• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

Do weapon prices even matter much? Past Persona games just has you use personas taking advantages of weaknesses most of the time anyway. Guns seem to be fairly useful if limited from what I've seen. The big case in equipment before has mostly been armor since you need to survive.

Lunar15

Hasn't been a problem for me, but I feel like my experience with MegaTen is giving me an advantage. Just did the entire 4th dungeon in one run.

Fourth dungeon is tremendous, by the way. I haven't seen anyone mention the shortcut system yet, but I love it. Very Demon's Souls.

You're telling me there's a dungeon with DDS era Meguro music AND demon's souls esque shortcuts?

GOTY Forever.

Shouta

Do weapon prices even matter much? Past Persona games just has you use personas taking advantages of weaknesses most of the time anyway. Guns seem to be fairly useful if limited from what I've seen. The big case in equipment before has mostly been armor since you need to survive.

They affect your Physical and Pierce type Persona attacks in addition to your normal and gun damage I believe. They also provide good bonuses as well like to accuracy/dodge. So keeping them up to date is important though maybe not every time a new batch comes in.

It also depends on what difficulty you're playing on.

Huh. Was this actually the case in Persona 3 and 4 too? I don't think I noticed.

P4 was smiliar... but P5 changed the way physical attacks are handled by the battle system. i think it's less important than in P3 but more important than in P4

The best way to handle weapons is to play a dongeon , do half of it , then use that money to upgrade your gear and tackle the rest .. that's how i do it anyway ...but as i said before you don't need to get everything , for exemple , if you explore you'll have more than enough accesories.

Money isn't a problem in this game if you don't waste it .

Lynx_7

All the dungeons have Demon's Souls-esque shortcuts. It all links back together in really nice ways.

So, does this means you don't start at the floor you stopped last time you visited the dungeon like in P4, but instead have to rely more on shortcuts and all that? That's an interesting change.

Zolo

P4 was smiliar... but P5 changed the way physical attacks are handled by the battle system. i think it's less important than in P3 but more important than in P4

The best way to handle weapons is to play a dongeon , do half of it , then use that money to upgrade your gear and tackle the rest .. that's how i do it anyway ...but as i said before you don't need to get everything , for exemple , if you explore you'll have more than enough accesories.

Money isn't a problem in this game if you don't waste it .

I think that was the case but someone might know better. I haven't played either game in a long time. You can easily test it though.

Thanks! Guess I just never realized it since I kept my gear upgraded out of habit even if I didn't think it did anything aside from regular attacks.

Lunar15

All the dungeons have Demon's Souls-esque shortcuts. It all links back together in really nice ways.

I need to leave this thread, I'm getting far too hyped for a game that's 5 months away.

Also, big thanks to all the posters in here who have done a great job of keeping spoilers out of this thread while still providing great impressions. Really appreciate it!

Dantis

So, does this means you don't start at the floor you stopped last time you visited the dungeon like in P4, but instead have to rely more on shortcuts and all that? That's an interesting change.

You can also warp to any saferooms you've found. Shortcuts and saferooms combined make it really easy to backtrack if there was a locked chest you couldn't open or whatever.

Dungeon design is superb. I remember people playing TMS and saying the dungeons seemed better than P5. NOPE.

V3rt1go

Although I only understand 10% of the dialogue, I'm totally in love with this game.

Best thing I played this year so far.

Only 10 hours of game time and still on the first dungeon but this game is amazing.

Anne and Morgana are amazing.

artsi

There aren't P3 / P4 like floors anymore, you open shortcuts and there's also plenty of save rooms where you can teleport to from dungeon entrance.

Soriku

Dungeon 4's music is fucking tremendous. Holy crap.

Dungeon music in general is a huge step up from P4. This one right here is DDS style Meguro.

Loved P4's dungeon themes. Haven't heard all of P5's completely yet but the dungeon music is probably at least as good. I like how guitar is more incorporated into the themes. Dungeon 4 has pretty nice music, and I love dungeon 3's theme too.

Shouta

Thanks! Guess I just never realized it since I kept my gear upgraded out of habit even if I didn't think it did anything aside from regular attacks.

Just tested it. Weapons don't affect your Physical or Pierce attacks on your persona. But upgrading them means you gain access to more powerful attacks that don't drain your HP. Also, they various additional effects.

Zolo

Just tested it. Weapons don't affect your Physical or Pierce attacks on your persona. But upgrading them means you gain access to more powerful attacks that don't drain your HP. Also, they various additional effects.

Cool. Thanks for seeing how it works!

Game was supposed to be delivered today, and I was pretty excited. Came home to a slip from the post office that it must be signed for unless I want to come pick it up. The problem being that I get home from work at 5:15 and the post office closes at 5.

catherine-love-is-over.jpg

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Does Mementos' appearance change as you get deeper? Or is it the same blue look the whole way through?

bigjig

I think Demon's Souls-style shortcuts is overselling it a bit. There are shortcuts within floors but each floor is broken up with a loading screen. It's a bit different to free flowing shortcut progression you see in the Souls games.

Guru-Guru

Banned
So for the batting center, I see there is a trophy for hitting a homerun. I've played a couple times (on the beginner course), but I keep hitting like shit. Any tips? It seems like it shouldn't be hard...Do I have to progress to a higher course before I increase my chance of hitting a homerun?

Xypher

So for the batting center, I see there is a trophy for hitting a homerun. I've played a couple times (on the beginner course), but I keep hitting like shit. Any tips? It seems like it shouldn't be hard...Do I have to progress to a higher course before I increase my chance of hitting a homerun?

You can buy a book which will give you third eye for the batting center after you read it, which slows down the ball speed and makes hitting a home run way easier, once you got that, aim just slightly underneath the ball, so that you still have about 3/4 of the ball on the bat, but you hit it slightly low, and then hit it once the ball glows blue.

I remember people talking about how
it was a shame that not many people actually got to hear the Obelisk theme since you have to make it to the Obelisk to hear it.
Yup.
Part of it is that Babel is just secondary in Catherine from what I recall. I watched a LPer where they only played it once in the whole game. People just forget it exists. And this theme is kickass. Perfect cause you'll be raging on it, lol.

Zolo

Yup.
Part of it is that Babel is just secondary in Catherine from what I recall. I watched a LPer where they only played it once in the whole game. People just forget it exists. And this theme is kickass. Perfect cause you'll be raging on it, lol.

Oh. I definitely know.
I almost have Catherine platinum'd myself. It actually made Axis Mundi a disappointment in that regard since it used a previous standard track.

Oh. I definitely know.
I almost have Catherine platinum'd myself. It actually made Axis Mundi a disappointment in that regard since it used a previous standard track.
Damn. Good job. I gave up on getting that. I'm just not good enough. I barely made it pass Stage 2 with luck, heh.

To people playing it, do you prefer the button menu they're using in battle to traditional RPG battle menus?

Yes, it's fantastic. Saves so much time of scrolling through the options in battle, since there are so many and they're all used so frequently. I personally feel that every RPG should do this from now on (unless being designed with a specifically retro style).

The only complaint I have is that melee attack (circle button) is the only command that does not invoke a confirmation popup, as it simply attacks the already selected target. I've had a few times where I accidentally smacked an enemy instead of casting a spell because I was rushing and pressed the wrong thing. But I think it's been maaaybe three times in all the time that I've played (finished the first dungeon).

Shouta

You have to get the bat under the ball to hit a homerun. You can find/buy a book that lets you use Third Eye while batting, that should help. If you get a homerun within the 5 pitches, you'll get a trophy, I think.

Guru-Guru

Banned
You can buy a book which will give you third eye for the batting center after you read it, which slows down the ball speed and makes hitting a home run way easier, once you got that, aim just slightly underneath the ball, so that you still have about 3/4 of the ball on the bat, but you hit it slightly low, and then hit it once the ball glows blue.

You have to get the bat under the ball to hit a homerun. You can find/buy a book that lets you use Third Eye while batting, that should help. If you get a homerun within the 5 pitches, you'll get a trophy, I think.
Thanks! I haven't seen this book at the bookstore in Shibuya. I'm in mid-June and it isn't in stock yet. Or is at a different bookstore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom