• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Maybe I'm being picky, but how is Teddie
so tall outside his costume
? And he seems quite shorter on the few 2D animation scenes.

Red Blaster said:
Just noticed on gamerankings that Persona 4 is the highest ranked RPG on the PS2 and is number 10 amongst all RPGs. Good show Atlus.
This is just me bitching but I still say that Nocturne should have had that honor.

noi5e said:
Also, I only maxed out one non-team S-Link which made the ending kinda funny.
Here are all my best friends wishing me luck from beyond the void, and then all of a sudden there's this random hot nurse. WTF :lol

that is pretty funny :) ...

Spoiler, prime crotch.

Also got the true ending today, definitely thought it was worth it. I'm planning on starting up a new cycle because I did really bad with the S-links first time around (never even started Death or Tower). The carried over stats and the amount of personas I can hold should definitely help out a lot.

Vorador

Banned
Just finished the True Ending path. A lot better than the Normal Ending.

I will hold on for now the second cycle since my backlog is piling up :p

PS:

crowphoenix said:
I was level 80 when I fought
Adachi and that giant eye, so I really doubt the final dungeon will be all that hard for me when ever it is that I actually get to play it.

Is not really hard, but more like time and SP consuming, i had to go back every few floors to refill my SP. Once you have
Relaxing Wave
i finished the rest of the dungeon in one go.

Tenks

Prime crotch said:
This is just me bitching but I still say that Nocturne should have had that honor.

I'm sure most SMT purist would echo this statement but Persona4 is significantly more accessible than SMT: Nocturne or even the Digital Devils. Nocturne and DDS games get very frustrating at times where P4 manages to find a pretty happy medium between difficult and "throw your controller across the room" difficult. Not to mention I hate demon conversations, fuckers always steal my macca.

P3 was way too easy, though.

FredFish

SpeedySwaf said:
Spoiler, prime crotch.

Also got the true ending today, definitely thought it was worth it. I'm planning on starting up a new cycle because I did really bad with the S-links first time around (never even started Death or Tower). The carried over stats and the amount of personas I can hold should definitely help out a lot.

Heh I didn't touch Tower on my first playthrough either.
"Could you stay a little longer..." coming from Shu when you get the same text from the female romances was a little creepy

Tamanon

Banned
"Do you like bananas?"
If Yes - So do I! Let's be friends or I don't, they make my gums hurt, die!
If No - Neither do I! or Well I do, so suck it!
If Bananas - Give me three things before I ask you another more obtuse opinion.

Wilsongt

Early December Spoilers:

Holy shit... I shed a few tears for Nanako. Such a touching and awesome moment. ;.; But, luckily, she's okay!

Also, screw Heirophant. I couldn't max it out. It ended up at Rank 9.

Tamanon

Banned
Wilsongt said:
Early December Spoilers:

Holy shit... I shed a few tears for Nanako. Such a touching and awesome moment. ;.; But, luckily, she's okay!

Also, screw Heirophant. I couldn't max it out. It ended up at Rank 9.

Yah, those were some really great scenes. And you missed a great ending to Heirophant, probably my favorite S-link ending.

Tamanon said:
Yah, those were some really great scenes. And you missed a great ending to Heirophant, probably my favorite S-link ending.
Yeah, Hierophant was beautiful. But hey, more incentive to start over as soon as possible.

EDIT: Anyone mind refreshing my memory on exactly what the shadows/teammate's shadows were? I remember enough of it, but I'd like a more concise definition, or in-game script of it, if that's floatin' about already.

Something about the ego of people, blah blah blah.

Kevtones

In late October and I still haven't started two of the S-Links. I'm doing well otherwise though. Who the fuck is the killer?!

P90

I reached the dating level with Chie and Yokiko and tried both paths. Dang my heart is torn. Chie's dialogue was "touching" in the mid-levels. Yukiko's dialogue for the upper levels was "touching". Both have attractive qualities...

Does who you date change any part of the story or give different scenarios later in the game?

Tamanon said:
No one escapes Vimes! I mean, Dojima. I loved that ending. I really wouldn't have minded if Dojima had been a PC. He would have been awesome.

P90 said:
I reached the dating level with Chie and Yokiko and tried both paths. Dang my heart is torn. Chie's dialogue was "touching" in the mid-levels. Yukiko's dialogue for the upper levels was "touching". Both have attractive qualities...

Does who you date change any part of the story or give different scenarios later in the game?
I don't know all it does, but I do know that if you
beat the seventh dungeon prior to the 22nd, then you get a date with said girl.

Tenks said:
I'm sure most SMT purist would echo this statement but Persona4 is significantly more accessible than SMT: Nocturne or even the Digital Devils. Nocturne and DDS games get very frustrating at times where P4 manages to find a pretty happy medium between difficult and "throw your controller across the room" difficult. Not to mention I hate demon conversations, fuckers always steal my macca.
Yeah more acessible, no doubt, but better? Don't think so. Nocturne's story, presentation and overall setting still hasn't been matched by it's spinoffs, maybe it's because of it's downbeat attitude, or the lesser focus on narrative exposition; can't quite put my finger on it right now, but so far I think SMT3 will only be surpassed by SMT4. And I hope it's on PS2 so that I can play it.

RocketDarkness said:
Yeah, Hierophant was beautiful. But hey, more incentive to start over as soon as possible.

EDIT: Anyone mind refreshing my memory on exactly what the shadows/teammate's shadows were? I remember enough of it, but I'd like a more concise definition, or in-game script of it, if that's floatin' about already.

Something about the ego of people, blah blah blah.
Read Carl Jung basicly, heck the only Persona game not involving any Jungian concept that I know of was P3.

Tamanon

Banned
P90 said:

Later in the game yeah. Minor minor spoilers.
You get a different item depending on which date you have later on

Blackjack

P90 said:

Chie is the most awkward dating option ever. EVER.

evanylee

After you Rank 10 the social link, it cannot be reversed. Date as many people as you want. Chie, Yukiko, and Rise are hanging off my arms.

Although, there were some awkward moments when non party members greet you in the dungeons. Chie and Yukiko both make some comment about, "how did you know that his room was like that?"

Ah, after another satisfying glut of battle experience, I go to head upstairs and end for the night.

*HEAT WAVE*
*HEAT WAVE*

GAME OVER, yeaaahhhhhh.

I am all for the risk and reward of the dungeons and bowing out, but not when 1 floor up enemies suddenly invent a bullshit move that wipesout the entire party suddenly.

Blackjack said:
Chie is the most awkward dating option ever. EVER.
Yeah, but that's mostly due to her personality. She's not used to guys actually paying attention to her, since she's always hanging around Yukiko, hahah.

Besides, Music Sun is much worse. I couldn't even bear to start an intimate relationship with her.

Blackjack

RocketDarkness said:
Yeah, but that's mostly due to her personality. She's not used to guys actually paying attention to her, since she's always hanging around Yukiko, hahah.

Besides, Music Sun is much worse. I couldn't even bear to start an intimate relationship with her.
Ayane can be in a heterosexual relationship!

I mean, it should be with another 12 year old, but still!

RedBoot

So, with all this talk about dating multiple people, I have a question. (Late December spoilers)
If you've got multiple relationships going on, how does the game decide who you see on the Christmas date? I went with only Yukiko on my first run, so that's who I got, but this time around I was planning on going with Naoto (since the strategy guide erroneously states you can only date her on the second run). But now that I know you can go with multiple people (something else the guide was wrong about), it'd be easier to see the serious relationship S.Links for everyone else as well instead of replaying the game another 4-5 times. But I want to make sure to get Naoto for the Xmas thing since she apparently wears a special costume. How do I make sure of that?

Tamanon

Banned
RedBoot said:
So, with all this talk about dating multiple people, I have a question. (Late December spoilers)
If you've got multiple relationships going on, how does the game decide who you see on the Christmas date? I went with only Yukiko on my first run, so that's who I got, but this time around I was planning on going with Naoto (since the strategy guide erroneously states you can only date her on the second run). But now that I know you can go with multiple people (something else the guide was wrong about), it'd be easier to see the serious relationship S.Links for everyone else as well instead of replaying the game another 4-5 times. But I want to make sure to get Naoto for the Xmas thing since she apparently wears a special costume. How do I make sure of that?

I assume it's by turning down the phone call, then the next one calls. Like in P3. Might wanna save first though!:p

Tenks

SecretBonusPoint said:
Ah, after another satisfying glut of battle experience, I go to head upstairs and end for the night.

*HEAT WAVE*
*HEAT WAVE*

GAME OVER, yeaaahhhhhh.

I am all for the risk and reward of the dungeons and bowing out, but not when 1 floor up enemies suddenly invent a bullshit move that wipesout the entire party suddenly.

Pretty sure whatever enemy you're talking about didn't invent Heat Wave

Volcynika

Tamanon said:
I assume it's by turning down the phone call, then the next one calls. Like in P3. Might wanna save first though!:p

I did that on the last possible day (the 22nd I think), and there was NO chance to save between that and the boss, so I sure as hell wasn't going to chance it :lol

RedBoot

Tamanon said:

Man, I feel bad enough turning down S.Links when they pop up during the Lunchtime period, and now you want me to ignore people when they call with such heartfelt requests? :lol

Blackjack

RedBoot said:
Man, I feel bad enough turning down S.Links when they pop up during the Lunchtime period, and now you want me to ignore people when they call with such heartfelt requests? :lol
I alternate between feeling REALLY REALLY SAD when they're all "Oh...okay, then...maybe some other time :(" and just being like "GET MORE FRIENDS, PEOPLE. I CANNOT JESUS ALL OF YOU AT ONCE"

ukiraros

Damn, all that work starting from floor 7
in the bath house to save Kanji, kicking that mid boss with no problems
. Then I was in floor 10 going to floor 11 to save I was killed two times with this instant kill crap. Which is okay BUT, why in the world does the game end when your MC is dead? That's just stupid.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Blackjack said:
I alternate between feeling REALLY REALLY SAD when they're all "Oh...okay, then...maybe some other time :(" and just being like "GET MORE FRIENDS, PEOPLE. I CANNOT JESUS ALL OF YOU AT ONCE"

Haha, I feel the same, to an extent. It would be cool (in P5, for example), if you hung out with someone else, you would catch two of your friends hanging out as a more regular occurance, rather than only the specialized cell phone calls every once in a while.

Which is okay BUT, why in the world does the game end when your MC is dead? That's just stupid.

You're the leader. Without you, the troops are nothing.

....Level up your party's S-links to....5, I think. They'll take any single target death hit for you.

ukiraros said:
Damn, all that work starting from floor 7
in the bath house to save Kanji, kicking that mid boss with no problems
. Then I was in floor 10 going to floor 11 to save I was killed two times with this instant kill crap. Which is okay BUT, why in the world does the game end when your MC is dead? That's just stupid.

This. Exactly this. I've quit for this evening due to the rage boiling in my heart, but arrrrrrgh!

zoku88

Can't you guys get death resistant personas or something? :lol

From memory, the only time I've dead from instant death attacks was when it was like fear+ insta death.

Blackjack

ukiraros said:
Damn, all that work starting from floor 7 in the bath house to save Kanji, kicking that mid boss with no problems. Then I was in floor 10 going to floor 11 to save I was killed two times with this instant kill crap. Which is okay BUT, why in the world does the game end when your MC is dead? That's just stupid.
Buy some Goho-Ms or make a Persona with the Traesto spell. There's no reason not to be returning to save every couple of floors/levels.

Metroidvania said:
....Level up your party's S-links to....5, I think. They'll take any single target death hit for you.
Rank one, actually.

Its more a case of the insane sudden level ramp up of the floor 10 enemies, suddenly nuking you with triple element spells or simultaneous damage attacks.

Obviously its clear I need to level my shit now just to get past the scrubs to even approach the boss, but theres nothing quite like losing an hour of your dungeon crawling time to incite blood curdling "NOOOOOOOOOO~"'s.

Blackjack

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its more a case of the insane sudden level ramp up of the floor 10 enemies, suddenly nuking you with triple element spells or simultaneous damage attacks.

Obviously its clear I need to level my shit now just to get past the scrubs to even approach the boss, but theres nothing quite losing an hour of your dungeon crawling time to incite blood curdling "NOOOOOOOOOO~"'s.
Except, as I just said there is no reason for you TO BE losing an hour of your dungeon crawling time.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think of it like this, if I don't return to the hub before or after I kill the midboss (and the regular enemies are formidable), I'm working on borrowed time. Screw the heartache, go and save. 950yen of insurance, a pittance when compared to lost time.

Every moment in my gaming life where I've died after a long span of time of not saving, I can remember a point where I could have saved, where I should have and decided against it. I know I'll probably do it again and hate myself but it helps to be aware of this bad habit.

ukiraros

I have 3 Goho-Ms and I knew I was going to face a boss on floor 7 so I used it. It's not like I played from floor 1 to 10 and get killed.

I wonder if I could beat the boss on floor 11 with only the MC with full SP (thanks to Sarvasti and her 5 SP recovery for every turn), everyone has 1 or 0 SP left. I do have items to gain back SP but I am a stingy bastard. I have beaten the mid boss with this tactic with ease, too.

ukiraros said:
I have 3 Goho-Ms and I knew I was going to face a boss on floor 7 so I used it. It's not like I played from floor 1 to 10 and get killed.

I wonder if I could beat the boss on floor 11 with only the MC with full SP (thanks to Sarvasti and her 5 SP recovery for every turn), everyone has 1 or 0 SP left. I do have items to gain back SP but I am a stingy bastard. I have beaten the mid boss with this tactic with ease, too.
Stock up on TaP Cola and the others. Easy to stock up on, and useful in the early game when SP recovery is costly from the fox. Not useful in battle, of course, but in between battles.

Blackjack

ukiraros said:

No, you cannot. If you're determined to do it in one day, go back to the first dungeon and fight on the first few floors (using Rush) until you get an Upright Death/Judgment card.

ukiraros

RocketDarkness said:
Stock up on TaP Cola and the others. Easy to stock up on, and useful in the early game when SP recovery is costly from the fox. Not useful in battle, of course, but in between battles.
Yeah, already I knew about the TaP Soda and buy it as much as I can when it's available.

Blackjack said:
No, you cannot. If you're determined to do it in one day, go back to the first dungeon and fight on the first few floors (using Rush) until you get an Upright Death/Judgment card.
Too bad, it appears I need to attempt this again with everyone full HP and SP.

My attempt to save Yukiko on April 18th was in 1 try and the optional boss at her castle was in one attempt as well. That was one hell of an epic battle though.

Varna

So is there a decent payoff for finishing the Hermit social link? I'm at level 6 and it doesn't seem like the alleged discount is doing anything.

Tamanon

Banned
Varna said:
So is there a decent payoff for finishing the Hermit social link? I'm at level 6 and it doesn't seem like the alleged discount is doing anything.

Well it's 60 yen per SP at rank 1, 15 yen per SP at rank 10.

RyoHazuki

I have a question about December:

I think I got 2 of the bad endings. I threw the guy into the TV once and left him to the police the other time. How do I get the true ending?

Top Bottom