tough to manage because you no longer recover SP when you go back to the front of the dungeon. It took me two game days for beat the first two dungeons because I was having serious SP management issues. After that though I was able to complete dungeons in a single run.

As you play through you'll encounter a character who will restore your SP for a lot of yen, but doing social links with that character will drive down the cost. Also later you'll be able to Fuse for a Persona that has the Invigorate 2 spell, which heals 5 SP every turn. Very useful on weaker enemies that you come across because you can just guard and heal SP.

... For the time being though, be sure to go to the soda machine in the first shopping district and purchase 5 TAP sodas every week. It's by far the most cost efficient way to heal SP.

Narcosis

Wilsongt said:
I don't remember having much of an SP problem in P3, but I am consistently running out of SP with the MC.

I constantly found myself having to use Goho-M items to leave the dungeon I was in, go to an earlier one, and fight battles until I got Arcana chances that restored my SP. While this tactic was useful for acquiring more items to sell to the Daidara owner, it also got a little tedious at times too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Varna said:
I'm digging so the school atmosphere a lot more in this game. Just seems a bit more mature then P3's... Mr. Morroka is awesome.

He is a f**king ass hole. But he is a great character... and sadly, realistic.

Okay once more JULY 10 SPOILERS
Holy crap I started laughing out loud so much when Yosuke asks "Kanji, do you think Teddie is cute? Is he your type?" :lol :lol :lol BRUTAL

RedBoot

Wilsongt said:

That's because you could always go to the base of Tartarus to restore SP in P3. This game is all about survival and efficiency.

Anyway, 90 hours later and I've finally finished this game. P3 took me 100, but I think this one was technically longer, I just knew what I was doing this time around. Anyway, still sorting my thoughts about everything, but at least I can finally allow myself to look at this thread.

I think I like P4 better than P3 overall, though P3 does one or two things better.

Quick spoiler note: (end of Yumi Sun S-Link)
Good god is that a depressing finish if you're already in a serious relationship with another character.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ourobolus said:
In P3 you could always return to the bottom floor for a free HP/SP heal.

Doesn't work like that in P4. Conversely in P3 your characters would grow tired and you'll be forced to leave... that's not true in P4.

Wilsongt

Adam Prime said:
How early are you in the game? The first two dungeons are tough to manage because you no longer recover SP when you go back to the front of the dungeon. It took me two game days for beat the first two dungeons because I was having serious SP management issues. After that though I was able to complete dungeons in a single run.

As you play through you'll encounter a character who will restore your SP for a lot of yen, but doing social links with that character will drive down the cost. Also later you'll be able to Fuse for a Persona that has the Invigorate 2 spell, which heals 5 SP every turn. Very useful on weaker enemies that you come across because you can just guard and heal SP.

... For the time being though, be sure to go to the soda machine in the first shopping district and purchase 5 TAP sodas every week. It's by far the most cost efficient way to heal SP.

I'm not early in the game at all. I just started the Secret Lab dungeon. I'm assuming my problem is that as soon as the battle starts, I go after the enemies weakness and knock them down instead of waiting for a character with a particular element to pop up. Makes battles go quicker.

Narcosis

RedBoot said:
Quick spoiler note: (end of Yumi Sun S-Link)
Good god is that a depressing finish if you're already in a serious relationship with another character.

Bwahahaha, I
went ahead and made my dude hug her, because I was trying to be a nice guy and all, but I was already intimate with Rise so I got to see the two of them fight over me at a movie theater later when I was called for an outing to hang with Yosuke and Daisuke

RedBoot

Narcosis said:
Bwahahaha, I
went ahead and made my dude hug her, because I was trying to be a nice guy and all, but I was already intimate with Rise so I got to see the two of them fight over me at a movie theater later when I was called for an outing to hang with Yosuke and Daisuke

From what I can tell,
she nearly disappears from the game if you reject her. She never showed up in the halls after that. She texted me during the early December event, and obviously she shows up in the post-game max S.Link events, but otherwise she's gone. So depressing...

Starting up a New Game + is so awesome in this game, there's so many little touches and hints that you can notice the second time around, once you know the whole plot. I especially like the (endgame spoiler)
controller rumble during your handshake with the gas station "attendant."

Top Bottom