• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Blackjack

elbkhm said:
S-Link Advice:
1) When given the choice between developing an S-Link and building up your stats, ALWAYS choose to work on your S-Links. I never spent time raising stats unless there were no S-Links I could do instead. The only exception is around exams, when it can be worth it to build up your knowledge.

2) When developing S-Links, always try to have a persona of the same type. It makes a huge difference in how quickly you can progress through the link. It's totally worth it to buy a low-level persona out of the compendium, just for the express purpose of speeding up that S-Link.

3) Try to prioritize S-Links with party members, or ones that build stats (Sun, Strength, Temper., Devil, Tower). The others can wait.

Oh, and minor advice, not really S-Link related. On nights where you can't do anything else (because you're tired from dungeoneering, or you're supposed to watch the midnight channel), CHECK THE FRIDGE. You can't do anything else, but you can still get that courage bonus sometimes at least.
For #3, I would also suggest prioritizing Hermit. You can do that one on rainy days and the actual things you do to get it to where it can rank up (trying to be vague, not really sure if that's a spoiler or not) don't take any time so you can still work on other links.

totowhoa

Banned
Blackjack said:
For #3, I would also suggest prioritizing Hermit. You can do that one on rainy days and the actual things you do to get it to where it can rank up (trying to be vague, not really sure if that's a spoiler or not) don't take any time so you can still work on other links.

True that. Always finish your hermit link on a rainy day and always, always, always progress the Hermit S. Link mission after school before you go and speak with another S. Link. I kind of fucked up early on by not paying close attention to the Hermit. I did not realize they were all going to take a couple of days.

Tenks

Sklorenz said:
Agreed. Still, I'm at dungeon
now, and I can't even remember Chie's link. (But, I'm also drunk)

You train, you stop a group from bullying a kid. You learn nothing about Chie, her past or why she is such a tomboy. You learn nothing of her outside of she likes Kung-Fu movies which she reminds you of at least once every 4 gameplay hours.

Tenks said:
You train, you stop a group from bullying a kid. You learn nothing about Chie, her past or why she is such a tomboy. You learn nothing of her outside of she likes Kung-Fu movies which she reminds you of at least once every 4 gameplay hours.
You say tomboy like it's some kind of character flaw. That's not what she has to accept. What she has to deal with is her inability to accept help from others. What about that guy from her childhood that she obviously liked but only liked Yukiko? What about meeting Yukiko and getting the dog? What about her feelings about being the protector, hence the feeling she has to be strong on her own? I don't mean to nag, but I do feel like you are brushing these off lightly. Yes, they aren't as powerful as Kanji's or Naoto's, but I don't believe that they need to be.

Baker

Banned
Persona 3 was my '07 GOTY, so I was very excited when I got 4 for xmas.

I was loving it for the first 4-5 hours until the protagonist fell in battle. WTF is that shit!?!? That is just the dumbest RPG mechanic I've ever seen in my life. If it was in 3, my main character must have never died.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Baker said:
Persona 3 was my '07 GOTY, so I was very excited when I got 4 for xmas.

I was loving it for the first 4-5 hours until the protagonist fell in battle. WTF is that shit!?!? That is just the dumbest RPG mechanic I've ever seen in my life. If it was in 3, my main character must have never died.
You talking about main character death = game over? Yeah that was in Persona 3 too. But as you upgrade your teammates social links they will start taking mortal blows for you, which is quite helpful. Still I'm unsure why (or how) you've never encountered this in 3.

Tenks

crowphoenix said:
You say tomboy like it's some kind of character flaw. That's not what she has to accept. What she has to deal with is her inability to accept help from others. What about that guy from her childhood that she obviously liked but only liked Yukiko? What about meeting Yukiko and getting the dog? What about her feelings about being the protector, hence the feeling she has to be strong on her own? I don't mean to nag, but I do feel like you are brushing these off lightly. Yes, they aren't as powerful as Kanji's or Naoto's, but I don't believe that they need to be.

These were things that were apparent right after you saved Yukiko though. I'm fully aware the whole purpose of P4 and message is "accept you for you" but I'd like to hear reasons why these various people are like how they are. I'm not saying being a tomboy is a character flaw but it is very, very well done with Naoto.

It could have been so much better. Like she could have developed this desire to be a protector because her father beat her mom and she felt helpless at the time to do anything. Maybe because as a child her sister/brother was stricken with a terminal illness and she felt helpless to protect them. ANYTHING not just "oh because thats how I am."

Baker

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You talking about main character death = game over? Yeah that was in Persona 3 too. But as you upgrade your teammates social links they will start taking mortal blows for you, which is quite helpful. Still I'm unsure why (or how) you've never encountered this in 3.

Got me. I honestly cannot remember it ever happening in 3 unless I just blocked it out of my mind in the last year. And yeah, I have the mortal blow perk, but it was an AoE that did me in.

Volcynika

Tenks said:
These were things that were apparent right after you saved Yukiko though. I'm fully aware the whole purpose of P4 and message is "accept you for you" but I'd like to hear reasons why these various people are like how they are. I'm not saying being a tomboy is a character flaw but it is very, very well done with Naoto.

It could have been so much better. Like she could have developed this desire to be a protector because her father beat her mom and she felt helpless at the time to do anything. Maybe because as a child her sister/brother was stricken with a terminal illness and she felt helpless to protect them. ANYTHING not just "oh because thats how I am."

I'm not sure how that would exactly make it better, but at the same time, your examples are incredibly depressing.

This is my first Persona game and I've only been playing it for a little over an hour and I think this is the best JRPG I've played in a long time. I like the setting a lot, most JRPGs I've played are very fantasy based. So far the modern setting is very refreshing. The characters' voice acting is really spot on too. Haven't gotten too deep into the combat but if as much care was taken with its development as everything else seems to be it can't fail.

Tenks

Volcynika said:
I'm not sure how that would exactly make it better, but at the same time, your examples are incredibly depressing.

Would you remember it at least if that happened? Currently Chie's storyline is very forgettable. So far Devil and Death have been my favorites. I thought Rise's was pretty good too with her internal struggle of living in the spotlight versus a 'normal' life even if I hate her dialog in the main storyline.

Volcynika

Tenks said:
Would you remember it at least if that happened? Currently Chie's storyline is very forgettable. So far Devil and Death have been my favorites. I thought Rise's was pretty good too with her internal struggle of living in the spotlight versus a 'normal' life even if I hate her dialog in the main storyline.

Maybe so, but remembering something doesn't make it 'good.' And people don't need to have some huge situation to mold who they are anyways. Sometimes it can just be the little things. Not every link had to be deep with sort of complicated history. It can just be about the true nature of a person.

Blackjack

Tenks said:

Crushing angst = development, now?

Tenks said:
But, I do remember it. It wasn't exactly explicit, but I do remember it. And it wasn't as if all the others were terribly traumatic.
Heck, the worst thing that happened to Kanji was that he'd been laughed at. I mean, I sure as hell know what that feels like.

In a lot of ways, I don't feel like deep character traumas would add much to the story. But, maybe that is just me.

Tenks said:
What would that have anything to do with Chie? She's a cheerful girl who has a inferiority complex, you don't have to be a a traumatized kid to have one. You sound like Stan Lee on a brainstorm meeting, "we need a fresh character, how about giving him a bad leg? Or make him blind!"

I'm only up to July in P4, but I prefer the more realistic cast of P4. P3 started off fine but eventually got lame once
you discover it's a corporation behind everything and Yukari and Mitsuru are related to the scientists who crated the dark hour or some such nonsense. That's the stuff I'd expect in Final Fantasy

Mitsuru was also the only great S-Link out of the main cast too.

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
But, I do remember it. It wasn't exactly explicit, but I do remember it. And it wasn't as if all the others were terribly traumatic.
Heck, the worst thing that happened to Kanji was that he'd been laughed at. I mean, I sure as hell know what that feels like.

In a lot of ways, I don't feel like deep character traumas would add much to the story. But, maybe that is just me.
Well, being laughed at and
thinking his father died disapproving of him and his hobbies

totowhoa

Banned
Well, fuck. SMT'd like a bitch.
Izanami poisoned the MC then did the Yomi move that kills anybody with a status ailment. Fuck :( Her HP was down to 1/5 left or so :(

Crystalkoen

Dojima S. Link question:
Do the above spoilers mean that the Heirophant link cannot be completed after the Justice link is over, or do the last stages of Heirophant change to match the ending of Justice? I've been rushing on Justice since I'd read the spoiler above about Nanako "not being there" later, but at the rate it's going, I may wish to hold back on that one for a bit.

Up to November 2nd or so now, loved the beauty pageant. Looks like I'm not going to be getting a number of maxed links this playthrough, not enough time for stuff like Tower at this point... and I hate that I'm contemplating a second playthrough for completion's sake.

grandjedi6 said:

easy mode gives you 10 continues if you die. he may have gotten k/o'd in battle and not even realized it.

ilikeme

A few questions:

Will Kanji date a guy?
Can I date a guy?
Is this game a correct example of the way homosexuality is viewed and treated in Japan?

Great game so far. I seem to be playing for Social Links mostly though. Those really come in handy for real-life confrontations. :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ilikeme said:
A few questions:

Will Kanji date a guy?
Can I date a guy?
Is this game a correct example of the way homosexuality is viewed and treated in Japan?

Great game so far. I seem to be playing for Social Links mostly though. Those really come in handy for real-life confrontations. :D

I've seen a screencap of the results of pursuing Kanji and you do "get" with him.

Blackjack

ilikeme said:
A few questions:

Will Kanji date a guy?
Can I date a guy?

No, no, don't know.

Crystalkoen

ilikeme said:
A few questions:

Will Kanji date a guy?
Can I date a guy?

Going out on a limb here...
No.
No.
No clue.

There's a scene pretty late in the game where you have the option of roleplaying as a girl in an event... it really creeps the other guys out, including Kanji.

EDIT: Okay, I cracked up laughing again seeing BlueTsunami's avatar. Quite fitting for the current conversation.

TommyT

I have a pretty simple question:

Is there any reason I should play P3: FES before playing P4? I have P3 in my backlog, and want to play it (hopefully I will soon), just didn't know if I should hold off on P4 until I have played P3.

I'll echo the sentiment that it's grade-A horseshit that it's game over if the MC dies in light of the fact that we can now control everyone else in the party. I lost hours of progress in Rise's dungeon (including getting past the midboss) because some asshole champion knight got lucky and scored a crit on me that did 400 damage. Twice as aggravating because you can no longer warp back to the bottom and it's harder to get player advantages now.

Tenks

You can just buy those things to warp down or use whatever the hell skill it is to do it. Not really that big an issue its 100% the users fault if you get SMT'd. You know the rules and chose to take a chance knowing you can easily get one-shot in the game by not saving.

Red Blaster said:
I'll echo the sentiment that it's grade A horseshit that it's game over if the MC dies in light to the fact that we can now control everyone else in the party. I lost hours of progress in Rise's dungeon (including getting past the midboss) because some asshole champion knight got lucky and scored a crit on me that did 400 damage. Twice as aggravating because he can't warp back to the bottom anymore.

Ever pick up a Goho-M?

I am fine with it being game over if the mc dies.
I think of my party members as arms and legs sometimes and the MC as the brain. If the brain shuts down it is game over.

Btw I play with the AI on and some of the choices it makes are... interesting. Not P3 interesting, but interesting in its own right.

Tenks

KibblesBits said:
Ever pick up a Goho-M?

I am fine with it being game over if the mc dies.
I think of my party members as arms and legs sometimes and the MC as the brain. If the brain shuts down it is game over.

Btw I play with the AI on and some of the choices it makes are... interesting. Not P3 interesting, but interesting in its own right.

It may be an interesting mechanic in P5 if that if the MC dies you no longer are allowed to directly control but the AI will resume the rest of the battle. If they win, great then they can revive you. If you lose, well then its time throw your controller across the room.

Tenks said:
It may be an interesting mechanic in P5 if that if the MC dies you no longer are allowed to directly control but the AI will resume the rest of the battle. If they win, great then they can revive you. If you lose, well then its time throw your controller across the room.
I can just imagine the frustration in a boss battle.

zoku88

Making it gameover if the MC dies is just a way to encourage safer dungeon crawling and personal connection to your own survival. At least, that's the way I see it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tenks said:
Sitting through a battle without the ability to do anything only to lose several minutes later anyway would be the most annoying thing ever.

Baker

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Twice as aggravating because you can no longer warp back to the bottom and it's harder to get player advantages now.

Speaking of:

Last I quit playing, I was in the first dungeon where you have full control (second time you're in Kikiko Land). Do the dungeons still have warp points, or do you have to do the whole thing in one fell swoop? It doesn't really matter to me either way, I was just curious since there's the whole time limit factor to worry about.

Red Scarlet

There's a save point at the end of the dungeon that you can warp out of. You can also use a "Goho-M" to warp out at any time (Teddie gives you one right away, and you can buy them for I think 900 at the item shop), or by casting the Traesto spell. Whenever you warp out, you are given the choice to start the dungeon on 1F or the highest floor you have previously gotten to. So really, once you have the Traesto spell, you could get to a new floor, warp out and save, then come back to the floor you were just on.

That's how the first two dungeons are, at least. There's at least one more way to get out of the dungeon, as well, via an Arcana Chance card.

Tenks

Baker said:
Speaking of:

Last I quit playing, I was in the first dungeon where you have full control (second time you're in Kikiko Land). Do the dungeons still have warp points, or do you have to do the whole thing in one fell swoop? It doesn't really matter to me either way, I was just curious since there's the whole time limit factor to worry about.

Only on the top floor of the dungeon and yes you're better served to do it in one fell swoop which is one of my gripes with the game.

Tenks said:

P3 was last year, dude.

P3 = Terribly depressed, tormented characters BROUGHT TOGETHER BY FATE TO SAVE THE WORLD
P4 = Let the sun shine in~

I love P4's characters. I still recall almost everything that happened with my teammate's S. Links, and those were some of my first priorities.

EDIT: Also, using a Goho-M gives you a re-entry point on the floor you were at when you used the item. So much better than P3's system.

Tenks

I guess I just prefer the darker story of P3 to P4's. Jeeze I bring up a few gripes about the game that I prefaced by saying is GOTY'08 and you people jump on me like I'm blindly saying the game is a shithole.

It's SMT. Its supposed to be dark, its supposed to challenge religion and mock life&death.

Tenks said:
I guess I just prefer the darker story of P3 to P4's. Jeeze I bring up a few gripes about the game that I prefaced by saying is GOTY'08 and you people jump on me like I'm blindly saying the game is a shithole.

It's SMT. Its supposed to be dark, its supposed to challenge religion and mock life&death.
I wasn't jumping on you, just pointing it out. Not to say that P3's atmosphere is bad, but it definitely felt a fair bit more cliche in a lot of ways. I guess 4 just resonates better with me.

PS: Goho-M > P3 Warp Device

Baker

Banned
Tenks said:

I love the game so far (except for that MC death crap), but I will say my 2-3 hour initial smile did diminish a little bit when he pulled out a frickin' card instead of shooting himself in the head.

I promise to get back into the game tonight so I stop being such a sourpuss.

Tenks

RocketDarkness said:
I wasn't jumping on you, just pointing it out. Not to say that P3's atmosphere is bad, but it definitely felt a fair bit more cliche in a lot of ways. I guess 4 just resonates better with me.

PS: Goho-M > P3 Warp Device

Pretty much everything inside of the dungeons is better in P4.

More varied art types
Better dungeon layout
More difficult battles
Normal/gold chest distro
More difficult Advantage!! compared to P3

I don't really think anyone could say once inside the TV that everything is better than Tartarus. How you get there is what I argue!

Except why the hell doesn't it save my party. I hate having to recruit my standard 3 party everytime I enter the TV :<

I love the game so far (except for that MC death crap), but I will say my 2-3 hour initial smile did diminish a little bit when he pulled out a frickin' card instead of shooting himself in the head.

I promise to get back into the game tonight so I stop being such a sourpuss.

Yeah I miss the suicide animations to summon personas that was in P3.
It really precursored the end of the game as well -- he really did have to kill himself to save the world which is what he was doing the entire time
. I think that the "main" storyline is pretty good in P4. The start of the game had a very good story and the end of the game is shaping up to be awe inspiring. Seriously December is such an awesome month.

Paracelsus

I just am glad characters and plot are interesting, otherwise I would have stopped. This P3-like routine already bored me to goddamn death.

Btw, I am a few days after
saving Yukiko
, so I hope for the best.

Top Bottom