• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmdBash

The treasure section when you go to sell things isn't used for anything else other than for $$$ right? I can just sell it to the weapons store.

Jb

So, uh, how does the baseball mini-game work exactly? I tried hitting X when the ball filled the bat's silhouette but ended up missing 5 times in a row...

Cheska

Anyone else's Take Your Heart Out Edition from Amazon stuck on shipping soon?

I'm so irritated.I've had this preordered since day one :(

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
First dungeon boss down.

That was ridiculously easy compared to the actual dungeon. The way you finally tackle the boss (
leave calling card which, for no reason whatsoever, wastes THAT day and FINALLY attacking the next day which is also wasted
) was just stupid, but at least I did it in the minimum amount of days.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's awful, but it's at least somewhat tolerable here compared to, say, Witcher 3.

does it matter beating palaces in the minimum amount of days? i try to space out my time in palaces with life activities in the full alotted time? should i just be rushing through the palace asap?

Venfayth

Answer in spoilers if necessary, but are there any early game confidants or tasks you should focus on? Either for convenience or necessity for completion ?

Xater

Be careful out there. There are Twitter bots spoiling Persona 5. I only got partially spoiled I think because I quickly realized what I was reading. I can't even tell you the name of the bot because that is a spoiler. Maybe mute a bunch of stuff related to Persona including character names.

This game is so damn stylish! Even the menus are hype as heck to navigate.

tumblr_mybwujIC4V1qh59n0o2_500.gif

Man work is going to feel long as hell today. Going to be thinking about my copy sitting at home.

aravuus

does it matter beating palaces in the minimum amount of days? i try to space out my time in palaces with life activities in the full alotted time? should i just be rushing through the palace asap?

Well, the faster you finish dungeons, the more free time you have to do other stuff. Improve stats, do social links etc. It's highly doubtful you'll be able to do everything you want (if you want to do all social links etc) on your first run even if you did manage to finish the dungeons in the minimum number of days, so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

I admit I'm a dumbass when it comes to these games, but seeing how hard even the first dungeon was to finish in one day on easy no less, I'd say you shouldn't even expect to finish dungeons in just the min number of days.

Answer in spoilers if necessary, but are there any early game confidants or tasks you should focus on? Either for convenience or necessity for completion ?

For confidants, getting
Death
to rank 7 has been one I've seen mentioned since it'll give you a big discount on some SP regenerating accessory iirc.
Temperance
is another that gives you important bonuses. No idea when you unlock them, though.

Generally, the minimum you can beat them is 2 or 3 days. I forget if you can do the calling card the same day as the boss. Though there are some levels that may require extra days. You don't need to rush through them. As I believe the game will force you to do the palace if you wait too long. The only reason for you to do them early, is so you can focus on daily life stuff.

JJShadow

Is there a date like the last one that shit needed to be done by?

Yes, you always have a deadline to complete dungeons, but the game is really generous regarding how much time it gives you to complete them (two weeks for the first one, for example)

Rozart

Uh... Did I just screw myself over?

The game is forcing me to fuse personas and since I'm only level 5, the only personas that I can fuse together are
Jack-o-Latern and Arsene. To create a Mandrake of all things.

Is there really no way to back out of this?

drac96

I feel like I'm not meant to play this game today. It was delayed in transit due to severe weather (It's raining). Now it has no ETA. A friend who lives two streets away also ordered it on the same day from the same place. His is out for delivery...

muteki

The game is forcing me to fuse personas and since I'm only level 5, the only personas that I can fuse together are

You can buy back personas you registered to the compendium.

But you shouldn't really get attached to Arsene either just because it is the MC's starting persona. Eventually it becomes useless.

Saphirax

You can buy both of your personae back once you fuse them. Although it's not worth the money.

JJShadow

Don't worry, actually you're "supposed" to fuse Arsene, you will get even a specific cutscene. This is they way the game tells you not to get "attached" to specific Personas, as the only way to get the strongest ones is by fusing constantly

Rozart

Nooo. Welp. I really liked the look of Arsene. And I certainly wasn't expecting to part with him /this/ early on.

The frustrating thing is I could have kept him around longer if I hadn't talked Incubus into joining up with me. (Seeing as how a Pixie and a Jack-o-Latern would have given me a level 5 Incubus). I've been trying to discard him but I guess I can't do that just yet?

Edit:

Don't worry, actually you're "supposed" to fuse Arsene, you will get even a specific cutscene. This is they way the game tells you not to get "attached" to specific Personas, as the only way to get the strongest ones is by fusing constantly

Well...if it's something that's /supposed/ to happpen then I guess I don't feel too bad about
losing him this early.

Bendo

2) Person games are like a generation behind graphically and have always been. The last games were basically PS2 games released during PS3 era and uprezzed for PS3. This one is basically a PS3 game uprezzed for PS4. But I don't see any benefits at all apart from higher resolution. It's still 30FPS, uses same assets and the textures are low quality. Some of it is important because for instance early in the game I was trying to find something just by looking at the sign posts but they were so low res that I could barely read anything at all. Don't get me wrong it still looks great but it could look so much better and if not then at least run at 60FPS which would make it feel better. I didn't mind Yakuza 0 looking the same because it ran at 60FPS.

I'm absolutely loving the game, but it really does feel like a PS3 game that fell into a time portal. I wonder what they spent those two extra years on, because large parts of the game feel like they were just lifted straight out of P4 and given a new coat of paint. I'm not exactly complaining, but I do wish they'd spent some time changing up the daily life mechanics.

Semi spoilerish rant:
I was super bummed last night when I realised I would have to sit through one week of exams and then another week of dungeon exposition without any opportunity to go outside my room. You're telling me i can't read a book or go return a DVD during the evening because I have an appointment _after school tomorrow_? Seriously Morgana? I get that Atlus doesn't want to give the player too much rope to hang themselves, but it still feels extremely hand-holdey at times.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I have pretty much 0 HP and SP and i'm stuck in the first dungeon... any beginner tips how to move forward? I have 5 days left to find the treasure so should i just leave the castle and buy some healing items?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I asked this in another thread but:

im not sure if this falls on localization or cultural differences or what, but watching the quicklook, why is the main character
being treated like absolute shit and a heinous criminal for... SAVING A WOMEN FROM BEING RAPED
?

Is that actually explained?

thats like first hour spoilers, basically the premise btw, but I know some people are ultra sensitive to spoilers.

As i was playing this was really bothering me lol

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Nooo. Welp. I really liked the look of Arsene. And I certainly wasn't expecting to part with him /this/ early on.

The frustrating thing is I could have kept him around longer if I hadn't talked Incubus into joining up with me. (Seeing as how a Pixie and a Jack-o-Latern would have given me a level 5 Incubus). I've been trying to discard him but I guess I can't do that just yet?

Edit:

Well...if it's something that's /supposed/ to happpen then I guess I don't feel too bad about
losing him this early.

pretty sure you can just buy arsene back for like 2500 gold from Igor

question - do buffs/debuffs stack in battle? like if raise attack twice in a row, will it stack or just extend the rounds and attack stays the same as just raising it once?

muteki

You can play however you want, but you are going to be encountering new personas often, and fusing them just as quick. They come and go, and with each fusion comes new abilities or higher stats. Sure you can latch on to one or the other but early on you will really be limiting yourself.

I fuse as soon as I see there is someone new to make, and as long as I have all my offensive elements and recovery spells covered, I don't care.

I have pretty much 0 HP and SP and i'm stuck in the first dungeon... any beginner tips how to move forward? I have 5 days left to find the treasure so should i just leave the castle and buy some healing items?

You can't really 1-day dungeons in P5 as easy as you could in other games. At least not early on.

orkanamn

Banned
They really should create a custom Android OS with those sounds and slick design, I bet it would sell like crazy, hope sony is listening, might get them out of the dumpster in the smartphone department.
At least a theme! It would be awesome!

Dear Sony/atlus, please at least release it for the Xperia theme engine and then we can probably port it to other devices ourselfs! ^^

aravuus

Pfft, peeps running out of money. I upgraded everything for everyone after the first dungeon and I've still got over 18k yen. Didn't even sell the soma!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Let's say Ann dies during a battle, does she still get EXP at the end of the fight if she's dead?

gagecube

Banned
As i was playing this was really bothering me lol

I've only played around 3 hours but
When you first go to bed and you have the kinda flashback about the attack,the man says something about how hes shaping this city and how the police are his bitches etc etc. I assumed he is in some kind of power and fucked the kid over for meddling.
I dunno though, Im only three hours in

Edit: I'm dumb and misremembered, what I say below is wrong lol

Just over two hours in now, on the evening of 4/11. Quick question about a gameplay mechanic, you can spoiler tag your answer if you want.

I remember that in Persona 4, it was best to complete a dungeon on the last possible day, since the game would jump ahead a bit if you finished it early, and you would lose those days for Social Linking. Is that the same in Persona 5?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Pfft, peeps running out of money. I upgraded everything for everyone after the first dungeon and I've still got over 18k yen. Didn't even sell the soma!

yeah same, i find it REALLY easy to get money so far ( in 2nd palace)

i just fight every enemy on my map, and steal every obj available. only worked once so far

Rozart

I know it was probably detrimental to my game but I held onto Izanagi for the longest while in P4.

O well. I'm a big girl. I'll live with it.

muteki

What does that mean exactly? how can i progress from here on?

When you leave and sleep you get your HP/SP restored.

So if you are running out of HP/SP in-dungeon and can't really proceed further and don't have items to restore it, find a safe room and leave and come back a different day and pick up where you left off.

But i have only 5 days left, how many do i need for the dungeon?

Took me about 4 days I think for the first dungeon. I'm not super conservative with SP but I'm not spending it left and right either. Generally you want to get in the dungeons and make progress when they first open to you and save side stuff for the down time afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom