• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrBS

Honestly any games from Q1 getting delayed right now makes me happy. Sure I want to play P5 but I'll manage. Roll on April.

Meia

The Atlus USA president literally stated that it was due to localization concerns/touching up aspects of the english script and/or localization..

Now, whether or not you think that's valid or not is up to you, but it's not due to the dual audio inclusion pushing things back, as far as we've been told.

I do distinctly remember how adamant they were about a 2015 or 2016 release too. If you don't think the idea of dual audio, something they've never done before, doesn't cause some extra work on their hands, you're nuts.

Wasn't TMS like they're only subbed game, and that in itself had a slew of problems? Is it hard to believe they're going to try not having the issues that had in this one, and that'll take more dev time to figure out? It's not hard to see why this could cause a delay...

Zalusithix

See, I understand what you're saying. I get why it would be jarring.

But for me when I play any game, regardless of setting, I don't think of the characters speaking English so much as talking words. So I don't get that issue playing Persona cus my brain doesn't flag it up like ERROR: Japanese people speaking English?

Totally an assumption on my end, but possibly because you've spent your life with most everything you've ever watched / listened to in English? Heck, many Americans can go their entire lives without hearing anybody speak something other than English (those that live away from the borders/coasts). If you're never exposed to anything else with any sort of regularity, then those flags will never go up.

convo

The Atlus USA president literally stated that it was due to localization concerns/touching up aspects of the english script and/or localization..

Now, whether or not you think that's valid or not is up to you, but it's not due to the dual audio inclusion pushing things back, as far as we've been told.

This is a good reason, it's really important to get that right in this game in particular. Yakuza0, Gravity Daze 2 and Horizon will take up my time during those months so it is what it is.

The game was never announced for a 2014 Western release date.
I snapped this pic myself from Atlus USA site three years ago.
aARzGq4.jpg

It was highly unlikely to begin with but they did put it on their site.

cj_iwakura

The new Working Designs.

Hopefully now people who kept derailing threads about Japanese dub and dual audio can pipe down.

There, happy?

Lol nope. Persona 5 threads will always eventually devolve into a Sub vs. Dub debate. Look at what the primary discussion is about. We got one user thinking dubs are for 12 year olds and another who thinks
deludes himself
into thinking the Persona 3 and 4 dubs were subpar. Speaking of which:

Nah. 8-4 is good. XSEED's good. Atlus just seems to hire anime dub voice actors a lot, and they rarely ever sound as good as companies a fraction of their size ending up with fucking stellar-sounding dubs (see: Trails of Cold Steel I and II and Nier and Drakengard 3.)

So here's a fun fact. You know those anime dub voice actors you were ragging on just a moment ago? Well they just happen to also be a part of the same stellar-sounding dubs you were just praising including:

Laura Bailey: Rise in Persona 4 and Kainé in Nier
Liam O'Brien: Akihiko in Persona 3, Cent in Drakengard 3 and Grimoire Weiss in Nier
Tara Platt: Mitsuru in Persona 3 and Zero in Drakengard 3.
Yuri Lowenthal: the Male protagonist in Persona 3 and Youske in Persona 4 in addition to Dito in Drakengard 3
Derek Stephen Prince: Tayaka in Persona 3, and Naoki in Persona 4 as well as Patrick T. Hyarms in Trails of Cold Steel.

I could go on but I think I've proven my point on how you should make sure you know what you're talking about before making such statements.

VegiHam

Totally an assumption on my end, but possibly because you've spent your life with most everything you've ever watched / listened to in English? Heck, many Americans can go their entire lives without hearing anybody speak something other than English (those that live away from the borders/coasts). If you're never exposed to anything else with any sort of regularity, then those flags will never go up.

Hmmm, maybe? I have watched a lot of subtitled foreign films though. I feel like it might be more of a problem in a live action medium. Cartoony anime Japan doesn't set off alarm bells; but if Persona were a photo realistic TV series it'd certainly be strange if people were speaking English...

Fuck sake, the only way I'll be remotely pleased with this is if it gets ported to Switch and launches on there the same day as the PS4 (I know, it's not happening)

Strimei

So the rumor was true.

On the one hand, god damn it, yet another delay?!

On the other, good of them that the dual audio is free. Hopefully this shuts up anyone complaining about voices.

RPGCrazied

Lol. This game is never coming out. Oh well, we live in a time now that every game gets delayed several times. Its just how it goes.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
We've been told ALOT of different things over the last couple years.

I do distinctly remember how adamant they were about a 2015 or 2016 release too. If you don't think the idea of dual audio, something they've never done before, doesn't cause some extra work on their hands, you're nuts.

A significant amount of that was Hardin/the PR team, and I think it's become apparent how little they either know or are allowed to say in regards to the narrative of the game's release.

I would put at least a little more credibility on the Atlus USA president stating it. Not necessarily a lot, but at least some.

Wasn't TMS like they're only subbed game, and that in itself had a slew of problems? Is it hard to believe they're going to try not having the issues that had in this one, and that'll take more dev time to figure out? It's not hard to see why this could cause a delay...

I mean, the game would be subbed either way....the difference is the dub-track.

I don't doubt that the localization process is taking longer than expected, but I don't know if we can squarely pin it on adding the JPN dub-track.

SeanTSC

100% totally fine with this. This is what my Jan/Feb buy list looked like:

01/20: Gravity Rush 2
01/24: Tales of Berseria (super crazy sad I couldn't get a CE pre-order in on Amazon/BB)
01/24: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
01/24: Resident Evil 7

02/09: Nioh
02/14: Persona 5
02/14: For Honor
02/28: Horizon Zero Dawn

And that's AFTER crossing a couple games out that I wanted. Please, please spread shit out more. I'm glad this is pushed to April.

I don't think NA will get NieR Automata in February, and Horizon will probably get a delay.

Feb- March is kind of empty for me right now. In terms of confirmed releases RE7 is about it for me until April.

Not even phased. I'm actually laughing. This is like the The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV where you just stop caring after awhile.

convo

So here's a fun fact. You know those anime dub voice actors you were ragging on just a moment ago? Well they just happen to also be a part of the stellar-sounding dubs you were praising including:

Laura Bailey: Rise in Persona 4 and Kainé in Nier
Liam O'Brien: Akihiko in Persona 3, Cent in Drakengard 3 and Grimoire Weiss in Nier
Tara Platt: Mitsuru in Persona 3 and Zero in Drakengard 3.
Yuri Lowenthal: the Male protagonist in Persona 3 and Youske in Persona 4 in addition to Dito in Drakengard 3
Derek Stephen Prince: Tayaka in Persona 3, and Naoki in Persona 4 as well as Patrick T. Hyarms in Trails of Cold Steel.

I could go on but I think I've proven my point on how you should make sure you know what you're talking about before making such statements.

I sure don't have enough burn.gifs for this amount of burn. People sure are getting crazy not getting their games. Maybe people will get mad enough that they'll prefer real-time combat and be disappointed that P5 isn't when it comes out.

Top Bottom