• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That's frankly impressive. I went in blank last year and was still off by a handful of Confidants.

I've seen a few people say that and it's confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea what I was doing with my time instead, but I'm only maxed out on about half of them. Granted, I'm not at the very end yet, but I feel like things are starting to wrap up.

welp, guess atlus USA won't release the japanese voice DLC early unlike europe... Still nothing on the PSN right now and i will get my game in a few hours :(

JJShadow

Well, there we go again: stuck at work for 8 more hours and only thing I can think is coming back home and play this lol There goes my productivity

So I just finished Horizon and I feel I need to play something different before going into another open world game like Zelda, will this a good game to play in between?

Well, if you are willing to spare 100+ hours of your gaming time before playing Zelda, go for it lol P5 is shaping to be one of the GOTG, and it is one of the best JRPGs ever made definitely

Yu Narukami

I finished the game with all confidants maxed and two weeks to spare. I didn't have advance knowledge about the
stat requirements
but I did have some advice from a friend as to which confidants would be beneficial to work on early.

EDIT: I did not, however, come anywhere close to completion on
retro games, DVD rentals, fishing or shopping, though I did do most of the books.
Do you mind sharing which ones and why? Feel free to spoiler tag it.

So what is the verdict on english VA? I thought the one in P4G was pretty good even when people really seemed to hate the new Chie (never heard the old one myself).

Pachimari

No, you can buy equipment from the shop, but you won't be able to do so as comfortably and as regularly as you'd like, and most likely you won't be able to buy for all party members. You can get weapons and protectors from chests in dungeons, but they're kind of rare.

The point is, the amount of money you get will never seem enough for you to freely spend.
Oh man I hate stuff like this cause I'll always be afraid of buying the wrong stuff and wasting my money.

Use the demon conversation options to extort money from them. Level up the social link that improves persuasion (you won't get access to it for a little bit in game, don't remember when). If you don't extort money, you'll never have enough. If you use it liberally, you'll be swimming in it by the end of the third dungeon.
This sounds like a neat little trick I'll make use of, thanks!

mike6467

Well, my game finally shipped. Coming to Denver from Fort Worth. Amazon claims it'll be here tomorrow (the 4th), but the UPS tracking number has yet to update with a scheduled delivery date. I know they don't work in specialty deliveries, but I would happily pay $10 or more for them to go out of their way to let me know what's happening with my shit in detail and to let me know that they were going out of their way to get it to me in the shortest amount of time possible. This release date shipping is sketchy at best and misleading at worst.

Edit: Scratch that. UPS now stating it'll be here Wednesday. Guess I have to call Amazon later today and roll some heads. This gets me what, a free month of Prime or something? God. Damnit.

Edit 2: I had next day delivery, and it looks like they shipped it using standard ground. I may call some smaller stores around here tomorrow and see what other options I have. I really want the TYH edition, but at this point I'm not sure I want it THAT much, and I'm even less sure I want to give Amazon my money for this when it seems like the fuck it up more often then not.

marmoka

Banned
According to the postal service, I am supposed to get the game today.

Please!! Make that happen flying spaguetti monster!!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh man I hate stuff like this cause I'll always be afraid of buying the wrong stuff and wasting my money.

In my opinion, to alleviate the money problem somewhat it's a good idea to just stick to the four you are maining with the MC filling in the role of whatever your group is lacking.

Herbshire

Well, there we go again: stuck at work for 8 more hours and only thing I can think is coming back home and play this lol There goes my productivity

Well, if you are willing to spare 100+ hours of your gaming time before playing Zelda, go for it lol P5 is shaping to be one of the GOTG, and it is one of the best JRPGs ever made definitely

Hah, I just might be. Little tired of open worlds at the moment, 100+ hours, crikey. :)

Gestahl

Here's a consolidated list of basic, mostly spoiler free tips for maxing out all arcana and human parameters:

#1: Get Death to rank 7 as soon as possible. This is one of the earliest SLs available so this should come naturally for near any playthrough. Rank 7 unlocks the discount for the SP regen accessory which lets you buy it for a cool 50k.

#2: When you unlock Temperance mainline it as soon as possible. Its effects (which involve giving you more free time) are greatest the sooner you complete it and you won't be able to progress it past a certain point until fall if you don't reach that point before summer.

#3: Give the plant the best fertilizer as soon as it's ready. You get free understanding or kindness or whatever it's called in English. TV also has free knowledge opportunities so check every day.

#4: Devil and Sun give shitloads of charm so it's a good idea to focus on those when you need to bump charm up a notch.

#5: Hierophant takes forever to rank up to 3 and 4, but you get free relationship points by making coffee so do that instead of talking to them until they're ready to pop.

#6: Sun cuts off a full month before the other links but the game will tell you about a month before the deadline so just make sure you have it up to 6 or 7 by then and you'll be able to complete it easily.

#7: Fortune is a good one to rank up because they can give you free relationship points for any other character at rank 7 for 5000 yen. Just starting Fortune is a huge investment however (100k and a Mementos mission!!!!) so you may have to make sacrifices to get it up that high that quickly. I never bothered until near the end and managed just fine.

#8: You still need the corresponding arcana in your persona deck per confidant. Just haul out a cheap one if you don't have it.

#9: Most non-party member confidants have Mementos mission blocks in their SL (usually after rank 7). Plan your trips into the dungeon carefully if you have a lot of links nearing 8.

#10: Rainy days give you knowledge boosts the same as before. Study in the restaurant so you get a free additional stat boost besides knowledge (guts or courage is usually a good choice early on). The bathhouse also gives you a charm boost on a rainy day or Mondays and Thursdays. Always aim for 3 or more points instead of 2.

#11: On Sundays, you can buy a 5000 yen health drink in the subway that raises one stat by one. Hitting this every week is costly but a good way of maxing stats out with as little time investment as possible.

The only thing I did was game social link answers and check their schedules occasionally online near the end and I maxed them all out with 3-4 days to spare.

mike6467

So I just finished Horizon and I feel I need to play something different before going into another open world game like Zelda, will this a good game to play in between?

I'm kind of here as well. I got furloughed from work at the best possible time (as far as unemployment goes) right around Christmas. I was actually super psyched when we finished our last project and they told me we probably wouldn't see anything else until May. So right now I've beaten Yakuza 0, I'm on the last mission of Horizon, which I swore I'd beat before I started P5. I'm also about 32 hours into Nier and 8 hours into Zelda.

I'm 8 hours into Zelda because I realized what getting into that meant, and with all the open world out there (I am so, so sick of going to resource points and gathering shit), I think I'm going to postpone Zelda one more game and dive full on into Persona. Seems like a good palette cleanser, and hopefully they release a few more patches for Zelda that help out the framerate.

Oh. God.... yeah I just realized I put FFXV on hold as well because they were implementing that chapter 13 stuff. So I guess I'll do that after Zelda. By then my office should (hopefully) have work and I'll head back to the real world. Glad I had the opportunity to do this though, as an adult I doubt anything like it will ever be possible again.

suracity

BTW a tip regarding the quiz in the class
Press the touchpad to check the vote percentage among other players. Go with the highest one. You may doubt the legitimacy of some of the answers but game will reward you for your faith in the fellow players.

Yu Narukami

I'm kind of here as well. I got furloughed from work at the best possible time (as far as unemployment goes) right around Christmas. I was actually super psyched when we finished our last project and they told me we probably wouldn't see anything else until May. So right now I've beaten Yakuza 0, I'm on the last mission of Horizon, which I swore I'd beat before I started P5. I'm also about 32 hours into Nier and 8 hours into Zelda.

I'm 8 hours into Zelda because I realized what getting into that meant, and with all the open world out there (I am so, so sick of going to resource points and gathering shit), I think I'm going to postpone Zelda one more game and dive full on into Persona. Seems like a good palette cleanser, and hopefully they release a few more patches for Zelda that help out the framerate.

Oh. God.... yeah I just realized I put FFXV on hold as well because they were implementing that chapter 13 stuff. So I guess I'll do that after Zelda. By then my office should (hopefully) have work and I'll head back to the real world. Glad I had the opportunity to do this though, as an adult I doubt anything like it will ever be possible again.
Finish Horizon, then Nier and then play P5.

Gestahl

Oh and in the JP version, there was a money exploit that gives you access to virtually unlimited funds. I wouldn't abuse it unless you want to get rid of any semblance of economy the game has but the gist of it is that:

*no story spoilers*

A large portion of Mementos sub bosses are heavily susceptible to confusion. Demons randomly drop money when they're confused and this isn't just for show. It enters your wallet once you leave the battle. Bosses drop a fuckton in comparison and this scales with your equipped personas luck stat. And some of these weak to confusion bosses use support skills when they get unconfused, which means they won't deal damage and can be infinitely chain-confused forever safely. Using the highest SP regen accessory you can get as an infinite pulinpa battery you can max out your funds (around 10 million yen I think) in a single battle. I've gotten over a 100K from a single round in NG+ off of equipping an endgame persona.

Squishy3

Wait, what?
I'm not getting an option to download it. Not in the library nor in the store.
There's one labeled like Persona 5 pre-order that's not downloadable and there should be one that's just Persona 5, if it behaves like it does on the US store.

Oh and in the JP version, there was a money exploit that gives you access to virtually unlimited funds. I wouldn't abuse it unless you want to get rid of any semblance of economy the game has but the gist of it is that:

*no story spoilers*

A large portion of Mementos sub bosses are heavily susceptible to confusion. Demons randomly drop money when they're confused and this isn't just for show. It enters your wallet once you leave the battle. Bosses drop a fuckton in comparison and this scales with your equipped personas luck stat. And some of these weak to confusion bosses use support skills when they get unconfused, which means they won't deal damage and can be infinitely chain-confused forever safely. Using the highest SP regen accessory you can get as an infinite pulinpa battery you can max out your funds (around 10 million yen I think) in a single battle. I've gotten over a 100K from a single round in NG+ off of equipping an endgame persona.

that's quite good! I'll use it in case of emergency! I don't know anything about the game, can mementos be revisited and sub-bosses respawn?

Gestahl

that's quite good! I'll use it in case of emergency! I don't know anything about the game, can mementos be revisited and sub-bosses respawn?

No, bosses are one and done, but there's a bunch of them that this works on. Test it on the mandatory tutorial Mementos fight if you get a chance because that's the first one it works on.

Dantero

There's one labeled like Persona 5 pre-order that's not downloadable and there should be one that's just Persona 5, if it behaves like it does on the US store.

Well, if there is one that's just Persona 5 then I'm too dumb to find it. Search in the store is only Persona 5 pre-order. And the library has only the additional downloads but not the game.

Kolx

When does the world open as in I can go and improve my confidant with other people and explore the world? I'm now on 4\15
in the palace
and the game has been so far linear?! no confidant other than
Arcane (lvl1) and Chariot (lvl1).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Awesome, the JP dub download says even if you already started with ENG voices you can still change to japanese without losing any progress.

Good job, Atlus.

Zeusy

So I've never played persona, I just beat Hotizon, passed on Mass effect due to the backlash. Should I dabble in P5?

mike6467

Finish Horizon, then Nier and then play P5.

Yeah, I'll beat Horizon today. As far as Nier goes, I'm about 4 hours into route C and haven't done more then a handful of sidequests, so I know I don't have a ton left.

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm not quite as high on that game as a lot of people are. It's a great game, and I'm enjoying it, but it seems since beating route A I've felt like I've had to force myself to keep going. All the posts that said, "you're right at the point where the game really gets amazing, keep going!" made me grind through rather then play because I was really hooked into it. So I'm thinking a breather from that might help me appreciate it more in the long run.

With that said, I have enough gaming time right now, and the gameplay seems varied enough between Nier and P5 that I should be able to bounce between the two and take my time finishing Nier without dampening the P5 experience.

N30RYU

Wait, what?
I'm not getting an option to download it. Not in the library nor in the store.
It's even up the 2,896 Gb of the Japanese patch in the spanish store and the free items like the new difficult and the healing item and skill card sets. (the DLCs only shows right now via smartphone APP or PC browser)

haolee

Neo Member
welp, guess atlus USA won't release the japanese voice DLC early unlike europe... Still nothing on the PSN right now and i will get my game in a few hours :(

It's kinda weird that EU got the DLC first, since time-zone-wise, the Asian region and Australia should've gotten it first, and it's still quite far from midnight, April 4th for those regions. USA would logically get it last by any rate.

Can you download Persona's free DLC without having the physical game yet? (PS4, North America)

I'm not super familiar with how PSN works in this regard.

Gestahl

Can you download Persona's free DLC without having the physical game yet? (PS4, North America)

I kind of doubt it but they are all key unlocks more or less so it's not like it would eat much time either way

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Yes you can but you can't install without the game.

Death (at least rank 5, 7 is better) - unlocks accessories that give you SP after taking a turn in battle, makes it possible to clear palaces in one day and knock out multiple mementos missions with ease.
Temperance (max asap) - lets you do stuff at night even after doing mementos or a palace.
Fortune (rank 7 I think?) lets you spend 50000 yen to get non-level-up confidant advancement, doesn't take time, can be done once a day (lets you spend more time working on parameters while still working towards confidant advancement)

Focus on those three as early as possible and you'll be able to accumulate a fair amount of free time by endgame.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Gestahl's list of tips is really good. Way more than I knew going in though.

It's kinda weird that EU got the DLC first, since time-zone-wise, the Asian region and Australia should've gotten it first, and it's still quite far from midnight, April 4th for those regions. USA would logically get it last by any rate.

Deep Silver decided to release it one day prior i guess, it's available since midnight april 3rd, they knew a lot of people would get it today.... First time i screwed myself, since i live in europe too, but i pre-ordered the game in US almost one year ago, and i already paid so i didn't want to bother cancelling

Why ATLUS USA, WHY? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom