• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over two hours in now, on the evening of 4/11. Quick question about a gameplay mechanic, you can spoiler tag your answer if you want.

I remember that in Persona 4, it was best to complete a dungeon on the last possible day, since the game would jump ahead a bit if you finished it early, and you would lose those days for Social Linking. Is that the same in Persona 5?

Persona 4 did that? I don't remember Persona 4 doing that.

Been on hold with Amazon customer service for 23 minutes now. This is the worst experience I've ever had with them. I'll think twice about getting games/release day items from Amazon now. If I'm given the option I'm canceling this shit and popping by Gamestop later today. Ridiculous

Weiss

Banned
Is anyone else having problems with the display? It looks like I'm playing an HD game in SD. The GUI is stretched to the edge of the screen and sometimes it drops off. It's weird.

Shikoba

Persona 4 did that? I don't remember Persona 4 doing that.

I don't think that's right... I used to play it on the easiest mode and beat the dungeon in one night. Then I would just enjoy the social aspects. Did that one a few playthroughs. I don't recall any skipping of days.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is anyone else having problems with the display? It looks like I'm playing an HD game in SD. The GUI is stretched to the edge of the screen and sometimes it drops off. It's weird.

I have the same problem sometimes with the subtitles but it doesn't really bother me.

Is there a point where the game teaches me how to sneak/hide behind something?

Yes.

Sn4ke_911

There should be a on screen overlay/prompt on objects you can hide behind/jump between. You can't do it just anywhere.

But he needs to wait for the tutorial, you can't do it before.

Persona 4 did not do that. If you did it early, you could still play normally.

I don't think that's right... I used to play it on the easiest mode, beat the dungeon in one night, and enjoy the social aspects, and a few playthroughs. I don't recall any skipping of days.

Yeah, let me rephrase: Persona 4 definitely did not do that but I don't want to be confrontational about it.

That would totally destroy the balance of the game. Can you imagine? Losing out on like a month of personal and S.Link progress because you beat the dungeon early? You'd never recover.

Yushi

Arriving Thursday? Really amazon. F***

Getting the credit and cancelling.

I wanted the plushy but screw that, I wanted the game.
Guess I have to get it digitally. No way am I hunting for a box

aravuus

I'm disappointed Sae didn't say something like
"even phantom thieves get tired - someone had to make you coffee! WHO WAS IT?!"
during the flash forward when you initiate the Social Link with
Sojiro
. Would've been so fitting.

I'm pretty sure Persona 4 will skip days if you beat the
December
dungeon early. Otherwise, it didn't. It's been awhile since I've played it though.

I think it only did it on the last dungeon in the original game. If I remember right if you beat it early it would send you straight to
Christmas Eve
but I think it was changed in Golden.

Yeah, I played Golden so I don't think I dealt with that at all.

ngower

I've never played a Persona game (or an SMT game, for that matter...maybe even anything from Atlus?) and this one is being touted as a good entry point for n00bz to the series. I likely won't get to this until late summer at the earliest, but I'm just curious: what's the length expectation? How long does it take to beat these games for the average player?

aravuus

Being able to fast travel almost anywhere real fast is super convenient, just hope I won't accidentally miss links or other optional stuff because of it

Woke up an hour ago and checked USPS tracking. My copy is out for delivery, and the mail carrier always comes around 10am in my neighborhood. 2 hours to go!!

"Please take care of me".
There isn't a facepalm big enough to describe this. It's almost Google Translate level, dōzo yoroshiku shouldn't be so hard to grasp for a human translator...

Oh btw is anyone else having problem with screen portions being cut off? I'm playing on a old tv set with no option to deactivate overscan (if that's the reason) and I'm going insane lol.

I asked this in another thread but:

im not sure if this falls on localization or cultural differences or what, but watching the quicklook, why is the main character
being treated like absolute shit and a heinous criminal for... SAVING A WOMEN FROM BEING RAPED
?

Is that actually explained?

thats like first hour spoilers, basically the premise btw, but I know some people are ultra sensitive to spoilers.

That's the (in)famous "mind you own fucking business" mentality, it's not exclusive to a specific country or culture. Anyway, yeah he commited a crime any sane person would be proud of (cutting a rapist head wide open) and he gets shit for it.
Sojiro is the very first person we talk to, and he's an asshole.

I've never played a Persona game (or an SMT game, for that matter...maybe even anything from Atlus?) and this one is being touted as a good entry point for n00bz to the series. I likely won't get to this until late summer at the earliest, but I'm just curious: what's the length expectation? How long does it take to beat these games for the average player?

100 hours give or take.

It's intimidating, I know. But it's essential to the Persona experience. By the time you finish the game your friends feel like real friends. You build genuine bonds with them that can only be forged through spending the equivalent of four IRL days getting to know them and growing together.

New Persona player here, only ever touched P4G briefly before selling my Vita.

Any tips for when I should bother acquiring new Personas? Only just started the first dungeon.

I asked this in another thread but:

im not sure if this falls on localization or cultural differences or what, but watching the quicklook, why is the main character
being treated like absolute shit and a heinous criminal for... SAVING A WOMEN FROM BEING RAPED
?

Is that actually explained?

thats like first hour spoilers, basically the premise btw, but I know some people are ultra sensitive to spoilers.

It's shitty that Sojiro gives you crap about it but it's revealed shortly after that this guy was a politician or something that had the police in his pocket. "You fucked with the wrong guy" basically.

Weiss

Banned
Okay is there any way to adjust the screen ratio at all? My TV is a few years old but it displays every other PS4 game perfectly.

aravuus

Any tips for when I should bother acquiring new Personas? Only just started the first dungeon.

As soon as the mechanic is introduced. Having at least one persona of each element is advisable.

Sn4ke_911

What would be a good level for the first dungeon boss to have?

aravuus

Love how all SLs seem to have other, unique gameplay effects that unlock as you rank up on top of the EXP boosts. I can't wait to see the rest of the social links.

What would be a good level for the first dungeon boss to have?

I was level 8 when I beat him with ease, though I was on easy. So normal/hard, maybe around 9-11.

Haven't started this yet, but just going off of old experience:

Don't get attached to Personas, fuse and recruit constantly (you can buy them back if necessary). Make it a priority to have at least one persona for each element to exploit weaknesses.

aravuus

Crap, so I need to leave the world to craft lock picks..

I believe you can only craft them during evenings when you're home? So it'd take you an evening or even two or three to craft enough lockpicks, then one more to go around getting the chests.

Not sure if it's worth it tbh. No idea what the chests in the first dungeon contain though I admit.

What would be a good starter persona to have? any fusion tips?

Dunno about a specific good starter persona, but a good general tip is to aim to have a wide variety of skills. So attack skills of all types, healing skills, different buffs and debuffs and so on. Physical skills are kind of whatever, imo, at least early on.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, so I need to leave the world to craft lock picks..

Good news: (minor gameplay element spoilers)
You have to leave and come back to steal the treasure anyway, so you can just craft them then.

The delivery of Sakamoto's line

"(GASP) Does that mean you've got a phone?!"

is sooooo good

His delivery of every line is so good. That guy is spectacular. I've been thinking of finding him on Twitter just to give him props.

So is Japanese Dub w/ ENG subtitles the way to go?

Nope, ENG dub is ace :)

Honestly, this is the best dub I've heard for an anime (thing) in a long time. (5 hours in)

What would be a good starter persona to have? any fusion tips?

In previous Persona games, I always made a quad elemental persona as soon as I was able to. That way I could knock down enemies without having to switch persona every turn and finish off battles with all out attacks. It's pretty SP reliant, though. Making one Persona a dedicated healer is also good.

Don't get too attached to a persona and fuse them away if needed. You can always resummon via the compendium, just be sure to overwrite the compendium copy with the latest version that has the skills you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom