• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

johnsmith said:
Why would you play an undub when the english VAs are so good.

Why would I watch [insert foreign film name here] in the original language when the English dubbing is so good?

Same reason.

It has nothing to do with how "good" the VA is in the original language or the dubbed language, and everything to do with preserving the artistic integrity of the original performance. Either you care about this or you don't. I do. Quite frankly I don't care about whether other people prefer dubs or subs. It's an indvidual preference and it's none of my business. You can do what you want. But I'm not some weaboo who thinks there's something inherently better about Japanese. I have watched films in Chinese (my other native language besides English), Korean, Spanish, German, and what have you. Always with the original language and subtitles. And I play undubs whenever they are available.

Unknown Soldier said:
Why would I watch [insert foreign film name here] in the original language when the English dubbing is so good?

Same reason.

It has nothing to do with how "good" the VA is in the original language or the dubbed language, and everything to do with preserving the artistic integrity of the original performance. Either you care about this or you don't. I do. Quite frankly I don't care about whether other people prefer dubs or subs. It's an indvidual preference and it's none of my business. You can do what you want. But I'm not some weaboo who thinks there's something inherently better about Japanese. I have watched films in Chinese (my other native language besides English), Korean, Spanish, German, and what have you. Always with the original language and subtitles. And I play undubs whenever they are available.
Would you play an undub if the original creators thought the english version conveyed their vision better?

Blackjack

Unknown Soldier said:

Same reason.

Believe it or not, but the English version of the game is intended to be played with English voices.

Tamanon

Banned
Artistically it makes no sense since you're reading an English translation anyways and since you don't know Japanese, then you don't know what they're trying to do with the voice acting in Japanese.

But whatever, some people just have moronic standards.:lol

Volcynika

Unknown Soldier said:

Same reason.

You do realize some things had to be changed around (meaning it's not an exact literal translation, but rather kept the feel of the game) so we would understand it right? So it's not even close to a purer form by playing an undub.

You're a silly person.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Unknown Soldier said:

Same reason.

Things are still lost in translation, be it subbed or dubbed, your not gaining any special context by played it subbed (except squawking in a different language).

MrDenny

I might buy a used copy from gamestop using a 25% off coupon, but on their website it says it's not available in my area. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. The last RPG I enjoyed was FFX-2 (FFXII was a disappointment imo). How's the story? P4 worth purchasing?

ukiraros

Now that Valkyria Chronicles is finished I can finally start playing this.

I have a question:
If I should choose basketball, can I later join the soccer club to get the other S.link?

All I can say is the soundtrack for this game is absolutely amazing. The track "Your Affection" is addictive. The information from the PS3 showed I listened to this track 56 times.

Volcynika

ukiraros said:
Now that Valkyria Chronicles is finished I can finally start playing this.

I have a question:
If I should choose basketball, can I later join the soccer club to get the other S.link?

All I can say is the soundtrack for this game is absolutely amazing. The track "Your Affection" is addictive. The information from the PS3 showed I listened to this track 56 times.

No. You'd end up befriending the main soccer/basketball guys no matter what. They're friends, so it's like a two person S Link.

ukiraros

crowphoenix said:
But you do get different plots. A little bonus for second play throughs.

I think I know what you mean. Like if I choose basketball I'll be doing basketball related events and vice versa.

Boulayman

S-Links questions, I am in November

Okay, I am starting to really worry that I am running out of time with my S-links. So far I have only maxed out the sports guys, Yukiko and dojima. I am 8 with Nanako and 9 with Yosuke, I am only 5 or 6 with Chie, very low with Rise and low with kanji (I think five). I am pretty high up with though with the nurse, that drama club one and the mother though but I still haven't started out the Naoto one (can't figure out how to get it started) or that Konishi one and the tutor one :( Am I in really bad shape ?

Tamanon said:
Artistically it makes no sense since you're reading an English translation anyways and since you don't know Japanese, then you don't know what they're trying to do with the voice acting in Japanese.

You guys don't understand. It has nothing to do with the translation, or the changing around of meanings, or anything like that. By artistic intent I meant the emotional and subjective feeling of what is being said. Human emotions are universal and it doesn't matter what language is spoken, you can tell if someone is angry or happy or sad or whatever.

Well, maybe the African language with the clicking sound would be hard to judge, but besides very esoteric languages, the point is clear.

But whatever, some people just have moronic standards.:lol

Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(Today, 10:07 PM)

Well, you certainly do live up to the standards your tag implies.

Anyways, this is the last I'll speak of this. I can smell the banstick and I like it here. So I won't say anything about this again, and I hope you guys will do the same.

Boulayman

Unknown Soldier said:
Well, maybe the African language with the clicking sound would be hard to judge, but besides very esoteric languages, the point is clear.

Wat, what do you mean African language ? And what do you mean clicking sound ?

(Maybe it's part of the discussion you guys were having and I am reading that sentence possibly out of context but the part I am quoting makes you the one that sounds moronic)

TChirath

Neo Member
Some custom personas that I found to be very useful mid - endgame. I have not maxed out my level so I don't have godly personas like Helel or Lucifer yet.

All-auto Tamlin

IMG_2362.jpg

6-element single target with null ice White rider

IMG_2364.jpg

Complete immunity Trumpeter

IMG_2361.jpg

6-element all target with null light Beelzebub

IMG_2360.jpg

Boulayman

About TChirath's post (edited out the quote part of my post since it made it too large)
I really really like the chara design of the first two. I had a look at skills too.... They're the definition of badass !!! Those are some very useful personas to have

I am SO jealous right now

Man, screw the
Heaven
dungeon. I've been insta-deathed like four times already just in this dungeon. Once by a set of two regular enemies that appeared right after I decimated the mid-boss. I'm having more trouble with the grunts than bosses right now. Why are regular enemies nulling all attacks now? I never saw that in P3.

BlueTsunami

Big Icarus said:
Man, screw the
Heaven
dungeon. I've been insta-deathed like four times already just in this dungeon. Once by a set of two regular enemies that appeared right after I decimated the mid-boss. I'm having more trouble with the grunts than bosses right now. Why are regular enemies nulling all attacks now? I never saw that in P3.

The precursor was
Void's dungeon
. The enemies started to repelling certain elements, it just seems like the natural progression :lol. I try to circumvent these annoyances by confusing my enemies and bludgeoning them to death. If they Null/Repel Physical attacks then they usually have an elemental weakness.

BlueTsunami said:
The precursor was
Void's dungeon
. The enemies started to repelling certain elements, it just seems like the natural progression :lol. I try to circumvent these annoyances by confusing my enemies and bludgeoning them to death. If they Null/Repel Physical attacks then they usually have an elemental weakness.

No, I think they were nulling physical too. It was the table type enemies in that dungeon that got me. They were only susceptible to garu spells,so I figured I was fine since Yosuke was in my party. But so was Yukiko. Three Mabufudynes in a row right after they got back up from an all out attack. Seriously?

BlueTsunami

I just made Tam Lin that specializes in Evading and I have an Eagle Eye (upgrade to the Falcon Eye) Ring which greatly raises your evasion rate. I'm totally soloing
Naoto's
Dungeon with ease :lol . Every other physical attack against me, I evade and if I don't evade there's a chance I'll deflect the damage. Good persona, for now... I wonder if he'll be relevant in the next dungeon.

Wow. That boss in the
Heaven
dungeon is brutal. I'm at lvl 58 right now, and he is killing me in one shot after he unveils his special gimmick. Am I really under-leveled for where I'm at now? Gotta mess around in the Velvet Room till I get a persona that can
null all elements now.

Blackjack

Big Icarus said:
Wow. That boss in the
Heaven
dungeon is brutal. I'm at lvl 58 right now, and he is killing me in one shot after he unveils his special gimmick. Am I really under-leveled for where I'm at now? Gotta mess around in the Velvet Room till I get a persona that can
null all elements now.
Just guard that first time until you see what element he's using and then switch to something that nulls that element. It's great, really, because it works both ways and you can do massive damage right back to him :lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Big Icarus said:
Wow. That boss in the
Heaven
null all elements now.
Yeah, I was something like 56 when I was at him. You should be fine once you realize that that element has increased damage on EVERYONE, not just your party. :D

Blackjack said:
Just guard that first time until you see what element he's using and then switch to something that nulls that element. It's great, really, because it works both ways and you can do massive damage right back to him :lol

He has a habit of casting (element) break when I'm using a persona that nulls whichever element he's on. It's annoying.

But I didn't realize my elemental attacks did more damage then. I figured he'd be immune to them.

Blackjack

Big Icarus said:
He has a habit of casting (element) break when I'm using a persona that nulls whichever element he's on. It's annoying.

But I didn't realize my elemental attacks did more damage then. I figured he'd be immune to them.
Yeah, but the gimmick only lasts three turns, and Element Break's a turn that he's NOT damaging you. :lol And as long as your Persona isn't actually weak to the element and only nulling it through a skill, you should be able to survive a single hit from the spell, if you're at full.

And yeah, you do extra too. It's especially great with Mind Charge.

Vorador

Banned
It was troublesome, but i managed to beat him at level 60. Remember to abuse of buff/debuff spells, also having Black Frost around was handy.

firex

even better than that is having some Repel element personas. he'll still maybe cast element break on you, but if he doesn't, then you can reflect his spells back at him for tons of free damage.

elbkhm

TChirath said:
Some custom personas that I found to be very useful mid - endgame. I have not maxed out my level so I don't have godly personas like Helel or Lucifer yet.

All-auto Tamlin

6-element single target with null ice White rider

Complete immunity Trumpeter

6-element all target with null light Beelzebub
Lots of cool stuff, but... you named the protagonist "Boat"? :lol

Varna

Cleared the first dungeon. It was a pretty satisfying experience. Hopefully this is the shortest of the dungeons though.

So how does when tell when the fog will lift? Somebody was giving an explanation on it but I missed it... :(

P90

MrDenny said:
I might buy a used copy from gamestop using a 25% off coupon, but on their website it says it's not available in my area. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow. The last RPG I enjoyed was FFX-2 (FFXII was a disappointment imo). How's the story? P4 worth purchasing?

I'm not into the third dungeon, so I can't comment on overall story, but Persona 4 has probably the best characters and dialogue for a JRPG in ages. Some of the dialogue is possibly the best I have experienced in a videogame. Plus the game is addictive fun.

Just buy it and try it.

Guled

Varna said:
Cleared the first dungeon. It was a pretty satisfying experience. Hopefully this is the shortest of the dungeons though.

So how does when tell when the fog will lift? Somebody was giving an explanation on it but I missed it... :(
the first dungeon is the shortest one, also the fog lifts when it gets foggy in the real world (which is after a couple days of rain non stop)

So I finished this yesterday, true ending and all, and I've got a lot of thoughts on it. Really an incredibly awesome game from start to finish. Off the top of my head, there are no characters that aren't likable and I actually found myself laughing at quite a lot.

The voice acting was ridiculously awesome, even if some of the affectation was off(I'm looking at you Chie!) and some of the translation was seemingly too direct("Our foe is down! We must strike now!" ...Yukiko). Teddie's writing/acting was particularly multifaceted and endearing.

Major, major spoilers for the whole game:

First of all, why does no ending show the world being enveloped in fog and everyone turning into shadows?

Also, the whole time I kept remarking to myself, "wow, Adachi's VA is pretty awesome considering how small a role he plays". :lol He was seriously an amazing villain, and I kinda wish he was the final boss, period. Obviously there'd need to be more to the fight, and he'd have to be harder, but I friggin' loved his character in the end.

The giant eye and Izanami, while interesting and necessary explanations for what happened, are just a bit too out there, imho. Not too mention how they ran the excitement of "it's finally over!" into the ground with all of the "but wait, there's more!" moments. Also arg at "congratulations humans! you've shown your true potential!" nonsense. Seriously, way to fuck up an incredibly unique gaming experience with a halfass villain spouting cliche nonsense.

I played normal mode, and the difficulty felt off. I think I died more to randoms than to bosses. Though some fights were just perfect, like Izanami's 2nd form where I won with at most 2 turns to spare before lack of SP/items would have meant guaranteed loss. So awesome.

I think the normal battle music, while very cool, didn't always fit. I think it would have been better if they ditched it altogether and just kept playing the dungeon music. Save the current battle music for the minibosses. Especially in Izanami's zone and Heaven. The zones/music/tension created a perfect mood, and then the poppy rock music shits all over it. Big ups on all of the music though, regardless of implementation. The (free :D) soundtrack is going to be getting a lot of plays for sure.

I only critique it so much because I love it so much! :lol My birthday is coming up this month and I'll definitely be plunging into P3:F, and possibly Nocturne. Atlus has really become my go-to company, it seems like they can do no wrong.

One more thing! Is it just me or did some things get censored in the US version? I swear Senri(Lv9ish Empress) has a mushroom penis in its portrait, but its model is wearing a leotard or some crap. There were a few other personae that seemed to undergo such changes as well. Also *super minor comedic relief spoiler*
the festival where Teddie ends up with all three girls and then they complain about him spilling/breaking things. It seems like, given Teddie's personality and the nature of the game, they were supposed to be complaining about him like groping them or something
:lol

So much <3 to GAF for hyping the shit out of this and P3, this is going in my game hall of fame.

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Seriously, way to fuck up an incredibly unique gaming experience with a halfass villain spouting cliche nonsense.
Sounds like Adachi to me.
Like in FES I was a bit disapointed with the main plot.
KO Traveling Hobo said:
One more thing! Is it just me or did some things get censored in the US version? I swear Senri(Lv9ish Empress) has a mushroom penis in its portrait, but its model is wearing a leotard or some crap. There were a few other personae that seemed to undergo such changes as well. Also *super minor comedic relief spoiler*
the festival where Teddie ends up with all three girls and then they complain about him spilling/breaking things. It seems like, given Teddie's personality and the nature of the game, they were supposed to be complaining about him like groping them or something
I'm pretty sure Senri has been the same since Nocturne.

Volcynika

KO Traveling Hobo said:
One more thing! Is it just me or did some things get censored in the US version? I swear Senri(Lv9ish Empress) has a mushroom penis in its portrait, but its model is wearing a leotard or some crap.

I doubt it, because
Mara's in the game, and well...that's a penis chariot.

noi5e

Big Icarus said:
Wow. That boss in the
Heaven
null all elements now.

I was at level 50 when I fought that guy the first time... It was funny because I just rushed the entire dungeon in a day, using Makarakarn to kill the cross midboss in one turn. Then I got to the top and he smoked my entire party with a Ma- spell.

He was pretty manageable if somewhat slow to die in the mid-to-late 50's. Guarding was pretty key.

Top Bottom