• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon said:
Eh, the guns were only in P3, every other Persona game has been tarot cards or just Personas appearing.
Plus,
Naoto's summoning method is a nice little throwback to P3
, in my opinion.

"All yours!"

Tenks

I just can't believe people beat this game so quickly. It feels like it has been consuming all my free time and I still have a month left. Not sure how many hours I've clocked in, probably 45-50.

Tenks said:
I just can't believe people beat this game so quickly. It feels like it has been consuming all my free time and I still have a month left. Not sure how many hours I've clocked in, probably 45-50.
I'm just over 100 hours and finished the game, except for
the bonus dungeon.

P3 I burned out often, so I'd go long stretches without playing. But P4 is just so dang good, it had me staying up late every night to see what happens next in the story.

Tenks

Yeah maybe I remember tearing through P3 so much quicker because I was in college when I played it. Now that I'm in the real world free time is more scarce.

I think I finished p3 with 84 hours logged and loved every second. Completed the bonus dungeon and got my Lucifer to 99. At least I think Lucifer was the one with Victory Cry in the Luci/Satan combo.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ilikeme said:
Will Kanji date a guy?
Why does everyone thinks Kanji is gay?
He's obviously in love with Naoto and literally begs her to enter the Miss Yasogami contest. And he hyper-ventilate at the thought. And then he's: Whoa..., when she enters the stage

Pedobear said:
He's obviously in love with Naoto and literally begs her to enter the Miss Yasogami contest. And he hyper-ventilate at the thought. And then he's: Whoa..., when she enters the stage

I think he just looked at screencaps of the game (probably his dungeon) and asked the question. No harm in that. His last question implies that he doesn't have the game yet.

A bit off topic:

KibblesBits. I love your avatar. Milo Ventimiglia is my god.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pedobear said:

Spoiler screencap if people are worried about it

Kanji admitting he's a Bear: http://i44.tinypic.com/5luiyd.jpg

Taken by WhiteMan

Kanji is obviously bisexual, remember, he was into Naoto before he knew she was a girl.

Guled said:
good review, but it doesn't look like they played past august
Can't say I'd blame 'em...this game is massive. Honestly, I'm surprised they even maxed any S. Links. I definitely saw Suzuku Gongen in there a few times. Nevertheless, great review.

Guled

RocketDarkness said:
Can't say I'd blame 'em...this game is massive. Honestly, I'm surprised they even maxed any S. Links. I definitely saw Suzuku Gongen in there a few times. Nevertheless, great review.
I know, but other places had a review up before the game came out and they finished the full game. Anyways GT really need to watch out for spoilers in videos, someones death was ruined for me in MGS4 because of them and I see somethings that would be considered spoilers in the video

noi5e

BlueTsunami said:
Spoiler screencap if people are worried about it

Kanji admitting he's a Bear: http://i44.tinypic.com/5luiyd.jpg

Taken by WhiteMan

Kanji is obviously bisexual, remember, he was into Naoto before he knew she was a girl.

I think he's bi too, but that moment seems pretty ambiguous doesn't it? He could just be referring to the "sissy-ish" (for lack of a better word) aspects of his personality.

It's interesting to think about his orientation as completely undecideable. I think that's why the scenario writer did such a good job with Kanji & Naoto: both of them and their relationship with each other are such good critiques of gender and sexuality.

My copy arrived this morning and I've sat down excited to play it tonight. I was going to recommend this to friends, but I think I'll strongly advise they play Persona 3 FES instead, simply because I cannot believe the abysmal pacing of the game so far.

Several days in of nothing but cutscenes and tiny controllable segments is just a remarkably poor way to start the game. I know the lovely Persona 3 gameplay will find its way to me again soon, but I'm starting the game off with a general feeling of being very unimpressed.

fdu0pg.gif

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
BlueTsunami said:
That's because she looks like a girl! Like he says later, he got confused by Naoto since he was attracted to her when he thought she was a he. Even if he thought Naoto was male, he was attracted to her feminity first and foremost.

When he accepts his other self and it becomes his Persona, he says it himself. This has nothing to do with guys or girls, he just was afraid of rejection.

If that was a lie, it wouldn't have become a Persona.

Volcynika

grandjedi6 said:
So how does this review rate on the spoiler-o-meter?

And 9.3, nice

Not too high, but you do see the first three main bosses (not including
Shadow Yosuke
), and it does show a victim or two relating to those sections. Outside of that, nothing that stood out. There were some special scenes, but it's hard to even guess the context without playing through that part.

Wait for someone else to verify what I said though, just to be safe!

Also, SecretBonusPoint: P3 had just as long, if not close, an opening. Not much of a difference.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
grandjedi6 said:
So how does this review rate on the spoiler-o-meter?

And 9.3, nice

Aside from what Volcynika said, the only other thing I can think of would be showing which certain playable characters that you might not first think of. Nothing too big at all, at least, that's given context.

Finally cleared Dungeon 4. Man, that boss was annoying. I got him down to a sliver of his health, and then he auto-deathed me. Beat him on the repeat, though.

Post-dungeon cutscene is great.
I love all the interactions. Rise's gloating was great, along with Yukiko's 'I'll crush you'. Teddie and Nanako's scene together was really adorable, too.

"It tastes really...um...boneless"

"Wow! This tastes awful! You have to try this, Yosuke." That delivery was excellent

Red Blaster said:
I'll echo the sentiment that it's grade-A horseshit that it's game over if the MC dies in light of the fact that we can now control everyone else in the party. I lost hours of progress in Rise's dungeon (including getting past the midboss) because some asshole champion knight got lucky and scored a crit on me that did 400 damage. Twice as aggravating because you can no longer warp back to the bottom and it's harder to get player advantages now.

This is why many more Personas have and can pass Traesto through fusions. I had a Persona with Traesto since the third dungeon, and since you can resume a dungeon at the floor you reached, I would Traesto back if i found something cool in a chest, or just before the midboss. After I ran into my first Persona with Traesto I've been passing it down with fusions ever since to make sure I could always leave a dungeon even if I was out of Goho-M's.

Ourobolus

Banned
True Ending Get!

Wow. I remember beating Persona 3 and thinking that nothing could top the experience I just had. Well, I was apparently wrong. That was a phenomenal game. The ending was actually pretty good for an RPG (meaning it wasn't two seconds of someone waving at you and then "Thank You for Playing!"), and the final final boss, while not spectacular, was actually somewhat nerve-wracking (I still won on my first try, though).

Kudos, Atlus. Now, bring P5 and SMT4 to a next-gen system so we can get awesome gameplay, story, and then some sweet graphics!

If anyone could make me an avatar of the MC summoning Izanagi-no-Okami and pointing at Izanagi, I'd love you forever.

Ourobolus said:
True Ending Get!

Wow. I remember beating Persona 3 and thinking that nothing could top the experience I just had. Well, I was apparently wrong. That was a phenomenal game. The ending was actually pretty good for an RPG (meaning it wasn't two seconds of someone waving at you and then "Thank You for Playing!"), and the final final boss, while not spectacular, was actually somewhat nerve-wracking (I still won on my first try, though).

Kudos, Atlus. Now, bring P5 and SMT4 to a next-gen system so we can get awesome gameplay, story, and then some sweet graphics!

If anyone could make me an avatar of the MC summoning Izanagi-no-Okami and pointing at Izanagi, I'd love you forever.

just reached the last save tonight. was gonna try to hang around & build some ultimate personas, but not sure i'm ready for more grinding (at 84 right now)...

Fëanor

What levels are you guys in Nov? I'm level 55 and I think I'm going to grind a few hours and go over lvl 60 before facing any bosses.

Red Scarlet

Unknown Soldier said:
This is why many more Personas have and can pass Traesto through fusions. I had a Persona with Traesto since the third dungeon, and since you can resume a dungeon at the floor you reached, I would Traesto back if i found something cool in a chest, or just before the midboss. After I ran into my first Persona with Traesto I've been passing it down with fusions ever since to make sure I could always leave a dungeon even if I was out of Goho-M's.

Plus, the Goho-M things only cost like 900 or 950..I'd imagine by the 4th dungeon, you gain more than that in one battle. It should not be a big deal at all by then. I had Traesto before the 2nd dungeon I think, or early on in it.

The fox seems a bit better pretty quick..my S-Link with him is only level 3 and it costs 50 yen per SP..but I doubt I'll ever have a need for his services. <3 Sarasvati.

darkvir

Red Scarlet said:
Plus, the Goho-M things only cost like 900 or 950..I'd imagine by the 4th dungeon, you gain more than that in one battle. It should not be a big deal at all by then. I had Traesto before the 2nd dungeon I think, or early on in it.

The fox seems a bit better pretty quick..my S-Link with him is only level 3 and it costs 50 yen per SP..but I doubt I'll ever have a need for his services. <3 Sarasvati.

I find myself stocking up on Goho-M's during any rainy day to get it at a discounted 680 per hit.

Red Scarlet said:

i was getting snuff souls from other dungeons when i ran out of sp for a while. then i just decided to abuse the hermit slink and now it's at lvl 9 and i'm just hitting september in game.

Tamanon

Banned
Once you get Hermit up to 7 or so, you'll make money going through the dungeon in one day even before selling your loot.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Red Scarlet said:

I love the fox. Due to his services I find myself clearing a dungeon in one trip or two.

Red Scarlet said:

Wait till you start getting some higher level spells, and start running into packs of enemies that need to be de-buffed. I'm almost finished with my game now, and I have yet to find a Persona with invigorate 3.

I just died in
Yukiko's castle on the horse rider boss
. Main guy died (wasn't even aware that it was game over at that point) but it started me aaallll the way back at the main area with the TVs. I didn't see a single save point in the dungeon, did I miss it, or can you save all the time?

I'd like some advice besides the obvious "Don't die" before I tackle this again because that's like 30mins down the drain. Should I just grind (do enemies even respawn?) I'm just worried about running out of time before the fog comes because the next day is supposed to be foggy.

zoku88

You can't save in dungeons (except for the floor of te final boss of the dungeon.)

If you think you're about to hit a mid boss, return to the base floor witha Goho M..

Tamanon

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
I just died in
. Main guy died (wasn't even aware that it was game over at that point) but it started me aaallll the way back at the main area with the TVs. I didn't see a single save point in the dungeon, did I miss it, or can you save all the time?

I'd like some advice besides the obvious "Don't die" before I tackle this again because that's like 30mins down the drain. Should I just grind (do enemies even respawn?) I'm just worried about running out of time before the fog comes because the next day is supposed to be foggy.

You can only save at the entranceway and the top level. You should have a Goho-M item that allows you to go back to the entranceway and save, then you can buy more of them later on. When you use it to go back, you have the option of coming back to the highest floor you've explored.

And yes enemies definitely respawn.

Phaethon0017 said:
I just died in

Each dungeon has just one save point, right before the final boss. You can exit the Dungeon by using a Goho-M, and go back to the main area to save, however. If you do that, you can re-enter at the floor you were last at.

So you can save, and then go back and try again.

Xanathus

Big Icarus said:
Wait till you start getting some higher level spells, and start running into packs of enemies that need to be de-buffed. I'm almost finished with my game now, and I have yet to find a Persona with invigorate 3.
For most of the mid-game I saved tons of cash by only using my MC to cast spells and regenerated SP via Invigorate 2 (which comes from Saravasti). Getting SP essentially just meant going back to the first dungeon, fighting the weakest enemy solo and spamming guard while watching something else on TV.

BlueTsunami

Rules of thumb

1) Stock up on Goho-m (I thinks thats how their spelled) and Vanish orbs (the things that help you escape from normal battles)

2) Save before the Midboss by using above item to returning to the hub

3) Don't waste more than two days on a dungeon if you can. By using Fox and/or conserving SP and running away from enemies just to make it to the final floor, you should be able to clear out a dungeon in 2 days, easy. The first day is spent getting to the top, the second day is meant to replenish your SP so you can tackle the Boss. Once you have Fox, you should be able to do all this in one day.

4) Get familiar with fusing Persona's. If your stuck on a Boss and your current (Main Character) personas aren't cutting it, it usually means you need to fuse a better one that A) Is just plain higher level and B) has abilities that take into account what the Mid/Main Boss throws at you.

firex

almost every mid-boss in a dungeon will prompt you before opening the door to their area, so it's pretty easy to know when you've hit the mid-boss.

Xanathus said:
For most of the mid-game I saved tons of cash by only using my MC to cast spells and regenerated SP via Invigorate 2 (which comes from Saravasti). Getting SP essentially just meant going back to the first dungeon, fighting the weakest enemy solo and spamming guard while watching something else on TV.

Yeah, I did this too. This is also helpful for getting those stupid quest items from previous dungeons, and collecting every persona that you can get from shuffle times.

Red Scarlet

darkvir said:
I find myself stocking up on Goho-M's during any rainy day to get it at a discounted 680 per hit.

I forgot about the rainy day bargain, so when I got out of the 2nd dungeon, I went and spent about 20,000 on stuff at the item shop. :lol

Sarasvati is my main, and has all 4 elementals, so I just use her to attack pretty much, so I conserve the other people's MP, and can get my own back pretty easily. These are my two mains right now (2nd dungeon), which I've had since dungeon 1 and dungeon 2:

p4017.png

I doubt Lamia will last, but I should be alright with Sarasvati for awhile. I do remember making a few upgrades of all 4 elemental mains in P3 (Lilim->Legion->Alice), but the 2 nulls on Sarasvati and mp restoration should last me longer than Lilim and Legion did. I hope, at least.

One kinda neat thing about going through with 1 or 2 people is that the other people have popped up and given me free items, but those items have been pretty crappy (2 ointments, 1 The Natural) so far. I get all the soda references so far except what The Natural is supposed to be parodying.

Oh, I just noticed this. But whats with Clu Chulain and Tam Lin being exactly the same character except for a pallet swap? That seemed redundant.

ramus

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
I forgot about the rainy day bargain, so when I got out of the 2nd dungeon, I went and spent about 20,000 on stuff at the item shop. :lol

Sarasvati is my main, and has all 4 elementals, so I just use her to attack pretty much, so I conserve the other people's MP, and can get my own back pretty easily. These are my two mains right now (2nd dungeon), which I've had since dungeon 1 and dungeon 2:

img

I doubt Lamia will last, but I should be alright with Sarasvati for awhile. I do remember making a few upgrades of all 4 elemental mains in P3 (Lilim->Legion->Alice), but the 2 nulls on Sarasvati and mp restoration should last me longer than Lilim and Legion did. I hope, at least.

One kinda neat thing about going through with 1 or 2 people is that the other people have popped up and given me free items, but those items have been pretty crappy (2 ointments, 1 The Natural) so far. I get all the soda references so far except what The Natural is supposed to be parodying.
Sarasvasti was damn useful for me, I used her up to 40 with all ma skills until I replaced her with a 4-element ma-la succubus with cool breeze which I used until I got Trumpeter and Yoshitsune. Hardly needed to use any other personas.

Red Scarlet

Pop wants a 4-elemental Sara, and I forgot the combo. I did find one though, maybe it was it, and it works and is very easy to do. :D

p4018.png

I don't remember what Cool Breeze is. :/

Xanathus

Cool Breeze Restore 8% of HP and SP after battle.

It's not useful if you have Invigorate 2 since 8% is nothing when you have low max HP/SP.

Xanathus said:
Cool Breeze Restore 8% of HP and SP after battle.

It's not useful if you have Invigorate 2 since 8% is nothing when you have low max HP/SP.
In the beginning, I suppose. But 8% is great, especially since you can quickly regenerate by going to an older dungeon and beating a few enemies with Rush very quickly.

BlueTsunami

Cool Breeze is awesome for soloing. I often go to the most current dungeon I've completed and grind a bit with the Main Character. Cool Breeze allows you to cast a mid level spell that strikes everyone and that SP gets replenished at the end of the round (assuming you don't use anymore SP). If you've dropped a lot of SP then try to focus on physical attacks and your SP will replenish after a few battles.

This is the strategy I used in
Naoto's Dungeon
and I'm at level 64 right now.

Xanathus

RocketDarkness said:
In the beginning, I suppose. But 8% is great, especially since you can quickly regenerate by going to an older dungeon and beating a few enemies with Rush very quickly.
I should have posted "not as useful compared to Invigorate 2". I preferred my earlier mentioned method of regaining SP via guarding with Invigorate 2 instead of rushing enemies since you don't have to focus on hunting enemies my way.

Xanathus said:
I should have posted "not as useful compared to Invigorate 2". I preferred my earlier mentioned method of regaining SP via guarding with Invigorate 2 instead of rushing enemies since you don't have to focus on hunting enemies my way.
I suppose. Cool Breeze has the downside of requiring a new Shadow every time you want to use it, but doesn't require you to go out of your way to recover a significant amount of SP, either. With Invigorate, you're gaining at a steady pace, but most battles it won't get you any more than 10 or so SP, which is still way less than 8%, especially later in the game. It's amazing for dungeon crawling, as BlueTsunami said, since you can often cast a mid-level spell to knock down/severely weaken your enemies, and still gain back like 10 SP.

They're both very useful abilities, but Invigorates, I've found, are mainly useful for boss battles and overall aren't as important to me as they were in P3. Though that could just be my combat strategy changing.

Top Bottom