• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Guled

RedBoot said:
That's because you could always go to the base of Tartarus to restore SP in P3. This game is all about survival and efficiency.

Anyway, 90 hours later and I've finally finished this game. P3 took me 100, but I think this one was technically longer, I just knew what I was doing this time around. Anyway, still sorting my thoughts about everything, but at least I can finally allow myself to look at this thread.

I think I like P4 better than P3 overall, though P3 does one or two things better.

Quick spoiler note: (end of Yumi Sun S-Link)
Good god is that a depressing finish if you're already in a serious relationship with another character.
for us who picked band could you tell me what happens

RedBoot

Guled said:
for us who picked band could you tell me what happens

For that specific event,
she basically tells you that she loves you and turns around, so that if you don't feel the same way, she doesn't have to watch you leave. You get the choice to hug her or leave. I was already in a relationship with Yukiko, so I had to turn around and leave. The screen goes black and you hear her say goodbye. She actually jokes about it in the post-game Max S.Link scene, but damned if it wasn't depressing at the time.

zoku88

RedBoot said:
For that specific event,
she basically tells you that she loves you and turns around, so that if you don't feel the same way, she doesn't have to watch you leave. You get the choice to hug her or leave. I was already in a relationship with Yukiko, so I had to turn around and leave. The screen goes black and you hear her say goodbye. She actually jokes about it in the post-game Max S.Link scene, but damned if it wasn't depressing at the time.
Couldn't you just... hug her even though you're already in a relationship? That's basically what I did for everyone else

Ourobolus

Banned
RedBoot said:
For that specific event,

Uh...you can have more than one "serious relationship." I've got something like 4 now.

Guled

RedBoot said:
For that specific event,
wow, glad I picked that band girl. I don't like her SL so I'll have no problem rejecting her. Anyway, dose the sport you pick even matter, the SL is with both the sport guys so wouldn't the SL be the same no matter what sport you pick?

Narcosis

Guled said:
wow, glad I picked that band girl. I don't like her SL so I'll have no problem rejecting her. Anyway, dose the sport you pick even matter, the SL is with both the sport guys so wouldn't the SL be the same no matter what sport you pick?

the only difference is the storyline for each character: Do you wanna hear about Kou's family issues or Daisuke's girl issues?

Tamanon

Banned
Guled said:

Two completely different storylines for the sports ones. Just both of them are in each one.

Soccer:
Daisuke and his hatred of women
Basketball:
Kou and his search for his parents

And they actually reference the other story a bit in the other ones.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
Two completely different storylines for the sports ones. Just both of them are in each one.

Soccer:
Daisuke and his hatred of women
Basketball:
Kou and his search for his parents

And they actually reference the other story a bit in the other ones.
Wow, I wish I did the basketball one. Soccer one was SOOO lame.

Narcosis

RedBoot said:
Starting up a New Game + is so awesome in this game, there's so many little touches and hints that you can notice the second time around, once you know the whole plot. I especially like the (endgame spoiler)
controller rumble during your handshake with the gas station "attendant."

It is crazy what you notice plot wise on the second playthrough.
(end spoilerage)
I never noticed the whole gas station attendant only appearing on rainy days and always talking about the Midnight Channel the first time. Shit, the guy running around the shopping district complaining about the lack of any open jobs at the gas station after the attendant in the opening uses an invitation for a part time job to shake your hand was an eye opener on new game+

Tamanon

Banned
Guled said:
same, I wished I knew before hand. O well I guess thats what the second playthrough is for

Yup, I switched it up on Strength and Sun on the second playthrough, just like I switched up Ai's relationship(friendship is so much better compared to serious with her). Good change of pace.

RedBoot

Ourobolus said:
Uh...you can have more than one "serious relationship." I've got something like 4 now.

I'm not that kind of guy. One woman man here, all about trust and purity and stuff.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised you can have more than one relationship, I thought the whole friends/serious relationship thing was the answer to P3's "Avoid all other girls once you get to level 6 with one of them" thing. Of course, you could get around that too...

cakeman19

Banned
Narcosis said:
It is crazy what you notice plot wise on the second playthrough.
(end spoilerage)
I never noticed the whole gas station attendant only appearing on rainy days and always talking about the Midnight Channel the first time. Shit, the guy running around the shopping district complaining about the lack of any open jobs at the gas station after the attendant in the opening uses an invitation for a part time job to shake your hand was an eye opener on new game+

I said it before but
that gas station attendant only appearing on rainy days is what made me really suspicious. The only reason I wasn't convinced until it actually became apparent was because she didn't have a picture/icon until after you figured it out. Great job on that one Atlus

RedBoot

cakeman19 said:
I said it before but
that gas station attendant only appearing on rainy days is what made me really suspicious. The only reason I wasn't convinced until it actually became apparent was because she didn't have a picture/icon until after you figured it out. Great job on that one Atlus

Yeah, that was a good idea, since (endgame stuff)
I kind of only suspected people who had portraits since RPG Law states that characters without portraits are unimportant. Still, I did find the attendant suspicious, if only because of the rainy day thing. Actually, Adachi was my first suspect for the killer when I was playing the game, but I stopped suspecting him after the Rise event since he was with you when she gets kidnapped (apparently, I fell right into Atlus's trap on that one). I suspected Namatame after that, but hey, he ended up being (mostly) innocent. Still, as two important characters with portraits and no S.Links, they are somewhat inherently suspicious (I actually expected Namatame to be the Death or Hanged Man S.Link until I found who those two were).

More stuff I'm noticing on second playthrough: (more endgame spoilers)
When the game starts and the MC's on the train, you see quick flashes of Yamano being attacked, interspersed with shots of Igor and the like. You can see the decor of the Amagi Inn behind her, as well as the sleeves and shoes of her attacker, which do match Adachi's, not that you would notice the first time around (or even realize what's going on). The time matches up, since the MC's arrival should be about the same time Yamano gets TV'd. I guess Adachi vomiting the next day at the crime scene is him realizing what happens when people go into the TV?

cakeman19 said:
I said it before but
Wait. I missed this. What are you guys talking about?

Tamanon

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Wait. I missed this. What are you guys talking about?

If you've gotten the true ending....

Izanami is the gas station attendant. The one you sign your contract with at the beginning with the handshake. That's why you have the headache and hear Izanagi calling out immediately afterwards

Tamanon said:
If you've gotten the true ending....

Izanami is the gas station attendant. The one you sign your contract with at the beginning with the handshake. That's why you have the headache and hear Izanagi calling out immediately afterwards
Did I not get the true ending then? Did I mess up somewhere?
I don't remember meeting Izanami, just that guy controlling the weird eyeball, after chasing Adachi.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yatagarasu + innate Cool Breeze skill (Restores 8% HP/SP after battle, he must be equipped) = Main Character soloing heaven.

Tamanon

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I don't remember meeting Izanami, just that guy controlling the weird eyeball, after chasing Adachi.

Sounds like it. Did you get another dungeon in March? :p

RedBoot

crowphoenix said:

You've got a surprise coming...
on 3/20, after you see all your S.link endings, say no when it's time to go home. Go to Junes's elevator, say no again when the game tells you to go home, and go from there.

Tamanon said:
Sounds like it. Did you get another dungeon in March? :p
Nope. :lol Damn. What did I mess up?

RedBoot said:
You've got a surprise coming...
on 3/20, after you see all your S.link endings, say no when it's time to go home. Go to Junes's elevator, say no again when the game tells you to go home, and go from there.
Awesome. I think I still have the save before that. I should be able to do it. I did however loan it out to a pal, so I'm going to have to rent it. :lol

Guled said:
I would assume the focus of the link would change from one to the other.

RedBoot

Something else I remembered after beating the game: I didn't realize that you could go to the Dojima Residence on the map screen until, like October. I thought picking it would automatically send you home for the day, but nope, there's an actual area there. Nothing big other than a quest requirement (why I found it) and free bait every day, but it's there.

Tamanon

Banned
RedBoot said:
Something else I remembered after beating the game: I didn't realize that you could go to the Dojima Residence on the map screen until, like October. I thought picking it would automatically send you home for the day, but nope, there's an actual area there. Nothing big other than a quest requirement (why I found it) and free bait every day, but it's there.

And a way to increase understanding and expression!

"Deny it pets"

Crystalkoen

Narcosis said:
Bwahahaha, I
went ahead and made my dude hug her, because I was trying to be a nice guy and all, but I was already intimate with Rise so I got to see the two of them fight over me at a movie theater later when I was called for an outing to hang with Yosuke and Daisuke

Ugh. Poor Yumi's going to get the shit knocked outta her by Chie for me...

and yet, this is a strangely appealing proposition, one which I eagerly await.

Red Scarlet

Can a triple fusion Persona learn 5 abilities from the base 3? The base 3 have 7, 6, and 6 abilities, and I want a particular 4, but if I can get some leeway from learning a fifth ability, it'd make the Persona I'm trying to create have a little more room (and possibly one more ability I'd like her to have) for getting what I want on her.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Can a triple fusion Persona learn 5 abilities from the base 3? The base 3 have 7, 6, and 6 abilities, and I want a particular 4, but if I can get some leeway from learning a fifth ability, it'd make the Persona I'm trying to create have a little more room (and possibly one more ability I'd like her to have) for getting what I want on her.

Need 24 base abilities to transfer 5.

zoku88

For some reason, I never got any catfights going on :(

Well, I think Rise started arguing with Ai one time, but neither of them were my gf at the time.

zoku88 said:
For some reason, I never got any catfights going on :(

Well, I think Rise started arguing with Ai one time, but neither of them were my gf at the time.
I always wanted to see it, but I was always too faithful to Rise.

Red Scarlet

Meh, I keep getting 3 plus Dia, I want normal Bufu. She's no Lilim or Alice, but I guess she'll do. Should be good for dungeon 2+.
p4006.png

Sushen

Ourobolus said:
In P3 you could always return to the bottom floor for a free HP/SP heal.
That damn fox restores your SP for arms and legs. I'm now at level 7 with S-Link, and it's still a lot of money!

Crystalkoen

Sushen said:
That damn fox restores your SP for arms and legs. I'm now at level 7 with S-Link, and it's still a lot of money!

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a cumulative discount. You complete a rank of the S. Link, then make a trip into the TV, the Fox will be happy. After enough time passes, he's not happy anymore, and if you've accepted an Ema Request, and it's been a bit since you did, he'll get quite pissy with you.

johnsmith

remember me
Crystalkoen said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a cumulative discount. You complete a rank of the S. Link, then make a trip into the TV, the Fox will be happy. After enough time passes, he's not happy anymore, and if you've accepted an Ema Request, and it's been a bit since you did, he'll get quite pissy with you.

As you level it up, the cost per point of SP goes down.

Commu Rank|Yen Needed|
----------------------
LV1 | 60
LV2 | 55
LV3 | 50
LV4 | 45
LV5 | 40
LV6 | 35
LV7 | 30
LV8 | 25
LV9 | 20
LV10 | 15

Sushen

Crystalkoen said:
Don't tell me that I have to pet the damn animal. It's eating up my precious time and money already.

Tamanon

Banned
It's not a pattern, he just randomly gets happy or pissy. He's gotten pissy at me the day after I maxed his S. Link.

Always pet his head whenever you enter the TV though. If he's either neutral or happy he'll give you an item(Soul Drop/Chest Key/Snuff Soul/Chewing Soul)

Blackjack

Red Scarlet said:
Meh, I keep getting 3 plus Dia, I want normal Bufu. She's no Lilim or Alice, but I guess she'll do. Should be good for dungeon 2+.
p4006.png
Hit All elements are better as long as 2+ enemies are going to take damage from the spell anyway. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Blackjack said:
Hit All elements are better as long as 2+ enemies are going to take damage from the spell anyway. :lol

Eh, I see why she's doing it on that Persona. Invigorate + never changing Personas will make grinding a bit better.

Red Scarlet

Blackjack said:

Well, I'm going by Persona 3, where the hit-all spells were kind of counter-intuitive to getting easy knockdowns against groups of different badguys with different weaknesses. With my Lilim and Alice, since they had the lv1 single-target spells, it cost less MP and I could knock everything down pretty easily. I don't know if a spell on a knocked-down enemy un-knocks them down in this one like they did in 3.

Is this game like Persona 3 where I have to have Knowledge level 3 for midterms to get something good? I can just get "Expert" the day before midterms, but I miss out on 2 S-Link level ups (study at the library on Saturday, ignore Nanako Saturday night and study instead, ignore Chie on Sunday and just study all day will get me up to "Expert").

Red Scarlet said:
Well, I'm going by Persona 3, where the hit-all spells were kind of counter-intuitive to getting easy knockdowns against groups of different badguys with different weaknesses. With my Lilim and Alice, since they had the lv1 single-target spells, it cost less MP and I could knock everything down pretty easily. I don't know if a spell on a knocked-down enemy un-knocks them down in this one like they did in 3.

Is this game like Persona 3 where I have to have Knowledge level 3 for midterms to get something good? I can just get "Expert" the day before midterms, but I miss out on 2 S-Link level ups (study at the library on Saturday, ignore Nanako Saturday night and study instead, ignore Chie on Sunday and just study all day will get me up to "Expert").
It doesn't, and a miss or a hit to an enemy resilient by a multi hit spell no longer ends your attack.

noi5e

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know if a spell on a knocked-down enemy un-knocks them down in this one like they did in 3.

Is this game like Persona 3 where I have to have Knowledge level 3 for midterms to get something good? I can just get "Expert" the day before midterms, but I miss out on 2 S-Link level ups.

It doesn't, so the Ma- spells are sometimes (usually) preferable to the single-target ones in P4.

Yeah I was curious about the exam bonuses too. I got in the top ten and then I was first in the class but the reward seemed to be the same for both: $$$ from Dojima, S-Link points and items from the Egyptophile teacher.

edit: LOL, beaten twice.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

Getting top marks get you decent accessories from Nanako, money from Dojima and items from the history teacher. Top 10, you get less money and the same history teacher. Anything else and you get crappy money from Dojima. Also, your school S-links get a boost based on your score.

Red Scarlet

Ok, guess I'll study and get expert then. I think I'm whiffing big time on the requests, I think I've only completed 1 or 2 out of 3 that I've seen so far.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've been soloing Void's dungeon and its an Experience goldmine. I'm near level 50, but now I'm just going after the secondary boss with my normal group.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Ok, guess I'll study and get expert then. I think I'm whiffing big time on the requests, I think I've only completed 1 or 2 out of 3 that I've seen so far.

I stopped doing the quests personally. Some of them are useful for stat boosts, but the fact that you get them for the second go-around for dungeons sucks.:/

Top Bottom