• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Have you unlocked the Gallows yet?

Persona community thread is pretty dang active. People will definitely be willing to answer questions there. We also have pretty good rules on spoilers, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Yeah, but I wasn't really that interested in strengthening Personas that I already have. I'm more into filling up the Compendium with new ones.

Lunar15

Yeah, but I wasn't really that interested in strengthening Personas that I already have. I'm more into filling up the Compendium with new ones.

That's fair. It's one way to clear out old personas though, and hastens the pace at which old personas can learn new moves.

mike6467

Palace 7 is actually irking me a bit and reminding me of some of the issues I've had with the game so far.

Ok....so the sign outside the restaurant says I need a membership card, to get inside and get one of five invitations, so I can get into the next area? There's a cutscene implying membership is needed.

Ugh, I don't like where this is going. Hopefully not a ton of backtracking, but ok. Lets go look around. What? I can't find anything anywhere. Let's check the restaurant to see if I missed anything. Wait....so even though I knew about the membership card via the menu outside, and the whole team acknowledged it, I can't trigger the card conversations elsewhere until I go INTO the restaurant and talk to the host? That's really frustrating and makes me wonder why the first cutscene existed at all

Finally, regarding Futaba's perks,
I really wish I could disable her treasure finder and the treasure respawn abilities. When I'm running around the same areas looking for stuff, and fighting the same enemies, those little 10 second cuts where she respawns the palace treasure, or scans the enemy so I know they have a rare item are just grating.

On top of that I'm having more ambush jank here then I did in palace 5. I may take a break for a few days and come back to it to finish the rest, all this stuff all hit at the same time when I was really enjoying the game and I don't want to burn out and have to force myself through.

What should I do with those special personae you find by looting items in palaces? I captured one and it's now in my compendium. Should I keep it or fuse it or what?

Vorheez

Why doesn't the Persona series advertise it's monster hunting mechanic more?

I had done some research for this game and the series before I bought it, and i had no clue it existed. When I realized what I was getting into with Persona 5, I figured it would be a half assed tacked on mechanic in order to make the combat more interesting, but no... It's a full fledged game on its own and has plenty of depth. I feel like the series would explode in popularity if they made that more apparent to people who are new to the series.

Why doesn't the Persona series advertise it's monster hunting mechanic more?

I had done some research for this game and the series before I bought it, and i had no clue it existed. When I realized what I was getting into with Persona 5, I figured it would be a half assed tacked on mechanic in order to make the combat more interesting, but no... It's a full fledged game on its own and has plenty of depth. I feel like the series would explode in popularity if they made that more apparent to people who are new to the series.

Because this is the first one in twenty years that had the mechanic. In three and four you played a game of chance to get them not negotiate.

Vorheez

I mean it is though, demon collection and fusion has been a staple to the Shin Megami Tensei series and it's spin offs (Like Persona) since forever.

The Pokemon aspect of collecting and having a bunch is a staple but the way you acquire them through the field has changed as the series had progressed.
Oh, well that's what I was referring too. Sorry, this is my first game in the series.

So yeah, why don't they market that more? I would have bought into it a loooong ass time ago if i knew about all this great stuff haha.

How many personas are in the game anyways? I've read about 200?

Opa-Pa

Oh, well that's what I was referring too. Sorry, this is my first game in the series.

So yeah, why don't they market that more? I would have bought into it a loooong ass time ago if i knew about all this great stuff haha.

You know, it's weird, but I never thought about this before. It is indeed pretty damn weird that not even other Megaten games are ever marketed with a focus on the monster catching mechanic, even in trailers it's only mentioned as just another minor feature instead of it being front and center.

Fans don't help much either, as the side of the games that's pushed the most when people recommend them is by far the social one.

You don't need to max out tower for Yoshitsune. He is not the ultimate tower persona. You do need to max out Moon, Chariot, Lovers, Judgement and Magician if you want the OP version of Yoshitsune. If you just want a normal one you need much less.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-invincible-killing-machine-in-persona-5.aspx

Aaah I get it now, thanks.

Damn, that's a Gameinformer article about a specific broken persona recipe lol, how have times changed.

asagami_

Banned
It's a good choice, there are some incredible J-RPGs on the system many didn't get the attention they deserved though... Games like Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean the Last hope or Eternal Sonata for example. Valkyria Chronicles was also an incredible gem, however you can play that on PC nowadays too.

My PC is not suited for games, so I'm limited right now ;_; Funny thing because the Cold Steel games will be also avaible in PC and it will have more voices, but I will be happy if I can play them in PS3.

Why not just buy a regular non-pro 4 then, arent they pretty cheap now?

Hmm maybe, but it's not as cheaper as in USA or other places, and it would be a used model, so I would prefer to buy it in a store to get full warranty.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Brought my Vita to work but not sure if I want to start up P4G while I still havent finished 5, I fear shit will start to overlap in my head.

Then again I could just start it because I've seen up to Kanji's stuff in the endurance run. Also I forgot to charge my Vita from when I downloaded P4G the other day so I probably don't have much charge anyway lol. Will probably play a bit to see how the port is, while watching the ER I actually thought the stockier models and less than detailed dungeons would translate much better in a handheld.

ramyeon

Brought my Vita to work but nit sure if I want to start up P4G while I still havent finiahed 5, I fear shit will start to overlap in my head.

Then again I could just start it because I've seen up to Kanji's stuff in the endurance run. Also I forgot to charge my Vita from when I downloaded P4G the other day so I probably don't have much charge anyway lol. Will probably play a bit to see how the port is, while watching the ER I actually thought the stockier models and less than detailed dungeons would translate much better in a handheld.
Don't do it - finish 5 first.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I had a decent chunk of change so I decided to do some fusions. I'm broke now.

This is me everytime lol.

Man I'm feeling bittersweet about being close to the end. I still have 2 castles left but im like 2 thirds of the way into
October (think I saved 10/21)
, so its not necessarely close hour wise (I assume I still have like 20 hours left or something) but certainly narratively wise, and especially social links deadline wise (I know the last day of "gameplay")

Chaos17

It's all about fame.
Persona franchise who is a spin off of the main serie Shin megami tensei was not that popular back then even the main serie Megami Tensei is a niche serie. The proof is that even now people in this thread never ever heard or touched the main serie while the core of gameplay is same (except for social link).

In the contrary you have big IP like Pokemons which is a well established serie, no one would want to fight with Pokemon in Japan until Yokai watch happened. But outside of Japan, Youkai watch didn't became that popular even if you have to catch monsters too.

Persona was niche during playstation and playstation 2 era even with PSP. Only PS Vita brought back P4 from the dead in the west. I don't really understand myself why the west didn't ignored P4 like they did during the past. That's s till a mystery for me.

Anyway, the last thing that Persona serie would want to market is the catching mechanic, the social links is what made that franchise bloom and became a serie separated from Shin Megami Tensei. Yeah, the same similar thing that people hate in new Fire Emblem (marriages) is what made Persona continue to live and be popular. Whatever people say, Persona is the proof that people like this kind of feature.

Otherwise Shin Megami Tensei would've been popular if catching mechanic was a selling point but it isn't.

zelhawks37

Alright time for a nitpick.

Post palace 7 spoilers:

The way the group reacted when it was revealed ryuji was alive after escaping the palace was beyond silly. Cmon, give the guy an emotional hug or something after saving the whole group!

Zaru

Ryuji is basically calling me to level up his confidant and I know it will get me an annoying instakill skill that can't be turned off. Is there no way to avoid it other than leaving his story on hold?

Opa-Pa

Ryuji is basically calling me to level up his confidant and I know it will get me an annoying instakill skill that can't be turned off. Is there no way to avoid it other than leaving his story on hold?

There isn't, but as someone who was concerned about it too, the skill isn't really too bad. It only activates when you ambush a considerably weaker shadow than you, so I've only used it like 5 times.

Alright time for a nitpick.

Post palace 7 spoilers:

The way the group reacted when it was revealed ryuji was alive after escaping the palace was beyond silly. Cmon, give the guy an emotional hug or something after saving the whole group!

Yeah, that was dumb. That's one scene I absolutely would have rewritten.

Guess Who

Banned

No, but I honestly never found it an issue unless you're doing old sections of Mementos. Unless you're significantly overleveled, I suppose.

Rhaknar

Persona was niche during playstation and playstation 2 era even with PSP. Only PS Vita brought back P4 from the dead in the west. I don't really understand myself why the west didn't ignored P4 like they did during the past. That's still a mystery for me.

Giantbomb Endurance Run probably helped, they were already bug back then and they said many times how the ER was the most popular content they did at the time. It was also more marketing (free marketing at that) than Atlus ever spent on a game lol.

mrmickfran

I fucking love this Twitter/Facebook account

vlJ3pvv.jpg

nOoblet16

It's not really what you think. It only works on enemies that are way below your level, basically enemies who would give you little to no XP and money relative to your level and would just waste your time. Time that you would rather spend moving forwards and fighting enemies that actually give you stuff that would make a difference at your level.

I mean there's no point getting into a fight that gives 100XP and 400 yen when you could move forward and fight an enemy that gives you 600XP and 4000 yen.

So unless you are way overleveled for late game fights (like 90+) and want to fight all the enemies for the sake of having something to fight...it's not really an issue.

ramyeon

This is a huge non issue that was blown out of proportion. You have nothing to worry about with regards to that skill.

Rhaknar

This is a huge non issue that was blown out of proportion. You have nothing to worry about with regards to that skill.

Yup. In fact its awesome for going back to lower mementos because for some reason you have a request there and you just want to blow through it fast.

Unless you hadnt been getting personas, there is zero chance all of that shit wont be repeats.

Zafir

Palace 7 is actually irking me a bit and reminding me of some of the issues I've had with the game so far.

Ok....so the sign outside the restaurant says I need a membership card, to get inside and get one of five invitations, so I can get into the next area? There's a cutscene implying membership is needed.

Ugh, I don't like where this is going. Hopefully not a ton of backtracking, but ok. Lets go look around. What? I can't find anything anywhere. Let's check the restaurant to see if I missed anything. Wait....so even though I knew about the membership card via the menu outside, and the whole team acknowledged it, I can't trigger the card conversations elsewhere until I go INTO the restaurant and talk to the host? That's really frustrating and makes me wonder why the first cutscene existed at all

Finally, regarding Futaba's perks,
I really wish I could disable her treasure finder and the treasure respawn abilities. When I'm running around the same areas looking for stuff, and fighting the same enemies, those little 10 second cuts where she respawns the palace treasure, or scans the enemy so I know they have a rare item are just grating.

On top of that I'm having more ambush jank here then I did in palace 5. I may take a break for a few days and come back to it to finish the rest, all this stuff all hit at the same time when I was really enjoying the game and I don't want to burn out and have to force myself through.

Yeah I had the same thing happen with regards to the
restaurant. I ran around for ages trying to get the card before I went inside and the host mentioned it again, which allowed the lost card to be found
. -.-

NotLiquid

9/17 spoilers

Fuuuuuuuck Morgana. Yeah, Ryuji was a dick to him but at least Ryuji will pretend to put his dickishness aside. I can't even begin to feel sorry for Morgana being even more of a baby.

RalchAC

Haha never mind, sorry to bother you with that guys.

I lived bitch

She's good but the way the game itself treats her is awful and gross.

I kind of trolled you there, my friend. The twist wouldn't have worked as well if you knew it wasn't a bad ending.

Did you spoke to Futaba after the info dump? You can get some extra information about what the rest of the cast did while you were there.

Best plot twist.

Opa-Pa

I kind of trolled you there, my friend. The twist wouldn't have worked as well if you knew it wasn't a bad ending.

Did you spoke to Futaba after the info dump? You can get some extra information about what the rest of the cast did while you were there.

Best plot twist.

Haha don't worry, I realized a bit later.
And yeah she offered a more elaborate explanation which was very appreciated. I loved the whole thing.

In addition to what everyone else has said, it doesn't automatically instakill if you don't want it to. Since it only works on ambushes against underleveled enemies, the easy way to circumvent the instakill is to let the enemy see you first before attacking. I do this all the time in Mementos when I just want to farm money or materials. Protip: watch the button prompt when you're close to an enemy. It'll switch from "Ambush" to "Attack" once the enemy is aware of your presence; press X when it says "Attack" and you'll be fine.

I think? once the level gap is high enough, you might still instakill an enemy even if it's not an ambush, but honestly by that point you're farming enemies 20 levels below you and it's really not worth it anyways. Also, if this actually has happened to me (it's not totally clear to me that it has), it's happened all of twice or three times in 110 hours.

Gartooth

So about sending the calling card in December...
the game doesn't make me wait until the end like November. I assume I get the rest of the time for confidants after I finish the palace?

Shouta

In addition to what everyone else has said, it doesn't automatically instakill if you don't want it to. Since it only works on ambushes against underleveled enemies, the easy way to circumvent the instakill is to let the enemy see you first before attacking. I do this all the time in Mementos when I just want to farm money or materials. Protip: watch the button prompt when you're close to an enemy. It'll switch from "Ambush" to "Attack" once the enemy is aware of your presence; press X when it says "Attack" and you'll be fine.

I think? once the level gap is high enough, you might still instakill an enemy even if it's not an ambush, but honestly by that point you're farming enemies 20 levels below you and it's really not worth it anyways. Also, if this actually has happened to me (it's not totally clear to me that it has), it's happened all of twice or three times in 110 hours.

Yeah, you want the skill to make getting through trash quickly. If Ryuji's insta-kill/insta-persona mask skill is kicking in, the enemies are far too low for you to farm. Even then, you can just force a regular encounter like you mentioned if you're looking to get a certain item or persona from that floor through negotiations.

Because Persona aren't 'cute'.

And it doesn't help that the one people always remember is Mara and Satan.

Opa-Pa

I mean that marketing strategy would be aimed at newcomers anyway. People who associate Megaten with Satan and Mara are already fans.

Rhaknar

So whos the P4G expert than im going to be bothering with questions for the next few weeks?

Step up, you know you want to senpai.

Top Bottom