• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

How is it that they are getting the bad ending without specifically trying for it? Seems kinda strange.
You have to go to the end of mementos regardless of whether you previously went there or not right ? Cause the game specifically tells you to go to the depths.

Wrong bad ending. They're talking about (ENDING SPOILERS)
the one where you give the wrong answers to Sae in the interrogation room, so the protagonist gets shot for real and Game Over.

Jintor

my take so far is that atlus's grappling with sexuality comes from a very japanese place and is, for western tastes, very much two steps forward one step back.

that they're even talking about it is amazing. a low bar, but amazing.

that they sabotage themselves constantly is... unfortunately, to be expected. Not to dismiss it, but...

Lelcar

The first thing that has really bugged me is why I'm friends with
Goro Akechi

He is actively against the Phantom Thieves and none of us trust him. But it just forced his confidant onto me in the Justice arcana?? I mean, I have my suspicions that Goro is probably one of the villains of this game, I feel like he's the one who shoots you in the head when you get a game over, but I dunno. It's just an unnatural confidant

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I finally finished it. It's all over and I'm sad to see the characters go.
What a ride that was and definitely worth the 3 year wait but now what? I feel so empty now that it's all over. :(
I know this feel. :(

Totakeke

I don't know how the game is all about females suffering sexual violence and exploitation when there's Tae, Chihaya, Ohya, Futaba, Makoto, and even Sae.

Zafir

How is it that they are getting the bad ending without specifically trying for it? Seems kinda strange.
You have to go to the end of mementos regardless of whether you previously went there or not right ? Cause the game specifically tells you to go to the depths.

11/21ish spoilers
I think they're referring to the one which happens if you sell out your friends to Sae, and she walks out.

Weiss

Banned
Question about post-palace 6

Do I need to complete any links before this or am I fine even afterwards into November?

Jintor

This game is... kinda more intriguing in the s-links than in the main story sometimes

general s-link lvl 6-10 ranks
the fact all the side-slinks are resolving into "Yeah go steal these people's hearts" is... beginning to trouble me

Niks

I just started the game with Japanese dialogue. How do I change it to English? Do I have to start all over?

Edit: nvm just found out how

Lunar15

This game is... kinda more intriguing in the s-links than in the main story sometimes

the fact all the side-slinks are resolving into "Yeah go steal these people's hearts" is... beginning to trouble me

That was pretty much my main fear going into the game.

P3 and 4 were about learning how to cope with or deal with problems yourself. P5 kinda takes a weird route into "use magic to literally remove the people in your life who are holding you back".

Zafir

I just started the game with Japanese dialogue. How do I change it to English? Do I have to start all over?

You need to do it before loading a save, just press triangle and it'll swap the save to the other language. Then you can just load it up and it'll be English voices.

nOoblet16

Wrong bad ending. They're talking about (ENDING SPOILERS)
the one where you give the wrong answers to Sae in the interrogation room, so the protagonist gets shot for real and Game Over.
Oh that
I can see people doing that because you trust Sae by that point, I didn't see it as "selling out" but rather cooperating with someone who has a good understanding of my situation. What I don't understand is why revealing the names leads to Joker dying for real. Infact isn't the cutscene exactly the same as when you don't reveal their name? But if you don't reveal their names you get a cutscene later that shows him just sitting there and not dead.

Doesn't make sense, especially when you consider that Sae is your ally by then and becomes aware of who exactly are involved with the Phantom thieves the very same day during the evening.

But I said sexual exploitation and violence.

Let's not debate semantics.

My point is there are more female characters that don't suffer those issues than those that do.

I'm not debating semantics. Literally who in this thread is saying that the game is "all about" exploitation and violence against women? That isn't being said, nor is anyone arguing that most women in the game suffer those issues.

Totakeke

I'm not debating semantics. Literally who in this thread is saying that the game is "all about" exploitation and violence against women? That isn't being said, nor is anyone arguing that most women in the game suffer those issues.

The original post that raised these issues said "so often". So you're correct that no one said all.

Zafir

Oh that
I can see people doing that because you trust Sae by that point, I didn't see it as "selling out" but rather cooperating with someone who has a good understanding of my situation. What I don't understand is why revealing the names leads to Joker dying for real. Infact isn't the cutscene exactly the same as when you don't reveal their name? But if you don't reveal their names you get a cutscene later that shows him just sitting there and not dead.

Doesn't make sense, especially when you consider that Sae is your ally by then and becomes aware of who exactly are involved with the Phantom thieves the very same day during the evening.

11/21ish spoilers
Well, the real problem with doing that is, she got all she wanted from you. There was no reason to stay, and due to that the MC can't tell her to show the phone for the plan to work. If the plan didn't work, then the MC dies for real.

LotusHD

Banned
Lala is actually treated fairly well by the game, but I still was super disappointed when you work for her at the crossdressing question.

And I didn't choose to ask it and Morgana fucking said something about it anyways! Like fuck!

I thought whoever I quoted was referring to those random gay guys that were harassing Ryuji.

I wasn't referring to Lala.

OST of the generation.

It's up there, but I wouldn't say all that.

nOoblet16

So guys if I play Persona 4 or Persona 3 now what should I expect ? I wanna know how similar/dissimilar these games are...I do know the dungeons are randomly generated but I barely saw more than 2 floors of the first dungeon in Persona 3 so I don't know how different they become.

FluxWaveZ

Oh that

(ENDING SPOILERS):
Sae is absolutely not your friend at that point. She doesn't completely trust you either. She intends for you to be incarcerated at that point, as well as the rest of the Phantom Thieves. So what the protagonist is doing there is sealing the fate of his allies to the police, and diminishing Sae's trust in him as a result because she believed that he would be someone who valued his compatriots. That's obviously the kind of person she is. A leader who would just point his finger at everyone who lead him to that point isn't much different than other criminals who break down that Sae, as a prosecutor, must have dealt with regularly.

Squishy3

Oh that

Big story spoilers, don't click:
Somebody wasn't paying attention? If you give her the names she just walks out and nothing happens that leads to you being able to survive Akechi killing you. She doesn't tell the guard to take off to save his life, doesn't give Akechi the phone... etc. Plus Akechi would have access to the information she obtained of who the Thieves were and could easily eliminate them.The "bad end" being the exact same as revealing the truth is absolutely brilliant. I spent the entire time going through that thinking I fucked up.

Zolo

How much coffee should I keep around if I plan on buying the best Sp-restoring accessories from Tae soon?
So guys if I play Persona 4 or Persona 3 now what should I expect ? I wanna know how similar/dissimilar these games are...I do know the dungeons are randomly generated but I barely saw more than 2 floors of the first dungeon in Persona 3 so I don't know how different they become.
They're pretty much like that honestly. It's basically like Mementos in that angle. Definitely nothing like the story dungeons in Persona 5.

Guess Who

Banned

The dungeons in P3/P4 are basically what Mementos is in P5. Otherwise, they are very similar in structure to P5.

LotusHD

Banned
How much coffee should I keep around if I plan on buying the best Sp-restoring accessories from Tae soon?

I'm currently in the 4th palace with all four equipped, and I feel "invincible" lol

Like whenever I want a big SP recharge, I just stick to physical attacks for a bit.

The big problem is that they feel really out of place and aren't very funny. And they don't even make consistent sense. I mean you have (pre-palace 4)
Ann getting mad and calling Ryuji a perv
then at (post palace 4)
the beach she's joking with him about it? Then again the whole Beach boys vs. girls gag is pretty shit.
The worst offender by far though big post palace 7 spoilers)
is when the girls beat up Ryuji after it turns out he's alive. I mean just what the fuck? He saved them all lol.
Really poorly timed joke there and went with the absolute worst anime trope (girl beats up guy for laughs) to do it!

Haven't gotten to Palace 7 yet but, yeah, that's exactly it. They're, like, not even good, original jokes.

It's particularly grating that most of the anime cutscenes focus on Ann fanservice.

It is... so fucking weird. The male characters are never more predatory than in the anime cutscenes. Almost every one has them oogling Ann like idiots. They never do that in the game either so it feels especially dissonant. Like they have to take advantage of how titillating 2D animation can be compared to their in-engine scenes. Problem is, the animation quality isn't on par with the rest of the game (the portraits and what not) or, say, something Trigger would produce, so it's like they didn't even succeed at what they set out to do.

And look at your avatar! Little Witch Academia. A brilliant anime (at least the OVAs, haven't seen the series). Thrilling and fun and hilarious, and it doesn't use fan service at all (thank god -- they're children). Persona could totally have really funny scenes and really dark and dramatic scenes without making the player complicit in their exploitation of the characters.

my take so far is that atlus's grappling with sexuality comes from a very japanese place and is, for western tastes, very much two steps forward one step back.

that they're even talking about it is amazing. a low bar, but amazing.

that they sabotage themselves constantly is... unfortunately, to be expected. Not to dismiss it, but...

This is true, I'll give it that much. It at least aims to deliver a very positive protective message, even if it fumbles regularly in the execution.

grimmiq

Finished my first (hard) playthrough last night at 72 hours. I'd say this overtook P4G as my favourite Persona game leading in to the final act. Going to start NG+ tonight, I got to the point where it felt like the story was ending so just started grinding out stats and ignoring Confidants, so still have a lot of new stuff to see. Ended with about 55% compendium completion.

Jintor

i mean, it's persona so it was always going to be this way, but there's probably another few journals worth of gender studies/cultural studies essays to be written on p5

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I thought that Iwai was 20-something. Then I started his Confidant and
he has a teenager son lol
Anime rules: You look 20 until you're 50, when you start to look ancient (or badass and grizzled).

The only realistically middle aged adults are the math teacher and Kamoshida

nOoblet16

(ENDING SPOILERS):
Sae is absolutely not your friend at that point. She doesn't completely trust you either. She intends for you to be incarcerated at that point, as well as the rest of the Phantom Thieves. So what the protagonist is doing there is sealing the fate of his allies to the police, and diminishing Sae's trust in him as a result because she believed that he would be someone who valued his compatriots. That's obviously the kind of person she is. A leader who would just point his finger at everyone who lead him to that point isn't much different than other criminals who break down that Sae, as a prosecutor, must have dealt with regularly.
But still
How does this all lead to Joker dying ? Does she not take Joker's phone and show it to Akechi or what when you make the deal? If she doesn't then I understand why Joker dies but if she does then why does he die?

And ok she isn't my friend at that point but she becomes by friend (if Joker doesn't die) by the same night. She wouldn't have prosecuted all of them over an afternoon. She would've heard the news of Joker's death the same as she does when you don't reveal your friends. Sae already knows Makoto is involved so she wasn't gonna go out prosecuting them as soon as she got out of that room.

This has been a big sticking point with me too. I love the game, but those tropey anime moments (which veer inherently misogynistic) really detract from the experience.

Makes me wonder if the team that takes over for Persona 6 will steer the ship further in that direction or course correct away. Who knows.

But goddamn, everything else is just so good.

I kind of hold a little hope that P6 has a female lead, if only because that might put a damper on the male-gazey moments.

Although it'd probably just be worse. >_<

nOoblet16

Anime rules: You look 20 until you're 50, when you start to look ancient (or badass and grizzled).

The only realistically middle aged adults are the math teacher and Kamoshida
Sae and Tae don't look like teenagers..especially Sae who could just as well be 30 and look the same and it would still appear plausible (which she should have been considering her position)

The teacher doesn't look middle aged nor does Kamoshida..More like late 20s or early 30s for the teacher and early to late 30s for Kamoshida.

Zolo

I thought that Iwai was 20-something. Then I started his Confidant and
he has a teenager son lol

That could still technically make him a twenty-something depending on how old he was. :|

Also in mid-July and think I'm doing pretty good on my stats.

Knowledge: 4 (I went to the cafe a lot during rainy season)
Guts: 3
Charm: 3
Proficiency: 3
Kindness: 2

Sae and Tae don't look like teenagers..especially Sae who could just as well be 30 (which she should have been considering her position)
I thought about this pre-release, but I also felt she couldn't be TOO old considering that couples generally don't have kids that far apart in age. I thought she was late 20s though.

FluxWaveZ

But still
How does this all lead to Joker dying ? Does she not take Joker's phone and show it to Akechi or what when you make the deal? If she doesn't then I understand why Joker dies but if she does then why does he die?

And ok she isn't my friend at that point but she becomes by friend (if Joker doesn't die) by the same night. She wouldn't have prosecuted all of them over an afternoon. She would've heard the news of Joker's death the same as she does when you don't reveal your friends. Sae already knows Makoto is involved so she wasn't gonna go out prosecuting them as soon as she got out of that room.

(ENDING SPOILERS):
Sae does not show the phone in the bad ending. How could she? The whole reason she shows the phone in the first place is because the protagonist buys enough time to remember that that's crucial to the plan. That's why there's so much emphasis by his partners, after the fact, that the entire thing revolved around Joker convincing her to do it, and it made everyone nervous. He doesn't do that in the bad ending.

Well, all of this applies after the point where the protagonist gets shot in the head, so the point is kind of moot.

SolVanderlyn

Sae and Tae don't look like teenagers..especially Sae who could just as well be 30 and look the same and it would still appear plausible (which she should have been considering her position)
They're also not middle aged though, they're young adults.

Tae I actually don't know how old she is, but she looks late 20's/early 30's to me.

Jintor

10/11

Game: "Everything's great! All things are going well! Look how a good time these guys are having!"
Me: "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck they're just setting things up to pull the rug out from under me oh fuck oh fuck don't enjoy this fuuuuckkkkk"

Ydelnae

Goro: "Hey I thought it would be nice if I stopped by to get some coffee-"

Dialogue options:
> Yeah sure
> Please leave

I'm dying at how harsh the MC can be to him lmao

yuuki

But still

dont you get it? She has the informations she wanted and will just leave the room with all she needed and wanted to know. And She just as well could have revealed all names but her sister, is that so hard to understand/imagine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom