• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

YES

I DID IT

MAXED CONFIDANTS

RIGHT ON THE LAST AVAILABLE DAY IN THE WHOLE GAME

AAAAAAAHHHHH

On your first playthrough?
Well, congratulations, you did what I could not.
Or will not.
I raise my glass to you.
obama-wine-glass3.jpg

Ultimadrago

Well, got the Platinum in New Game+. My delays sent me hours before the end of the story, so I'll soon finish it up again.

This was really good. It's good to have Persona back.

YES

I DID IT

MAXED CONFIDANTS

AAAAAAAHHHHH

Nice! Who was the last person?

Pachinko

I don't know about spinoffs for P5, I could easily see them doing a special edition/port though. Kind of like P4golden vs regular 4 or P3fes vs regular.

Of course, both of those versions were handheld ports so ... it would follow that Persona 5 Wildcard or whatever it gets called is a switch version of the game that runs the same as the PS3 version in handheld mode and while docked it can punch up to 900p (I don't think this game is pushing the PS4 very hard but it still looks great so I don't care).

I'm not going to be finishing this game anytime soon but , would Persona GAF still recommend checking out Persona 4 golden perhaps ? Reading about P3 , I'm not a fan of the games visual style so much and it appears to be a little bit TOO grindy but P4 looks fairly similar to 5 in many ways so I'm willing to give it a shot eventually.

I've decided to take a break today from playing , Persona 5 hit me equally as hard this past week as Zelda did a few weeks back.

Finished new game plus with 94%. All three trophies remaining were linked by one request. Think I will go replay Nier automata or another game instead of jumping back for a third run.

Sami+

Yeah I'm not bothering with spin-offs or special edition. My appreciation for P4 suffered a lot because of the horrible merchandising.

nOoblet16

Well, got the Platinum in New Game+. My delays sent me hours before the end of the story, so I'll soon finish it up again.

How did you go about completing the conoendium? It's the only one I have no real plans for aside from stocking up money and just fusing once I am high level enough.

The other one is the eternal lock pick, I am near the end of 4th dungeon and still don't even have 50% of the materials needed for it. Yes you dark Anubis but you can't know if it's Anubis or not until you start the fight, except for those enemies that you encounter running up to the boss who are fixed, but they don't respawn I think.

On the Persona 4 talk from earlier about Naoto:

I feel some were being really dismissive of the idea that Naoto could be a trans boy and should take what the openly trans member shared with us to heart. Gender is based on what the person tells us and Persona 4 goes the route of saying the gender is based on Naoto's given body, which is a very common problem and mistake people make about gender that deeply hurts trans people.

Right on.

nOoblet16

Finished new game plus with 94%. All three trophies remaining were linked by one request. Think I will go replay Nier automata or another game instead of jumping back for a third run.
Did you not keep multiple saves at key locations so that you can go back just for trophies ?

Opa-Pa

I'm not going to be finishing this game anytime soon but , would Persona GAF still recommend checking out Persona 4 golden perhaps ? Reading about P3 , I'm not a fan of the games visual style so much and it appears to be a little bit TOO grindy but P4 looks fairly similar to 5 in many ways so I'm willing to give it a shot eventually.

I've decided to take a break today from playing , Persona 5 hit me equally as hard this past week as Zelda did a few weeks back.

P4 is more similar to 3 than it is to 5, but all three are indeed very similar. None of them are grindy at all though, people who call them that are usually players who aren't very good at them because they ignore basic mechanics.

That being said, yes, P4G is recommended. It'll probably feel like a huge downgrade in many ways, but it's still a great game worth experiencing.

By the way I'm fairly sure someone at Atlus (can't remember if it was Hashino or Wada) already expressed interest in P5 spinoffs months ago, so I'd say it's just a matter of time. For better or worse.

Weiss

Banned

Shinya. Little brat is hard to get a handle one, but Yoshitsune is worth it.

I don't know about spinoffs for P5, I could easily see them doing a special edition/port though. Kind of like P4golden vs regular 4 or P3fes vs regular.

Of course, both of those versions were handheld ports so ... it would follow that Persona 5 Wildcard or whatever it gets called is a switch version of the game that runs the same as the PS3 version in handheld mode and while docked it can punch up to 900p (I don't think this game is pushing the PS4 very hard but it still looks great so I don't care).

Yeah, you should absolutely give P4G a shot. It's a fantastic game and a great portable experience. The dungeons in 5 are definitely better (but maybe a tad too long) but other than that, you won't be disappointed.

Ultimadrago

How did you go about completing the conoendium? It's the only one I have no real plans for aside from stocking up money and just fusing once I am high level enough.

The other one is the eternal lock pick, I am near the end of 4th dungeon and still don't even have 50% of the materials needed for it. Yes you dark Anubis but you can't know if it's Anubis or not until you start the fight, except for those enemies that you encounter running up to the boss who are fixed, but they don't respawn I think.

For Compendium, you want to make sure that:
You are using Treasure Traps to get a unique Treasure Demon in every dungeon aside from the first. Use Tower's Gun Skill to instantly knock down harder Treasure Demons.
Also do not skip out on (Treasure Demon Name)
Crystal Skull
, they reside in the last formal Palace. Bring up your Alertness to around orange, is what I did and hunt for them with Treasure Trap. I didn't know about this in my first playthrough. About everything else should be obtainable via fusing and maxing Confidants.

You can find Anubis in
Mementos
after the 4th dungeon, so don't worry about getting it this instant. They'll be in the lower floors of the latest area.

You will also gain access to Futaba who can tell you about rare treasures monsters are holding ahead of time (after a certain Confidant level), but it's random. Best to just kill every Anubis mob you find.

Shinya. Little brat is hard to get a handle one, but Yoshitsune is worth it.

Yes, he is. Yes, he is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
P5A predictions:

Ryuji - incredibly loud and incredibly dumb
not that different from his actual characterization tbh
Ann - airhead x1000
Morgana - obsessed with getting with Ann
Yusuke - social obliviousness x1000. alternatively the joke about him being bad with money being his defining characteristic.
Futaba - dank memes
Haru - honestly the hardest one. maybe going too far with her
heroine of justice
thing?
Futaba's potential flanderization scares me the most, TBH.

WolfeTone

YES

I DID IT

MAXED CONFIDANTS

AAAAAAAHHHHH

Nice! This was me last night too when I finished my last confidant on Dec 22.
I would have hated Haru even more if she denied me max confidants.
It seems like the developers gave Dec 22 as a bonus day since every confidant is available to hang out.

P5 seems much more forgiving than the previous games in terms of giving you time to max your confidants. I didn't even get close in P3 and P4 and was able to do it in P5 without using a guide. It's ironic really since Morgana is such a pain in not letting you go out, but you do have plenty of time. Just make sure that you limit your non-productive days.

nOoblet16

BouncyFrag

The game feels like it's dragging on a bit at 9/17 and have been chasing
morgana with the beauty thief. The school trip felt kinda pointless

nOoblet16

For Compendium, you want to make sure that:
You are using Treasure Traps to get a unique Treasure Demon in every dungeon aside from the first. Use Tower's Gun Skill to instantly knock down harder Treasure Demons.
Also do not skip out on (Treasure Demon Name)
Crystal Skull
, they reside in the last formal Palace. Bring up your Alertness to around orange, is what I did and hunt for them with Treasure Trap. I didn't know about this in my first playthrough. About everything else should be obtainable via fusing and maxing Confidants.

You can find Anubis in
Mementos
after the 4th dungeon, so don't worry about getting it this instant. They'll be in the lower floors of the latest area.

You will also gain access to Futaba who can tell you about rare treasures monsters are holding ahead of time (after a certain Confidant level), but it's random. Best to just kill every Anubis mob you find.

Yes, he is. Yes, he is.
I don't know about this treasure trap, please elaborate. And is that treasure demon only found in that palace and not in mementos ?

Ydelnae

Very late game question

Was the true-Igor voice using old recordings in the Japanese version? The twist blew my mind earlier today and I just made the connection with his Japanese VA passing out years ago

Ultimadrago

I don't know about this treasure trap, please elaborate. And is that treasure demon only found in that palace and not in mementos ?

You know how you can make tools? After a while you can make even more tools which will include that one. They're made of rather common materials, so you should have to worry about grinding for them.

It's in Mementos as well. I find they're easier to track down in Palaces, so it's best to get them sooner than try later on.

Very late game question

Was the true-Igor voice using old recordings in the Japanese version? The twist blew my mind earlier today and I just made the connection with his Japanese VA passing out years ago

It also blew my mind. I was told, as you said, that it was simply older recordings from them. Still one of the best moments in the game.

Xiao Hu

And then you get the anime pity party for the poor misunderstood murderer and sower of corruption...Especially characters coded female got to show just how big their hearts are for troubled, destructive, handsome young men....

Exactly this. I rolled my eyes and just wished
to have the option to pull the trigger myself
. At least in P4 you get the chance
to commit unjustified manslaughter

Get the Strength Confidant maxed out and immediately goes to make King Frost, only for Igor to hit me with a 72k charge to my pockets. I'm not happy.

nOoblet16

You know how you can make tools? After a while you can make even more tools which will include that one. They're made of rather common materials, so you should have to worry about grinding for them.

It also blew my mind. I was told, as you said, that it was simply older recordings from them. Still one of the best moments in the game.
Can palaces have more than one type of treasure demon or are they specific to each palaces ? Also that specific treasure demon you mentioned, can it not be found in mementos ?

Ultimadrago

Can palaces have more than one type of treasure demon or are they specific to each palaces ? Also that specific treasure demon you mentioned, can it not be found in mementos ?

They're specified to my knowledge except for the last formal one, which I think can have two, but don't quote me on that.

I edited my original post to answer your second question.

Splinter

Ok, I think I'll go pick this game up. Just a few questions and clarifications. I've never played a persona game before.

-) Is the time management aspect easy to fuck up? I'm going into this game blind but don't want to fall back or get in over my head by not understanding the best way to manage time. Every review mentions it so I assume it's important. Is it easy to become under-leveled? Can you make up for lost stats, conversations, items etc?

-) Does the game auto save, have checkpoints, or is it manual save (at any time). Saving in RPGs can stress me out, I probably save way too much, and it games with no-manual saves I get anxiety thinking I'm going to lose my progress, items, stats, etc. Do you feel the save system works well with the game? Can you redo things if you don't like how it turned out?

-) Does any part of the game feel tiresome, particularly the grinding and/or stat building? Does it feel like a waste of time?

Exactly this. I rolled my eyes and just wished
to have the option to pull the trigger myself
. At least in P4 you get the chance
to commit unjustified manslaughter
The whole point of thrm feeling pity for him is because they understand. I feel like you guys kinda missed the point of his character. They don't forgive him, they show him understanding and acceptance because they understand how bad his father and society fucked him up.

Their pity is borne from understanding not anime "nakama power" bullshit.

Setsu00

The whole point of thrm feeling pity for him is because they understand. I feel like you guys kinda missed the point of his character. They don't forgive him, they show him understanding and acceptance because they understand how bad his father and society fucked him up.

They also DON'T forgive Goro, which is another thing to consider.

Ferrio

Banned
Ok, I think I'll go pick this game up. Just a few questions and clarifications. I've never played a persona game before.

-) Is the time management aspect easy to fuck up? I'm going into this game blind but don't want to fall back or get in over my head by not understanding the best way to manage time. Every review mentions it so I assume it's important. Is it easy to become under-leveled? Can you make up for lost stats, conversations, items etc?

-) Does the game auto save, have checkpoints, or is it manual save (at any time). Saving in RPGs can stress me out, I probably save way too much, and it games with no-manual saves I get anxiety thinking I'm going to lose my progress, items, stats, etc. Do you feel the save system works well with the game? Can you redo things if you don't like how it turned out?

-) Does any part of the game feel tiresome, particularly the grinding and/or stat building? Does it feel like a waste of time?

1. You're not going to get time management anywhere near perfect unless your following a guide. Highly doubtful you can mess it up to the point of making the game unplayable, but for completionist sake it causes some people anxiety.

2. No, there is no auto save. The game can also be brutal mattering on the difficulty, and you can find yourself losing progress if you don't try to save often.

3. That's just going to be personal opinion. The game is *long* so it might end up being tiresome for some people, but so far I haven't had any reason to grind. Quite the opposite I try to keep going to dungeons at a minimum for more time with the social links.

Vorheez

I had no clue that there was a monster hunting mechanic in this game... I was so happy to discover that haha. It really is like an adult Pokemon in some ways.

Does the game become a little less hands on later? I just got to the second palace, and I'm a little irritated that the game is still holding my hand and restricting me from doing things. Is that the template for the entire game?
Just wanted to post for a new page because it got buried a few pages back lol

MTC100

Banned
I just realized that I've played 120 hours within 2 weeks on an 11 years old system... I would never have thought that would happen back in 2006.

p5201711kjw.jpg

Ultimadrago

Just wanted to post for a new page because it got buried a few pages back lol

Yes and no. There are certainly less Tutorial text boxes later on, but you are frequently told by the story when you can do things and when you can't (usually following a story-based event that leads into Evening). You have plenty of days to do as you'd like throughout, but it's easy to become annoyed by "Let's not do that today."

More Persona options and getting a bit further in story increases the Free Time a bit.

Xiao Hu

Oh I totally get it. I just don't want to show him any empathy or sympathy, but the game doesn't give that option. Instead I'm forced into Akechi-kun here, Akechi-kun there

Vorheez

Yes and no. There are certainly less Tutorial text boxes later on, but you are frequently told by the story when you can do things and when you can't (usually following a story-based event that leads into Evening). You have plenty of days to do as you'd like throughout, but it's easy to become annoyed by "Let's not do that today."

More Persona options and getting a bit further in story increases the Free Time a bit.
Awesome, thank you :)

asagami_

Banned
I just realized that I've played 120 hours within 2 weeks on an 11 years old system... I would never have thought that would happen back in 2006.

p5201711kjw.jpg

lol

I buy a used PS3 Slim for Persona 5. The fact the console is still alive is a good signal (and I'm playing almost everyday), because there are a lot of JRPG and other games I want to play.

Chaos17

Oh I totally get it. I just don't want to show him any empathy or sympathy, but the game doesn't give that option.

Same.
Haru loved her father dearly, never anted to kill him just punish him and her showing some sympathy toward Akechi made me facepalm. A serial muderer is a murderer whatever his reasons he lost it and abondoned his humanity to become a monster. Either you accept him as a monster and use him or you put him down. I liked that he wasn't brought back to life.

MTC100

Banned
I buy a used PS3 Slim for Persona 5. The fact the console is still alive is a good signal (and I'm playing almost everyday), because there are a lot of JRPG and other games I want to play.

It's a good choice, there are some incredible J-RPGs on the system many didn't get the attention they deserved though... Games like Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean the Last hope or Eternal Sonata for example. Valkyria Chronicles was also an incredible gem, however you can play that on PC nowadays too.

It's an annoying thing when I have a full Persona inventory, but my level isn't high enough to fuse any of them to a thing I like. I miss the Persona 4 mechanic where you could fuse up to 3 of them at a time, because it's much more efficient at creating more space.

Sure, there's the multiple executions, but it's all pre-determined recipes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mid October for me and there's zero chance ill max out all confidants. Oh well probably a good thing so I know what to expect from 4 >_>

Hell 4 will be even harder as I wont have a active community to ask questions.

lol

Why not just buy a regular non-pro 4 then, arent they pretty cheap now?

Lunar15

It's an annoying thing when I have a full Persona inventory, but my level isn't high enough to fuse any of them to a thing I like. I miss the Persona 4 mechanic where you could fuse up to 3 of them at a time, because it's much more efficient at creating more space.

Sure, there's the multiple executions, but it's all pre-determined recipes.

Have you unlocked the Gallows yet?

Mid October for me and there's zero chance ill max out all confidants. Oh well probably a good thing so I know what to expect from 4 >_>

Hell 4 will be even harder as I wont have a active community to ask questions.

Persona community thread is pretty dang active. People will definitely be willing to answer questions there. We also have pretty good rules on spoilers, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Top Bottom