• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Adam Prime said:
Should I add Teddie to my party and start using him? Right now I am going through the 8-bit dungeon with Teddie, Youske, and Yukiko... basically I have kicked out Chie. Does anyone recommend doing this or sticking it out with certain characters? Please refrain from spoiling future party members for me, thanks!

Personally, I kept
Both in my party, as Teddie's ice attacks are far more effective than Chie's. It depends though, if you want two "healers" in your party. Really, Teddie and Yukiko share several of the same skills in addition to the same role, but Chie kind of suffers for the mid-game until she picks up power charge and god-hand.

All my own opinion, of course. :p

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Metroidvania said:
Personally, I kept
Both in my party, as Teddie's ice attacks are far more effective than Chie's. It depends though, if you want two "healers" in your party. Really, Teddie and Yukiko share several of the same skills in addition to the same role, but Chie kind of suffers for the mid-game until she picks up power charge and god-hand.

All my own opinion, of course. :p

Who did you bounce out then at that point in the game? Youske?

firex

I really never liked Yosuke, even after I maxed his link, and I feel like he's probably the most expendable of the current crew you have. It's pretty easy to replace him by fusing a persona with sukukaja, dekaja, and a garu spell. Or just dekaja and a garu spell, since honestly sukukaja wasn't as good as I'd wanted it to be.

Adam Prime said:
I rotated party members, for the most part. Kept everyone fairly up to date, it worked well. Chie became regulated to dungeon crawling before she got Power Charge, and then she came back into the boss teams with a vengeance.

does anyone know if difficulty level changes how much EXP you earn? i remember being at like level 91 when i finished p3 the first time through this time i finished at 75 i played both games at beginner, so it must either be that or maybe it is because P4 is shorter in length.

also, what exactly does and does not carry over in a new game plus?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I just spent an ass load of yen summoning Personae needed to fuse Black Frost (or whatever he's called) and then come to find out I still need to Lv up to 38 to fuse him! Haha oh well, should get there in no time.

Blackjack

wangman31888 said:
does anyone know if difficulty level changes how much EXP you earn? i remember being at like level 91 when i finished p3 the first time through this time i finished at 75 i played both games at beginner, so it must either be that or maybe it is because P4 is shorter in length.

also, what exactly does and does not carry over in a new game plus?
It's because you didn't fight as much.

Carries over: Compendium, Max S.Link items (the the links themselves are reset), any items you've received for Compendium Completion (you get items at 25, 50, 75, and 100% completion), and yen.

Doesn't carry over: Everything else (yes, you start back on level 1, and yes you can still buy things from the Compendium even if you're a much lower level than them)

Blackjack said:
It's because you didn't fight as much.

Carries over: Compendium, Max S.Link items (the the links themselves are reset), any items you've received for Compendium Completion (you get items at 25, 50, 75, and 100% completion), and yen.

Doesn't carry over: Everything else (yes, you start back on level 1, and yes you can still buy things from the Compendium even if you're a much lower level than them)

thanks alot! sux how u gotta start back up at level 1 tho!!! i really wanna get those badass persona's and i thought i could get em on second playthrough without too much effort but now i find out i gotta start from scratch? argh!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Adam Prime said:

Personally, I rotated out Chie, her physical skills weren't cutting it, and
Teddie's ic skills are much more damaging

But then, I tended to just burn through the dungeon early, use all my sp up, maybe use the hermit s.link once, turn in, and come back later.

thanks alot! sux how u gotta start back up at level 1 tho!!! i really wanna get those badass persona's and i thought i could get em on second playthrough without too much effort but now i find out i gotta start from scratch? argh!

Uh...

and yes you can still buy Persona from the Compendium even if you're a much lower level than them)

Don't know about fusing in itself, level-wise, tho.

Volcynika

You can bring back anything from the compendium regardless of level. BUT, you cannot fuse personas higher than your level, even if they're in the compendium. You'd have to summon them from there, or get to that level.

Volcynika said:
You can bring back anything from the compendium regardless of level. BUT, you cannot fuse personas higher than your level, even if they're in the compendium. You'd have to summon them from there, or get to that level.
Unless you get a Fusion accident that gives you a Persona way above your level. Apparently someone tried to fuse a Jack Frost... and got Satan instead. Early on, too.

Junpei Heat

A while back I made a persona and during the fusion process it had a accident/mistake/whatever and I got Legion. The thing was that Legion was LV.22/23 and I was 18/19 but I still got to keep him.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Volcynika

ZephyrFate said:
Unless you get a Fusion accident that gives you a Persona way above your level. Apparently someone tried to fuse a Jack Frost... and got Satan instead. Early on, too.

It happens. Accidents do! I never had one happen during my playthrough of P4, but it happened like once or twice in P3. That's the only exception, and the odds seem fairly low.

zewone

My current three I'm using for my second play through. I'm a sucker for Cool Breeze and Spell Master.

Picture002Medium.jpg

Picture003Medium.jpg

Picture004Medium.jpg

RocketDarkness said:
I rotated party members, for the most part. Kept everyone fairly up to date, it worked well. Chie became regulated to dungeon crawling before she got Power Charge, and then she came back into the boss teams with a vengeance.

Ah, I meant to ask about that. What's the point of Power/Mind Charge for the player's characters? Since it doubles the damage, wouldn't it be just as effective to use it twice? I beat the whole game and I still feel like such a noob. :lol

ZephyrFate said:

Damn, I didn't even know that was possible. I got a few accidents, and they all ended up being crappier than the intended result. :(

zewone

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Ah, I meant to ask about that. What's the point of Power/Mind Charge for the player's characters? Since it doubles the damage, wouldn't it be just as effective to use it twice? I beat the whole game and I still feel like such a noob. :lol
It depends, mind/power charge may end up being "cheaper" SP-wise than doing the same move twice. One maziodyne is 22SP, while mind charge is 15SP. Also, charges stack with any buffs you have and I swear it's more powerful than just 2x like the game says, more like 2.5x.

zewone said:
It depends, mind/power charge may end up being "cheaper" SP-wise than doing the same move twice. One maziodyne is 22SP, while mind charge is 15SP. Also, charges stack with any buffs you have and I swear it's more powerful than just 2x like the game says, more like 2.5x.
Same. It's especially useful for Power Charge, since it uses SP that you wouldn't be using otherwise for Chie.

Vorador

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Same. It's especially useful for Power Charge, since it uses SP that you wouldn't be using otherwise for Chie.

And you consume less HP than simply using two times the same skill, and you do more damage at the end.

BTW, i just hit December. HOLY SHIT. The plot thickens.

Ledsen

cakeman19 said:
THAT'S the spoiler everyone was warning you about? Uh...Don't look through the rest of the book.

Hm? I looked through the entire book and the spoiler he mentioned is the only one I can remember :p

AniHawk

So right now it's mid-July

And Teddie's on the team. Are there people I can essentially just leave behind now or will I need to be leveling up six people from here on out? Yosuke seems particularly useless.

Vorador

Banned
AniHawk said:

And Teddie's on the team. Are there people I can essentially just leave behind now or will I need to be leveling up six people from here on out? Yosuke seems particularly useless.

Ummm, there's no one specially necessary. You can fit your party with whatever people you want.

I completely shunned Teddie and Kanji from my party, only tried them out once and never again

NoxiousD

Neo Member
I beat this the week of xmas, I am really looking forward to a 2nd playthrough but right now I am trying to focus on getting some acheivements for my 360 LOL. I wonder what Persona 5 is coming out for? I am hoping the PS3

Tamanon

Banned
Blackjack said:
Look again.
Maybe around Adachi's portraits...

That's not necessarily a spoiler.

It could just be him having a shadow form like everyone else. Naoto's outfits might be a spoiler though

Tamanon said:
That's not necessarily a spoiler.

It could just be him having a shadow form like everyone else. Naoto's outfits might be a spoiler though
Naw it's a huge spoiler, especially
because it makes a whole lot of sense,
I saw it around september and everything just clicked.
And everyone knew about Naoto since
they first heard her talk.

Tenks

I'm not going to spoil anything but...

The 12/03 and 12/04 storyline events could easily be the most memorable events in my video gaming history.

AniHawk said:

Yosuke-
Near end game, he actually becomes one of, if not the, most powerful damage dealing mage you have. Leave him with both wind boost and wind amp, and he will be dealing out massive amounts of damage.

But in all honesty, all parties will work as long as you are comfortable with them.

does stat skill stack? like, if I have Counter and another Counterattack skill that basically give different chance to repel physical attack, do the percentages stack? or it's better to just remove the old one and keep the newer one only

firex

I have no idea if the different levels of counter skills stack. I didn't personally bother figuring out because they aren't as useful as combining boost/amp skills, and the only other person who got multiple counter skills was Chie, and she had too many other useful abilities for me to skip out on her skills.

also re: Yosuke, you can definitely stack wind boost/amp on his persona, but you can also give him any kind of wind vow accessory instead of keeping wind boost if you max his link. the game basically stacks the two highest damage boosts for an elemental type that it can find, and when maxed, his new persona doesn't have any weaknesses, so you can use his accessory slot on a storm vow or some other wind damage boosting accessory if you like.

Ourobolus

Banned
AniHawk said:

I levelled everyone equally, but for the final (not true ending boss...still working on that) boss,
I used Yosuke for his amazing damage output with wind, Chie for her insane Power Charge + God's Hand combo, and Yukiko for healing.

Pretty much everyone has some use. Kanji kinda starts to slow down as far as damage output, especially due to his terrible, terrible MAG stat, and Naoto is really only good for random encounters, but she's an invaluable asset to them.

Tenks

I'm almost done with the game now
@12/04
and I'm going to hold judgment until I can start up Fallout3 but currently Persona4 is game of the year. Its really not even a competition, Persona just ran away with it.

That said -- I enjoyed Persona3 more I think though :<

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this game recently, any general spoiler-free tips on stuff like which attribute to max (courage, knowledge, etc.) first, some good early game Personas to use, etc.? Don't want anything too detailed, just a couple of handy tid-bits.

totowhoa

Banned
Tenks said:
That said -- I enjoyed Persona3 more I think though :<

Haven't heard that yet... I by no means believe in fighting over something stupid like this, but I'm just curious to hear your take on why you think P3 is better, since I feel like this one improved upon most of P3's mechanics.

totowhoa

Banned
Monroeski said:
Just started this game recently, any general spoiler-free tips on stuff like which attribute to max (courage, knowledge, etc.) first, some good early game Personas to use, etc.? Don't want anything too detailed, just a couple of handy tid-bits.

I found getting courage up early was helpful (a lot of dialogue options and character interactions is based upon this), but it wasn't hard at all... you get a lot of chances. You'll need to constantly be upgrading your expression in order to continue with a couple of social links. I found diligence to be the least important.

You'll want an archangel leveled up early on in the first real dungeon if I remember correctly, although you could get by without it if you had to (I didn't have one, but my wife got one on her file, and it was quite helpful). Otherwise, there really isn't too much early on that I can remember being 100% necessary. If you're getting beat up by a boss, just go try and fuse a persona that can resist him.

Blackjack

Monroeski said:
Slime and Ukobach are REALLY good to get and level up. Not necessarily for them, but they learn two really, really excellent skills (Resist Physical and Resist Fire), and both are very low level Personas, so you can transfer them pretty much through the entire game (or until you get the null/reflect/absorb versions). Really helpful to put on a Persona to counter a weakness, but really just super helpful in general.

Vorador

Banned
Monroeski said:
Courage>Intelligence>Expression>Understanding>Diligence

In that order IMO. But you will need to have some of those stats maxed to open/continue some Social Links (namely, relationships).

Some tips....well

1º NEVER take the game lightly. Even a group of grunts can kill you or your team if you slip up. So don't take unnecessary risk and save everytime you can. This is NOT a Final Fantasy.
2º Keep around a Persona with buffs/debuffs skills, they will be handy with bosses.
3º Concentrate mainly on the Social Links of your team, they learn some skills that are very practical in battle.

Tenks

Sklorenz said:
Haven't heard that yet... I by no means believe in fighting over something stupid like this, but I'm just curious to hear your take on why you think P3 is better, since I feel like this one improved upon most of P3's mechanics.

Storyline, mostly. I feel since you can control the entire party the game is balanced around this idea. I personally enjoyed the P3 AI control more than omnipotent battle commands. I know the option is there for me to do this but I think all the battles are balanced around the idea of "Everyone will be using direct control."

I much, much preferred the midnight hour system to the afternoon/TV system. It forces you to clear to floors in 1-2 days. You lose so much by going into the TV. You lose your afternoon SLink and you lose your evening SLink/Stat segment.

The characters in P4 are all very cliche and don't seem to evolve much, mainly the females. Yukiko and Chie pretty much remain the same the entire time. The only characters I felt have evolved and matured are Yosuke and Kanji.

I like the male cast in P4 more than the male cast in P3 but I greatly prefer the female cast in P3 to their counterparts in P4. Rise is a horribly cliche characters that never has anything interesting to say, Chie is your typical tomboy and Yukiko is your typical nice girl. Ironically the only female I find interesting is
Naoto
. Probably because she's the only non-cliche of all these.

I feel like I bashed P4 enough and I think I've made it well known I love this game so I will go over some finer points I enjoy.

The refined battle system. "Trash" mobiles are harder and every battle is more edge-of-your-seat than it was in P3. In P3 you got advantage every single time and if you didn't win the fight on your advantage turns you probably are doing it wrong. Bosses are less frustrating and more difficult. In p3 the bosses seemed more cheap than they were hard, in P4 they feel more hard than cheap.

Dojima & Nanako. Easily my two favorite characters. Their interactions and script are awesome.
When Nanako died I just sat there staring at the screen similar to when the MC died in P3.

Teddie. Again such an awesome character. He is hilarious.

I play these persona games because they have an interesting battle system with an awesome storyline and simming aspect. But since you know have to grind an entire dungeon I almost grimace when I know I have to go into a dungeon for 2 hours. Granted at the end of Tartarus I wound up just doing the entire 11 floor segment in one go (though it only took maybe 45m to do this) but combined with P4's more complex system and longer dungeons I don't really look forward to having to clear the entire dungeon. I liked P3 because school life and midnight hour felt like they were split. If I was bored of simming, I'd go grind. If I was bored of grinding I'd go simming. In P4 it feels like "Ok I have to grind for 2 days then sim for 20 or so days." It feels like that seperation is lost.

I didn't think of anyone in P4's cast as cliche. Then again I loved the cast in P3 as well.
However, I'm still under the impression that overall more stuff happened in P3, but that might be because P3 refers heavily on events prior to the beginning of the game itself while P4 is more self-contained.

I have yet to get the True Ending though (I just got to the real final dungeon), so I could be proven wrong about that.

Blackjack

Tenks said:
Storyline, mostly. I feel since you can control the entire party the game is balanced around this idea. I personally enjoyed the P3 AI control more than omnipotent battle commands. I know the option is there for me to do this but I think all the battles are balanced around the idea of "Everyone will be using direct control."

I much, much preferred the midnight hour system to the afternoon/TV system. It forces you to clear to floors in 1-2 days. You lose so much by going into the TV. You lose your afternoon SLink and you lose your evening SLink/Stat segment.

The characters in P4 are all very cliche and don't seem to evolve much, mainly the females. Yukiko and Chie pretty much remain the same the entire time. The only characters I felt have evolved and matured are Yosuke and Kanji.

I like the male cast in P4 more than the male cast in P3 but I greatly prefer the female cast in P3 to their counterparts in P4. Rise is a horribly cliche characters that never has anything interesting to say, Chie is your typical tomboy and Yukiko is your typical nice girl. Ironically the only female I find interesting is
Naoto

I feel like I bashed P4 enough and I think I've made it well known I love this game so I will go over some finer points I enjoy.

The refined battle system. "Trash" mobiles are harder and every battle is more edge-of-your-seat than it was in P3. In P3 you got advantage every single time and if you didn't win the fight on your advantage turns you probably are doing it wrong. Bosses are less frustrating and more difficult. In p3 the bosses seemed more cheap than they were hard, in P4 they feel more hard than cheap.

Dojima & Nanako. Easily my two favorite characters. Their interactions and script are awesome.
When Nanako died I just sat there staring at the screen similar to when the MC died in P3.

I play these persona games because they have an interesting battle system with an awesome storyline and simming aspect. But since you know have to grind an entire dungeon I almost grimace when I know I have to go into a dungeon for 2 hours. Granted at the end of Tartarus I wound up just doing the entire 11 floor segment in one go (though it only took maybe 45m to do this) but combined with P4's more complex system and longer dungeons I don't really look forward to having to clear the entire dungeon. I liked P3 because school life and midnight hour felt like they were split. If I was bored of simming, I'd go grind. If I was bored of grinding I'd go simming. In P4 it feels like "Ok I have to grind for 2 days then sim for 20 or so days." It feels like that seperation is lost.
I honestly don't know how you can look at characters like Mitsuru or Aigis and say they aren't cliche. :lol

Which isn't to say I didn't love them (well...Mitsuru, at least), but still.

elbkhm

Monroeski said:
S-Link Advice:
1) When given the choice between developing an S-Link and building up your stats, ALWAYS choose to work on your S-Links. I never spent time raising stats unless there were no S-Links I could do instead. The only exception is around exams, when it can be worth it to build up your knowledge.

2) When developing S-Links, always try to have a persona of the same type. It makes a huge difference in how quickly you can progress through the link. It's totally worth it to buy a low-level persona out of the compendium, just for the express purpose of speeding up that S-Link.

3) Try to prioritize S-Links with party members, or ones that build stats (Sun, Strength, Temper., Devil, Tower). The others can wait.

Oh, and minor advice, not really S-Link related. On nights where you can't do anything else (because you're tired from dungeoneering, or you're supposed to watch the midnight channel), CHECK THE FRIDGE. You can't do anything else, but you can still get that courage bonus sometimes at least.

Tenks

Blackjack said:
I honestly don't know how you can look at characters like Mitsuru or Aigis and say they aren't cliche. :lol

Which isn't to say I didn't love them (well...Mitsuru, at least), but still.

After doing Mitsuru's SLink to 10 you really understood why she acted the way she did. The SLinks for Chie and Yukiko had no bearing on their personality they were just dumb.

Tenks said:
After doing Mitsuru's SLink to 10 you really understood why she acted the way she did. The SLinks for Chie and Yukiko had no bearing on their personality they were just dumb.
I actually did like the fact that with a lot of the datable s-links, you were really just hanging out. That plus the fact that the MC had a lot more personable choices, made it feel like this MC was a lot nicer than Minato. Plus, the game seems more about accepts ones faults and who you are rather than fixing the problems. So for Chie and Yukiko, since their flaws are pretty minor, they don't have too much to accept.

totowhoa

Banned
Tenks said:

Naoto

I hear you on some of that. For me, personally, the improved dialogue and (in my opinion) more fluid atmosphere did a lot for the game. While it's true that more time is eaten up due the dungeon, I felt like characters leveled up more quickly (more autos and easier to miss those "your relationship will get stronger soon" scenarios). P4's style and dialogue won it for me, along with the ability to control your characters. I guess it actually reminded me of high school, unlike the secret agent group of P3. Either way, both games were game of the year for me, consecutively (Galaxy won second place last year).

And I agree, if you max Mitsuru, she's definitely not a cliche character. One of the most interesting. The S. Links for the women in P4 were definitely a let down, even though they were still enjoyable.

totowhoa

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I actually did like the fact that with a lot of the datable s-links, you were really just hanging out. That plus the fact that the MC had a lot more personable choices, made it feel like this MC was a lot nicer than Minato. Plus, the game seems more about accepts ones faults and who you are rather than fixing the problems. So for Chie and Yukiko, since their flaws are pretty minor, they don't have too much to accept.

Agreed. Still, I'm at dungeon
now, and I can't even remember Chie's link. (But, I'm also drunk)

Blackjack

Tenks said:
Yes, you understood WHY she acted the way she did...but that doesn't make her any less of a cliche. :lol

totowhoa

Banned
elbkhm said:
S-Link Advice:
1) When given the choice between developing an S-Link and building up your stats, ALWAYS choose to work on your S-Links. I never spent time raising stats unless there were no S-Links I could do instead. The only exception is around exams, when it can be worth it to build up your knowledge.

2) When developing S-Links, always try to have a persona of the same type. It makes a huge difference in how quickly you can progress through the link. It's totally worth it to buy a low-level persona out of the compendium, just for the express purpose of speeding up that S-Link.

3) Try to prioritize S-Links with party members, or ones that build stats (Sun, Strength, Temper., Devil, Tower). The others can wait.

Oh, and minor advice, not really S-Link related. On nights where you can't do anything else (because you're tired from dungeoneering, or you're supposed to watch the midnight channel), CHECK THE FRIDGE. You can't do anything else, but you can still get that courage bonus sometimes at least.

Follow this advice and you will win. Wish I had done the same things.

Top Bottom