• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Mystic Distance on twitter mentioned that the prices of weapons and equipment were a bit high. Didn't seem to be a major problem, but was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

Does Persona 5 have as much downtime as Persona 4 in between dungeons?

I am deep into the 3rd dungeon. I feel like p5 has MORE down time compared to 3 an 4.

I feel like I spent 80% of my time out of dungeons.

There was a gap betwwen the area 2 and 3 story arcs that was so many weeks long, that I was worried I was doing something wrong! But finally the story picked back up.

.JayZii

Banned
I am deep into the 3rd dungeon. I feel like p5 has MORE down time compared to 3 an 4.

There was a gap betwwen the area 2 and 3 story arcs that was so many weeks long, that I was worried I was doing something wrong! But finally the story picked back up.
80% sounds about right for how I play these games. I would only spend a few days a month dungeon crawling.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Uuuuh, did you at least do some interesting things in those weeks?

Lynx_7

I'm a bit wary of people complaining about equipment prices in JRPGs because a lot of people also have this impulse to grind for gold in order to buy every single new piece of equipment all at once when that should never be a necessity. I only buy what I can afford and even in the higher difficulties that generally proves to be enough, even in games where people complain about money being scarce such as SMT IV.
I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

barybll

Banned
I'm a bit wary of people complaining about equipment prices in JRPGs because a lot of people also have this impulse to grind for gold in order tp buy every single new piece of equipment all ar once when that should never be a necessity. I only buy what I can afford and even in the higher difficulties that generally proves to be enough, even in games where people complain about money being scarce such as SMT IV.
I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

Well it would be a nice contrast to p4, in which you reach the end with a fortune big enough to solve japan's deflation

Shouta

I totally disagree. There's way less down time than in P3 or P4 for the most part and I just finished dungeon 4. The 4th one was the first time I had a lot of extra time but the first 3 dungeons gave you 2-3 weeks maximum to do which was not very much time at all.

When you combine the story dungeons and Mementos, there's always some kind of dungeon to do. It was a very smart idea of the devs to include both in the game this time.

I spend like 80% of the calendar days outside of dungeons, but probably 50% of my play time in dungeons.

This is probably closer to the truth more than anything, lol.

Also, equipment prices are a little high until you learn the tricks to earning money in the game. =)

Mystic Distance on twitter mentioned that the prices of weapons and equipment were a bit high. Didn't seem to be a major problem, but was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

This is true BUT you can complete the dongeon with some smart planning and management , so you don't NEED to buy every equipment that becomes available. You can also unlock late equipement early if you do some s link and those aren't meant to be used early hence the high price.

i think the game 's correctly balanced

B00TE

Really hoping my copy ships from Play-Asia tomorrow. Noticed the page for it says shipping October 6th now, though my page still says shipping on the 20th, gonna guess they are hugely backed up on last minute preorders (like myself).

convo

Are prices and the money you get in battle tied to the difficulty setting at all? Haven't really looked around for translated descriptions of those.

Zebetite

Banned
This line of conversation has me wondering now: what's the point, ultimately, of Mementos? Do you get anything essential, or is it just optional stuff for extra exp, money, items? Do you get enough of that stuff in the story dungeons for Mementos to be truly optional, or 'optional'?

I guess what I'm asking is how much do the people farther along (and who can understand what they're getting for their troubles) feel one should be balancing time spent there vs doing co-ops, since in P3 and P4 you really wanted to try cramming dungeon stuff into a single day, and I don't know enough about Mementos to know that that's actually possible here (if there are time gates, and what they're like).

raven777

Are prices and the money you get in battle tied to the difficulty setting at all? Haven't really looked around for translated descriptions of those.

not sure about prices, but the money you get from battle is tied to the difficulty as far as I know.

muteki

I would be curious to know as well what sidequests end up truly worth it.

I'm reminded my playtime in P4G is so long due to sinking time into sidequests and in the end I felt like I got relatively useless rewards for doing so. Not talking NG+ or later.

Shouta

35 hours in. Three dungeons down. Loving it. Best game.

It seems like the party's relationship is more P3 than P4. Is this accurate?

It's a mix of both. They get along very well and have their own dynamics going but they're connected to each through shared experience and feelings.

This line of conversation has me wondering now: what's the point, ultimately, of Mementos? Do you get anything essential, or is it just optional stuff for extra exp, money, items? Do you get enough of that stuff in the story dungeons for Mementos to be truly optional, or 'optional'?

I guess what I'm asking is how much do the people farther along (and who can understand what they're getting for their troubles) feel one should be balancing time spent there vs doing co-ops, since in P3 and P4 you really wanted to try cramming dungeon stuff into a single day, and I don't know enough about Mementos to know that that's actually possible here (if there are time gates, and what they're like).

Mementos is designed to be the place the player can go to between story dungeons if they want to get loot or level up. From a story perspective, there's a purpose to it. Whether or not exploring Mementos pays off at the end, dunno, lol.

It's a mix of both. They get along very well and have their own dynamics going but they're connected to each through shared experience and feelings.

Mementos is designed to be the place the player can go to between story dungeons if they want to get loot or level up. From a story perspective, there's a purpose to it. Whether or not exploring Mementos pays off at the end, dunno, lol.

Does it take in game time to do this Mementos stuff?

aravuus

What difficulty levels are there, btw? Anything as crazy as P4G's very easy that was for all intents and purposes a god mode?

Never really liked the combat in P3 and P4 so I certainly wouldn't mind having a super easy mode too.

artsi

Does it take in game time to do this Mementos stuff?

Yeah, it's the same as going to the dungeon.

What difficulty levels are there, btw? Anything as crazy as P4G's very easy that was for all intents and purposes a god mode?

Never really liked the combat in P3 and P4 so I certainly wouldn't mind having a super easy mode too.

Safety
Easy
Normal
Hard
Challenge (unlockable, somehow)

EDIT: Safety was unlocked from the beginning, my bad.

This is true BUT you can complete the dongeon with some smart planning and management , so you don't NEED to buy every equipment that becomes available. You can also unlock late equipement early if you do some s link and those aren't meant to be used early hence the high price.

i think the game 's correctly balanced
That's more or less in line with what I think about the weapon prices. I only really purchase new weapons and armor before a boss battle or when I accumulate enough money to upgrade everything at one time.

Shouta

Yeah, it's the same as going to the dungeon.

Yep. And as long as you stay in there, time doesn't pass so you can explore it as much as you want. You'll still need to go in multiple times because of missions but it's not any different than going to the story dungeons.

Mementos = Tartarus essentially.

Xypher

Yeah, there is safety mode which gives more exp and money, and you deal ridiculous amounts of damage.

_Ryo_

Can you revisit completed story dungeons in this game like you can in Persona 3 and 4?

Or do they disappear
Do palaces disappear once the group "steal" the targets "heart".
?

If they do disappear I can see why Mementos is needed.

aravuus

Safety
Easy
Normal
Hard
Challenge (unlockable, somehow)

EDIT: Safety was unlocked from the beginning, my bad.

Yeah, there is safety mode which gives more exp and money, and you deal ridiculous amounts of damage.

Awesome, thanks! Probably gonna shamelessly go with safety straight away, depending on how busy I'm with work and school in February.

Be careful with safety difficulty. Once you choose safety, you can't change the difficulty setting forever.

Hope that doesn't mean they're locking content behind difficulty levels

wmlk

Mementos sound like a bore tbh. Especially if the dungeon design isn't as good. Hopefully I can get through without ever going through any.

raven777

Mementos sound like a bore tbh. Especially if the dungeon design isn't as good. Hopefully I can get through without ever going through any.

I think you need to at least go there once for the first time. But it's super short and took me about 5 minutes.

Xypher

Awesome, thanks! Probably gonna shamelessly go with safety straight away, depending on how busy I'm with work and school in February.

Hope that doesn't mean they're locking content behind difficulty levels
As far as I can see ( my fiancee plays on safety) nothing is locked behind difficulties, she got trophies etc so far, and only needed my help to fuse personas once, but other than that it seems perfect for people that just want to enjoy the story / school life aspects of the game.

GSR

IIRC the game specifically says there are no changes from selecting difficulties besides the difficulty itself. But yes, once you pick Safety you're locked in. Safety also lets you retry battles as many times as you want.

I'm starting the second dungeon, and I'm loving this. It's impressive how polished the game feels so far. The story behind the second dungeon reminds me of the story of the deaf Japanese "composer" Samuragochi, wonder if they got some inspiration from that story when they were making that part. My time is limited during the week so my progress will be even slower... but the more it lasts me the better.

Zebetite

Banned
Mementos = Tartarus essentially.

Right, but Tartarus was effectively mandatory, or else you'd be hilariously underleveled on the full moon. Do you get the impression that real dungeons give enough exp, etc to comfortably beat the boss and start the next dungeon, without doing Mementos?

Welp. That's awesome. I just got spoiled on r/all of reddit just reading titles of threads. The title of the thread was about iphone, but the OP's flair (a label by a user's name) was a P5 spoiler.

God, fucking damn it. Why are people such jerks?

Mediking

Welp. That's awesome. I just got spoiled on r/all of reddit just reading titles of threads. The title of the thread was about iphone, but the OP's flair (a label by a user's name) was a P5 spoiler.

Yikes.... that's horrible. I hope it wasn't a big spoiler! Don't give up!!! Your experience is still pure!!!

Yikes.... that's horrible. I hope it wasn't a big spoiler! Don't give up!!! Your experience is still pure!!!

Well, it hurts, but the spoiler confirmed something I guessed correctly myself (assuming the spoiler is real).

Of course, my guess had no evidence backing it so getting spoiled still stings like a motherfucker.

Shouta

Right, but Tartarus was effectively mandatory, or else you'd be hilariously underleveled on the full moon. Do you get the impression that real dungeons give enough exp, etc to comfortably beat the boss and start the next dungeon, without doing Mementos?

Depends on difficulty and how much you fight in the story dungeons.

There are also apparently unique shadows and items that you can only find in Mementos it seems.

barybll

Banned
Well, it hurts, but the spoiler confirmed something I guessed correctly myself (assuming the spoiler is real).

Of course, my guess had no evidence backing it so getting spoiled still stings like a motherfucker.

There are two major spoilers I can think about

I hope it wasnt about the second
plot twist

aravuus

As far as I can see ( my fiancee plays on safety) nothing is locked behind difficulties, she got trophies etc so far, and only needed my help to fuse personas once, but other than that it seems perfect for people that just want to enjoy the story / school life aspects of the game.

That's good to hear

Ah, must've been the same one that I saw. Lots of cunts out there, unfortunately.

There are two major spoilers I can think about

I hope it wasnt about the second
plot twist

Two? Gonna stick to the subreddits I've bookmarked then, doubt anyone's gonna spoil anything in those

Safety is ridiculous , not only you take less damage , give more damage but if you're still down , you resurect during the next turn with full HP. can you lose a fight with those conditions, lol

Mediking

Gonna sound dumb but hopefully you'll.... forget it over time.

It's going to start up again around Jan. Jerks will be even more vicious then. I might actually go on a media blackout on all things Persona around that time.

Shouta

The spoiler that random twitch monsters were going around shouting in streams the first few days was pretty obvious, lol.

I mentioned it while I was streaming but because I didn't look at any materials for the game, I didn't know anyone in the cast beyond An, Ryuji, Morgana, and the MC. If I had, I would have instantly recognized what the dev staff was going.

That's the thing. I wasn't even looking at anything persona related and got spoiled.
Yup. Afraid to open up my Facebook. I have to look quick and make sure there's nothing spoilery. Damn those assholes, who takes pleasure from spoiling things?

Also not opening up any messages on my Reddit account, just to be safe.

Mediking

Yup. Afraid to open up my Facebook. I have to look quick and make sure there's nothing spoilery. Damn those assholes, who takes pleasure from spoiling things?

Also not opening up any messages on my Reddit account, just to be safe.

Anything that's high profile.... it's almost doomed to get spoiled in some form. Also doesn't help that the West is getting this AFTER Japan so spoiling dodging is the ultimate mission. I haven't been spoiled but Youtube did try to spoil me but I clicked away just in time.

Dantis

Hasn't been a problem for me, but I feel like my experience with MegaTen is giving me an advantage. Just did the entire 4th dungeon in one run.

Fourth dungeon is tremendous, by the way. I haven't seen anyone mention the shortcut system yet, but I love it. Very Demon's Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom