• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

Fuck I'm on 4/22 or something and haven't started Sojiro's SL because I don't have a compatible Persona, my guts still aren't high enough for Tae, and I'm apparently only halfway through the first dungeon. I feel fucking rusty.

In case you mean initiating the SL (not rank 1 -> rank 2), you don't need the correct persona during the very first encounter.

Also, Sojiro's SL is slow as fuck to rank up early on, so here's a paraphrased tip from someone's post way earlier in the thread:
if he's available, check if spending time with him will rank up the SL. If not, make coffee - you get an SP restoring item and a couple of relationship points with Sojiro. So early on only spend time with him if the bond will rank up.
Oh and you get some coffee bean trivia too, no idea if it's actually real though lol.

e: maybe save beforehand too,
there were a couple of times I didn't get relationship points from making coffee for some reason

but of course, as any reasonable RPG player knows, you gotta keep saving every 10 minutes and use all the slots

artsi

Why does Igor's voice sound like it got ran through a vocoder? Does he sound like than in jp too?

Nope, that same thing bugs me in the dub too.

For example the way he says "welcome to the velvet room" the first time feels super synthetic.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me you don't need lockpicks in Menentos.

Needing? No they're at most nice to have. But aren't really worth it to spend time on your first playthrough to spend nights on. You can later get opportunities to build them without spending extra time in which case they might be worth building.

Slight dungeon tool spoiler
What is worth it though is the eternal lockpick you can build later.

LotusHD

Banned
I feel like I'm being really dumb here, but I swear I turned on the Japanese voices in order to try it, yet when I load it up, it continues to play it in English.

Yu Narukami

Needing? No they're at most nice to have. But aren't really worth it to spend time on your first playthrough to spend nights on. You can later get opportunities to build them without spending extra time in which case they might be worth building.

Slight dungeon tool spoiler
What is worth it though is the eternal lockpick you can build later.
Sorry I meant in Mementos. Are there locked chests there?

ramyeon

what do you mean by this? I likely didn't and have a save back there. I'll see if it does a difference
If you're following a max social link guide then it assumes you have a Persona of the corresponding arcana in your stock when you spend time with any given Confidant. You get bonus points towards ranking up the Social Link by doing so.

E.g.: When hanging out with Ryuji you need a Chariot Persona on you. This makes for a very expensive playthrough as you will be summoning from the compendium a LOT.

This is why I don't recommend these for first play throughs.

aravuus

I feel like I'm being really dumb here, but I swear I turned on the Japanese voices in order to try it, yet when I load it up, it continues to play it in English.

Maybe you're just so used to both languages that you can't tell them apart any more

Every time I start to think the translation is okay, along comes another google translation line like, "Are you not going to repay the hospitality I showed you?"

Nope, that same thing bugs me in the dub too.

For example the way he says "welcome to the velvet room" the first time feels super synthetic.

While I think the voice totally doesn't match the character, I'd rather have that processed sound than just a skinny old guy with a deep baritone voice. At least this way it sounds kind of otherworldly.

Shouta

Load your game, change the audio, save the game again, then reload is what I've been seeing people do to get it to work.

Astral

In case you mean initiating the SL (not rank 1 -> rank 2), you don't need the correct persona during the very first encounter.

Also, Sojiro's SL is slow as fuck to rank up early on, so here's a paraphrased tip from someone's post way earlier in the thread:
if he's available, check if spending time with him will rank up the SL. If not, make coffee - you get an SP restoring item and a couple of relationship points with Sojiro. So early on only spend time with him if the bond will rank up.
Oh and you get some coffee bean trivia too, no idea if it's actually real though lol.

e: maybe save beforehand too,
there were a couple of times I didn't get relationship points from making coffee for some reason

but of course, as any reasonable RPG player knows, you gotta keep saving every 10 minutes and use all the slots

I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Does this really matter when you first get the social link?

It doesn't. I already started it but I haven't touched it outside of the first rank because I'm not a high enough level to recruit the Persona I need.

ramyeon

I'll keep this in mind for the future.

It doesn't. I already started it but I haven't touched it outside of the first rank because I'm not a high enough level to recruit the Persona I need.
You can get a Hierophant Persona pretty early on through fusion. I think I was under level 10.

If you're following a max social link guide then it assumes you have a Persona of the corresponding arcana in your stock when you spend time with any given Confidant. You get bonus points towards ranking up the Social Link by doing so.

E.g.: When hanging out with Ryuji you need a Chariot Persona on you. This makes for a very expensive playthrough as you will be summoning from the compendium a LOT.

This is why I don't recommend these for first play throughs.

ah. Well I might give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't make the difference to catch up to the guide, then I'll just keep the save I have right now and just follow the basic activities. I think for now I'm more concerned with getting skills and leveling up to max the relationship I'll eventually go for. Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I won't stress too much if it doesn't work with the chariot arcana.

ramyeon

ah. Well I might give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't make the difference to catch up to the guide, then I'll just keep the save I have right now and just follow the basic activities. I think for now I'm more concerned with getting skills and leveling up to max the relationship I'll eventually go for. Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I won't stress too much if it doesn't work with the chariot arcana.
It'll be like that for every arcana if you're following the guide, those guides don't leave much room for error and they will become really tough to stick to since they don't allow for much grinding etc either.

I'd either follow it loosely or just ditch it for your first play through and just go blind ;)

I think I have to switch the game to easy. I like a challenge but going a through a whole sequence of fights so many times is tedious. I dont want to keep going to safe rooms either.

I can't help but feel like I'm in a corner or lagging behind.

I'm at 4/20-4/21 and have just been given the option to
send the calling card for Kamoshida.
I did so about a day or so after I first saw it on the Thieves Guild, the 21st, which makes me feel like I initiated it late. (I had a rough second day in the
Castle
, so it took me 3 to reach the treasure.)

To compound the issue, I was surprised it would take an additional day to actually activate the
boss of the castle.

I went up against the boss and lost due to not being able to heal + damage while
Morgana climbed the terrace.
I can't help but feel like it's too hard to get the money to buy the equipment and healing items I need.

I've focused primarily on the dungeon so far, originally hoping to get it out of the way in 3 days...

Am I doing something wrong? Am I forgetting anything? I don't remember having an issue like this in P3 & P4 early on. Should I restart & plan my time better?

What are your best spoiler-free recommendations for me?

I really don't know why some people are having problems early in the game to be quite honest. Persona 4's first 2 dungeons felt brutal (the bosses actually) the first time I played it, but that wasn't the case in Persona 5.

Instead of trying to buy healing items I'd recommend to have Personae with healing abilities for bosses. Also, Ryuji is a tank with physical attacks. Ryuji can handle the boss for a bit while other characters heal. Why don't you sell the healing items you get for free in the store and use that money to get the items that you feel you need as others have suggested?

ramyeon

I think I have to switch the game to easy. I like a challenge but going a through a whole sequence of fights so many times is tedious. I dont want to keep going to safe rooms either.
I died more in the first palace than I did throughout the whole of P4G (But that was an unbalanced mess so it's not saying much I guess lol).

I pre ordered the ga me on Saturday at gamestop. I walked in today and the woman accidentally handed me a steel book copy of the game. I didn't even notice until I got into my car. It's beautiful.

What are people's hints for the early game? I'm at 4/21-22 and I feel like I'm a day or two behind and not making enough money to buy the healing items and equipment I need.

By what day should the average player beat the first dungeon's boss?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I meant in Mementos. Are there locked chests there?

Yep locked randomized chest are in Mementos. And unfortunately for you Mementos are necessary for various things. I will say though it's far better paced out so if you keep up with them as the story progresses it shouldn't really be as awful as tartarus like ever.

Bendo

Am I doing something wrong? Am I forgetting anything? I don't remember having an issue like this in P3 & P4 early on. Should I restart & plan my time better?

What are your best spoiler-free recommendations for me?
SMT games are always the hardest at the start before you get more options and better skills. What I did to beat him was to send Ryuji, use MC for damage, and the two others as healers. If you're having problems doing damage I would recommend fusing Mokoi.

ramyeon

What are people's hints for the early game? I'm at 4/21-22 and I feel like I'm a day or two behind and not making enough money to buy the healing items and equipment I need.

I beat it on 4/23. Which is on the early side.

SMT games are always the hardest at the start before you get more options and better skills. What I did to beat him was to send Ryuji, use MC for damage, and the two others as healers. If you're having problems doing damage I would recommend fusing Mokoi.

What about money & time? I feel I never have enough of the former, and that I'm already wasting time by not being done yet.

When did you beat the first dungeon?

I beat it on 4/23. Which is on the early side.

So I'm even before that? I swore when I saw
"Sent Calling Card"
on the Thieves Guild for the 21st I thought I was late already.

aravuus

Yep locked randomized chest are in Mementos. And unfortunately for you Mementos are necessary for various things. I will say though it's far better paced out so if you keep up with them as the story progresses it shouldn't really be as awful as tartarus like ever.

Just unlocked Mementos yesterday before I had to go to bed, so I gotta ask - is it possible to grind in the Mementos forever (that is, until I run out of SP and die)? I just need a couple of respawning shadows I can interrogate for money or kill over and over again, really. There's so much stuff around the town I want to buy, but I'm running out of money.

duckroll

Amazon STILL hasn't shipped my copy so I requested cancellation and I'm going to pick up a copy locally tonight. I hope I don't have terrible luck and end up with two PS3 copies hahahahahaha.

Ladekabel

Got to play roughly an hour yesterday and made it through the
castle
. Does the FOV get better in other dungeons or when I'll return? It felt like looking through a tube which was not very pleasant for me. I don't remember having the problem with Persona 4: Golden on Vita.

It'll be like that for every arcana if you're following the guide, those guides don't leave much room for error and they will become really tough to stick to since they don't allow for much grinding etc either.

I'd either follow it loosely or just ditch it for your first play through and just go blind ;)

going back 2 days ended up working out for now. For now I'll follow it and once I realize I can't make it work then I will just stick with the recommendations to get skill points and arcanas here and there.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just unlocked Mementos yesterday before I had to go to bed, so I gotta ask - is it possible to grind in the Mementos forever (that is, until I run out of SP and die)? I just need a couple of respawning shadows I can interrogate for money or kill over and over again, really. There's so much stuff around the town I want to buy, but I'm running out of money.

You can grind in them forever. That said you can not move down to additional floors as long as the story doesn't move forward enough. For best results limit your memento visits to 1 per story arc.

Bendo

What about money & time? I feel I never have enough of the former, and that I'm already wasting time by not being done yet.

When did you beat the first dungeon?

Best way to make money is by asking for money during Hold Up from personas you already have. I'm in the second dungeon and I get between 1500-3000 per encounter, and by leveling the Sun arcana you can get even more. That said I've heard money is tight all throughout the game, and you have to prioritize who to buy gear for. So far I've mostly bought armor since deaths are by far the biggest problem.

As for time, I think I spent three days before I left the calling card. The last half is fairly rough on SP. Personally I've made my peace with the fact that I'm probably not going to be able to max out all social links on my first run.

alright narratively​ I've hit i road block in short order. i CANNOT STAND getting treated like shit for doing the right thing? please tell me the teachers and sojiro ease the fuck up soon.

Yeah now Sojiro's is lacking LMAO. Welp, time to follow this guide loosely, I ain't going back just for that. Going to now have fun but still try and get as far as I can with the relationships I care about.

aravuus

Best way to make money is by asking for money during Hold Up from personas you already have. I'm in the second dungeon and I get between 1500-3000 per encounter, and by leveling the Sun arcana you can get even more. That said I've heard money is tight all throughout the game, and you have to prioritize who to buy gear for. So far I've mostly bought armor since deaths are by far the biggest problem.

As for time, I think I spent three days before I left the calling card. The last half is fairly rough on SP. Personally I've made my peace with the fact that I'm probably not going to be able to max out all social links on my first run.

1500-3000 per fight? Holy shit, now I need the SP regen accessory, I wanna stay in the second dungeon forever

JJShadow

I'd say don't feel pressured and play at your own pace, as long as you finish the dungeon before the deadline you'll be fine

It took me 4 runs to steal the Treasure, did it on 4/25 (playing on Normal). Every time I went back to real world, I stopped by the weapon shop to spend the money I earned on the dungeon the previous day on new weapons/armor, that way you will become more powerful as you advanced through the dungeon, something really useful as it become more difficulty the further you get into

CSX

So are there any vending machines that sell drinks that heal SP in early game? Or is money so tight that even if it does exist, it aint worth it?

ramyeon

So are there any vending machines that sell drinks that heal SP in early game? Or is money so tight that even if it does exist, it aint worth it?
There are. In the school courtyard and outside the bathhouse. They restock on Mondays. They're cheap.

Am I the only one who notices the really inconsistent audio in the english voice track?

Sometimes there's noticeable compression and crackling during voice clips, sometimes I can hear people hiss their S's and pop their P's but that doesn't seem to apply to all the characters. It's like they did it with entirely different sets of equipment.

I kind of want to unhook my soundbar/not play with headphones and just use the TV speakers because it's being that distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom