• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone tell me if I'm understanding what's going on? I still get kinda lost in the dialogues outside the real world. I'll spoiler it, I'm right after the point when Ryuji gets his persona.
So, when he was talking with Kamoshida, he kept talking about a "betrayal ace" or somethign along those lines right? Was he talking about Ryuji past? I also believe Ryuji was saying he wasn't able to join the Track and Field Team. Morgana was saying that the people they saw, Ann included, weren't the "real" people right? And then Morgana also tried to explain that he wasn't a cat, but Ryuji and the protagonist didn't believe him. Lastly, when Ann was talking with her friend, this girl was sad that she couldn't partecipate in the event because of an injury and then she was called by Kamoshida. What the Protagonist and Ryuji are trying to do is find a witness on Kamoshida's use of corporal punishment.
Did I get something right? ç_ç

ubiblu

I know right. Jesus Christ.

You people have no idea. I'm only about a 1/4 through and I can't stop gushing. 25 hours straight. And I only understand a small portion of the dialogue.

This is honestly lining up to be one of the all-time classics. I adore P4G, but this just improves on every aspect to the nth degree.

Nakho

Please guys tell me once you finish Persona 5 if it has a better ending than Persona 3.

Nothing has beaten that ending for me from an emotional standpoint. If it gets beaten then that'll be a huge achievement for me personally.

Err... I haven't played the game yet, but I don't think anyone would be able to answer that.

Yeah, it's pretty much my one and only complaint about the game. Doesn't make it any worse as a package, but I'm just surprised.

What's puzzling is that you may have one big scene voiced, then they change scenery and suddenly no voice for a bit, then it goes back to being voiced for the remainder of the scene.
It's not like you could do something in between them even, as the three sections are following each other so in essence it's almost one giant scene where they stop speaking for no reason.

bigjig

You people have no idea. I'm only about a 1/4 through and I can't stop gushing. 25 hours straight. And I only understand a small portion of the dialogue.

This is honestly lining up to be one of the all-time classics. I adore P4G, but this just improves on every aspect to the nth degree.

Yep, 25 hrs in as well. I will be extremely surprised if this doesn't end up with a 90+ meta score

I think the second half of Persona games is when everything goes to shit, so I'll be interested to see if it holds up on the back end or if the final 20, 30, 40 hours just feel like a grinding monotony to find out who or what the evil entity is.

I really only enjoyed the first half of 3 and 4 when you're meeting the cast members and helping them overcome their personal little problems.

I'm hoping someone who feels similarly can give their thoughts on P5. Is the general routine of P3 and 4 just as monotonous here?

raven777

I think the second half of Persona games is when everything goes to shit, so I'll be interested to see if it holds up on the back end or if the final 20, 30, 40 hours just feel like a grinding monotony to find out who or what the evil entity is.

I really only enjoyed the first half of 3 and 4 when you're meeting the cast members and helping them overcome their personal little problems.

I'm hoping someone who feels similarly can give their thoughts on P5.

Really? I liked the 2nd half of P3 and P4.

Really? I liked the 2nd half of P3 and P4.

I mean, I'm sure I'm in a thread full of hardcore Persona enthusiasts who think my opinion is terrible, but I figured I'd ask!

There were about 30 hours or so of pure grind in P3 until the penultimate month or so. P4 I couldn't even finish, the monotony was suffocating. I used a guide to get the true ending, realized how shitty it is to have to use a guide to get a true ending, found out who the killer was and never returned.

I'm hoping that P5 is thematically more interesting or tighter paced. It's good to hear the dungeons are better. I know I can enjoy this type of game because I kinda love Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

MGS5 sold a little over 400k from what I remember reading somewhere. This is pretty good, right? And it's gearing up to be a pretty good seller overseas as well. Good for them.

It's extremely good

persona-series-salesfuqvx.jpg

http://personacentral.com/persona-5-fastest-selling-game-series/

Setsu00

I mean, I'm sure I'm in a thread full of hardcore Persona enthusiasts who think my opinion is terrible, but I figured I'd ask!

There were about 30 hours or so of pure grind in P3 until the penultimate month or so. P4 I couldn't even finish, the monotony was suffocating. I used a guide to get the true ending, realized how shitty it is to have to use a guide to get a true ending, found out who the killer was and never returned.

I'm hoping that P5 is thematically more interesting or tighter paced. It's good to hear the dungeons are better. I know I can enjoy this type of game because I kinda love Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

You don't have to use a guide to get P4's true ending. Simply knowing that "Reach out to the truth" is the game's message and realizing that some plot threads aren't resolved should be enough to tell you that there is more to this game. I do agree though that P3 and P4 had severe pacing issues.

Mupod

You don't have to use a guide to get P4's true ending. Simply knowing that "Reach out to the truth" is the game's message and realizing that some plot threads aren't resolved should be enough to tell you that there is more to this game. I do agree though that P3 and P4 had severe pacing issues.

I had to look stuff up in P4 at the end because I messed up the critical dialogue sequence due to 'phoenix wright'-ing it. A combination of being a step ahead of the plot and poorly worded dialogue choices, basically. I knew what I wanted to say, but I didn't know what the GAME wanted me to say. So even though I only made one wrong choice I wasn't sure which one was wrong and didn't want to waste 6 hours doing trial and error.

I still need to go back and finish P4. I made an essentially invincible persona and the game got boring in the final dungeon. I watched the Giantbomb endurance run fairly recently and caught up to about where I was, and I've got my PS2 hooked back up in the living room again. Just need to find the time.

Could someone tell me if I'm understanding what's going on? I still get kinda lost in the dialogues outside the real world. I'll spoiler it, I'm right after the point when Ryuji gets his persona.
So, when he was talking with Kamoshida, he kept talking about a "betrayal ace" or somethign along those lines right? Was he talking about Ryuji past? I also believe Ryuji was saying he wasn't able to join the Track and Field Team. Morgana was saying that the people they saw, Ann included, weren't the "real" people right? And then Morgana also tried to explain that he wasn't a cat, but Ryuji and the protagonist didn't believe him. Lastly, when Ann was talking with her friend, this girl was sad that she couldn't partecipate in the event because of an injury and then she was called by Kamoshida. What the Protagonist and Ryuji are trying to do is find a witness on Kamoshida's use of corporal punishment.
Did I get something right? ç_ç

Well , euh ..spoilers i guess. for the start of the first arc (april events )
Ryuji couldn't handle kamoshida training and behavior. In short , kamoshida is an asshole that treat his students like shit. So ryuji quit the team. ( He did it despite the fact that he like sports a lot )
When they explored the castle the second time they saw the punishments on the students , but the characters aren't real.. they are manifestation of people resentement and feeligns regarding a certain issue.( short version ) And in this case, the issue is kamoshida. Morgana was saying that you can't save those students that kept being tortured because they aren't real. The real course of action would be to deal with kamoshida who control the place.
About morgana :
Morgana introduced himself to the duo and they asked him what's the deal with him being trapped in the dongeon (being a cat ) . Morgana answered that he isn't a cat , he's an human, but he lost his human body. Why ? How ? When ? morgana doesn't know. He forgot. You have some dialog choices and you can choose to believe him or not. ryuji has a hard time to accept this.

About Anne :
You're basicly right about this part, that's what happenned in that scene.

Ryuji couldn't handle kamoshida training and behavior. In short , kamoshida is an asshole that treat his students like shit. So ryuji quit the team. ( He did it despite the fact that he like sports a lot )
When they explored the castle the second time they saw the punishments on the students , but the characters aren't real.. they are manifestation of people resentement and feeligns regarding a certain issue.( short version ) And in this case, the issue is kamoshida. Morgana was saying that you can't save those students that kept being tortured because they aren't real. The real course of action would be to deal with kamoshida who control the place.
About morgana :
Morgana introduced himself to the duo and they asked him what's the deal with him being trapped in the dongeon (being a cat ) . Morgana answered that he isn't a cat , he's an human, but he lost his human body. Why ? How ? When ? morgana doesn't know. He forgot. You have some dialog choices and you can choose to believe him or not. ryuji has a hard time to accept this.

About Anne :
Thanks, then I did get the gist of it. Glad to hear I wasn't to far from what actually happened :D

muteki

About morgana :

About Anne :

Thanks for this. I'm around the same point and had similar questions and this was what I was feeling but wasn't sure. Figure it will become more clear as I go on.

About morgana :

About Anne :
I was somewhat right in my thoughts.

KTallguy

Banned
This game is extremely good. My only regret is I don't have much time to play. Finally finished the first dungeon and it's really, really polished. It's a very confident game, that knows exactly what it wants to do and how it wants to do it. All of the decisions made, both in presentation and story, work together very harmoniously.

I really enjoy how there's a sense of familiarity even though the setting, story, and many of the things you do are very different.
Basically everyone treats you like a piece of shit from the start, and you have to crawl your way up to be even somewhat respected as a human being. It's a VERY different feeling from P3 and P4.

I'm only at the beginning and none of the core party members have really opened up enough for me to have a deep understanding of them. But they're relatively interesting and they all have a realistic stake in what's going on. I'm looking forward to seeing them all evolve over the course of the game. P3 was really good for that, I'm hoping 5 can at least match it.

Thanks, then I did get the gist of it. Glad to hear I wasn't to far from what actually happened :D

Thanks for this. I'm around the same point and had similar questions and this was what I was feeling but wasn't sure. Figure it will become more clear as I go on.

I was somewhat right in my thoughts.

Just to be clear that was just for the events up to that point , later events will add more information on this, like ryuji relationship with sports ( dealt in his s-link ), same with morgana. As for ann friend , there are more reveals the more the story unfolds in this arc

I just completed the fourth dungeon, and while exploring Mementos I suddenly discovered
I have the ability to ram enemies from behind, and I will instantly get a persona from them without a battle. I don't remember gaining such an ability, unless it's the effect from Ryuuji's Social Link? One of them states it allows for insta kills if I initiate a battle.

Uh, my understanding of what they represent is different. I thought they're supposed to be
what Kamoshida thinks of his students. Like how he sees Anne as nothing more than a sex object.

Shouta

I just completed the fourth dungeon, and while exploring Mementos I suddenly discovered
I have the ability to ram enemies from behind, and I will instantly get a persona from them without a battle. I don't remember gaining such an ability, unless it's the effect from Ryuuji's Social Link? One of them states it allows for insta kills if I initiate a battle.

Uh, my understanding of what they represent is different. I thought they're supposed to be
what Kamoshida thinks of his students. Like how he sees Anne as nothing more than a sex object.

You are correct on that they're supposed to be.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm starting the run to the end of the game and depending on how things unravel from here, this game could easily be in my best games of all time list, not just RPGs.

It is essentially the Witcher 3 of Persona games in terms of overall quality.
Lots of great impressions but this is the only one that I needed. TW3 is my favourite game of all time and I can't wait to play another RPG with that quality.

I'm right at the middle of May
I'm surprised I completed the 2nd dungeon in just 2 incursions (or so it seems: I reached the safe room close to Madarame's(?) heart... I think I keep misreading his name)

I was expecting the second dungeon to be kind of boring after reading some comments, but I actually liked it a lot.

I think I'll miss the Japanese voices in the NA version, especially Morgana's voice. Do we know who are going to be the voices for the NA version?

Dantis

Hey guys, I have a few Mementos missions with question marks... Am I right in assuming these need to be investigated in the real world?

Would you say the pacing is better in 5?

After completing the fourth dungeon, I'm beginning to find the game to be too easy.
Ryuuji, Yusuke and Makoto just need to spam their aoe physical attacks and I can take out most mobs with no retaliation. Then it's just a matter of healing up which is really cheap in this game. I grinded 4 levels in a single incursion to Mementos. Then again, I can probably expect to see Arahabakis and Rangdas in the next dungeon to screw my physical strategy...

Spoilers for mid September
Hawaii trip was rather boring, but it was worth it for the loading screen gag.

Lynx_7

After completing the fourth dungeon, I'm beginning to find the game to be too easy.
Ryuuji, Yusuke and Makoto just need to spam their aoe physical attacks and I can take out most mobs with no retaliation. Then it's just a matter of healing up which is really cheap in this game. I grinded 4 levels in a single incursion to Mementos. Then again, I can probably expect to see Arahabakis and Rangdas in the next dungeon to screw my physical strategy...

That's a bit disappointing if true, but then again P3 and P4 weren't particularly difficult either outside of a few bosses. Which difficulty are you playing on?

I tried a crossword.
I should've just studied.

Speaking of studying, I got a very nice surprise just before the second wave of exams.

The day JUST before the exams, there was a class, to which I answered right, which as always gave me one note in intelligence.

That one note brought me to Rank 4. I was really glad about the perfect timing :p

Shouta

That's a bit disappointing if true, but then again P3 and P4 weren't particularly difficult either outside of a few bosses. Which difficulty are you playing on?

I can see Normal being a bit of a push over but Hard has been pretty nasty so far.

Dantis

Just starting dungeon 5. Music is tremendous, once again.

I fear
Haru
joins too late on, which is a shame. P-Studio still can't quite balance their events right. Give us all the characters, then the free time, please.

Just starting dungeon 5. Music is tremendous, once again.

I fear
Haru
joins too late on, which is a shame. P-Studio still can't quite balance their events right. Give us all the characters, then the free time, please.

:/ Yo, I don't want to know what order the characters join in. Come on.

Dantis

Sorry. I've marked it now. I wouldn't have considered that a spoiler, personally. The trailers basically reveal the order of who joins when.

Lynx_7

I can see Normal being a bit of a push over but Hard has been pretty nasty so far.

That's great to hear then since I always start in the hardest setting available!
How are the boss fights so far? I hope there are a few creative ones like Shadow Mitsuo or some of the unique "gimmick" bosses from Nocturne (shadow clone oni, the three sisters of fate, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom