• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJShadow

A couple of questions about the first dungeon and time management:

I've finally reached the point where you are able to decide how to spend your time, and I was wondering how you guys deal with dungeons. I just reached the third floor of the first Palace, only have between 20-40% SP remaining for each character, and they just mentioned that they are starting to feel tired. Should I call it a day and go back to real world to recover and buy new items and stuff?

And as a general rule, when do you decide it's time to leave the dungeon to take a break?

Not that it's important, but it's strange that the box doesn't have the only on PlayStation on it when in fact it is. Future releases planned?

In the EU steelbook version the "Only on Playstation" tag is on the box

Gestahl

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant when you're still in the dungeon, not after you
send the calling card
. But as long as you don't
reach the treasure
, party member can still be ranked up.

Speaking of confidants and optimal dungeon clearing, there's also the
third
dungeon where it's preferable to clear it and the boss as soon as possible since that's the trigger for
Priestess
unlocking.

haolee

Neo Member

I've finally reached the point where you are able to decide how to spend your time, and I was wondering how you guys deal with dungeons. I just reached the third floor of the first Palace, only have between 20-40% SP remaining for each character, and they just mentioned that they are starting to feel tired. Should I call it a day and go back to real world to recover and buy new items and stuff?

And as a general rule, when do you decide it's time to leave the dungeon to take a break?

I basically kept powering through, and was occasionally met with a game over during the first two dungeons. Never took a break unless the dungeon had a barrier/block that can only be removed through story progression/backing out of the dungeon until the next day/event.

haolee

Neo Member
Speaking of confidants and optimal dungeon clearing, there's also the
third
dungeon where it's preferable to clear it and the boss as soon as possible since that's the trigger for
Priestess
unlocking.

Adding to this, you also need
Rank 3 Knowledge
to start that particular Confidant.

Gestahl

In the EU steelbook version the "Only on Playstation" tag is on the box

There's a
midboss
around halfway through. Most people generally get before that point or past it on the first day. That's a good point to take a break if you don't feel like pushing your luck.

The next dungeon is structured in such a way that you don't have to worry about SP that much and the ones after that you probably have more SP recovery options (don't neglect *Arcana*
Death
) so it gets less stressful.

cj_iwakura

Shout out to all my PS3 brethren out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

knp4yKc.gif

For those whose digital version is already pre-loaded, are you in Europe or U.S? I'm just wondering if pre-load isn't up in U.S yet or if something is wrong.

UK (so yeh Europe for now) pre-loads went live today. JP audio patch doesn't see to be live yet though.

Slaythe

What I'm mad about is that I didn't know the extra difficulty was a thing :/ ...

I wanted to start with the hardest right away so I went for hard... Unless you recommend not playing the DLC one first because too hard ?

Gestahl

What I'm mad about is that I didn't know the extra difficulty was a thing :/ ...

I wanted to start with the hardest right away so I went for hard... Unless you recommend not playing the DLC one first because too hard ?

It just cuts your gold and exp gain and there might be a crit multiplier not sure (but if you get critted on hard you're pretty much dead anyway, at least early on). I don't think it's worth bothering with.

haolee

Neo Member
1) ugh I was hoping the schedule wasn't too strict
2) Wait so no reward from the teacher or whatever? Just increases your charm?

Alright another question. What are the best elemental personas to go for early on

1) I might have done things the wrong way and inefficiently, but according to the guide after maxing the Confidants
they only had less than 20 days until the game's end. A lot of those remaining days are filled with story events that also restrict your free time.

2) I really don't remember anything regarding exams, truly sorry. It's been a few months since I finished the game and on my current new playthrough I'm only up to July.

As for your other question, between your starting party members you'll have
Darkness, Fire, Wind, and Electric
covered. I'd recommend getting a Persona for
Ice
, but I personally didn't find any until
Jack Frost
, by which point
Yusuke would've probably joined

You'd also need
Nuclear
early on for
the second and third
dungeon, the easiest Persona to get it on is
Makami

haolee

Neo Member
Genbu
the turtle snake thing is the earliest
Ice
user and is a life saver in the first dungeon.

Damn, wish I had checked its skills! I kept seeing it in the fusion page, but never thought to fuse it since the Persona I had to fuse it were the ones I need for some Confidants I was doing.

Slaythe

It just cuts your gold and exp gain and there might be a crit multiplier not sure (but if you get critted on hard you're pretty much dead anyway, at least early on). I don't think it's worth bothering with.

Alright, feel better about it then, thanks.

Gestahl

Damn, wish I had checked its skills! I kept seeing it in the fusion page, but never thought to fuse it since the Persona I had to fuse it were the ones I need for some Confidants I was doing.

I never noticed how vital it was till my restricted NG+ hard playthrough of the first dungeon. It actually made a decent chunk of it easier than the first playthrough. Those knights are a lot less threatening when a few sp sends them packing.

JJShadow

I basically kept powering through, and was occasionally met with a game over during the first two dungeons. Never took a break unless the dungeon had a barrier/block that can only be removed through story progression/backing out of the dungeon until the next day/event.

There's a
midboss
around halfway through. Most people generally get before that point or past it on the first day. That's a good point to take a break if you don't feel like pushing your luck.

The next dungeon is structured in such a way that you don't have to worry about SP that much and the ones after that you probably have more SP recovery options (don't neglect *Arcana*
Death
) so it gets less stressful.

Awesome, thank you guys! I think I'll keep pushing a bit then

1) I might have done things the wrong way and inefficiently, but according to the guide after maxing the Confidants
they only had less than 20 days until the game's end. A lot of those remaining days are filled with story events that also restrict your free time.

2) I really don't remember anything regarding exams, truly sorry. It's been a few months since I finished the game and on my current new playthrough I'm only up to July.

As for your other question, between your starting party members you'll have
Darkness, Fire, Wind, and Electric
covered. I'd recommend getting a Persona for
Ice
, but I personally didn't find any until
Jack Frost
, by which point
Yusuke would've probably joined

You'd also need
Nuclear
early on for
the second and third
dungeon, the easiest Persona to get it on is
Makami

Regarding Ice Personas,
you can also find Silky (the maiden-resembling one) in the first dungeon

Slaythe

I've made a huge mistake.......

Regarding fusion tutorial :

So the velvet room tutorial was forced on me and the only persona i could fuse was Arsene -_- So i lost him. Can I get him back or do I have to reload my save ? And even if I do, how am I supposed to get another persona since going into the dungeon triggers the fusion tutorial -_- .

Help me

Gestahl

So the velvet room tutorial was forced on me and the only persona i could fuse was Arsene -_- So i lost him. Can I get him back or do I have to reload my save ? And even if I do, how am I supposed to get another persona since going into the dungeon triggers the fusion tutorial -_- .

Help me

There's a compendium you can haul any persona out of for a fee. It's a series staple.

Help me

Haven't played the game yet, but you should have the compendium option right? It'll cost money, but you can resummon him (Though if he was never registered he'll be back at his starting level (so level 1)

That said you were probably going to fuse him at some point anyways

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

Help me

I get the impression this post is going to pop up a lot in this OT.
Yeah, that's scripted to happen. That's why there's a specific cutscene for it.
It's to drill home the idea that your starter Persona is useless and the way to get through the game is not to get attached to Personas.
If you really do want him back, you can summon him from the Compendium.

Slaythe

Oh ok thanks. I was getting angry because he was the best of my personas, to add insult to injury.

It's to drill home the idea that your starter Persona is useless and the way to get through the game is not to get attached to Personas.

Wow really.

Ok I was doing the opposite. I blame Persona4 Arena for making me think default Personas are the big deal. :p

Gestahl

I actually had a choice because I
caught a persona after getting pixie, probably pyro jack or something. Needless to say I was pretty confused when I actually did fuse Arsenne and that shit started playing all of a sudden

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Arsene is useless? but his design is so awesome. How can the main protagonist's persona be useless? o_O

Oh ok thanks. I was getting angry because he was the best of my personas, to add insult to injury.

Wow really.

Ok I was doing the opposite. I blame Persona4 Arena for making me think default Personas are the big deal. :p
Personas become vastly harder to level as you get them away from their base level. Leveling a persona that came from level 10 to level 11 is going to be many, many times easier than leveling a starting level 1 persona from 10 to 11. And since they also stop learning new skills pretty quickly, most persona hit a ceiling pretty damn quickly. Some have really optimized stats that can make them worth using a bit longer than you might otherwise, but generally you'll want to trade up quite a bit

Gestahl

Arsene is useless? but his design is so awesome. How can the main protagonist's persona be useless? o_O

He's probably one of the weaker MC persona if I remember right. Doesn't it have like two natural weaknesses? I think Izanagi only had one.

Eventually *persona viability*
every persona is viable but the costs of making that happen are pretty exorbitant all things considered.

Dang my amazon order still hasn't shipped.

If you live near an amazon fulfillment center, it'll ship tonight or early tomorrow.

I live in Indianapolis and there's a fulfillment center in Lexington, KY (I think that's the right city). Amazon has never made a preorder late for me. Literally the only time I've ever had a preorder arrive late was Final Fantasy XV and that's because UPS forgot to put it on a truck after it arrived in my city.

It cost about 2K to get him back, i did because i like his design, although he reverted the lvl 1 so he's not actually useful anymore.

Do the Persona designs get more interesting as you go on? As of yet they've all been pretty standard. Fairy, Imp, Knight etc.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Maybe you'll get P4 & possible P5 spoiler
some god version of that Persona like Izanagi no Okami in P4

Let's hope so.

He's probably one of the weaker MC persona if I remember right. Doesn't it have like two natural weaknesses? I think Izanagi only had one.

Hmm i hope there is a reason behind this.

It cost about 2K to get him back, i did because i like his design, although he reverted the lvl 1 so he's not actually useful anymore.

Do the Persona designs get more interesting as you go on? As of yet they've all been pretty standard. Fairy, Imp, Knight etc.

Persona as an SMT spinoff, uses demons, which as you get higher level become more unique and notable. So yeah low levels are generally generic mythological creatures whereas higher levels become more famous mythological creatures or things like gods

mclem

My Take Your Heart edition has dispatched....

...which I had completely forgotten that I'd placed an order for. Wasn't going to pick up P5 at launch straight away anyway, since Zelda is still very much my focus. But this... might well change things.

Once you get into the higher levels you definitely start seeing some weirder looking Personas. But the starter Personas and the party members Personas are always the most unique looking.

Hmm i hope there is a reason behind this.

The reason is that you're meant to replace them with better Personas as you level, you'll constantly be switching through Personas for most of the game. That's not to say that you can't use the starter Persona through the whole game, you just have to put in more work to make it viable.

artsi

They get better.

For example in previous games you could fuse tough mofo's like
Satan or Messiah
in the end.

Slaythe

Can anybody explain what the "online Thieves Guild" is ?

The ingame tutorial didn't give me a clue on how to use it or what it actually does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom