• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Taotie is still the creepiest persona.

EDIT: Ok...what's better to have:

- +10 to all stats
- 50% SP use and +50 DEF?

The SP Use/DEF by far, stats don't seem to have too much of an impact. It's there, but nothing compared to cheaper spells.

Prime crotch said:
Sounds like Adachi to me.
Like in FES I was a bit disapointed with the main plot.

What!?
Maybe I don't watch enough anime/movies/whatever, but the way he was just so cool about everything ("Wanna know why I became a cop? So I could carry a gun. That's it.") made him so much more interesting than "herkaderka I am a god I will kill you oh you are strong humans have potential noooooo". The best part about Izanami was finding her and the resulting revelations.

I'm pretty sure Senri has been the same since Nocturne.

I think you mighta misunderstood. This is my first MegaTen game. When I said "changes" I meant from the 2D drawing to the 3D model. And iirc, at the very least, Senri goes from just a thong to a leotard in that manner. Granted, I tried to avoid looking at it as much as possible :lol so I may be wrong.
Volcynika said:
I doubt it, because
Mara's in the game, and well...that's a penis chariot.
:lol

When I found that one, I literally said "what" :lol This game needs more
vagina
demons

KO Traveling Hobo said:
What!?
Maybe I don't watch enough anime/movies/whatever, but the way he was just so cool about everything ("Wanna know why I became a cop? So I could carry a gun. That's it.") made him so much more interesting than "herkaderka I am a god I will kill you oh you are strong humans have potential noooooo". The best part about Izanami was finding her and the resulting revelations.
He was just too phoney, no real motive besides a sudden plot twist into typical sociopath #12, on the other hand it wasn't as bad as the the Fog guy and Izanami.

Tamanon

Banned
KO Traveling Hobo said:
What!?

I think you mighta misunderstood. This is my first MegaTen game. When I said "changes" I meant from the 2D drawing to the 3D model. And iirc, at the very least, Senri goes from just a thong to a leotard in that manner. Granted, I tried to avoid looking at it as much as possible :lol so I may be wrong.

When I found that one, I literally said "what" :lol This game needs more
vagina
demons

Should play Digital Devil Saga, one of the PCs has breasts that have teeth.:lol

P90

Durante said:
Here are the requested gifs:
Yosuke's battle end animation
kb99mw.jpg

t6wcoh.jpg

Galactic Punt!
ok3m9u.jpg

I also made a summer version of my avatar but for some reason I don't like it nearly as much as the winter one :/
2v0h9wz.jpg

I hope you don't mind my using one of your Chie avatars. Thx!

P90

dragonlife29 said:
You should use the Galactic Punt one because the one you're using is his current one, and Yosuke's being used by Fuu, I think.

Ooops. How do I shrink the galactic punt gif? I kinda fail at "teh internt".

jsrv

Just beat the game with the best (?) ending, clocked 110 hours and had 2.3 million yen spare at the end. :lol

Loved it from start to finish, game takes the spot of Valkyria Chronicles as my personal game of the year. The voice work for the english version is excellent too, in many cases I thought they were better than the japanese version's especially Rise and Teddie. I still like the final bosses for P3 and the Answer more though (Their design, music and execution of the fight). But everything else that come to mind was a vast improvement. Also
when Naoto said that she would hitch a ride with the main character on the train in the end I shouted YESS!!, but then she said it was a joke. :(.
By the way, does the dialogue change
in the last scenes if you picked lover or friends in the social link paths?

I think I'll use the characters I never bothered to use in my 2nd playthrough.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just flipped through the art book and saw the spoiler that everyone was warning me about...
Teddie
, I'm glad that I had played up to that point in the game before looking at it. The Art Book is seriously cool.

Ourobolus

Banned
FUUUUCK. Didn't get to max Tower. Needed one more day.

For those trying to max Tower, apparently you waste a day right before the Lv 9 scene, and you get no points towards the S. Link. Goddammit.

Ah well, there's always the next playthrough. :D

cakeman19

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I just flipped through the art book and saw the spoiler that everyone was warning me about...
Teddie
, I'm glad that I had played up to that point in the game before looking at it. The Art Book is seriously cool.

THAT'S the spoiler everyone was warning you about? Uh...Don't look through the rest of the book.

Ourobolus said:
FUUUUCK. Didn't get to max Tower. Needed one more day.

For those trying to max Tower, apparently you waste a day right before the Lv 9 scene, and you get no points towards the S. Link. Goddammit.

Ah well, there's always the next playthrough. :D

I completely missed the Tower link. I'm in late November now and I still haven't maxed my understanding. That trait has got to be the biggest pain to level up IMO. There's so few opportunities in the game to get boosts for it that don't waste precious S-Link time. Unlike the other three there's practically no dialogue choices that will boost understanding and I don't have time to waste petting cats.

Major Spoiler here:
I actually thought the Tower link was the guy who turned out to be the killer. I kept seeing him around the job board and figured he'd wind up being the Tower character because he had a unique headshot when I spoke to him. Who does the Tower S-Link really wind up being?

Ourobolus

Banned
Big Icarus said:
I completely missed the Tower link. I'm in late November now and I still haven't maxed my understanding. That trait has got to be the biggest pain to level up IMO. There's so few opportunities in the game to get boosts for it that don't waste precious S-Link time. Unlike the other three there's practically no dialogue choices that will boost understanding and I don't have time to waste petting cats.

Major Spoiler here:
I actually thought the Tower link was the guy who turned out to be the killer. I kept seeing him around the job board and figured he'd wind up being the Tower character because he had a unique headshot when I spoke to him. Who does the Tower S-Link really wind up being?

Just some kid who needs tutored.

Big Icarus said:
Right near the end of the game, I tried taking the non-S.Link jobs for the heck of it, and it turns out, you do them at your room's table. One of them boosts understanding and you can do it at night, which is nice, because most of the books don't grant that boost.

johnsmith said:
All of the timid teacher books boost understanding.
Hmm, you're right. I think I shouldn't have stayed up 'til 6 in the morning getting the Good-not-True ending.

But he's still right about understanding being a pain to level.

MrDenny

Anyone recently order off Amazon? It says it comes with a deluxe art book while supplies last. Does that mean I'll receive one if I order right now?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Doesn't playing with the cat outside Dojima house raise understanding?

... Also what's the best way to raise Courage? Seems like I just get it randomly from story events, and sometimes from the Rainy Day challenge bowl eating thing.

teiresias

OK, so I got this game for Christmas, and it's my first Persona game. After the what felt like six hours at the start of the game of endless exposition before I got to actually go into a real dungeon I guess I'm now in the meat of the game.

Question from the newbie - how important is doing fusions? I'm nearly scared of doing them for fear of screwing something up and getting myself locked into a "have to restart the game" scenario.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Adam Prime said:

... Also what's the best way to raise Courage? Seems like I just get it randomly from story events, and sometimes from the Rainy Day challenge bowl eating thing.

The Man Series books raise Courage, Working the night shift at the Hospital does too. Also, eating mystery food in the fridge will raise Courage (good for when you're forced into sleeping, you can still get a stat boost in). Beating the Secondary bosses in the dungeons will "Greatly" increase courage too.

Ourobolus

Banned
Adam Prime said:

Eat the bad food in the fridge on certain days. It makes you go to bed, but "greatly" increases it. Also, the Devil S. Link raises it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
teiresias said:
Question from the newbie - how important is doing fusions? I'm nearly scared of doing them for fear of screwing something up and getting myself locked into a "have to restart the game" scenario.
Extremely? Fusing personas is one of the main strategies for battles. But its impossible to get yourself into a "have to restart the game" scenario since you can preview what persona your fusion will become and since you can easily buy back or just get more personas.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
teiresias said:
OK, so I got this game for Christmas, and it's my first Persona game. After the what felt like six hours at the start of the game of endless exposition before I got to actually go into a real dungeon I guess I'm now in the meat of the game.

Not an issue. Under the menu when you go into the Velvet Room go to Compendium and you have a backlog of Personas that you've obtained, that you can buy back. Be sure to update this whenever you level up Personas to update the skill set that is saved into the Compendium. So just experiment with Fusion and go back and purchase them if you want the Persona back.

Narcosis

I'm on new game+ and for people that have already beat the game:

HOLY SHIT!
The delivery van just went past me as my crew and Adachi chased down that guy who was trying to photograph Rise. I never even noticed that the first time through

Adachi was right there and knew the whole time! Bastard!

Red Scarlet

Anyone know where a bad-tasting snack is? I've bought one of everything so far in the game, but I don't have anything that the woman wants.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Anyone know where a bad-tasting snack is? I've bought one of everything so far in the game, but I don't have anything that the woman wants.

Talk to Chie next time you see her!

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, beat the normal game, and working on getting the True Ending. Thoughts and spoilers below:

Not a terrible final boss, but I didn't really have to work to beat him. There was only one time when he used that Oculus move twice in a row, the first one with Mind Charge behind it, that I thought I would bite it, but all of my guys managed to survive with 1-20 HP. Mediarahan next turn, boom, healed, back to normal.
I watched the normal ending just to see how it went, and overall, including all of the social link endings, it was pretty decent. Its only fault I can think of was that the protagonist is silent, leaving some of the emotion from the goodbye at the train station somewhat missing. All in all, pretty good, and onward to Izanami

MechaX

Narcosis said:
I'm on new game+ and for people that have already beat the game:

HOLY SHIT!
The delivery van just went past me as my crew and Adachi chased down that guy who was trying to photograph Rise. I never even noticed that the first time through

Adachi was right there and knew the whole time! Bastard!

Yeah, New Game + warrants an insane amount of touches like that. For instance, during the first Midnight Channel scene involving Yamano, you can pretty much see Adachi's arms and even a portion of his back. But of course, this meant nothing during the first playthrough since everyone was most likely trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. Shows that the story was constructed in a very organized manner as opposed to simply making up stuff as they went along during development.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Spoilers up to July

I just got Rise in my party as the "support" persona, she IS AWESOME. I just looove her voice! It's so much better listening to her rather than Teddie. She has made dungeon a hundred times better in this game! :lol

Adam Prime said:
Spoilers up to July

I just got Rise in my party as the "support" persona, she IS AWESOME. I just looove her voice! It's so much better listening to her rather than Teddie. She has made dungeon a hundred times better in this game! :lol

you should level up her s. link ASAP cuz her unlocked abilities make dungeon crawling a whole lot easier

Varna

I'm surprised. After all the praise it got around here I thought I would like it.

I had to turn the voice acting off.

It's not bad or anything... but there is something very different about the way VA is handled in P3/P4 verses, let's say Vampire Bloodlines. It just seems off.

Otherwise, I was completely wrong about this game. Battling and dungeon crawling is far more satisfying this time around which was my main concern. The setting and story are quiet fascinating and the characters are all very distinct which is a series staple I'm glad has endured (even if it is the only one).

Kind of disappointed that social links are still so linear. I thought I had heard of branching paths, but I have yet to see any indicator of that. Your character is still forced to be a certain way too much of the time. There doesn't seem to be nearly as many opportunities to raise stats either. In general it seems like the days pass by a lot faster. I'm still not sure why they decided to remove multiple physical damage types, would have added another much welcomed layer of strategy.

grandjedi6

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I didn't finish the game in time. Now I have to wait 3 months to finish Persona 4 :(

This is almost as bad as the fog setting in!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
wangman31888 said:
you should level up her s. link ASAP cuz her unlocked abilities make dungeon crawling a whole lot easier

July Spoilers Continued
yeah I plan on doing that. What is the point of her Peronsa having stats like Attk, Def, Magic if she's always going to be on support? ... You can go ahead and spoil me if she is going to join the party as a fighter at some point.

... Oh and more questions pertaining to who's in the party in Late July:

Should I add Teddie to my party and start using him? Right now I am going through the 8-bit dungeon with Teddie, Youske, and Yukiko... basically I have kicked out Chie. Does anyone recommend doing this or sticking it out with certain characters? Please refrain from spoiling future party members for me, thanks!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
grandjedi6 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I didn't finish the game in time. Now I have to wait 3 months to finish Persona 4 :(

This is almost as bad as the fog setting in!

Haha, start school back up tomorrow? I start next week, but I'm not worried about finding time to play. :D

grandjedi6

Adam Prime said:
Haha, start school back up tomorrow? I start next week, but I'm not worried about finding time to play. :D
yep. Ironically Persona 4 does not mix well with actual school studies! Well that and carrying a PS2 on a greyhound bus ride is kinda akward :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
grandjedi6 said:
yep. Ironically Persona 4 does not mix well with actual school studies! Well that and carrying a PS2 on a greyhound bus ride is kinda akward :lol

Haha that's a funny mental picture. I start student teaching next week. I plan on hitting up the PS2 everyday after school and writing lesson plans to wind down.

Top Bottom