• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

johnsmith

remember me
chandoog said:
man, is it just me or is maxing all S links in a single go WAY harder compared to P3 .

im using the guide on gamefaqs and i've still run into a few occourances where what happens in my game doesn't correspond with the guide :-/

i failed to do the lover angle with
naoto
, even though i chose every option the guide asked me to ..

That guide leaves you with about a month to spare.

Dead said:
Man, I love the game but I REALLY wish they wouldn't use honorifics in the dub. it just sounds so awkward (Kanji-koon, etc)
yeah, but it's a lost battle, I almost got used to senpai because it's a way to call the MC without using his name but I'll never get used to any of the kuns of chans

everyone should just call the MC sensei

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
johnsmith said:
That guide leaves you with about 2 months to spare.

i screwed up the hermit s link once and it led me to missing out on all the things for quiet some time because the god damn school was closed >_>

ok so maybe its a little bit of me doing something wrong as well .. <_<

Varna

I like how the camera is now pretty close when exploring... makes me wish they would have added first person view. That would have taken me back.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, it's looking like for my first run through, I'll be able to max all of the S Links except for
Moon, Temperance, and Hanged Man. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

I'm at 12/3, with Lv 7 Emperor S Link and Lv 5 Tower S Link. Here's hoping I can finish those before the end. Also going to have to fit in one level of Death in there too.

Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure you can only do the lover angle on second cycle for that one.
I'm pretty sure that the guide doesn't use the relationship choices for her because at least in the first run, they net you no s-link EXP, which makes that one really long to work through.

firex

chandoog said:
man, is it just me or is maxing all S links in a single go WAY harder compared to P3 .

im using the guide on gamefaqs and i've still run into a few occourances where what happens in my game doesn't correspond with the guide :-/

i failed to do the lover angle with
naoto
, even though i chose every option the guide asked me to ..
That guide gives you the wrong answers. You're supposed to do this:
"I like you more as a girl." when prompted at like rank 5 or 6 (the guide says "Your gender doesn't matter." which is the best friends answer, then later
"Protect Naoto" when the guy is pointing a knife at her. If you don't pick those two, you only become friends.

also to go along with the honorifics discussion everyone's having, I didn't like it either. it makes no sense for anyone but Teddie to call the MC sensei, so I can see why nobody else would call him that, but all the other ones aren't even necessary aside from possibly showing different levels of respect among the party. But even that could be localized into English pretty easily, since about the only person who doesn't call you name-kun in the team is Naoto or the other guys, and since Naoto calls you senpai or name-san, it'd be easy enough to localize that as calling you "sir," every now and then, like they're dealing with a superior officer or something. Kanji/Rise could just call you Leader in battle.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
That guide gives you the wrong answers. You're supposed to do this:
"I like you more as a girl." when prompted at like rank 5 or 6 (the guide says "Your gender doesn't matter." which is the best friends answer, then later
"Protect Naoto" when the guy is pointing a knife at her. If you don't pick those two, you only become friends.

also to go along with the honorifics discussion everyone's having, I didn't like it either. it makes no sense for anyone but Teddie to call the MC sensei, so I can see why nobody else would call him that, but all the other ones aren't even necessary aside from possibly showing different levels of respect among the party. But even that could be localized into English pretty easily, since about the only person who doesn't call you name-kun in the team is Naoto or the other guys, and since Naoto calls you senpai or name-san, it'd be easy enough to localize that as calling you "sir," every now and then, like they're dealing with a superior officer or something. Kanji/Rise could just call you Leader in battle.

I thought the dialogue choice looked weird for getting a serious relationship, but I just assumed it's because they're a complex person.:lol

cakeman19

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Well, it's looking like for my first run through, I'll be able to max all of the S Links except for
Moon, Temperance, and Hanged Man. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Wow, those are the EXACT same ones I wasn't able to max on my first playthrough

Edit: Didn't read the rest of your post. You kind of missed Emperor if your at 12/3.

Tamanon said:
I thought the dialogue choice looked weird for getting a serious relationship, but I just assumed it's because they're a complex person.:lol
Getting into a serious relationship with her is also the most fun as it's pretty much the MC messing with her and her freaking out over it. I didn't get to complete it, but what I did go through was a lot of fun.

I didn't like the honorifics at first, but now it just wouldn't be right without them. I hope they don't take it out for the next game, if/when there is a next one.

P90

Unknown Soldier said:
Yukiko is by far the easiest to level up IME. That screams 'canon romance' to me. I never had a scene where I only spent time with her but didn't level her up, something I had with all the other ladies. Maybe I was just lucky, or I said the right things to her.

Yukari is the one who takes you shopping in P3, but Fuuka is the one who makes you try her food. Going by The Answer in FES, it seems pretty clear that Yukari was the canon comance in P3. What this implies about P4's romances is not real clear to me.

Maybe the game senses preferences/trends? Chie is the girl for me! I'm not even into the third dungeon and her S. Link is 7+.

The thought occurred to me that maybe it is due to stats? My courage (Chie?) was higher than intelligence (Yukiko?) so far.

Tamanon

Banned
P90 said:
Maybe the game senses preferences/trends? Chie is the girl for me! I'm not even into the third dungeon and her S. Link is 7+.

The thought occurred to me that maybe it is due to stats? My courage (Chie?) was higher than intelligence (Yukiko?) so far.

I think it's more to do with how you choose the answers, if your natural personality causes you to lean a different way, that'll manifest in picking answers that different S. Links take better.

Varna

Yeah. Expert on my first game is going to present some challenges. I just got the first mini-boss and he pretty much just took out my MC in a single hit. I'm sticking with it... if it's anything like P3 it will start out easy and get more manageable later.

Ourobolus

Banned
Tamanon said:
I think it's more to do with how you choose the answers, if your natural personality causes you to lean a different way, that'll manifest in picking answers that different S. Links take better.

There are many things that are factors.

- Answering things a certain way nets you more "points" to the next rank.
- Having a persona of that arcana during the event adds even more points, I think it's like 1.5 or 2x what the normal points for a response would be.
- Also, your team members are the easiest to level, by far, followed by classmates, and then lastly, everyone else. There are enough events that happen throughout the year that will increase social links across the board for your team/classmates without you actually having to go spend time with them.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Do Social Links carry across to the New Game+? I'm thinking it doesn't (blank slate) but I don't see how its possible to max out every social link.

Ourobolus

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Do Social Links carry across to the New Game+? I'm thinking it doesn't (blank slate) but I don't see how its possible to max out every social link.

No. But the items you get for maxing S. Links do.

It apparently is possible to max them all in one playthrough, though.

BlueTsunami

Ourobolus said:
No. But the items you get for maxing S. Links do.

It apparently is possible to max them all in one playthrough, though.

The memento items they give you? Do they have any special uses?

firex

those items are basically the hidden requirement to fuse the max social link persona, at least if P3 is anything to go by (in Fes I fused ultimate personas for social links I didn't max, after I maxed them in vanilla P3 and carried the data over).

Just fyi but maxing every social link gives you a mostly crap reward compared to P3. But P3 was more annoying to max every link in, and the reward was good if you wanted to fight its optional new game+ boss, I guess. And it's not really that P4's max every social link reward is bad, but I'm pretty sure new game+ can give you an item with similar effects.

Tamanon

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

I maxed them out in my second cycle playthrough by December.

BlueTsunami

Ahhh ok, thanks guys. I thought they just signified getting a Max Link, good to know they actually have a purpose.

Tamanon said:

You need to use each day smartly (as far as who you meetup with) to do this? Seems as though one need a guide to navigate all that.

grandjedi6 said:
I swear, the developers must have purposely set it up so Yukiko seemed like the more "canon"/real relationship of all the possibilities (if such a thing is possible). Most of the potential girlfriends do things like martial arts with you or take trips to the hospital. Yukiko? She takes you shopping. :lol
Yeah, Yukiko totally digs the MC, as does Rise. Too bad I've been holding out for
Naoto.
I felt bad having to turn down Rise and I'll have to deal with Yukikl here shortly. >_>

I actually don't have a problem with honorifics.

Narcosis

Tamanon said:

I'm curious, did you near the end have the game seeming to aid in a catch up sense by any chance?
What I mean is I didn't start the S.Link for Saki-Senpai's brother or Ai Ebihara until late October on my first run and it seemed I was getting approached by both at a larger rate than normal during lunchtime at school, almost like the game was trying to force me to max them before time ran out.

About the honorifics:

I've been playing an undub version of the game (yes, I did buy it and I have the retail game and art book from Amazon) and the honorifics make a lot more sense when they are actually speaking Japanese.

ninj4junpei said:
Yeah, Yukiko totally digs the MC, as does Rise. Too bad I've been holding out for
Naoto.
I felt bad having to turn down Rise and I'll have to deal with Yukikl here shortly. >_>

You know, the thing about games not being real is that you can do things you can't do in real life. ;)

Yeah, I'm going for the harem too. I've already maxed Yukiko and I'm working on Chie right now, I'm hoping to have her maxed before I rescue
Rise
so I can get right on her. Heh. Get right on her.

Wilsongt

Narcosis said:
I'm curious, did you near the end have the game seeming to aid in a catch up sense by any chance?
What I mean is I didn't start the S.Link for Saki-Senpai's brother or Ai Ebihara until late October on my first run and it seemed I was getting approached by both at a larger rate than normal during lunchtime at school, almost like the game was trying to force me to max them before time ran out.

It seems those two are naturally prone to approaching you more often. When I established Naoki's S. Link, he approached me three days in a row the day after I established it. It was insane.

Tamanon

Banned
Narcosis said:

Naoki showed up every day he was available, he's also an easy one to level up normally anyways, I never actually just spent time with him.

BlueTsunami: Nah I didn't use a guide for it, it's pretty simple since you don't have to raise stats.

I picked up the DoubleJump guide solely for the correct S-Link answers and daily planner, and I'll have every S-link except Moon maxed out my first playthrough. It definitely feels easier than P3's overall, with many more story-related events giving S-link boosts to prevent "wasted" days.

Ourobolus

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
I picked up the DoubleJump guide solely for the correct S-Link answers and daily planner, and I'll have every S-link except Moon maxed out my first playthrough. It definitely feels easier than P3's overall, with many more story-related events giving S-link boosts to prevent "wasted" days.

I personally think that it feels easier because there are

4 S Links that you do at night (Hierophant, Justice, Tower, Devil)
3 S Links that level up automatically (Fool, Star, Judgment)
And 1 S Link that you can finish in a day (Empress).

As opposed to P3, where only 1 was at night (Tower...yes, I know FES moved Devil to night), and only Death, Fool, and Judgment levelled automatically.

I didn't mind the honorifics in P3. The only reason I wanted them in P4 is because they were in P3. Now I want them to stay in the series for good.

Tamanon

Banned
Ourobolus said:

As opposed to P3, where only 1 was at night (Tower...yes, I know FES moved Devil to night), and only Death, Fool, and Judgment levelled automatically.

Plus the whole concept of making lunch to help speed up S. Links really help them too.

Guled

Ourobolus said:

but then in P3 you have an extra month to lvl SLinks, and the dungeons take place in the afternoon instead of at night

BlueTsunami

johnsmith said:
Why would you play an undub when the english VAs are so good.

I've read people saying the English VA sucks and wow, these people are so wrong. The voice acting in this game is phenomenal. The Club scene alone proves this.

Tamanon said:
BlueTsunami: Nah I didn't use a guide for it, it's pretty simple since you don't have to raise stats.

Oh nice. Yeah, raising stats does eat up a huge chunk of time... I guess I will end up playing through the game again.

Tamanon

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've read people saying the English VA sucks and wow, these people are so wrong. The voice acting in this game is phenomenal. The Club scene alone proves this.

I heard someone say that Nanako was annoying:(

Top Bottom