• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
I stopped doing the quests personally. Some of them are useful for stat boosts, but the fact that you get them for the second go-around for dungeons sucks.:/

Not to mention that merely being on a quest makes you get the quest item instead of the enemy's regular drops, even if you already have what you need. I found myself losing out on more money than the quest reward was worth, as well as unlocking fewer weapons and armor.

zoku88

I never really did quests either, just for the sole reason that they usually required me to go to dungeons that I've already completed.

johnsmith

remember me
I did all the quests. Keeps you at a nice level for all the bosses and you can usually do them while on your way to the bonus boss anyway.

Just wondering, did trumpeter have those repels and nulls stats back in P3?

This time around I think I went overkill and managed to give it a repel physical and null wind to bolster it's already bloated null/repel repertoire.

Duelist

Wyndstryker said:
Just wondering, did trumpeter have those repels and nulls stats back in P3?

This time around I think I went overkill and managed to give it a repel physical and null wind to bolster it's already bloated null/repel repertoire.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he did. I used him in P3 the exact same way, he's amazing for buffing and defense.

zewone

Tamanon said:
Debilitate + Heat Riser = Never getting rid of Trumpeter ever.
Yoshitsune learns Heat Riser and he can learn Debilitate on the 24th of Dec.

With his null physical and Hassou Tobi (8xphysical hit to every enemy!) I prefer him over Trumpeter, but Trumpeter is still the shit if you don't go through the trouble of fusing Yoshitsune, but I think Yoshi is the best Persona in the game thus far.

I'm destroying the second playthrough.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Guled said:
I didn't bother with quests (other then the Hermit SL ones), I hope I didn't miss anything useful

All I've gotten from there so far is: money, stat raises, battle items, chest keys... and that's about it. Nothing essential but nice to have considering most of the quests don't involve any amount of effort other than talking to that person after making a run through a dungeon to give them whatever they requested from said dungeon.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:

Yup. The level 67 non-SLink Persona is enough to destroy the final bosses, even on Expert, surprisingly. So... what's the point of those later 30 levels filled with Persona? I honestly can't say.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
Used it all the time as soon as I got him ^^
Yaweee said:
Yup. The level 67 non-SLink Persona is enough to destroy the final bosses, even on Expert, surprisingly. So... what's the point of those later 30 levels filled with Persona? I honestly can't say.
Margaret? *shrug*

Red Scarlet

Wuh-oh.
p4008.png

Boulayman

Good evening gaffers,

I am in October and I think my knowledge stat is maxed out (that spider thingy in the status screen is full for that one), there are midterms coming up soon, is there a point to studying more now that it's maxed out or does the amount of studying I though influences the grade even when the knowledge and expression stats are maxed out ?

zoku88

You going to make a harem RS or are you going to be faithful? ;P

Boulayman said:
Good evening gaffers,

I am in October and I think my knowledge stat is maxed out (that spider thingy in the status screen is full for that one), there are midterms coming up soon, is there a point to studying more now that it's maxed out or does the amount of studying I though influences the grade even when the knowledge and expression stats are maxed out ?
Once knowledge is maxed, it's maxed. The only purpose of studying is to increase knowledge.

Boulayman

zoku88 said:
You going to make a harem RS or are you going to be faithful? ;P

Once knowledge is maxed, it's maxed. The only purpose of studying is to increase knowledge.

And the midterm grades are directly linked to that knowledge level and he answers you give right ?

Btw, is there something better than top 10 ? I got that once twice

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, I'm at the end of
Kanjis
dungeon and Im getting my ass kicked by the boss.

Im level 22, should I be higher or do you guys have any tips?

Boulayman

Dead said:
Man, I'm at the end of
Kanjis
dungeon and Im getting my ass kicked by the boss.

Im level 22, should I be higher or do you guys have any tips?

I feel your pain man, it was one of the toughest for me too. If I remember correctly, go for nice guy first then for tough guy and use Yousuke's abilities too. I was at around level 23 or something. Equip a physical resistant persona on your MC and use yousuke's ability to decrease the ennemy's stats and it makes it FAR easier

zoku88

Boulayman said:
And the midterm grades are directly linked to that knowledge level and he answers you give right ?

Btw, is there something better than top 10 ? I got that once twice
I believe I got the highest score on the final exam when my knowledge was maxed.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Red Scarlet said:
Wuh-oh.
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/p4008.png[img][/QUOTE]
I swear, the developers must have purposely set it up so Yukiko seemed like the more "canon"/real relationship of all the possibilities (if such a thing is possible). Most of the potential girlfriends do things like martial arts with you or take trips to the hospital. Yukiko? She takes you shopping. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Boulayman said:
I feel your pain man, it was one of the toughest for me too. If I remember correctly, go for nice guy first then for tough guy and use Yousuke's abilities too. I was at around level 23 or something. Equip a physical resistant persona on your MC and use yousuke's ability to decrease the ennemy's stats and it makes it FAR easier
thanks, beat him :D

zoku88

grandjedi6 said:
I swear, the developers must have purposely set it up so Yukiko seemed like the more "canon"/real relationship of all the possibilities (if such a thing is possible). Most of the potential girlfriends do things like martial arts with you or take trips to the hospital. Yukiko? She takes you shopping. :lol
I kinda felt that way too.

Her reactions even when she wasn't a gf kinda suggested that she liked you already without the soul linking.

At least it did to me.

hitoshi

Guys, I have a question. I'm not the JRPG kinda guy, I've tried a few games in the past (FF7-8-9-10-12, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon for example) but I've never ever finished one because of the grinding, the random encounters and so on. And the difficulty is also a really important point for me - so what about Persona 4? I've this "I have to buy a PS2 again" idea month by month, last time I've nearly did it after seeing Persona 3.

How hard is Persona 4 for a casual JRPG player like myself?

zewone

Play it on Beginner mode and you shouldn't have any problems.

Persona 4 (and 3) are pretty unconventional, with half the game being a dating/popularity sim and other half JRPG. It's definitely not for everybody (IMO, tho I could be wrong).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
zoku88 said:
I kinda felt that way too.

Her reactions even when she wasn't a gf kinda suggested that she liked you already without the soul linking.

At least it did to me.
Had I not known any better I would have guessed the game ultimately ended with "MC-Yukiko" and "Yosuke-Chie" pairings.

hitoshi said:
Guys, I have a question. I'm not the JRPG kinda guy, I've tried a few games in the past (FF7-8-9-10-12, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon for example) but I've never ever finished one because of the grinding, the random encounters and so on. And the difficulty is also a really important point for me - so what about Persona 4? I've this "I have to buy a PS2 again" idea month by month, last time I've nearly did it after seeing Persona 3.

The game doesn't have any random battles or grinding. However some of the boss battles can be quite difficult. But since the solution to boss battles is usually developing the right strategy/persona and since they give you a save point right before said boss battle, I wouldn't let this fact disuade you too much unless you really really hate difficulty in your RPGs.

DiddyBop

hitoshi said:

battles dont play out like a typical rpg where you can get by with any magic attack or a straight on physical assault,if you are willing to learn the game then you are in for a ton of enjoyment. but from your description i dont think persona 4 is the right game for you. its awesome and tied for my goty,but if youve never finished an rpg before,i doubt p4 will be your first one.

Yukiko is by far the easiest to level up IME. That screams 'canon romance' to me. I never had a scene where I only spent time with her but didn't level her up, something I had with all the other ladies. Maybe I was just lucky, or I said the right things to her.

Yukari is the one who takes you shopping in P3, but Fuuka is the one who makes you try her food. Going by The Answer in FES, it seems pretty clear that Yukari was the canon comance in P3. What this implies about P4's romances is not real clear to me.

Blackjack

Unknown Soldier said:
Yukiko is by far the easiest to level up IME. That screams 'canon romance' to me. I never had a scene where I only spent time with her but didn't level her up, something I had with all the other ladies. Maybe I was just lucky, or I said the right things to her.

Yukari is the one who takes you shopping in P3, but Fuuka is the one who makes you try her food. Going by The Answer in FES, it seems pretty clear that Yukari was the canon comance in P3. What this implies about P4's romances is not real clear to me.
You got lucky. I did her link ASAP since she was in my final party and I wanted the S.Link bonuses, and since I didn't have the points you get with your party automatically through the story (like on the camping trip, during summer festivals, etc) I got probably 4 or 5 spend times.

Besides, looking at the actual S.Link events, to remain friends with Yukiko, you
just have to tell her you like hanging out because you're friends
To remain friends with Rise, you
have to completely ignore her while she is OPENLY SOBBING

Kweh

I got some better weapons for Yosuke and Yukiko by going back into their dungeons, had to beat a boss for Yukiko's. Does Chie have a better weapon to get as well - how do I get it?

Tamanon

Banned
Kweh said:
I got some better weapons for Yosuke and Yukiko by going back into their dungeons, had to beat a boss for Yukiko's. Does Chie have a better weapon to get as well - how do I get it?

Unfortunately not, but Chie getes weapons all over the place.

Guled

Dose Yukiko get a weapon that is better then the one in the 2ed dungeon (in terms of SP boost since attack doesn't matter for her)?

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, not SP wise, although as the game goes on, her SP outpaces everyone else's anyways so it's just overkill. I use a weapon that increases Magic now.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, I love the game but I REALLY wish they wouldn't use honorifics in the dub. it just sounds so awkward (Kanji-koon, etc)

Varna

Dead said:
Man, I love the game but I REALLY wish they wouldn't use honorifics in the dub. it just sounds so awkward (Kanji-koon, etc)

Yeah. It just sounds retarded. Oh well.

I'm really digging the combat is this one. I thought I wouldn't since it seems like they were trying to make it easier with simplified attributes and the guard command. But they fixed the "Down system" which makes the game 100x more challenging anyways. Analyze doesn't seem to work the same either which is cool.

Hope I didn't make a mistake by starting in expert mode. :)

Blackjack said:
...I don't see Yukiko/MC OR Yosuke/Chie :(

MC/Rise, on the other hand...
Especially, with Rise chasing after the train yelling, "I love you!"
That was one of the things that made me wonder if Rise was supposed to be cannon.

Well, there are no places in town that rent P4, and as I just loaned it out to a guy that is now in Tuscaloosa, it's going to be a long time before I get to see the true ending.

Varna

Yeah... The tutorial section for this game is brutal. Three and a half hours and I am just barely starting the game. I hope this is the end of the hand holding phase.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, purposefully got the "bad ending" just now. Pretty lame. Luckily I saved beforehand, so other than going through a ton of cutscenes, I'm ready for the rest of the game.

Also, the music? On 12/3? Totally inappropriate.:lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
man, is it just me or is maxing all S links in a single go WAY harder compared to P3 .

im using the guide on gamefaqs and i've still run into a few occourances where what happens in my game doesn't correspond with the guide :-/

i failed to do the lover angle with
naoto
, even though i chose every option the guide asked me to ..

Tamanon

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Well, purposefully got the "bad ending" just now. Pretty lame. Luckily I saved beforehand, so other than going through a ton of cutscenes, I'm ready for the rest of the game.

Also, the music? On 12/3? Totally inappropriate.:lol

I've actually thought about it a bit more and the music isn't that inappropriate. It's always playing whenever the team is resolved or some important breakthrough in a relationship happens. Guess breakthroughs aren't always good things. Plus I think it was used to throw you off so it's more shocking.:lol

Tamanon

Banned
chandoog said:
man, is it just me or is maxing all S links in a single go WAY harder compared to P3 .

im using the guide on gamefaqs and i've still run into a few occourances where what happens in my game doesn't correspond with the guide :-/

i failed to do the lover angle with
naoto
, even though i chose every option the guide asked me to ..

I'm pretty sure you can only do the lover angle on second cycle for that one.

zoku88

grandjedi6 said:
Had I not known any better I would have guessed the game ultimately ended with "MC-Yukiko" and "Yosuke-Chie" pairings.
I would have guessed that too, given their interactions together.

Top Bottom