• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ukiraros

Tamanon said:
You can do friend only if you want to. Each girl has a friend branch and a serious branch. You can even avoid dating anybody or everybody.

He was joking about the Understanding stuff though.

Ah, alright.

Adam Prime said:
:lol I'm just messing with yall about the sex. When you get a max S.Link with a girl you get an ambigous line about what you guys do next and the screen goes black.

Damn you.

Varna

Adam Prime said:
Well there ya go, you're playing on Expert and I'm on Normal. Although now I wish I had played on Expert... I dunno. I am dying A LOT less than I did on Persona 3. And I guess that's probably a good thing. I really hate playing for two hours in a dungeon and then getting KO'd by some random enemy and lose all progress. The game is still challenging, but now just less frustrating.

I think the No-Reverse S.Link thing is alright. It's less "realistic" but a lot less tedious. I remember I had to look up guides to see what I was "supposed" to say to keep the girls from getting pissed off at me more when I was in Reverse. :p

It probably would have been more or less the same, at least for most encounters. Things in battle are too dependent on the elemental weakness aspect so other things like defense and damage don't really matter (though I have ran into some generic monsters that have managed to take out my characters in a single hit). It adds a little extra sense of danger, but you still mainly worry about the same stuff in normal mode like having the right Persona and whatnot.

I was just expecting a lot more from the social links. A lot of people gave me the impression that they had improved them... the only real improvement is the fact that there are more stat requirements and the mid social link stat requirement is a nice addition too. Everything else like is the same or worse.

Varna said:
I was just expecting a lot more from the social links. A lot of people gave me the impression that they had improved them... the only real improvement is the fact that there are more stat requirements and the mid social link stat requirement is a nice addition too. Everything else like is the same or worse.
S. Links felt way more natural in P4.

First off, you're actually able to do S. Links with all the members of your group, not just the females. You don't have to wait 'til the middle of the game to start them. They give tangible in-combat bonuses.

Secondly, there are a ton of automatic S. Link boosting events, which make plenty of sense. Helping Nanako with homework, running into everyone on the weekend, etc, etc.

And, of course, certain S. Links boost personal stats and have other nice bonuses. I never understood why Kendo practice gave no stat boosts in P3, and it's remedied nicely in P4.

Blackjack

Varna said:
I dunno, I only really liked two or three of the S.Links in Persona 3 (Tower, Hanged Man, and Chariot). I find myself really enjoying a lot of them in Persona 4 (Tower was great again, especially the rank 9 event, Hanged Man, Moon, Death, Emperor, Basketball Strength, Temperance, Hierophant, Justice, Priestess until the last couple levels)

Red Scarlet said:
Are these all right? These are my current equipped Personas (its August).

Be warned, its a kinda big picture.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/p4032rmp.png

And I know my Succubus sucks, but that's cause I made her when Devil was rank 0 or 1, and it's 5 now..so she'll be a bit better when I re-fuse her in a little while.
Shouldn't Gabriel have Divine Grace by now? That doubles the effectiviness of healing skills, for me it made Mediarama the skill to use even against the final boss.

Red Scarlet

Adam Prime said:
Yes I just had sex with Chie. I love the music when you hit a max S.Link! :lol

I tried to get it so I maxed her link on my birthday, but it rains on that day, so I had to finish her up two days before. I couldn't find any links to do on my bday, so I winded up fishing. :/

I did get a Huge Fish though.

Blackjack

Red Scarlet said:
Are these all right? These are my current equipped Personas (its August).

Be warned, its a kinda big picture.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/p4032rmp.png

And I know my Succubus sucks, but that's cause I made her when Devil was rank 0 or 1, and it's 5 now..so she'll be a bit better when I re-fuse her in a little while.
Not bad. I'm a bit biased since I haaaaate the Growth skills (yes, I know I'm the only one :lol ). Why the Wall skills and not Resists, though?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Any idea when this one releases in Europe? I'm looking forward to it, having played P3:FES for the last few weeks.

Also, is it pretty much unanimous that P4 is superior in every single way?

firex

It's really tough for me to say that P4 is superior in every way compared to P3, especially Fes. for one, P4's missing the awesome item creation system from Fes. I also feel like P3 did a little better job of establishing its world than P4 did. by that I mean P3 allows you to sort of make sense of the shadows and stuff on your own/from a more normal person, Mitsuru, while in P4 all the explanations for the weird stuff come from the king of weird stuff, Teddie. also, I feel like aside from the true ending, P4 didn't really make the hero feel that special. P3 definitely goes for that by having him display some fucked up powers that nobody else has. But it's not like there's any quantifiable way of saying one is better than the other. I do think I liked P3 more, even though it's way too easy compared to P4, but it's also a case of P3 being the first game to use this formula, so P4 doesn't feel as fresh.

Melville

Kweh said:
Do you ultimately get anything worthwhile for helping Fox, like does he join your party, or heal you for free?

The fox doesn't heal you for free but it's much cheaper. Also it unlocks a pray option for the shrine, which lets you get social points anyday, even when it's raining. Oh and you can fuse the ultimate Hermit Persona.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kweh said:
Do you ultimately get anything worthwhile for helping Fox, like does he join your party, or heal you for free?

I think it's definitely worth it. You can spend more time dungeon crawling and not having to worry about using all your SP healing items. It's the most concentrated social link that I spent time on for sure.

DKnight said:
The Void Quest dungeon... so fucking awesome :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, the music and the shadow boss fight were really good! My favorite dungeon so far.

firex said:
It's really tough for me to say that P4 is superior in every way compared to P3, especially Fes. f But it's not like there's any quantifiable way of saying one is better than the other. I do think I liked P3 more, even though it's way too easy compared to P4, but it's also a case of P3 being the first game to use this formula, so P4 doesn't feel as fresh.

I like EVERYTHING about P4 considerably more than everything in P3. The Social Links mechanics, the battle system, the story, the characters. To me P4 makes P3 look like a really boring ass game. P4 might go up as one of my most favorite RPGs ever, and I honestly wouldn't put P3 on my Top 10 list as much as I played and liked it. The characters and story got a little stale towards the end of the game.

... oh and the script, writing, dialog is also so much better to me! I have laughed out loud so many times playing Persona 4. The voice actors do a remarkable job of delivering their lines and sounding so close to the type of character they represent.

Kweh said:
By about level 5-6, the Fox's healing will become viable if you feel you need to extend your run, and there are definitely times when I wish I had put more time into it, besides, the side quests that come with the S-link are pretty enjoyable for the most part.

Adam Prime said:
I like EVERYTHING about P4 considerably more than everything in P3. The Social Links mechanics, the battle system, the story, the characters. To me P4 makes P3 look like a really boring ass game. P4 might go up as one of my most favorite RPGs ever, and I honestly wouldn't put P3 on my Top 10 list as much as I played and liked it. The characters and story got a little stale towards the end of the game.

... oh and the script, writing, dialog is also so much better to me! I have laughed out loud so many times playing Persona 4. The voice actors do a remarkable job of delivering their lines and sounding so close to the type of character they represent.

I agree that P4 is, in every way, a better game than P3, but P3 holds such a special place in my heart that I'm really interested in seeing what I think of it when I go back and play it again. Honestly, I expect to play both P4 and P3 again, and to love both. The fact that both games have a very different plot will help to keep the experience separated.

And I know a lot of people will jump on me for this, but no matter how much I love the cast of P3, I think I still like Yukari and Junpei better. If I could jam them into P4, it'd be the best game ever. /hyperbole

Vorador

Banned
P4 is better, but still P3 hold it's own imho. P4 is more lighthearted, and i laughed a lot, but the story and ending of P3 FES were more satisfying for me than the ones of P4.

In P3 you truly felt you were saving the world, when in P4 it never felt quite the same, more like catching a killer and then at the very end of the game "uh oh, he/she wants to make everyone shadows, we have to stop this". Also the end game boss and the posterior revelations of P3 were far more epic than the ones in P4.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
crowphoenix said:
And I know a lot of people will jump on me for this, but no matter how much I love the cast of P3, I think I still like Yukari and Junpei better. If I could jam them into P4, it'd be the best game ever. /hyperbole

I'll agree with that. The character that I hated the most in P3 and who really ruined it for me was Aegis. Here you have a believable storyline, characters, and setting... then insert a fucking female cyborg character who is all into human emotions and stuff. Huh!?! Her character just seemed totally completely out of place with the entire story and setting to me. And then the story goes on to really centralize her character as an important role in the story. That just killed P3's story for me, personally.

I think that's what I enjoy the most out of P4 versus any other RPG. It's not crazy super-out-there science fiction or fantasy. It's just simply fantasy, the most "far out" there character would have to be Tedddie. But even they have done an amazing job keeping him in the spectrum of believable especially after you find out
that there's actually a person in the costume.
. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I must say this entire storyline and characters has done nothing but continually impress me.

... My .02

Blackjack

Adam Prime said:
I'll agree with that. The character that I hated the most in P3 and who really ruined it for me was Aegis. Here you have a believable storyline, characters, and setting... then insert a fucking female cyborg character who is all into human emotions and stuff. Huh!?! Her character just seemed totally completely out of place with the entire story and setting to me. And then the story goes on to really centralize her character as an important role in the story. That just killed P3's story for me, personally.

I think that's what I enjoy the most out of P4 versus any other RPG. It's not crazy super-out-there science fiction or fantasy. It's just simply fantasy, the most "far out" there character would have to be Tedddie. But even they have done an amazing job keeping him in the spectrum of believable especially after you find out
that there's actually a person in the costume.
. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I must say this entire storyline and characters has done nothing but continually impress me.

... My .02
YES! Thank you! Aigis was such an awful character :D I always feel like the only one that doesn't like her.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned Persona 3 would be much, much better if no one joined after Fuuka (except maybe Shinjiro but we won't count him since you meet him way before Fuuka).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh yeah, I hated Fukka too. I think every character in P4 has made me laugh. And it's just me personally, but I like people who can make me laugh.... even my fake video game people. :p

Adam Prime said:

The ending didn't do it for me though, very weak final boss, even the fake final boss was a better fight. If there's one thing P4 misses is on the main storyline department, P3 at least made up for it with a strong ending, it's not even a good muder mystery story.

Blackjack said:
YES! Thank you! Aigis was such an awful character :D I always feel like the only one that doesn't like her.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned Persona 3 would be much, much better if no one joined after Fuuka (except maybe Shinjiro but we won't count him since you meet him way before Fuuka).
I don't hate Aigis, but there are a lot of times that I fail to see her point. Yes, I know she
could sense that Ryoji was death, but that wasn't even necessary. Her knowing that he was dangerous served no purpose, as it was Ryoji himself that figured out what he was. Then wandered over all dejectedly, and told you about it.
Then there's the fact that she really just ends up robbing screen time from several other characters that seem to get pushed to the background once she shows up.

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
I don't hate Aigis, but there are a lot of times that I fail to see her point. Yes, I know she
could sense that Ryoji was death, but that wasn't even necessary. Her knowing that he was dangerous served no purpose, as it was Ryoji himself that figured out what he was. Then wandered over all dejectedly, and told you about it.
Then there's the fact that she really just ends up robbing screen time from several other characters that seem to get pushed to the background once she shows up.
Namely, Yukari. Up until Aigis joins Yukari is, like, the FOCAL CHARACTER. And then Aigis shows up and the game is like "wait, who's this bitch in pink?" :lol

andymcc

Banned
Perhaps someone can help me with the endgame boss.

I'm at izanami no okami and whenever I get her down to a forth of her health she halves my stats ( my protaganist has book of ruin equipped) and pretty much wipes my main out. any way to dodge this or any hints from you all that have cleared it?

Blackjack

andymcc said:
Perhaps someone can help me with the endgame boss.

I'm at izanami no okami and whenever I get her down to a forth of her health she halves my stats ( my protaganist has book of ruin equipped) and pretty much wipes my main out. any way to dodge this or any hints from you all that have cleared it?
Does Dekunda not work?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just went on the class trip
to Gekokan High!!
OMG this is pretty cool, haha I love listening to the music again. Now this brings back some memories of the 70+ hours I sunk into P3! Haha I liked the small reference to Mitsu too.

That was definitely one of my favorite sections in the whole game. So much fun.

On an unrelated note, what's the level I need to reach to be able to summon the highest level persona?

Red Scarlet

Blackjack said:
Not bad. I'm a bit biased since I haaaaate the Growth skills (yes, I know I'm the only one :lol ). Why the Wall skills and not Resists, though?

I've run into very few, if any resists aside from physical, and no Nulls aside from Wind so far. :/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is Naoto's voice actor male or female? Seriously.

... and what the hell happened to Kanji at
the club on the class trip
? It looked like he was:
rc4jnd.jpg

finally decided to open this and put it in this morning :p

I'm going to have a great time with this one, I can already tell. I spent all morning curled up on my couch under a blanket with my doublejump guide on my lap. Best. Saturday. Evar.

or at least in the last month :/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
crowphoenix said:

I have the game stopped right now
in the club where they are playing the Persona 3 FES opening music so I can listen to it! Freaking awesome!!!!!one

EDIT: OMG the whole party is
drunk!
Bahahah this is the best part in the game by far! The voice actors are amazing!

... okay did Teddie just
rape
Kanji?! Hahahaha
... and I just got a
lap dance
from Chie. This game is officially amazing! :lol

andymcc

Banned
Blackjack said:
Dekunda doesn't prevent stat debuffs, it removes them.

misread the skill, sorry. izanami casted the stat debuff and then obliterated my main. I don't even get the chance to cast dekunda.

totowhoa

Banned
Beat the true ending last night! Whew, maybe I'm kind of slow here, but I never figured out that
guarding would prevent status ailments that were tacked on to attacks! I probably fought that stupid bitch ten times, only to have the MC receive an ailment and die, thanks to stagnant air + foolish whisper or world's end + yomi. Would have just put book of the void on, but I sold it earlier to get some cash in order to fuse a new hex persona because I just couldn't wait any longer. :D Not a hard boss fight at all once I figured that out.

All in all, I loved the subtlety of the story. It was lacking in some ways, but it felt a lot more realistic. Even the loony fantasy elements were presented tactfully/believably to a certain extent. In the end, I didn't feel like I was saving the world really.. it wasn't that epic or anything like that, but it seemed a lot more down to earth at the same time.

Blackjack

Red Scarlet said:
I've run into very few, if any resists aside from physical, and no Nulls aside from Wind so far. :/
Fire at the very least comes in really early. Some are surprisingly late comparatively, though.

Resist Fire:
Ukobach, level 6
Null Fire:
King Frost, level 27
Resist Ice:
Makami, level 33
Null Ice:
Orthrus, level 45
Resist Elec:
Omoikane, level 12
Null Elec:
As far as I've found, the only one is Isis, on level 86
Resist Wind:
Omoikane, level 9
Null Wind:
Your girlfriend, level 23 :lol
Resist Light:
Kaiwan, level 27
Null Light:
Nebiros, level 69
Resist Dark:
Virtue, level 39
Null Dark:
Dominion, level 44

Those are just the ones that learn them the earliest, according to the wiki.

Volcynika

crowphoenix said:

On an unrelated note, what's the level I need to reach to be able to summon the highest level persona?

I think Lucifer is 93, haven't seen higher though.

Blackjack said:
I dunno, I only really liked two or three of the S.Links in Persona 3 (Tower, Hanged Man, and Chariot). I find myself really enjoying a lot of them in Persona 4 (Tower was great again, especially the rank 9 event, Hanged Man, Moon, Death, Emperor, Basketball Strength, Temperance, Hierophant, Justice, Priestess until the last couple levels)

Hanged Man in P3 was the little girl, right? Her's was ace, as well as Mitsuru and the MMORPG S-Links. But aside from a few standouts, P4's has them beat as a whole. I'll admit that the some them are kind of ordinary (Yukiko), but for the most part they're pretty cool. Nanako, Ryotaro, Ai, and the sleazy nurse are great.

Tamanon

Banned
Blackjack said:
Fire at the very least comes in really early. Some are surprisingly late comparatively, though.

Resist Fire:
Ukobach, level 6
Null Fire:
King Frost, level 27
Resist Ice:
Makami, level 33
Null Ice:
Orthrus, level 45
Resist Elec:
Omoikane, level 12
Null Elec:
As far as I've found, the only one is Isis, on level 86
Resist Wind:
Omoikane, level 9
Null Wind:
Your girlfriend, level 23 :lol
Resist Light:
Kaiwan, level 27
Null Light:
Nebiros, level 69
Resist Dark:
Virtue, level 39
Null Dark:
Dominion, level 44

Those are just the ones that learn them the earliest, according to the wiki.

Null Ice you can also get early on with an Incubus on one of the Fusion forecast days.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I just played for pretty much the whole day and cleared The
Underground Lab/Base
dungeon. Man I love this game. Now I'm taking a break and watching NFL Playoffs and playing some Madden. :D

Shouta

I personally think P3 does some things better than P4 does, particularly in the progression and layout of the character stories. P4 makes it feel a bit forced especially early on and there's a lack of setup for some of the later ones. P3 manages to fit the entire cast into the story at certain points and you get to see their personality prior to this growth for awhile so you get a gauge for who they are. It gives their story more impact I think.

I also enjoyed the actual Tower in P3 myself and while not nearly as complex, I did enjoy the more numerous "boss encounters" that it had.

On the other hand, P4 does all the systems so much better and the story remains active throughout. The S.links are far more interesting as a whole as well so it's hard for me to put one or the other over.

Kevtones

I'm in November. Two of my characters have been getting neglected. I'm going to have to do some grinding :(

Nice story moments complemented by some of the best voice acting I've heard (particularly from Dojima).

Shouta said:
I personally think P3 does some things better than P4 does, particularly in the progression and layout of the character stories. P4 makes it feel a bit forced especially early on and there's a lack of setup for some of the later ones. P3 manages to fit the entire cast into the story at certain points and you get to see their personality prior to this growth for awhile so you get a gauge for who they are. It gives their story more impact I think.

I also enjoyed the actual Tower in P3 myself and while not nearly as complex, I did enjoy the more numerous "boss encounters" that it had.

On the other hand, P4 does all the systems so much better and the story remains active throughout. The S.links are far more interesting as a whole as well so it's hard for me to put one or the other over.

I agree with this the only thing I'd like to add is I wish they'd introduced all the characters a bit earlier in the game.
N.S.
coming in so late in the game was a bit annoying.

Kevtones said:
I'm in November. Two of my characters have been getting neglected. I'm going to have to do some grinding :(

Just bring those two and MC to grind and they should level fast.

Varna

Whoa. Nanako just gave me an item that raised all my stats by five!

I'm pretty far in a few female social link stories... I see what they did to resolve the issue with P3's female stories. I like it, even though some of the stories are really quiet boring.

7/26 and the game has taken a bit of a plunge in the difficulty department. A lot of monsters can dish out insane amounts of damage, but they never get the chance most of the time. I actually managed to finish the third dungeon in a single day thanks to the Judgment bonus when I was completely spent.

EDIT: Stupid stupid question I should of asked long ago... Does this game have a calendar?

Top Bottom