• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJShadow

Finished the mini-boss of the first dungeon just barely.
Do they really lock you out of returning to the previous safe room and force you to progress? My way back was barred and I basically got crushed by enemies.

To be fair, previous Persona games didn't force you to wait additional days to do finish the dungeon.

You mean the Guard Captain mini-boss? I'm pretty sure I was able to come back to the previous safe room once I defeated him, make sure you're heading the right way

marmoka

Banned
I started the game yesterday and played about 4 hours.

I didn't like the previous 2 Persona games. Found the soundtrack annoying, boring story, boring dungeons (procedural dungeons suck),... And this time I'm really loving it: the soundtrack is awesome, the story is great (by now) and the school castle dungeon is great!

I cannot wait to finish working today and going back home to continue playing.

ChrisD

Well I played for seven hours today. Though its almost 3AM and I've been going since Midnight so... More like yesterday and today.

Ryuji is such a bro.

I'm really pleased with all of the voice acting so far. English, here. Morgana is surprisingly great, I was a bit worried it's be Teddy V2, but they're most definitely not! No dumb puns (which were fun at first but after a while...), no annoyingly whiny voice, a fun attitude. I quite like 'em.

Actually I'm enjoying all of the cast so far. The pacing has been so much faster than P4 with regards to character introduction. Love it.

I've never played mainline SMT, so this whole Demon Negotiation thing is pretty interesting. Had one Persona that just refused to join me no matter what, tried four different tries and kept getting the wrong answers. Got one through a Beg for Mercy, at least! I don't want to look up guides though, so hopefully I get the hang of it sooner rather than later.

The forced Persona fusion for Tutorial purposes would have made me so angry if I didn't have three Personas in tow. I never fuse off my MC's Persona. Especially when they're as cool as Arsene.

Style is off the charts. UI, text while wandering around, the musiiiiiic. The Battle Theme is so good.

Basically, I'm loving the whole game so far.

WadeitOut

I'm trying really hard to get into this game after never really giving 3/4 a shot but I just can't. I think there's just a limit how much Japan I can have in my games. I like the music and overall aesthetics but the story, dialogue, and world do nothing for me.

Well I played for seven hours today. Though its almost 3AM and I've been going since Midnight so... More like yesterday and today.

Ryuji is such a bro.

I'm really pleased with all of the voice acting so far. English, here. Morgana is surprisingly great, I was a bit worried it's be Teddy V2, but they're most definitely not! No dumb puns (which were fun at first but after a while...), no annoyingly whiny voice, a fun attitude. I quite like 'em.

Actually I'm enjoying all of the cast so far. The pacing has been so much faster than P4 with regards to character introduction. Love it.

I've never played mainline SMT, so this whole Demon Negotiation thing is pretty interesting. Had one Persona that just refused to join me no matter what, tried four different tries and kept getting the wrong answers. Got one through a Beg for Mercy, at least! I don't want to look up guides though, so hopefully I get the hang of it sooner rather than later.

The forced Persona fusion for Tutorial purposes would have made me so angry if I didn't have three Personas in tow. I never fuse off my MC's Persona. Especially when they're as cool as Arsene.

Style is off the charts. UI, text while wandering around, the musiiiiiic. The Battle Theme is so good.

Basically, I'm loving the whole game so far.

I'm only 2 hours in but god, Morgana is so much better then Teddie at this point. Morgana feels like a breath of fresh air after Teddie...

Anoxida

Looks like I dont have the sp to complete the first dungeon in one day. Pretty dissapointed by that. The game told me u csn get help from others when you are connected online but not sure how to use that. Is it the same function p4g had?

Is it hard to complete the dungeons in one go in general? Next time I will wait until 2-3 days before deadline and do jobs etc to gain money to buy as good gear as possible.

Malrend

Working from home today, so I'll be getting a bit further into the game later on.. Hopefully.

Immediate first impressions:
- I really like the new Igor.
- The near instant integration of dungeons is pretty great.
- Ryuji is, so far, less annoying than I feared he would be.
- Volleyball iz srs bznis

Jindrael

Banned
Looks like I dont have the sp to complete the first dungeon in one day. Pretty dissapointed by that. The game told me u csn get help from others when you are connected online but not sure how to use that. Is it the same function p4g had?

Is it hard to complete the dungeons in one go in general? Next time I will wait until 2-3 days before deadline and do jobs etc to gain money to buy as good gear as possible.

I play on hard and I have played every persona game multiple times so far, I'm pretty damn sure they didn't want people doing the dungeons in one go this time. (I think it's possible with the information I have now after beating the first dungeon but for a 1st playthrough it's tough to near impossible imo)

It's pretty easy to do it in P4 with some prep but this time I was completely out of resources by 1/2 of the first dungeon.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Where can I read a book ? Only on train ?

You can also read books in the cafe at the stool next to the phone. If there are customers in, you'll need to talk with them to make them leave before you can.

TI82

Banned
Well done for the first day of playing... God this game is good. Ryuji mvp, Ann not a big fan of tbh I'm sure there will be some Yuko or chie equivalent girl later on.

And wow, kamoshida is a douche. I didn't expect suzui to
jump to her death, Jesus
. Is the implication that
he is molesting the female students?

This game is very thrilling.

Sorry if this has been covered (this thread's massive), but any word, impressions or feedback yet about how the PS4 and PS3 versions compare? Main differences?

Bendo

Definitely don't do that. In addition to having to leave calling cards some of the dungeons force you to leave and come back multiple times.

Early game 1st dungeon spoilers sorta!!

Warning!!!!
For the love of god do not wait till the last day to do the Castle. You'll get a game over and sent back a week.

My cloud save saved my ass!

Just a thought, I rag on P4 for nopeing away from having LGBT characters despite having a really good premise for that kind of exploration, but now P5 comes along with an even better premise and they don't even acknowledge the issue! Annoying! You have this game all about rebelling against a judgmental society that unfairly labels and discriminates against outliers, a whole demographic with a long and rich history of just that, and the two never crossed paths during development? It's such a bizarre waste, especially since the narrative pulls so few punches otherwise. At least the gay stereotype jokes are less insulting than in P4 and none of my party members are actively homophobic yet, that's one version of progress. 😒 It's just bizatte how this issue continues to be too edgy for them to tackle while they go balls deep into
abuse, rape and suicide
in the first few hours, but shrugs.

Also I'm in early July and the game is good.

Anoxida

Definitely don't do that. In addition to having to leave calling cards some of the dungeons force you to leave and come back multiple times.

Ok thank you. I will try my best to complete them as early as possible then. Dont want to many days to go wasted though since Im aiming to complete all confidants and max all the stats. I guess thats really hard without a guide?

Ok thank you. I will try my best to complete them as early as possible then. Dont want to many days to go wasted though since Im aiming to complete all confidants and max all the stats. I guess thats really hard without a guide?

Totally, hence I am using one; time is really short in those games.

MTC100

Banned
10 hours in the game now, I have secured
the route to the treasure of the first dungeon, all that is left is the boss fight I guess.

That took quite some time, didn't expect it to take that long it cost me 2 days to get there. or in real time roughly 4 hours. That's quite a step up from the P4 Dungeons also the Design of the Dungeon was better than completely random ones.

The difficulty is quite hard, even on easy as you eventually run out of SP pretty fast and consumables are very very rare and I haven't found a shop yet that sells SP food but I guess they are probably way too expensive to consider anyway.

I think I will keep the Dungeon difficulty on easy for the time being, it's still enough of a challenge if you try to get as far as possible in one go and it leaves me more time to do other things in P5.

So far my personal rating of the game got upped from 9 to 9.5/10, the first 5 hours weren't bad but not really exceptional the following 5 and a half were much better, letting me play the game freely, finally and I can't wait to see more of it. (Also considering I only wanted to play 4 hours, P5 made me stay up 1,5 extra hours and now I'm at work with a sleep deficit, this game kept going on and on and I wanted to finish
the first dungeon
before going to bed and then it was 01:30 am already, I'm glad the game made me stop by ending it there, or I would have surely been up another half hour trying to
kill the boss
).

graywolf323

Man, I really love this game. I haven't played much yet, but I can't get enough. I wish I asked the week off work now

I took two unpaid nights off work for it and I wish I could have afforded to take more, I don't get my 2 weeks vacation until my anniversary date next month though

10 hours in the game now, I have secured
the route to the treasure of the first dungeon, all that is left is the boss fight I guess.

That took quite some time, didn't expect it to take that long it cost me 2 days to get there. or in real time roughly 4 hours. That's quite a step up from the P4 Dungeons also the Design of the Dungeon was better than completely random ones.

The difficulty is quite hard, even on easy as you eventually run out of SP pretty fast and consumables are very very rare and I haven't found a shop yet that sells SP food but I guess they are probably way too expensive to consider anyway.

I think I will keep the Dungeon difficulty on easy for the time being, it's still enough of a challenge if you try to get as far as possible in one go and it leaves me more time to do other things in P5.

So far my personal rating of the game got upped from 9 to 9.5/10, the first 5 hours weren't bad but not really exceptional the now following 5 were much better and I can't wait to see more of it. (Also considering I only wanted to play 4 hours, P5 made me stay up 1,5 extra hours and now I'm at work with a sleep deficit ^^).

you can buy drinks that restore SP from vending machines (once a week) and if you make coffee in the shop it also restores SP

edit: even with that though SP is a scarce resource in this game even on easy :-/

MTC100

Banned
you can buy drinks that restore SP from vending machines (once a week) and if you make coffee in the shop it also restores SP

I tried a Vending Machine but it only had HP-Drinks, gotta look harder I guess and yeah thought about coffee probably giving SP, I guess I should really help the old man out. - I found a one buy meal that was quite cheap and restores 80hp to all party members though.

By the way: Are there any hard limits as to how long you can stay in a Dungeon or is it only dependend on your groups SP/HP, so would it be possible to run to the end of a dungeon in just one day?

Anoxida

Totally, hence I am using one; time is really short in those games.

I cant bring myself to do it. I feel like a part of the game is lost if you dont chose your own answer and schedule your own schoolyear. I might do some slight research on some hard to complete confidants though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I did the whole first dungeon in one night, aside from
stealing the treasure
. *Flex*

graywolf323

I tried a Vending Machine but it only had HP-Drinks, gotta look harder I guess and yeah thought about coffee probably giving SP, I guess I should really help the old man out.

By the way: Are there any hard limits as to how long you can stay in a Dungeon or is it only dependend on your groups SP/HP, so would it be possible to run to the end of a dungeon in just one day?

you can do it in one day, I got all the way to the treasure in the first dungeon in one day (though I used up every single SP recovery item I could find in doing so)

I know one of the vending machines that sells SP drinks is at the school, I believe the other one is outside the bathhouse

Frimaire

Ugh, kinda annoying they kept the whole "Game Over upon MC death" thing, despite it being absent from modern SMTs...
It's not that bad most of the time, it just sucks when fights can sometimes come down to a 25% chance of instant loss...

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

If you mean like P3's tired mechanic, no.
In two of the dungeons there are story reasons that force you out midway though.

Chaos17

Tokyo mirage kinda ruined for me Persona 5 battle system (¯―¯٥) Before people throw eggs at me, both games are made by Atlus and Tokyo mirage is a Persona like game.

klier

A PS3/4 cross game in 2017? Gross!

But with that being said, and me not being a graphics whore all that much..... can't wait to play this!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
A PS3/4 cross game in 2017? Gross!
Coming to PS3 Winter 2014.

It was never going to take full advantage of the PS4, so I don't mind too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom