• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Dungeon 5 is great.

I love the motif. Definitely a lot different than the previous four.

Only downside is it feels pretty easy so far. Maybe I wound up overleveling between my struggles with the previous boss, and then the second run through to beat the optional boss.

firex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Dungeon 5 is great.

I love the motif. Definitely a lot different than the previous four.

Only downside is it feels pretty easy so far. Maybe I wound up overleveling between my struggles with the previous boss, and then the second run through to beat the optional boss.
nah, it's definitely easier than the 4th dungeon.

also, I hope Red Scarlet doesn't turn the music off for dungeons 4 and on. I totally understand not listening to the awful music in dungeons 2 and 3 (dungeon 1's music is all right imo) but 4 and on return to good music. In fact, I spent a couple hours idling in dungeon 6 just so I could keep hearing the music uninterrupted.

Tenks

Red Blaster said:
Alright, what's a good method to destroy that
bitch Mitsuo, I was doing great until he went back into 8-bit form, cast exhaustion on the MC and then scored 500 points of damage with a dyne spell. What a dick.

You may also consider fusing a Black Frost. Mind Charge + his Agi spell was dealing around 500 damage to him iirc.

beat it. good game.... but the endgame & ending could have been better.

im glad i never glanced at any spoiler-ridden threads like this one.

next up: devil summoner 2? i do hope so.

Tenks

Augemitbutter said:
beat it. good game.... but the endgame & ending could have been better.

im glad i never glanced at any spoiler-ridden threads like this one.

next up: devil summoner 2? i do hope so.

I thought people did a pretty good job of hiding spoilers for the most part.

***Do not read ENDGAME spoiler***
Atlus, however, did not. Fuck you for putting Adachi's shadow portrait - completely ruined the investigation. I'd like to think I could have pieced the identity together myself but after seeing that portrait it was fairly obvious who the culprit was.

Tenks said:

Atlus, however, did not. Fuck you for putting Adachi's shadow portrait - completely ruined the investigation. I'd like to think I could have pieced the identity together myself but after seeing that portrait it was fairly obvious who the culprit was.
There is a pretty clear spoiler warning on the book, not their fault if people still read it afterwards.

Tenks said:

are you talking about the artbook? theres a spoiler-warning at the first page. i didnt look into the artbook until yesterday.

Tenks

Augemitbutter said:
are you talking about the artbook? theres a spoiler-warning at the first page. i didnt look into the artbook until yesterday.

I'm quite aware of this

I figured it would be eventual characters and persona spoilers not massive end-game massive plot-line spoilers. I can understand why they would spoil Naoto's gender because they needed to for the sake of the artbook but putting Adachi's shadow portrait isn't really that required. I just hope in the future they can use a bit more discretion on what to put in there since they know people like me will read it regardless of what the first page says.

Tenks said:
I'm quite aware of this

I figured it would be eventual characters and persona spoilers not massive end-game massive plot-line spoilers. I can understand why they would spoil Naoto's gender because they needed to for the sake of the artbook but putting Adachi's shadow portrait isn't really that required. I just hope in the future they can use a bit more discretion on what to put in there since they know people like me will read it regardless of what the first page says.
Dude, it's an art book that covers everything. It says so, and most people want that. They just don't look at it until it is done.

Blackjack

Tenks said:
I'm quite aware of this

So, the first page warns that there are spoilers for, and I quote here, EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME INCLUDING KEY PLOT POINTS. You see this warning and decide to look through the book anyway. Then, when something is spoiled for you, you decide to blame everyone but yourself.

Way to be.

Started this before bed last night. I... like it? Something seems off. I was a big fan of Persona 3. Maybe it's because I just finished Nocturne a week ago and this is such a change of pace.

+ The little cousin is so adorable.
+ Much more fluid menus.
+ Automatically sell all junk items option.
+ Graphics seem more detailed. PS3 upscaling FTW.
+ Love the music. Subtle but rich.
+ Characters are very charming. Chie's voice is great.
+ Manual control is a must in boss battles and I like to return to auto for normal battles. The option needs to be in more RPGs.

- Rotating the camera with L1/R1 is slow as molasses. I like the buttons better than the right stick in SMT games. Can't remember if it was that way in P3 or not.
- Not being able to automagically heal after returning to the first floor. This is going to be annoying since I prefer to spend a small handful of days grinding for a few hours at a time instead of bite-sized chunks spread inbetween bosses.
- Low frequency of opportunities to draw cards.
- Not enough persona slots at the beginning.
- Elizabeth > Margaret.

Tenks said:
I'm quite aware of this

This is entirely your fault and Atlus is not to blame for this.

Vorador

Banned
P90 said:
How about a paperclip with pop ups? ;)

officeassistantwant-f34.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a few hours in, just reached the boss of the first dungeon and on my first try I held in there for a while but pretty soon
my main got low on SP and I missed a casting of red wall on Chie, after which the boss' AOE pretty much just spanked me.
Now that I know what to expect, I don't think I'll have much trouble on try number 2. A few quick thoughts -

1. You can really see a lot of polish over Persona 3, my GotY last year. I like that you actually become friends with different people depending on the sports team (kind of) or culture club you choose. The Fusion bonuses depending on date are cool. I like that different S-Links boost your different stats. You can just tell that they took a lot of the stuff from P3 that were problems, annoyances, or even just lost opportunities and fixed them.
2. Ah, it feels good to have difficulty again. I've already died twice; once on the boss as mentioned, and once against some Positive Kings. Those bastards can get out of hand REAL quick before you figure out their weakness, and the Secret Bambinos they summon hit pretty hard and seem to crit a LOT.
3. Teddy chimes in a liiiiiittle bit too often imo, particularly in battle. He's had a few good lines so far, but I don't need him cheerleading with his high ass voice every time I knock someone down, particularly when I'm hitting a whole group individually with single target spells. I don't get the lovefest that some people are having with him so far, but again, I'm only about 5 hours in or so.
4. The nephew singing that damn Junes song is annoying as hell. They could have at least tried to come up with a jingle that was catchy instead of just spending 5 seconds on it and moving on.
5. Only bad voice acting I've noticed is Margaret. Her tone just doesn't seem to fit what she's saying a lot of the time. Seems a bit wooden.

::edit::
Goes back to #1, I guess, but I love the new shuffle system. I really enjoyed the one in P3 as well, but it felt way too easy overall. I basically never missed in P3, and while I only missed once in P4 (on my second or third try at it), it just feels like more of an accomplishment when you hit. Wish there were more options of stuff to win, though, like the XP bonuses or healing that they had in P3.

Tenks

Vorador said:
There's like
three
different endings, so which one? :lol

I was kind of wondering the same because without a guide its kind of hard to get the true ending all by yourself.

Yaweee

Darkman M said:
With the right equipment his electricity magic is decent he's no Yukiko in that department but he gets the job done as a damage dealer either ways.

They both get Dyne, Amp, and Boost. I don't think Yukiko's magic stat being several times higher than Kanji's even results in a 50% damage bonus, but I could be wrong.

Monroeski said:
::edit::
Goes back to #1, I guess, but I love the new shuffle system. I really enjoyed the one in P3 as well, but it felt way too easy overall. I basically never missed in P3, and while I only missed once in P4 (on my second or third try at it), it just feels like more of an accomplishment when you hit. Wish there were more options of stuff to win, though, like the XP bonuses or healing that they had in P3.

Later on you get Arcana Chance after shuffling which is similar to the XP/Money bonuses in the P3.

Just made a Black Frost, damn this thing's a beast.

Vorador

Banned
Tenks said:
I was kind of wondering the same because without a guide its kind of hard to get the true ending all by yourself.

Yeah, first time by myself i got the Normal one yesterday
Bad Ending is pretty much noticeable since you mess up on convencing Yosuke to let it go
, now to get the True Ending.

PS:

Yaweee said:
They both get Dyne, Amp, and Boost. I don't think Yukiko's magic stat being several times higher than Kanji's even results in a 50% damage bonus, but I could be wrong.

Yukiko has a lot more SP, and delivers more damage with Fire Amp and Boost. Kanji is more of a brawler, but he never delivers as much as Chie thanks to Chie's Power Charge.

Tenks

Vorador said:
Yeah, first time by myself i got the Normal one yesterday
Bad Ending is pretty much noticeable since you mess up on convencing Yosuke to let it go
, now to get the True Ending.

Yeah it was pretty obvious that the bad ending route would be the terrible one. Similar to when you could kill Death in P3 and got that ending. I'm watching the Bad one on YouTube right now and since I haven't beaten the game yet (I looked at the guide for true) I'll just watch normal there once I finish it up.

Also I was pretty happy that with just a few retrys I manged to move all of Tam Lin's auto skills over to a new persona. Forget the name but its some damage dealing Devil link one. I swear those autos are a awesome.

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't think it's *impossible* to figure out how to get the true ending on your own. First off, you don't max the
Judgment
S Link until you beat
Ameno-sagiri
, so that should clue the player in that there has got to be more to the game. Now, knowing to go back to Junes and click twice? That's a bit of a jump, but everything after that you can figure out simply enough.

Vorador

Banned
It's not impossible, but unlike
the Bad Ending were you're presented with an obviously bad moral choice and a good one, the game favours strongly the Normal Ending over the True Ending, it's easy to eat up the Normal one since the plot is "finished" at that point, the bad guy is already been caught and everyone is back to their normal lives, plus there's no in-game hint there's more beyond that point

Tenks

Ourobolus said:
I don't think it's *impossible* to figure out how to get the true ending on your own. First off, you don't max the
Judgment
S Link until you beat
Ameno-sagiri
, so that should clue the player in that there has got to be more to the game. Now, knowing to go back to Junes and click twice? That's a bit of a jump, but everything after that you can figure out simply enough.

From the guide I read it said you needed to talk to every L10 SLink you completed to get True? That doesn't seem to intuitive unless there is some dialog towards the end that points the player in that direction.

Tenks said:
From the guide I read it said you needed to talk to every L10 SLink you completed to get True? That doesn't seem to intuitive unless there is some dialog towards the end that points the player in that direction.
Once you do that, it asks if you want to leave, that's when the dungeon opens up. I agree that it's not very intuitive, and I sure as hell missed it, but the fact that you are asked if you want to leave or not after doing everything you could, might make one wonder if there was anything else. Not me though. I just blunder forward.

Ourobolus

Banned
Tenks said:
During the ending, the game says "you should talk to those friends with whom you've made close bonds with" or something to that effect. In fact, it'll keep telling you that after you meet each one, and it'll say, once you've met them all, "you've me all of your friends, do you want to go home?" Then you have the option of saying no.

Vorador

Banned
Ourobolus said:
During the ending, the game says "you should talk to those friends with whom you've made close bonds with" or something to that effect. In fact, it'll keep telling you that after you meet each one, and it'll say, once you've met them all, "you've me all of your friends, do you want to go home?" Then you have the option of saying no.

Yep
also i read that at that point you need to go to Junes, hit the elevator and select "I got some unfinished matters"
then you can
still continue the game onwards the True Ending

Kusagari

Lateraleye said:
- Not being able to automagically heal after returning to the first floor. This is going to be annoying since I prefer to spend a small handful of days grinding for a few hours at a time instead of bite-sized chunks spread inbetween bosses.

You'll soon be able to do exactly that though it comes at a price.

Tamanon

Banned
Tenks said:

Oddly enough, I think the hint is near the beginning.

When first discussing S. Links, Igor tells you that they will help you discover the ultimate truth

Volcynika

Blackjack said:
So, the first page warns that there are spoilers for, and I quote here, EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME INCLUDING KEY PLOT POINTS. You see this warning and decide to look through the book anyway. Then, when something is spoiled for you, you decide to blame everyone but yourself.

Way to be.

Srsly. I wish there was like, an Aram version of notmyproblem.jpg.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
Oddly enough, I think the hint is near the beginning.

When first discussing S. Links, Igor tells you that they will help you discover the ultimate truth

You just need to talk to everybody during the ending, period. You can't get even proceed to the normal ending unless you do so, so it has nothing to do with the true path.

Blackjack

The hint to the true ending is the fact that
about once a month or so, everyone goes "SO HOW DID SENPAI GET HIS PERSONA WE NEVER FIGURED THAT OUT"

So I'm listening to the soundtrack, and it reminded me about something:

***MAJOR SPOILERS***

The Heaven dungeon was completely ruined by the music theme. No, seriously, hear me out! :lol The ridiculously amazing dungeon theme that's so hauntingly energetic/depressed, combined with the pre-dungeon setup, and the dungeon setting, promises a major tear-jerker moment, maybe with Nanako dying. But then it's just like "ohnoez i am being held tightly halp" followed by a shitty, easy bossfight.

What ended up happening isn't even that bad, but the music is so damn epic that I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed.

GriffD17

I'm certainly enjoying my first SMT game. I've already dropped a healthy chunk of time into this beast. Currently at
the bathhouse
and with 14 hours put in. I still don't know if I'm doing things right or not in regards to the fusing. I usually fuse simply to get rid of personas to make room for some more card draws. But I just recently got a decent one so my hopes are up.

Tamanon

Banned
GriffD17 said:
I'm certainly enjoying my first SMT game. I've already dropped a healthy chunk of time into this beast. Currently at
the bathhouse
and with 14 hours put in. I still don't know if I'm doing things right or not in regards to the fusing. I usually fuse simply to get rid of personas to make room for some more card draws. But I just recently got a decent one so my hopes are up.

Early on, yeah that's about what fusing is. Once you get to the third or fourth dungeon, you start getting better skills and resistances so you can tailor your fusions a lot more to make more specialized personas.

Unknown Soldier said:
I hate ordering stuff from Play-Asia, they always take forever to ship.

U-U-U-Uwa!
Honestly, the fact that it was backordered made me surprised to get the confirmation so soon. I only put in the order a week or so ago.

And Red, congrats on getting into Yukiko's pants. Who's your next target, again?

johnsmith

remember me
Vorador said:
Yukiko has a lot more SP, and delivers more damage with Fire Amp and Boost. Kanji is more of a brawler, but he never delivers as much as Chie thanks to Chie's Power Charge.

Kanji's a jack of all trades. While he's definitely not top tier magic damage, he's definitely a better magic user than Chie, who never gets a spell higher than mabufu or boost, amp, or break.

Red Scarlet

Rise, but that can't start yet. So maybe Chie. I still can't do the tutoring job nor hospital. :/

And this was the Persona I was talking about yesterday...but Messiah doesn't start with a P. :lol

rd.png

johnsmith said:
Kanji's a jack of all trades. While he's definitely not top tier magic damage, he's definitely a better magic user than Chie, who never gets a spell higher than mabufu or boost, amp, or buff.
Kanji's a Red Mage in terms of offense, but the fact that he has very little in terms of support skills hamper him greatly. It also doesn't help that the MC is far, far better at being a Red Mage than he is, thanks to your massive Persona compendium.

He's definitely the weakest character on your team, unfortunately, though that doesn't make me like him any less. At least his Follow-Up attack is absolutely devastating.

Red Scarlet said:
Rise, but that can't start yet. So maybe Chie. I still can't do the tutoring job nor hospital. :/

And this was the Persona I was talking about yesterday...but Messiah doesn't start with a P. :lol

rd.png
Wow, he does look like P3's MC. Never saw him, I think I missed one of the key S. Links (Star) that created the persona needed to fuse a few of those ubers. Perhaps I should start a second playthrough soon. Or finish The Answer. Both of those seem like good things to do...

johnsmith

remember me
RocketDarkness said:
Kanji's a Red Mage in terms of offense, but the fact that he has very little in terms of support skills hamper him greatly. It also doesn't help that the MC is far, far better at being a Red Mage than he is, thanks to your massive Persona compendium.

He's definitely the weakest character on your team, unfortunately, though that doesn't make me like him any less. At least his Follow-Up attack is absolutely devastating.

I'd put him above Naoto, since he just sucks at boss fights. At least he's got Matarukaja. Use him and Teddie and Yosuke and Trumpeter with debilitate on the MC and you can have a fully buffed party and fully debuffed enemy in a single turn which will tear through all the bosses.

Blackjack

RocketDarkness said:

And the MC is better at being a healer than Yukiko or Teddie, and better at being an offensive mage than Yukiko or Yosuke, etc etc. Comparing the characters to the MC is absolutely pointless.

Naoto is BY FAR the worst in the game. Instakills are only really useful on things that are weak to them and/or null/reflect/absorb everything else. With the added bonus of not taking Naoto means you can have a character that doesn't suck at fighting bosses.

EDIT: On Naoto and spoilers
JUST USE MASCULINE PRONOUNS, JESUS. Spoiling the word 'she' and nothing else is kind of hilariously pointless.

Blackjack said:
And the MC is better at being a healer than Yukiko or Teddie, and better at being an offensive mage than Yukiko or Yosuke, etc etc. Comparing the characters to the MC is absolutely pointless.

Naoto is BY FAR the worst in the game. Instakills are only really useful on things that are weak to them and/or null/reflect/absorb everything else. With the added bonus of not taking Naoto means you can have a character that doesn't suck at fighting bosses.
Naoto's lousy at boss fights, yes, but he makes dungeon crawling a breeeeeeeeze. I tossed him the Chakra Ring, and combined with Relaxing Wave, he's usually able to kill everything and end up with very little, if any, SP gone at the end of the battle. He's got a constant spot in my party for dungeon crawling. Especially the dungeons with Gold Hands that have ridiculously large amounts of HP. Hamaon + Hama Boost = 18k yen for 7 SP, and it's missed ONCE out of maybe 10 hands. Might just be me, but Light/Dark magic seems far more useful in P4 compared to 3.

What I meant in my conjecture concerning Kanji was that I almost always choose my party members for specific purposes, meaning that he's in direct competition with the MC most of the time. The other characters can at least deal fairly respectable damage with their elemental spells. Kaji was hitting for single-digits against enemies weak to his element, and he certainly wasn't underleveled at the time. Eh...I dunno. Kanji. Meh.

He's still awesome characterwise, though!

johnsmith

remember me
RocketDarkness said:
Kaji was hitting for single-digits against enemies weak to his element, and he certainly wasn't underleveled at the time.

What? On all enemies? Are you sure it wasn't on some magic resistant enemies. Even Chie was doing 100 damage with mabufu at the end, and this was without ice boost or ice amp. I don't see how Kanji could do less than that with Maziodyne and elec boost and elec amp even with a crappy magic stat.

Top Bottom