• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question for you folks.
I'm mostly an SMT main game fan, how about the Persona series though?
I know it shares the same monsters from the SMT main line series, but the music and everything is different, would be Persona 5 a game for me?
Played SMT 3, 4, and the SMT DS games, also SMT 4: Apocalypse.

I've played both Persona and SMT for a long time now, they're both great at what they do. As long as you don't go into it expecting the same as mainline SMT (no post apocalyptic scenario here, it's all modern day Japan), you'll be fine. If you enjoyed Devil Survivor anyway, then I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this since it's from the most of the same development team as SMT3 (including same Director Katsura Hashino and composer Shoji Meguro). It sounds like you enjoy a lot of Atlus' work like me, so definitely give it a go.

I've played both Persona and SMT for a long time now, they're both great at what they do. As long as you don't go into it expecting the same as mainline SMT (no post apocalyptic scenario here, it's all modern day Japan), you'll be fine. If you enjoyed Devil Survivor anyway, then I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this since it's from the most of the same development team as SMT3 (including same Director Katsura Hashino and composer Shoji Meguro). It sounds like you enjoy a lot of Atlus' work like me, so definitely give it a go.

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up.
I will get it hopefully on Monday, got a day off on Tuesday, looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Mind telling me which one is that? Spoiler tag if necessary

It's one of the ones Mishima sends you, Its localized name is apparently "Calling for Justice for Cats." You get it in mid August.

Kolx

Is there anyway to get the Japanese VA now? I got my physical version but I don't know if the English VA is good or not.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly far into the game, and it remains abundantly clear that Ryuji is criminally stupid.

parks-and-recreation-Jean-Ralphio-the-worst-worst-woooorst-1372637673p.gif

GNOSIS

So if I wanna be time efficient with side quests in Momentos, how long I can wait for all the guests to stack? Will they disappear after awhile? I don't see a deadline anywhere so I'm not sure.

Can I go to Momentos just once a month to clear all the side quests in on go?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
So if I wanna be time efficient with side quests in Momentos, how long I can wait for all the guests to stack? Will they disappear after awhile? I don't see a deadline anywhere so I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure none of the Mementos missions have deadlines, and if they do, they're very lenient.
Going once a month to clear a stack of missions would be a solid plan; I did that and never had any issues.

haolee

Neo Member

The GameFAQs guide has some dates for when to go to Mementos. It's once every few months. Once a month is too often, IMO. You need to focus on your social stats(guts, kindness, etc.).

The guide itself is generally really great and spoiler-free.

I think he was doomed from the start for me because he reminds me of too many of the personality trails I hated in Junpei. Ryuji
flies off the handle way too easy, takes the "adults are evil" stuff too far, and his inability to ever control his temper constantly puts the entire team into worse—and potentially dangerous—situations. I felt he had way too little growth over the course of the game, and never did anything to make me come to like him. Also, I hated his motivations for wanting to continue as the Phantom Thieves once things got going. I think that character needed to be there, and it makes sense, but I just couldn't stand HIS way of bringing that to the story. I constantly wished I had more dialog options to go directly against what Ryuji was saying.

I think, putting myself in the shoes of the MC, I'd never want a friend like Ryuji in really life, so it was super hard for me to relate to him or feel anything positive toward him. (While Yosuke was someone I could be friends with.)

Every time there was a text from Ryuji that I could then totally ignore, it made me a little happy inside. :D

You like Yosuke but not Ryuji? I... can't understand that opinion.

haolee

Neo Member
You like Yosuke but not Ryuji? I... can't understand that opinion.

I think it might be due to cultural differences. Yosuke and Ryuji both have tendencies that would label them as high school jock douchebags for westerners, whilst easterners might be more tolerant towards those kind of behavior. I knew people similar to them back in high school, and those kinds of people usually are strangely magnetic and genuinely likable.

Gestahl

Once every dungeon arc is generally the way to go.

daevious

I think it might be due to cultural differences. Yosuke and Ryuji both have tendencies that would label them as high school jock douchebags for westerners, whilst easterners might be more tolerant towards those kind of behavior. I knew people similar to them back in high school, and those kinds of people usually are strangely magnetic and genuinely likable.

Except Ryuji is disliked by the majority of Japanese players; they consider him too loud and too brash.

Okay, I think I got the social stat activities down.

In general you'll want to read books, watch movies, and rent videos to get that sweet (+3) to the respective stat, as for specific activities:

(I don't know who's sensitive to spoilers but just in case)

Proficiency
===========
Crafting (+2)
Fast food job (+3)

Kindness
========
Plant Nutrient (+3)
Family resturant Hamburger (+1)

Knowledge
=========
Family resturant Hamburger/coffee (+2)

Charm
=====
Bathhouse Monday and Thursday (+3)

Guts
====
Family restaurant coffee (+1)

Did I miss out anything?

I just got the scene with (6/18 spoiler)
the two gay stereotypes hitting on Ryuji.
Was mercifully brief and not quite as awful as I expected, but it was still entirely unnecessary.

I really like Ryuji so far. He's like super high school level dumb but aside from a few moments of generic stupid pervy anime friendism he's quite earnest and just a lot of fun.

On the flipside, I have nothing nice to say about Yosuke.

I can see why people would get lost in these train stations.
As a New Yorker I didn't have a problem with that part of the game at all. Just follow the signs y'all.
Edit: and I just replied to a post from last night. This is why you refresh before replying lol

Matsukaze

I'm not very far into the game but so far I'm liking Ryuji. He's more or less what I expected he would be. And his English VA is doing a much better job than I anticipated.

And I liked Yosuke, too, even if he could be a real dork at times. Go figure.

GNOSIS

I'm pretty sure none of the Mementos missions have deadlines, and if they do, they're very lenient.
Going once a month to clear a stack of missions would be a solid plan; I did that and never had any issues.

The GameFAQs guide has some dates for when to go to Mementos. It's once every few months. Once a month is too often, IMO. You need to focus on your social stats(guts, kindness, etc.).

The guide itself is generally really great and spoiler-free.

Thank you.

I don't wanna use a guide because I heard so many people saying that going in blind for this game is such a good experience.

I love JRPG and I always play them with guides. I also played P3 and 4 with guides. This one is one of the first JRPGs that I don't. (I use it for tests and Confidant's questions, though.)

It's going well so far. I know that I will be playing this again so I will use it on 2nd playthrough to maximise my experience with the game.

Btw, I just finished 2nd dungeon and I agree with others that the 2nd boss is quite unusually hard.

haolee

Neo Member
Hey now, Junpei is absolutely the best bro character in the Persona series solely because he's the only one to get any actual development.

Kinda unfair comparison, since Persona 3 is the only one in the trilogy to actually develop its party characters outside of the S. Links.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
By the time I finished the game last year, the music had certainly became repetitive and some were even annoying mostly the daily tracks. Shapeshifter makes me wanna kill a cat.

Why the fuck do they only use a few tracks when the OST has a ton of tracks on it? so stupid really. The music can get even "annoying" like you said... WTF Atlus??

Hey now, Junpei is absolutely the best bro character in the Persona series solely because he's the only one to get any actual development.

To be fair, most of his development was off the back of his disposable plot devi-- I mean love interest.

I think
Morgana stopped me from doing night activities for over 20 times ate this point.

I was joking about it yesterday(kinda), but it's getting ridiculous now.

Yeah, I agree it kinda feels like
Morgana is just running your life. Whatever he says, goes.

haolee

Neo Member
Why the fuck do they only use a few tracks when the OST has a ton of tracks on it? so stupid really. The music can get even "annoying" like you said... WTF Atlus??

I don't know what to say. The daily tracks stay the same throughout the game, and they're the worst offender. Dungeon tracks can also get repetitive if you stay too long in one, though individually they're far from bad.

Yeah, I agree it kinda feels like
Morgana is just running your life. Whatever he says, goes.

It's because
Morgana is basically the notification prompt we used to get back in P3 and P4. The ones where you're told "You feel too tired to study" etc. Most of those prompt are integrated to Morgana now

Three and a half hours in and it just feels really good to have "another one of these", especially in HD and with an utterly magnificent level of polish.

He also actually stops being an asshole at some point. Much less of one than Yosuke, at least.

Also Eikichi and Miyabi treat fat people like human beings which is amazing to look back on after P4's Hanako atrocity.

haolee

Neo Member
The gap should be huge For 6 as well

Depends. They struggled for a long time to create a new engine for P5, so they should really put it to good use before they need to adapt that for PS5 later on. At least 6 should still arrive in this console generation. They might want to use the momentum of 5 to create some spin-off titles, but it's also good to start work on 6 while there's still good buzz surrounding the franchise.

The P-Studio team that made P3-P5 is off to work on the fantasy RPG project, but they've said their B team has been handed off the reins for future mainline Persona titles. I think they already have plans for it, at the very least.

kadotsu

Banned
So is the JP language pack included in the pre-load? It's only 20GB. Will It be available on the store or updated via patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom