• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Blackjack

RocketDarkness said:
Naoto's lousy at boss fights, yes, but he makes dungeon crawling a breeeeeeeeze. I tossed him the Chakra Ring, and combined with Relaxing Wave, he's usually able to kill everything and end up with very little, if any, SP gone at the end of the battle. He's got a constant spot in my party for dungeon crawling. Especially the dungeons with Gold Hands that have ridiculously large amounts of HP. Hamaon + Hama Boost = 18k yen for 7 SP, and it's missed ONCE out of maybe 10 hands. Might just be me, but Light/Dark magic seems far more useful in P4 compared to 3.

What I meant in my conjecture concerning Kanji was that I almost always choose my party members for specific purposes, meaning that he's in direct competition with the MC most of the time. The other characters can at least deal fairly respectable damage with their elemental spells. Kaji was hitting for single-digits against enemies weak to his element, and he certainly wasn't underleveled at the time. Eh...I dunno. Kanji. Meh.

He's still awesome characterwise, though!
You do know there are enemies that GREATLY resist damage from the element they're weak to, right? Kanji can generally do around 100 (with boost and amp) to things NOT weak to elec. And then over 500 with his physical attacks. So, not really useless, especially in Boss Fights.

johnsmith said:
What? On all enemies? Are you sure it wasn't on some magic resistant enemies. Even Chie was doing 100 damage with mabufu at the end, and this was without ice boost or ice amp. I don't see how Kanji could do less than that with Maziodyne and elec boost and elec amp even with a crappy magic stat.
I think it was in
Heaven
, so no one had Amp skills yet. Everyone had boost, though. He'd hit for 3 or some equally depressing number. Yosuke and the other casters were doing more damage, and that was without the electricity weakness, to boot.

My Kanji's magic stat is fairly low, not sure if it's lower than what would be considered normal, though.

EDIT: @ Blackjack: That's probably it. But still, his numbers have never impressed me, and Teddie gains both Matarukaja and Marakukaja, meaning he can focus on healing/buffing, without needing to go on the offense unless absolutely necessary.

Kanji's not a bad character. But he's definitely the worst overall, in my mind. Fairly low magic growths, a single useful end-game buff spell, and a bunch of physical attacks without Power Charge make it easy for him to be replacing depending on the situation.

I don't get the Kanji-hate.

Kanji, Teddie, and Yukiko so far are my boss-attack team. I'm in August BTW.

Maybe I have a man-crush on Kanji, but his physical attack is pretty good and he has decent magic skills.

Chie, on the other hand, seems really weak to me. I use her to crawl dungeons when I don't want to waste too much SP. Her bufu skills don't really compare to Ted's and I don't like doubling up on any element in my party.

Wyndstryker said:
Never took the time to get a Messiah in P3, but now that this is the first time seeing it, it's practically a combination of Minato, Orpheus and Thanatos.
Well, considering that is how you fuse him and that is the persona that is actually shown with Minato in the credits, I think it fits. I kind of see Minato as more of a messiah figure than a hero figure. And by that, I mean more aloof and less friendly.

nakedsushi said:

Maybe I have a man-crush on Kanji, but his physical attack is pretty good and he has decent magic skills.

Chie, on the other hand, seems really weak to me. I use her to crawl dungeons when I don't want to waste too much SP. Her bufu skills don't really compare to Ted's and I don't like doubling up on any element in my party.
As was pointed out to me by Blackjack, Chie can become your heaviest damage dealer when you have all of her skills unlocked.
Power Change, plus a strength buff, and Godhand will deal amazing damage. And with Yosuke around, you can even boost her accuracy. I've had her deal 3500 damage on an enemy is a latter dungeon.

Blackjack

nakedsushi said:

Chie lags a bit in the midgame (though it's not QUITE as bad as others make it out to be).

She makes up for it by being a one-woman destruction team in the late game. Power Charge + God's Hand can break 2000 damage even WITHOUT buffs and debuffs.

Tamanon

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Well, considering that is how you fuse him and that is the persona that is actually shown with Minato in the credits, I think it fits. I kind of see Minato as more of a messiah figure than a hero figure. And by that, I mean more aloof and less friendly.

As was pointed out to me by Blackjack, Chie can become your heaviest damage dealer when you have all of her skills unlocked.
Power Change, plus a strength buff, and Godhand will deal amazing damage. And with Yosuke around, you can even boost her accuracy. I've had her deal 3500 damage on an enemy is a latter dungeon.

Also.....
Minato died for everyone's sins
:lol :lol

Vorador said:
There's like
three
different endings, so which one? :lol

normal ending for me. i know theres a true ending by now, but theres no way i could get that extra ending without help. i never use guides, they kill all the fun for me on my first playthroughs. still, that last boss was pretty lame.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I have the Fox S-Link at Lv 9 and now dungeon crawling seems like it's no problem, refilling SP is dirt cheap compared to the first two dungeons when Fox was much lower.

Doing the class trip now.

When Yuki and Rise are plastered at the club, do the choices actually make a difference to what Yukiko does?

I just got this as a late Christmas gift, shipping error, and holy shit am I impressed with the artbook...it's an actual book!

Now I have no intention of returning to this thread until I'm done P3.

johnsmith

remember me
Red Blaster said:
Doing the class trip now.

When Yuki and Rise are plastered at the club, do the choices actually make a difference to what Yukiko does?

king's game? yes. Every choice is a different person doing it.

jaundicejuice said:
I just got this as a late Christmas gift, shipping error, and holy shit am I impressed with the artbook...it's an actual book!

Now I have no intention of returning to this thread until I'm done P3.

They aren't kidding about the spoiler alert on that first page. Resist the urge to flip through it.

johnsmith said:
king's game? yes. Every choice is a different person doing it.

They aren't kidding about the spoiler alert on that first page. Resist the urge to flip through it.
I wonder how you get Rise

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
:lol :lol :lol

I am playing through the July 29 spoilers
cook-off scene. OMG I don't think I have laughed out loud this much playing a video game! Pretty freaking hilarious. "It tastes boneless." ... or "It tastes awful!" with Teddie's voice happy as hell! hahahaha

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have another general gameplay question:

How is damage calculated? Is it better to have a weapon that gives you stats like +3 strength versus a weapon that has a little extra attack power but no stats? Basically, how important are Personae stats versus the equipment your character is using?

... And is Agility in this game really important? Should I just go for armor that has high Def and low Agility?

Tamanon

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I have another general gameplay question:

How is damage calculated? Is it better to have a weapon that gives you stats like +3 strength versus a weapon that has a little extra attack power but no stats? Basically, how important are Personae stats versus the equipment your character is using?

... And is Agility in this game really important? Should I just go for armor that has high Def and low Agility?

Defense is generally your best bet. I've found stats to not have as much impact on the game as straight attack power(only affects your normal attacks) and defense. If you don't attack much, then stats are definitely better though.

johnsmith

remember me
Searched through the gamefaqs message boards. People are saying that weapon attack power only affects normal physical attacks but not persona physical skills. Strength affects both normal physical attacks and physical skills.

Weapon stats and special effects seem to be more important then since you'll often use magic and physical skills instead of attacking normally.

Take all that with a grain of salt though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ahh okay that makes sense!

... and dammit: warning to everyone. If you buy a large fish thing through the shopping channel, don't give it to a damn cat. I didn't know the importance of it, and now I need it for a SLink. Grr, now I have to try and go catch one...

From what I hear a lot of people actually liked it more than P3's ending, and if you've seen P3's ending you know that's saying something.

I'm nowhere near the end but it's something to look forward to.

Red Scarlet

Ok, as much fun as it is to go through the Sauna for the 5th time or whatever, I'm looking for 'Thick Hides', and the guy says they are in here. All I've found in here are 'Tough Hides', from those weird 'cop' enemies with holes/keys inside them. Does anybody know what monster drops the Thick Hide? I'd like to move on..

Vorador

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Ok, as much fun as it is to go through the Sauna for the 5th time or whatever, I'm looking for 'Thick Hides', and the guy says they are in here. All I've found in here are 'Tough Hides', from those weird 'cop' enemies with holes/keys inside them. Does anybody know what monster drops the Thick Hide? I'd like to move on..

Dancing Hand (5 to 8 Floor)

No wonder I couldn't get the guardian, my DShock2 doesn't rumble on the left side anymore so I never felt the tugs only the bites, had to pull out my PSX Dshock controller to get it.

Red Scarlet said:
The next Persona better have a check enemie's troops ability somewhere down the line.

Ah, I beat it! I saw the true ending and everything! Hooooooly shit, what an unforgettable final boss sequence! <3

The music! The MUSIC!

<3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Persona 4 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Vorador

Banned
Damn, the
real
last dungeon's enemies are a pain. I tend to run out of SP after a few floors, and they don't give much exp nor money. Hopefully i should unlock soon
Relaxing Wave
to help alleviate my problem.

firex

If you're dealing with that dungeon I think the best party member to take is
Naoto
along with Chie and Yukiko, as most of the enemies I ran into were weak to fire, ice, lightning, or light/dark.

noi5e

Joined the True Ending club yesterday.

I got nerd rage because on the last day
of December, I caught the Guardian with my last piece of bait from the housewife, then went to the Fox to try and max out Hermit but the game said to come back on Christmas!

Also, I only maxed out one non-team S-Link which made the ending kinda funny.
Here are all my best friends wishing me luck from beyond the void, and then all of a sudden there's this random hot nurse. WTF :lol

So what did I do to take out my anger? Load up a New Game+ and play that for three hours of course.

Vorador

Banned
The enemies aren't very difficult, but Mahamaon/Mamudoon take a toll on my SP :p. So i have to
visit the fox
pretty often on that dungeon to keep my team in reasonably good shape.

BTW, it is possible that there's un-inheritable skills? I've tried to make a Saturnus with Ragnarok (fire skill) inherited from a Surt and i've been unable to do that no matter how many times i tired.

Tamanon

Banned
Vorador said:
The enemies aren't very difficult, but Mahamaon/Mamudoon take a toll on my SP :p. So i have to
visit the fox
pretty often on that dungeon to keep my team in reasonably good shape.

BTW, it is possible that there's un-inheritable skills? I've tried to make a Saturnus with Ragnarok (fire skill) inherited from a Surt and i've been unable to do that no matter how many times i tired.

Yeah, there are uninheritable skills. Generally they're any of the ultimate elemental spells and I think Debilitate won't transfer.

Vorador

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah, there are uninheritable skills. Generally they're any of the ultimate elemental spells and I think Debilitate won't transfer.

I suspected as much. Oh well.

PD: Hanged Man is
the brother of Saki Konishi
And you can open Kanji's S.L when
you talk with some girls about Kanji smacking people in the Practice building i think, and go to see him there

zoku88

Red Blaster said:
Who possesses the Hanged Man S-Link? And where does Kanji usually hang out, I realized I haven't done shit with him.
Practice Rooms, first floor after school.

On holidays, he's at his mom's place.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Who possesses the Hanged Man S-Link? And where does Kanji usually hang out, I realized I haven't done shit with him.

Naoki, the guy you meet at the medic room, have to talk to him several times to open it up, but it's a quick S. Link.

And Kanji hangs out in the practice building on school days, outside the shop on days off.

Tenks

zoku88 said:
Practice Rooms, first floor after school.

On holidays, he's at his mom's place.

It should also be noted you need to talk to another student (I believe a female on the second or first floor) and she will tell you he has been bullying people

noi5e

Red Blaster said:

Hanged Man is
Saki's brother, you can't really miss him since the game scripts in your first couple of approaches. I didn't bother levelling him, but I hear it's pretty easy.

Blackjack

noi5e said:
Hanged Man is
Saki's brother, you can't really miss him since the game scripts in your first couple of approaches. I didn't bother levelling him, but I hear it's pretty easy.
It only scripts you meeting him for the first time -- which isn't even an S.Link initiating thing.

Yaweee

noi5e said:
Hanged Man is

It is pretty easy, and he's one of the few S. Links in the game that matches their Arcana well.

firex

I didn't actually know who started that social link until I decided to talk to everybody in school, and remembered who he was, and saw he had a portrait.

Vorador said:
Damn, the
real
last dungeon's enemies are a pain. I tend to run out of SP after a few floors, and they don't give much exp nor money. Hopefully i should unlock soon
Relaxing Wave
to help alleviate my problem.
I was level 80 when I fought
Adachi and that giant eye, so I really doubt the final dungeon will be all that hard for me when ever it is that I actually get to play it.

Top Bottom