• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

firex

Wilsongt said:
Awesome, thanks! I need to fuse a Taotie... I never established the Tower S. Link because I could never get my understanding high enough in time. Now I need to make a Trumpeter. :lol
I had to fuse one too, and in my case I just found triple fusions that made Tower personas, and then downranked until I made Taotie. Probably not quite as helpful as a direct guide telling you what to do, but sometimes those fusion guides don't work. Plus sometimes you can't look up the guide. or at least in my case, I know I can't.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Varna said:
So is there a decent payoff for finishing the Hermit social link? I'm at level 6 and it doesn't seem like the alleged discount is doing anything.

Yeah, I have mine up to Rank 9 and it's a world of a difference. Especially in the later dungeons if you are making good cash, then whatever the Fox asks of you is going to seem like chump change.

Be sure to run through other dungeons once or twice just to make some money. There's no reason you shouldn't have at least over 100,000 yen by the third dungeon.

AniHawk

On tonight's episode of "Well, that was Stupid":

I finally got a super powerful level 61 Kin-Ko or Kii-Ko or something, and it deals out heavy phys damage to every enemy on the screen. So I decided to do this on the very first fight I encountered on reentering the fourth floor of the fifth dungeon. All enemies counter. 150 phys damage x 3 hits my main character and kills him. Game over.

At least I had saved recently.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
:lol that sucks. Shouldn't
Rise
have a skill that tells you if an attack is going to be effective and reflect an attack or not?

Adam Prime said:
:lol that sucks. Shouldn't
Rise
have a skill that tells you if an attack is going to be effective and reflect an attack or not?
That's only if
you've seen the enemy before, or your S. Link is at Rank 10. And even then, usually she'll only say a single one of their weaknesses/resistances is.

ukiraros said:
I have 3 Goho-Ms and I knew I was going to face a boss on floor 7 so I used it. It's not like I played from floor 1 to 10 and get killed.

I wonder if I could beat the boss on floor 11 with only the MC with full SP (thanks to Sarvasti and her 5 SP recovery for every turn), everyone has 1 or 0 SP left. I do have items to gain back SP but I am a stingy bastard. I have beaten the mid boss with this tactic with ease, too.

are you in direct control of your teammates? If not, i would recommend doing that to save SP on your other characters.

the majority of the spell casting should come from you MC since you can get personas with stuff like invigorate.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
Plus, they won't tell you if they have counterstrike, which is what it might've been instead of Repel Physical.
Doesn't that show up on their skills list though?

I remember at least seeing High Counter on there, I think :?

Tamanon

Banned
zoku88 said:
Doesn't that show up on their skills list though?

I remember at least seeing High Counter on there, I think :?

I've only seen it sometimes. I know I've been countered though when it wasn't listed. Pissed me off.:lol

Dear Contrarian King:

Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Fuck you. Bufula.

yours sincerely
SecretBonusPoint

Do all the bonus bosses give you kick-ass special weapons like this?

SecretBonusPoint said:
Dear Contrarian King:

Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Bufula. Fuck you. Bufula.

yours sincerely
SecretBonusPoint

Do all the bonus bosses give you kick-ass special weapons like this?
They vary in awesomeness, but yeah.

Tamanon

Banned
The sixth dungeon's secret boss gives my favorite item.

Chakra Ring. Cuts SP use by 50%

Toss that on Yukiko and never worry about healing again.

Ourobolus

Banned
Tamanon said:

Fuck that. Give it to the MC, since ultimately you'll be casting the most stuff with him (though Book of the Void is similarly useful). Leave Yukiko with her Suzaku Feather and she's good. Give her a +30% HP item, and she'll have 500+ HP/MP by lv 70.

FredFish

Tamanon said:

I got Blessed Hands for trading fish to the old guy by the river pretty early on (April or May iirc) and gave that to Yukiko. Doubles heal spells which works out almost as well (her Mediarama cures nearly 300 HPs on everyone for 12 sp). Save the Chakra for MC imho.

Blackjack

Ourobolus said:
Fuck that. Give it to the MC, since ultimately you'll be casting the most stuff with him (though Book of the Void is similarly useful). Leave Yukiko with her Suzaku Feather and she's good. Give her a +30% HP item, and she'll have 500+ HP/MP by lv 70.
Why would you give the MC an item that replicates a skill that is incredibly easy to pass onto all of his Personas?

Ourobolus

Banned
Blackjack said:
Why would you give the MC an item that replicates a skill that is incredibly easy to pass onto all of his Personas?
Eh, I love fusion, but I typically don't want to sit there for hours getting one specific skill onto every persona I plan on using. I know it's simply enough to do, but the effort...eh.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright I'm getting ready to go after and catch the Big King Fish thing whatever. It's a rainy day so I know that I can catch it today. And I also heard that I need to wait for BIG vibrations in the controller before I start reeling it in.

Any other tips other than that?

Tamanon

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Alright I'm getting ready to go after and catch the Big King Fish thing whatever. It's a rainy day so I know that I can catch it today. And I also heard that I need to wait for BIG vibrations in the controller before I start reeling it in.

Big vibrations several seconds apart. I think it was seven or eight seconds for my Guardian.

firex

spell master is pretty easy to pass on, though. I mean, maybe some of the arcanas I didn't really bother with don't accept passive skills much, but I had like no problems passing on passives to everything I fused that needed them.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tamanon said:
Big vibrations several seconds apart. I think it was seven or eight seconds for my Guardian.

Okay I've gotten several big vibrations (I think), when do I start to reel in?

elbkhm

Adam Prime said:

It seems like it's a _lot_ easier to catch them in December. Trying to catch Huge Fish in December, I ended up catching more Guardians than Huge Fish :(

Other than that, it's not just the size of vibrations, but the amount of time between them that helps tell the fish apart. Longer period = bigger fish.

Start to reel when the bobber drops.

Ourobolus

Banned
firex said:
spell master is pretty easy to pass on, though. I mean, maybe some of the arcanas I didn't really bother with don't accept passive skills much, but I had like no problems passing on passives to everything I fused that needed them.
Oh yeah, it's simple enough to pass on a passive skill like that, I'd just rather spend two seconds equipping an item than 30 minutes to an hour getting a skill like that on all of the personas I use. I had a bunch of personas where I was using all 8 of their skill slots often, anyway.

Besides, if anyone other than the MC needs the Chakra Ring, it's Naoto.
Hamaon + Mudoon + Megidolaon (I discarded the multiple insta-kill spells due to the high SP cost and lower connect rate) = huge SP drain.

Blackjack

Ourobolus said:
Oh yeah, it's simple enough to pass on a passive skill like that, I'd just rather spend two seconds equipping an item than 30 minutes to an hour getting a skill like that on all of the personas I use. I had a bunch of personas where I was using all 8 of their skill slots often, anyway.

Besides, if anyone other than the MC needs the Chakra Ring, it's Naoto.
Hamaon + Mudoon + Megidolaon (I discarded the multiple insta-kill spells due to the high SP cost and lower connect rate) = huge SP drain.
But...Multi-target instakills is one of the only things that saves Naoto from complete uselessness! Not to mention that it's easier on SP in the long run to use multitargets :lol

You people leave Naoto alone!
She's
great until SP runs out, which is usually around turn 7, and what's wrong with a bit of added dificulty?

Ourobolus

Banned
Blackjack said:
But...Multi-target instakills is one of the only things that saves Naoto from complete uselessness! Not to mention that it's easier on SP in the long run to use multitargets :lol
That's true, but only if there are more than two enemies weak to it. Otherwise, it's not. Since it was pretty rare for me to run into a battle where that happened, I figured it was better to have the single-hit ones. Besides, Mudoon/Hamaon connect 60% of the time, while Mamudoon/Mahamaon only connect 40%.

(or something close to that)

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
But he's sooooooo bad.

Whatever. I gave him the 1/2 SP item and just spammed his death skills all the way until the end of the game. He completely trivializes regular battles, and none of the bosses after you get him are remotely difficult anyways (or at least not in ways where any of the other characters would make a damn difference, either).

In P3, I got through the second half of the game casting almost nothing except instant death moves. In P4, they're even better because if you miss one but hit a weakness on another, you get another chance.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just hit August in the game, sure is going by fast. We
"caught" the killer
but I know better than that. So really looking forward to seeing the story pick up from here.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yaweee said:
Whatever. I gave him the 1/2 SP item and just spammed his death skills all the way until the end of the game. He completely trivializes regular battles, and none of the bosses after you get him are remotely difficult anyways (or at least not in ways where any of the other characters would make a damn difference, either).

In P3, I got through the second half of the game casting almost nothing except instant death moves. In P4, they're even better because if you miss one but hit a weakness on another, you get another chance.

I didn't spam his skills, but he's certainly far from useless...not sure what these other guys are smoking. Best dungeon crawler out of the rest of the party, but yeah, he's not that great for boss battles. Luckily, there's that handy save point right before each one. :D

Wilsongt

Naoto hasn't left my party since he joined, except for when I was running through lower dungeons to fight the option boss. Item that cuts SP uses in half + Mind Charge + Megi-- = lots and lots of damage. Plus, his current Hama/Mudo spells for 7 SP? Hell yeah.

RedBoot

Ourobolus said:
That's true, but only if there are more than two enemies weak to it. Otherwise, it's not. Since it was pretty rare for me to run into a battle where that happened, I figured it was better to have the single-hit ones. Besides, Mudoon/Hamaon connect 60% of the time, while Mamudoon/Mahamaon only connect 40%.

(or something close to that)

This was pretty much the same reasoning that I used when I kept the single targets over the multi-ones, plus the fact that using the single target ones makes it somewhat more likely that you'll trigger an ally's follow-up attack (since you're hitting more weaknesses), which can save you even more SP.

That, and I never get tired of seeing Galactic Punt.

Ourobolus

Banned
RedBoot said:
This was pretty much the same reasoning that I used when I kept the single targets over the multi-ones, plus the fact that using the single target ones makes it somewhat more likely that you'll trigger an ally's follow-up attack (since you're hitting more weaknesses), which can save you even more SP.

That, and I never get tired of seeing Galactic Punt.

I won't completely deny his logic, though. There were times when I'd hit a fight with 5 enemies, all weak to Hama/Mudo, and I'd just start swearing loudly as I used 75 SP. :lol :lol

ukiraros

Finally I was able to beat
shadow Kanji
. I decided to not to do it on another day, buy stay with full HP for everyone, full SP for MC, and 1 snuff soul and 3 TaP Soda for yukiko as healer. Man winning that battle was pure luck.

Adam Prime said:
Yes I just had sex with Chie. I love the music when you hit a max S.Link! :lol

What the hell is this? A fantasy or did I just read a spoiler?

S. L.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
i was playing some persona 4... suddenly i got artifacts and now my ps3 is dead/gets artifacts everywhere.
:( :( :( :( my ps3 got SMTed

ukiraros

Wait, so in order to have sex with the girls you have to have a max social link with them? Damn this game is awesome.

You can only do it with one girl right or as many as you can?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ukiraros said:
Wait, so in order to have sex with the girls you have to have a max social link with them? Damn this game is awesome.

You can only do it with one girl right or as many as you can?

All of them. And if your Understanding is high enough, at the same time!

Varna

Adam Prime said:
All of them. And if your Understanding is high enough, at the same time!

Explain?

Kind of lame if you can pull this crap again. I thought P4 had the option to finish a social link as a friend only... and I could have sworn there was some sort of incentive to only date one.

noi5e

observation about the true ending:

When I saw that Adachi's persona was Bizarro Izanagi, I thought the game was going to build up to a fight against Shadow Yourself. It's kind of cliched, but it gels with what your teammates go through... and it's certainly a lot better than DEFEAT THE UGLY THING. SAVE THE WORLD.

Man, after coming down from Expert Mode, Normal is like a vacation. Nothing to do but go fishing and chill, occasionally kill things with Trumpeter.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ukiraros said:
Finally I was able to beat
shadow Kanji
. I decided to not to do it on another day, buy stay with full HP for everyone, full SP for MC, and 1 snuff soul and 3 TaP Soda for yukiko as healer. Man winning that battle was pure luck.

Yeah that was by far my toughest boss battle so far in the game. After this it was smooth sailing because I had the Fox S.Link pretty high and healing was no longer a real issue. Just go through some old dungeons if you're ever strapped for cash to heal.

Tamanon

Banned
Varna said:
Explain?

Kind of lame if you can pull this crap again. I thought P4 had the option to finish a social link as a friend only... and I could have sworn there was some sort of incentive to only date one.

You can do friend only if you want to. Each girl has a friend branch and a serious branch. You can even avoid dating anybody or everybody.

He was joking about the Understanding stuff though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Varna said:
Explain?

:lol I'm just messing with yall about the sex. When you get a max S.Link with a girl you get an ambigous line about what you guys do next and the screen goes black.

Unlike P3, in this game you can't make the other girls jealous for "dating" another one. So yeah, you can be dating them all at the same time in the game with no negative consequences.

Varna

Adam Prime said:
Yeah, I have mine up to Rank 9 and it's a world of a difference. Especially in the later dungeons if you are making good cash, then whatever the Fox asks of you is going to seem like chump change.

Be sure to run through other dungeons once or twice just to make some money. There's no reason you shouldn't have at least over 100,000 yen by the third dungeon.

Really..? I've managed to stay on top of gear and items but I just started the third dungeon and I don't have anywhere near that amount. I am playing on hard though so I don't know if items are marked up... plus I've been taking it easy since the last dungeon. I manage to defeat the extra boss right after the story events so I figured that was a good indicator that I was at a decent level for the next dungeon.

I know Adam, I've finished P3. I think it's pretty stupid you can do it now with no consequence at all.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Well there ya go, you're playing on Expert and I'm on Normal. Although now I wish I had played on Expert... I dunno. I am dying A LOT less than I did on Persona 3. And I guess that's probably a good thing. I really hate playing for two hours in a dungeon and then getting KO'd by some random enemy and lose all progress. The game is still challenging, but now just less frustrating.

I think the No-Reverse S.Link thing is alright. It's less "realistic" but a lot less tedious. I remember I had to look up guides to see what I was "supposed" to say to keep the girls from getting pissed off at me more when I was in Reverse. :p

Top Bottom