• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.
OLUs7os.png

lol 5 months guys, such a long time...

It's funny sad. The game is now 5 months away.
And the last time the game was 5 months away. Was when it launched in Japan...

Well, shit. At least we get dual audio... That's something...

I should've learned to read moonrunes by now. Maybe I'll learn them by the next delay.

YES!! Thank fuck I've been too busy to bother buying the Japanese version. Now that it has Japanese audio, I'll just wait for the EU version.

Lucent

The only brightside to this is that I have more time for Ni-Oh and can now squeeze in NieR Automata, but it still sucks considering the game seems to be pretty much done as far as localisation goes? Gawsh.

My reaction, too. I can play Ni-Oh. And RE7 if I'm still on that. Lol. And Horizon. Sucks, but at least we get dual audio and free dynamic theme. Lol.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fuck Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!

I could have handled any other delay but not P5.

Punished Bronetta
A Fallen Persona Fan

Dio

Banned
Lol nope. Persona 5 threads will always eventually devolve into a Sub vs. Dub debate. Look at what the primary discussion is about. We got one user thinking dubs are for 12 year olds and another who thinks
deludes himself
into thinking the Persona 3 and 4 dubs were subpar. Speaking of which:

So here's a fun fact. You know those anime dub voice actors you were ragging on just a moment ago? Well they just happen to also be a part of the same stellar-sounding dubs you were just praising including:

I could go on but I think I've proven my point on how you should make sure you know what you're talking about before making such statements.

Then why did they sound so crappy in Persona? Maybe it's the voice direction, then.

Sophia

No you are remembering correctly. I can even post the date that I took that picture if anyone wants proof or whatever.

I don't know if they ever said 2014 for US or not. But the picture you linked shows a URL to the Persona Channel, which I'm pretty sure has never had an equivalent on the US website?

jrcbandit

I might purchase Nioh or For Honor now. Was already going to get Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn for sure and likely Nier: Automata. February was so stacked...

FluxWaveZ

No you are remembering correctly. I can even post the date that I took that picture if anyone wants proof or whatever.

Post the date. I follow this stuff religiously, so I know the localization announcement for Persona 5 was first confirmed on February 25, 2014, where they gave a 2015 PS3 release window. You are wrong.

Oh thank god - it was right up against so many other big games.

I'm actually happy it's been delayed cos a) the delay is small and b) I can now put aside time to play Horizon and For Honor instead of having those overshadowed by P5.

Plus, if it carves out its own nook in April, they'll likely get more sales from lack of competition.

Good News more than bad IMO.

NastyBook

Good. They got out of the way of the early year killers. I can't think of anything else interesting in April. Good spot for them.

Zalusithix

Hmmm, maybe? I have watched a lot of subtitled foreign films though. I feel like it might be more of a problem in a live action medium. Cartoony anime Japan doesn't set off alarm bells; but if Persona were a photo realistic TV series it'd certainly be strange if people were speaking English...

I can see how you'd have a different view of real life vs anime. My exposure to anime more or less began with Japanese and subs, so anything of that style is relatively hard coded in my brain to expect Japanese. I could offset that expectation to a certain extent for things obviously not set in Japan, but once the location is Japan, I just can't turn off the "this is wrong" signals lol.

That said, my preference for Japanese audio in Japanese games also comes from a preference to have things as close to the source as possible (without needing to learn to read/write the language). I'm not a fan of heavy localization and enforcing western ideals, etc.

Maybesew

What a bummer. I'm fine with delays for better quality, but I was really looking forward to this in February. And could care less about this free DLC.

convo

The only brightside to this is that I have more time for Ni-Oh and can now squeeze in NieR Automata, but it still sucks considering the game seems to be pretty much done as far as localisation goes? Gawsh.

No the delay does seem to be about getting the script and localization down correctly. I don't mind them going it over more, there are scenes that deserve/need some care put into them.

You're both misremembering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfaPgl8N8E

The English website did not link to the "Persona Channel." Think about it: that doesn't make any sense at all.
It is weird but I'm REALLY positive that I took that from their US site. I remember being so excited that the game might actually come out in 2014 in NA and I posted about it liked crazy on one of out local gaming forums. Pitting it against DA:I and other 2014 games saying that it will have a chance at being GOTY and all that.

Post the date. I follow this stuff religiously, so I know the localization announcement for Persona 5 was first confirmed on February 25, 2014, where they gave a 2015 PS3 release window. You are wrong.
Here you go:

I'm OK with this. Dual VA lessens the sting.

If NieR gets delayed, though...heads will roll.

Well, it's worth keeping in mind that Square hasn't actually dated Nier in the US. Its February release is only for Japan as of now. Otherwise it's just set for "2017" everywhere else.

Oh I can't fucking believe this. Give me a goddamn break!
I'm so fucking tired of waiting for this game.
Why does this shit have to happen with one of my most anticipated games ever?
Fuck this.

FluxWaveZ

It is weird but I'm REALLY positive that I took that from their US site. I remember being so excited that the game might actually come out in 2014 in NA and I posted about it liked crazy on one of out local gaming forums. Pitting it against DA:I and other 2014 games saying that it will have a chance at being GOTY and all that.

The reason you're confused is the same reason everyone else is: at the time, everyone saw the Japanese website and immediately got tunnel vision and assumed it would be a worldwide release, and that "Winter 2014" included North America. That was NEVER the case, and I remember telling people that at the time.

Atlus USA came out and gave their very first release window for P5 in English as "2015."

Mediking

I have calmed down and I have something to say...... Everything is gonna be okay. Let's relax. It's good to vent your frustrations but the feeling will pass. I'm not that upset anymore and I was screaming and shouting earlier.

YES! Japanese voices!

I have been waiting a long time for this game, I can wait 6 weeks more. It is not like I won't have games to play on march, given how crazily good Q1 of 2017 is going to be

LordKano

I have calmed down and I have something to say...... Everything is gonna be okay. Let's relax. It's good to vent your frustrations but the feeling will pass. I'm not that upset anymore and I was screaming and shouting earlier.

Okay maybe you were the one who actually needed to relax a lot.

Hylian7

What's "funny" is that the SMTIVA localization was half-assed in the end.

They should stop trying to act cool and start to really work on their own damn games.

A few bugs slipping through QA isn't something I would consider "half-assed" IMO. If you want half-assed, try

I'm glad they did SMTIVA first, I can live another two months for P5. No big deal to me. I'm glad they actually localized the games in the order they released in Japan.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The reason you're confused is the same reason everyone else is: at the time, everyone saw the Japanese website and immediately got tunnel vision and assumed it would be a worldwide release, and that "Winter 2014" included North America. That was NEVER the case, and I remember telling people that at the time.

Atlus USA came out and gave their very first release window for P5 in English as "2015."

To be fair, the Winter 2014 season could cover Dec 2014 - Mar 2015 (the original US date could have fallen in that window). Otherwise, why even bother with using the term Winter and just say Late December 2014?

FluxWaveZ

To be fair, the Winter 2014 season could cover Dec 2014 - Mar 2015. Otherwise, why even bother with the term and just say Late December 2014?

Yeah, that was the hope at the time. Atlus did the same with Catherine (Winter 2010 window to Q1 2011 release), so even I was one of those speculating that Winter 2014 could actually mean "Q1 2015," and that it could intersect with NA's "2015" to mean a WW release.

Yet, here we are.

convo

I'm no game dev, but why the hell wasn't the English translation team working on it during development?

Because the Persona team in japan was probably only preparing it for the JP-release and only after that were they gonna implement any changes needed for a western release.
Their team is still small
During mass production, the number of staff members was approximately 70 people: 15 planners, 15 programmers and at least 30 to 45 designers.
http://personacentral.com/persona-5-developer-interview-graphics-modeling/

Considering how packed february is, i think this is good thing.

I'd rather have everything else delayed instead of P5. That's absolutely no comfort for someone who was going to get P5 on release and leave everything else for later.
I haven't suffered through several years of wait + several delays with the other games, I'm just so tired of this crap, these days you can't trust a release day until you have the game in your hands.
I don't give a damn about Japanese voices when I have a good dub in a language I can actually understand.

If the release window for western version was announced at February 2014 for "2015", then how is it that I captured that pic in the following April saying "Winter 2014"? I'm genuinely more confused right now.

Top Bottom