• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you're not in Canada?

Does Amazon.ca ship on weekends? (Mine hasn't shipped yet)

Amazon Canada sometimes ships on weekends but it depends on 1) Where you live 2) If there's a holiday on the Friday or Monday and 3) If you Prime shipping

I've had Amazon ship out games on Sundays and they arrive Saturday sometimes and I live in Toronto.

SamuraiX-

I mean... What's off putting ? The colors ? The artworks ? The design ?

Just know that it has one of the most satisfying turn based combat, coupled with deep stories. If you like Jrpgs, I'd give it a chance. But it's a shame if the art style doesn't please you, since it's a strong plus on my end.

I didn't like the persona games myself until 4, but went back and enjoyed what I played. I think caring about the characters / stories help a lot.

Even though this one gives you less time because I feel like they heard the complaints about P4's insanely slow start. Still, it's meaty in content.

Yeah, I suppose the visual design and color palette has a lot to do with it. It all just feels very overly fantastical to me.

But I've heard a lot of very good things about Persona 5 so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it eventually. The amount of content, the game systems design, the polish, etc. all look very appealing.

Just wanted to see if anybody else had the same reservations that I did.

Is there a huge difficulty spike playing on Normal like there was in P4?

I know you can choose to drop the difficulty down a notch while you're playing, so that's good.

I'd say the last boss of Palace
was pretty tough. Challenge remains satisfyingly consistent throughout after that. The end game is very challenging, I love it!

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah, I suppose the visual design and color palette has a lot to do with it. It all just feels very overly fantastical to me.

The thing about Persona's art direction is that it's heavy on contrasting the fantastic and real. Yes, if you've seen a lot of footage of the dungeons and battles and Phantom Thieves getups, it probably seems very saturated and over-the-top.

But a huge portion of the game is spent in a much more grounded "real world", where you'll sleep in some old dude's dusty attic and wander around back alleys on a cloudy day and get lost finding your transfer route on the subway. I recommend watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look, since I think it illustrates what I mean very well:

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-persona-5/2300-11912/

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Jason Schreier said he didn't have to grind during his play through so I'd like to know which difficulty level he played on.

You don't need to grind on any difficulty other than Challenge. Safety showers you in EXP, but Easy, Normal and Hard all give the same amount and that's balanced very well.

SaiyanRaoh

I gave it a shot, went to Walmart during a skeleton crew to get a copy that I know is residing in the back. Got the guy to grab one and made it to the register when it was flagged for street date. Fuck. I should have led the guy to a self checkout. .....I'll try another Walmart for a sucker:)

yami4ct

I gave it a shot, went to Walmart during a skeleton crew to get a copy that I know is residing in the back. Got the guy to grab one and made it to the register when it was flagged for street date. Fuck. I should have led the guy to a self checkout. .....I'll try another Walmart for a sucker:)

Don't think you'll have luck with Wal Mart. Even if you tried to self checkout, there system would've flagged it and a manager would have to come in and deal with it. You'd have to be very, very lucky willing to find someone to willingly bypass street dates. They're hard locked in the system.

Jiraiza

Liking Morgana already. It helps that he's a cute cat.

The English dub is really good though, and I'm a total Japanese dub purist here.

yami4ct

i cant imagine playing this on anything higher than SAFETY

Once you get the quirks of it, One More has always been a fairly easy battle system to exploit. Certainly easier than basic SMT Press Turn. For P3 and P4 it's all been about making sure your personas are up to date, making sure to know and weaknesses/resistances and getting your buffs and debuffs up. Once you know all the pieces, it becomes fairly easy on the JRPG difficulty scale outside of secret bosses. Not sure the extent of P5's changes, but nothing I've seen has even remotely made it look like it's gonna be a massive difficulty bump over 3 and 4.

I think the clerk has to check it out themselve. They don't let you grab those items behind locked glass and roam around freely.

Reszo

Thank god I'm off on Tuesday. If Amazon messes this up I will not hesitate to drive to the nearest game store and purchase.

Thank god I'm off on Tuesday. If Amazon messes this up I will not hesitate to drive to the nearest game store and purchase.

I was just thinking this myself, I'm getting the Take Your Heart edition from Amazon but if it doesn't arrive on Tuesday I'll run out to a store and pick it up. (My copy still hasn't shipped)

I was just thinking this myself, I'm getting the Take Your Heart edition from Amazon but if it doesn't arrive on Tuesday I'll run out to a store and pick it up. (My copy still hasn't shipped)

I already do this. Amazon's been so bad with me that I order @ EB Games and return the Amazon copy to the EB Games once it arrives.

That way I get the discount of Amazon, and the on-time-release of EB Games.

Speaking of, does anyone know if any EB Games in Vancouver, Canada will be doing a midnight launch? If not, could I pick it up before they close on the Monday night? Do they do that?

Asked a few pages back, but is there a social stat that is generally the best to focus on so that you have access to more confidants sooner than later?

SamuraiX-

The thing about Persona's art direction is that it's heavy on contrasting the fantastic and real. Yes, if you've seen a lot of footage of the dungeons and battles and Phantom Thieves getups, it probably seems very saturated and over-the-top.

But a huge portion of the game is spent in a much more grounded "real world", where you'll sleep in some old dude's dusty attic and wander around back alleys on a cloudy day and get lost finding your transfer route on the subway. I recommend watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look, since I think it illustrates what I mean very well:

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-persona-5/2300-11912/

Nice, that's good to know. Thank you for that link. I feel like that sold me on the series more than any of the Persona media I've been exposed to over the years. Everything else felt like 90%-10% dungeons-to-real world and a mashup of random events so it all just felt so incoherent.

I'm really digging the anime cutscenes they showed.

Are you able to customize clothing for the characters in the real world?

DNAbro

Considering buying a digital copy just because it'll be around 4-5 PM when my steel book gets in.

The hype is just too real, guys.

I cancelled my physical order once I realized the earliest I would be playing on Tuesday would be like 8pm. Ready for that midnight launch.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's amusing that anime so often has American or Western characters as blonde with blue eyes. They made Ann only a quarter American (which can be anything) and she somehow gets that trope too, despite how recessive genes work :p

Just a weird anime trope and one of many, and I've played enough of Persona 4 to know it won't be the only one in this game, lol.

Hikami

Add me to the list of people who haven't had their game shipped yet from Amazon. Changed from shipping the 31st to shipping soon.

I have like a handful of other games I could be playing but I can't bring myself to start something up just to have to stop when Persona 5 arrives..

Dany

Banned
I would so love for this game to get a Pro patch. But it probably won't. At least do something to the textures lol

Steroyd

Woke to a lovely notification that my preload has started, hurts that I'll have it on my PlayStation and can't play it for another 41 hours and 35 minutes. :(

Raybunny

As my first Persona title, gave it at go yesterday for a couple of hours before resting. The art design is really something different.

Gestahl

Sheesh, I'm wondering if I should ramp the difficulty up, but I always start from default on a first run.

Unless you're fine with all your days being eaten from dungeoning and grinding I'd hold off on hard until around dungeon 3. I went back on NG+ and did a restricted run through the first two dungeons using only what would have been available at the time and even without having to worry about money or sp it was still pretty intense.

What's a good way to improve that one? I know about
the burger eating thing, but it hasn't been available when I've travelled there.

I am only like 13 hours in but I also found
renting horror dvd and watching it your room increases guts. You can buy a TV from the pawn shop by the cafe.Once you buy the TV the shopkeeper will throw in a DVD player for free. After that you can rent DVDs from the market district. You can also catch movies in the movie theater and based on the genre you can improve guts. From what I found so far.

haolee

Neo Member
What i don't understand is i saw a few reviews complaining that the music is getting repetitive... how? when the soundtrack has like 100 tracks...

By the time I finished the game last year, the music had certainly became repetitive and some were even annoying mostly the daily tracks. Shapeshifter makes me wanna kill a cat.

haolee

Neo Member
Asked a few pages back, but is there a social stat that is generally the best to focus on so that you have access to more confidants sooner than later?

All your social stats will need to be maxed to finish all the Confidants. Some will require a certain stats rank to start, others need it to progress, others need it to finish. Found this out the hard way with
Yusuke at one rank needing a Proficiency rank 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom