• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear that the social links are well written. I found it intriguing that most of the non-party member social links were people older than the MC.

At the risk of saying it again , they've done such a great job with the dialog.

At first i wanted to go for 武見妙 , then i realised that 新島 真 is awesome too.

Everything was going well and i started 東郷一二三 and i liked her too

I guess i'll have to decide and fast ..
and i'm still missing some.

Kawakami seems pretty popular going by Pixiv.
Keeping that one for NG+

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Friendzone everyone.
-----------------------------------
I've recently gotten into P4G again on my commutes just finished Yukiko's castle.
It's just super interesting to really remind myself of all the differences.

Being still early I think the only thing of note to me right now that's also kind of the most obvious things is how huge the jump in presentation is and how that alone can make a game feel sooooo different. Like P4G is by JRPG standards pretty goddamn smooth/fluid playwise but somehow after playing P5 it doesn't feel as good anymore.
It's weird really.

I'm still way off of unlocking all the gameplay systems that said the two things I miss from golden in P5 are more control over difficulty customization -> exp, money sliders and ways to modify persona stats more.
-------------------------------------
Also new difficulty hype!

Does anyone else think the social links for the non-Phantom Thieves are much more interesting than the Phantom Thieves? Like, would I rather hang out with Anne or Tae? Hmmm... easy choice actually.

Mariip

Does anyone else think the social links for the non-Phantom Thieves are much more interesting than the Phantom Thieves? Like, would I rather hang out with Anne or Tae? Hmmm... easy choice actually.

Also, *this party member's* finisher blows all the ones that come before it out of the water. Party member spoilers:

Subliiime
Thank you. It's not like i was saving this phanthon thief form for the game or something like that. Sheesh =_=

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me with the first dungeon?
I'm stuck in front of the swinging blades and I'm not sure how to pass them.
Sorry to ask so many questions here, I feel guilty getting stuck and needing help. I only planned to play a little but I'm enjoying it more than I expected even without being able to understand everything.

Can anyone help me with the first dungeon?
I'm stuck in front of the swinging blades and I'm not sure how to pass them.
Sorry to ask so many questions here, I feel guilty getting stuck and needing help. I only planned to play a little but I'm enjoying it more than I expected even without being able to understand everything.

First dungeon spoilers:
You have to find a pair of "keys". If you go back to the previous area(s) you'll eventually pick them up from defeating shadows. I believe you can use your thief vision to identify which enemies have them (they should show up gold).

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
First dungeon spoilers:
You have to find a pair of "keys". If you go back to the previous area(s) you'll eventually pick them up from defeating shadows. I believe you can use your thief vision to identify which enemies have them (they should show up gold).

Thanks! I wouldn't have figured that one out....

It's just insane. I really can't get over it. I've just picked it up again and I constantly can't believe it. Anyway, so far I'm really impressed about how it feels like a proper evolution for the series gameplay wise. The fluid nature of the interface in battles feels amazing.

Edit: I'm pretty satisfied with the music so far. It's more low key than P3/4 I guess but the quality is just as high I think

Yeah it's crazy, I think more screens showing up online on random feeds would grab them some extra sales, especially in the upcoming US version, since we likely have more people who'd come across it and not know it exists. The visuals are so eye catching even just from the basic footage.

Jintor

Can someone clear up for me the reason why (6/20)
Makoto can access the flying bank? I didn't quite get her explanation.

/edit holy shit this fucking JAM

I can't find Kawakami anywhere!

If you want to start her social -link , you need courage at level 3 at least and you need to speak to her at school after classes and choose to talk about "That event" , she will give you her number and you need to call her on the Leblanc main phone during friday or saturday nights.

As I understood it
people who Kaneshiro views as customers (ie people who he can suck money from) are considered customers. And Makoto is now forced to hand over 300000yen, so she's considered one.
And yes that place has one of my favourite tunes.

Kaneshiro allows his customers(or from how he sees it, his ATM machines) into his bank to conduct business, and since Makoto is one of the people he's extorting from now, she's also considered one of his "customers".

edit: whoops 15 seconds too late

Beckx

Another weekend, another few hours to play.

The puzzle design in the second dungeon is top notch. The way the story came together for this dungeon was even better than the first.

29 hours in so far, though that's inflated since there have been several points where I've had to walk away for extended periods.

Sakura

Glad to hear that the social links are well written. I found it intriguing that most of the non-party member social links were people older than the MC.

I do think they are in general better written, and the abilities for non party member ones are great.
But one main complaint I have, is so many people have their issues resolved by (not sure if this would be spoilers but just in case)
defeating the person causing problems in Mementos. Rather than actually solving their problems in the real world, it's kind of just like "Oh let me just hop into the other world and brainwash them for you". It's not a real world solution to the many real world problems that the people are having, so it makes it hard for me to relate.

raven777

My biggest worry is ..who should i date?
Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Lunar15

I do think they are in general better written, and the abilities for non party member ones are great.
But one main complaint I have, is so many people have their issues resolved by (not sure if this would be spoilers but just in case)
defeating the person causing problems in Mementos. Rather than actually solving their problems in the real world, it's kind of just like "Oh let me just hop into the other world and brainwash them for you". It's not a real world solution to the many real world problems that the people are having, so it makes it hard for me to relate.

I wondered about this greatly. One of my favorite things from P4 was that, even once you saved your party members, they were still dealing with their problems and social links were designed to talk them through that. It felt relateable because it was separate from the supernatural elements.

If what you're telling me is true, that's kind of disappointing. I had figured that was the case for Mementos quests, but not necessarily social links.

Another weekend, another few hours to play.

The puzzle design in the second dungeon is top notch. The way the story came together for this dungeon was even better than the first.

29 hours in so far, though that's inflated since there have been several points where I've had to walk away for extended periods.
I'm 34 hours in and I haven't even started the second dungeon. I just got my second mementos mission.

Aren't there just a few that are resolved like that?

GSR

I am straight up putting
Chihaya
's future kids through college, lol.
5,000 per day to raise affection with people, another 5,000 if I'm going to gain personal stats that day, another 5,000 if we're going to Mementos/a palace to get that all-out-attack bonus
. Can't complain though!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I am straight up putting
Chihaya
's future kids through college, lol.
5,000 per day to raise affection with people, another 5,000 if I'm going to gain personal stats that day, another 5,000 if we're going to Mementos/a palace to get that all-out-attack bonus
. Can't complain though!
They could be your future kids if you want ( ・´ー・`)

Some questions about the NG+ exclusive boss, and the Reaper
Are they still available to fight when you're in the final dungeon? I don't think you can return to Mementos, so I don't see how you can fight the Reaper. And by the time you're in the final dungeon, the twins are gone too. That sounds like you can only face them in the second-last dungeon, which means you're only about level 65.

Every female slink character being dateable is definitely something I don't like, lol

That's also because they are older for most of them.
There is this flavor difference here.
Also you don't need to date them all.

i would even argue that there is less variety because we're in tokyo , not in a remote region like inaba.

Shouta

When you look at the content there though...

Most of the ones that involve a Mementos run aren't things that are easily solvable in real life. They can be solved but it could be its own massive story that takes a long time to deal with. In quite a few, they actually did as much as they could to deal with it but ended up at a dead end. At least 4 of them wouldn't have a clean and quick resolution that works in real life.

There are a few that didn't require it but it's definitely the minority.

PK Gaming

That's also because they are older for most of them.
There is this flavor difference here.
Also you don't need to date them all.

i would even argue that there is less variety because we're in tokyo , not in a remote region like inaba.

You make it sound like they're different dishes to be consumed and savored, heh..

Sorry, I don't mean to be a drag.

But I can't say i'm a fan of being able to date all these women. Never mind the mentality it invites, it just feels contrived.

You make it sound like they're different dishes to be consumed and savored, heh..
I consider all their plotlines and dialog to be an experience to savour.
Sorry, I don't mean to be a drag.

But I can't say i'm a fan of being able to date all these women. Never mind the mentality it invites, it just feels contrived.

I can't understand why options are a bad thing. Don't want to , don't do it.
I don't even see the problem with the "mentality" . I'm not going to a strip club , i'm intrested in those characters and i want to know them more.It's not like there isn't a penality for abusing the system ( there is ) , so just play like you want to.

Again , I will never understand why options are a bad thing , just don't pick the option you don't like / feel confirtable with.

GSR

They could be your future kids if you want ( ・´ー・`)

you know i literally thought to myself "i hope somebody doesn't make this joke"

Maybe I'm just stodgy but I'm also in the camp of not being a huge fan of all the female SLs being romanceable despite age differences. It just feels like weird wish fulfillment rather than something that makes sense for the characters.

That's my take, though. Having the option there doesn't actually hurt my experience other than making me roll my eyes a bit.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of Slinks, spoilers on several of them:
Also the theme with most of the Slinks there is kind of people that are all quite capable of solving their problems. Most of them do have the skills. It's just some unreasonable aspect/obstacle in their lives chaining them down preventing them from applying those skills. And I think it's important to note that you breaking the chain doesn't actually generally solve the actual problem. It's more that you allow these people to use their skill set to solve them.

Chihaya still has to deal with the aftermath of undoing the "brainwashing" of the cult members.
Toranosuke still has to walk the long road before he gets to any kind of position where he'll have the power to truly make the difference he aims for.
Hifumi still has to battle her way to become a professional shogi player of any significance.
Ichiko also is far from accomplishing her goal of uncovering the truth behind the Kayo incident.

List could go on.
To me the distinction felt significant especially because I've been someone that has been sick of being the Jesus figure in Bioware games(there is just no subtlety there) for a while now.

One the topic of dating Slinks
never been a fan of that aspect but seriously for the love of god the "be careful what you say here" type of warning every time is pretty awful and immersion breaking, especially cause it happens in almost every fem Slink and I think always at rank 8 too.
It's still a minor thing in a 100+ hour game but yeah if I could patch those lines out I would. Also would make the Shuraba event way funnier cause of people somehow unintentionally landing in several relationships.

Shouta

On the topic of Slinks, spoilers on several of them:
Also the theme with most of the Slinks there is kind of people that are all quite capable of solving their problems. Most of them do have the skills. It's just some unreasonable aspect/obstacle in their lives chaining them down preventing them from applying those skills. And I think it's important to note that you breaking the chain doesn't actually generally solve the actual problem. It's more that you allow these people to use their skill set to solve them.

Chihaya still has to deal with the aftermath of undoing the "brainwashing" of the cult members.
Toranosuke still has to walk the long road before he gets to any kind of position where he'll have the power to truly make the difference he aims for.
Hifumi still has to battle her way to become a professional shogi player of any significance.
Ichiko also is far from accomplishing her goal of uncovering the truth behind the Kayo incident.

List could go on.
To me the distinction felt significant especially because I've been someone that has been sick of being the Jesus figure in Bioware games(they is just no subtlety there) for a while now.

Yep, there's that too. (More Co-op stuff)
There's only like three where the MC really plays the hero, Kawakami, Takemi, and Iwai. Soujiro's didn't even need the MC to intervene but he does so for gameplay reasons, lol.

Zolo

Kawakami's is at least one example where there really wasn't a choice either where it could be dealt with in real-life without crappy consequences.
She stood up for herself, but the position she was in with the couple once they revealed they knew her side-job meant that her career would be ruined if anyone found out.

Rpgmonkey

Finished the third dungeon yesterday. Just taking my time and doing optional stuff as it comes up if it interests me. Put a lot of time into this so far and unlike what happened while playing 3 and 4, I actually haven't lost interest! Got to get further in to see what happens but so far I've managed to get something new here and there to mix things up and stop me from getting tired of the daily gameplay loop.

Probably should have played on hard instead of normal though, finding the game pretty easy so far and the more significant fights, while good as set pieces, haven't been too engaging/challenging.

Shouta

Finished the third dungeon yesterday. Just taking my time and doing optional stuff as it comes up if it interests me. Put a lot of time into this so far and unlike what happened while playing 3 and 4, I actually haven't lost interest! Got to get further in to see what happens but so far I've managed to get something new here and there to mix things up and stop me from getting tired of the daily gameplay loop.

Probably should have played on hard instead of normal though, finding the game pretty easy so far and the more significant fights, while good as set pieces, haven't been too engaging/challenging.

Pretty sure you can change the difficulty mid-game! Try it out.

Finally cleared the first dungeon yesterday after picking this up day one lol. Music def picked up at the fight and the battle ui in general is just sick. Really liked the tactics implementation top.
I sent Ryuji off to take care of the crown and the culmination of that was satisfying enough that I kind of want to try it with the others.
Really enjoying the game. Kind of weird you could trigger the first notice to go off on Sunday, had to load an old save, but good stuff. Costumes are a bit underwhelming, wouldn't really recommend the purchase of any that I've bought.

PK Gaming

I consider all their plotlines and dialog to be an experience to savour.

I can't understand why options are a bad thing. Don't want to , don't do it.
I don't even see the problem with the "mentality" . I'm not going to a strip club , i'm intrested in those characters and i want to know them more.It's not like there isn't a penality for abusing the system ( there is ) , so just play like you want to.

Again , I will never understand why options are a bad thing , just don't pick the option you don't like / feel confirtable with.

I get where you're coming from, but I just can't agree. Bolt hit the head on when he said it felt too wish fulfillmentey, and I know that a huge part of Persona's appeal comes from wish fulfillment, but it feels it's gone too far this time. The girls just end up feeling like products to be consumed rather than actual people you can interact. Is the game seriously trying to imply that the protagonist can whoo all of these women? Is he that appealing? Dating should be more complicated than that. It shouldn't be reduced to a game of getting someone to like you because you gave them gifts and helped them overcome their issues. It should mutual; 2 people falling for each other. The "just don't romance them, then" line of reasoning doesn't work for me because the dark side of that is "I could date them if I wanted to." You should never think about another girl. Hell, it almost feels unfair to the P5 protagonist too. Didn't they try to actually make him more distinct this time around? I don't think "can whoo anyone" was what they were going for when they designed him.

Keep in mind I'm not inherently opposed to dating. I actually really like the concept, but being able to "date" nearly anyone absolutely devalues it. Like I'm pretty sure they put way more effort into P5MC's relationship with say... Makoto than that fortune telling girl. Why even bother letting the P5MC hook up with the fortune teller girl? Why bother stretching themselves thin with a bunch of romantic shorts when it would be much more preferable if they worked really hard on selling a handful of romance options and leaving a few platonic options behind. Also the "penalty" you're talking about is cartoon nonsense, haha. That doesn't actually work irl.

Idk. I hate to be a drag, but this is something I had to get off my chest. I'm still ridiculously excited for P5.

I don't think relationships model perfectly into inherently systemic design either but we do what we must

I mean P4 didn't let you date Eri, the Nurse or the old lady so it's really a matter of restraint. Or lack thereof.

Zolo

I get where you're coming from, but I just can't agree. Bolt hit the head on when he said it felt too wish fulfillmentey, and I know that a huge part of Persona's appeal comes from wish fulfillment, but it feels it's gone too far this time. The girls just end up feeling like products to be consumed rather than actual people you can interact. Is the game seriously trying to imply that the protagonist can whoo all of these women? Is he that appealing? Dating should be more complicated than that. It shouldn't be reduced to a game of getting someone to like you because you gave them gifts and helped them overcome their issues. It should mutual; 2 people falling for each other. The "just don't romance them, then" line of reasoning doesn't work for me because the dark side of that is "I could date them if I wanted to." You should never think about another girl. Hell, it almost feels unfair to the P5 protagonist too. Didn't they try to actually make him more distinct this time around? I don't think "can whoo anyone" was what they were going for when they designed him.

Keep in mind I'm not inherently opposed to dating. I actually really like the concept, but being able to "date" nearly anyone absolutely devalues it. Like I'm pretty sure they put way more effort into P5MC's relationship with say... Makoto than that fortune telling girl. Why even bother letting the P5MC hook up with the fortune teller girl? Why bother stretching themselves thin with a bunch of romantic shorts when it would be much more preferable if they worked really hard on selling a handful of romance options and leaving a few platonic options behind. Also the "penalty" you're talking about is cartoon nonsense, haha. That doesn't actually work irl.

Idk. I hate to be a drag, but this is something I had to get off my chest. I'm still ridiculously excited for P5.
Nah. I get what you mean. Part of the reason I like Dragon Age Inquisiton having sexualities from gay to straight is that it means there's characters specifically that are dateable, but not necessarily to your character. That said, I can generally ignore it in Persona games as long as it doesn't feel like it interferes with others like a character not potentially getting in a relationship because she needs to be dateable or in Persona 4 where it felt Ai
only got over her crush to get a crush on the MC.

I mean P4 didn't let you date Eri, the Nurse or the old lady so it's really a matter of restraint. Or lack thereof.

I think this one's partly due to the amount of time that's passed since P4 actually. That famitsu poll a while back may not be representative, but I do think even in Japan, there are more people playing P5 closer to the women in their mid-20s than the protagonist's age which might be why there are more of those options this time.

I don't think "can whoo anyone" was what they were going for when they designed him.
latest

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
My issue with the
mementos related
coops wasn't so much whether
the person could've dealt with the problem themselves, it was more of the sheer volume of opposing parties that were so unrealistically twisted/corrupt that going to the mementos was the best way to solve the problem. Like, half the people you meet are essentially cornered by sociopaths in their lives. It feels more contrived than if they maybe only included 2 or 3 coops where that was the case while the rest had more believable personal issues etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom