• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JJShadow

Finally maxed out my first confidant, Ryuji in this case

He may be a perv and a moron in certain ocassions, but Ryuji bro is best bro. One of my favourite characters so far

For those at 150+ hours, are you enjoying it still? My enjoyment peaked at "omfg this is thr best game ever" around 50-60 hours in, but has steadily declined since then. I hit 100 hours yesterday and the game makes me want to kill myself, it's so god damn tedious.
Nope. If you don't feel like playing it, just stop. I'm not quite at 150 yet, but I'm at 145 hours. I'm going for the platinum and I haven't really felt fatigue. I'm only speeding up because my spring break is over and I have a 25 page paper to do.

Please tell me palace 5 is only like 1 or 2 floors.
Rip.

Opa-Pa

For those at 150+ hours, are you enjoying it still? My enjoyment peaked at "omfg this is thr best game ever" around 50-60 hours in, but has steadily declined since then. I hit 100 hours yesterday and the game makes me want to kill myself, it's so god damn tedious.

Well yeah, I'm 133 hours in and the game remains as good if not better than at the beginning for me.

What aspects exactly are tiring you out?

PK Gaming

C-KA_wcVwAIbG0n.jpg

source

I'm ~140 hours in, and three palaces into my second playthrough. Still great. Helps that I'm skipping a lot of dialogue this time around but I definitely still read dialogue from time to time, mostly because of stuff other people have said in the GAF P5 threads but often because I just like revisiting certain parts of the game.

If you're getting burned out after 100 hours, though, that's totally understandable as well. Especially near the end, the game just drops a ton of exposition on you.

Oh FFS I seriously hope there is more for the 7th palace than a boring
boat

Plot is a mess and the "Plot twist" after the 6th palace is beyond stupid.
This is easily the worst Persona game. Even P2 with
Hitler in shades and Aliens
was more coherent than this joke.

Atlus really dropped the ball with this one.

A question about Mementos missions; I've had the first non-mandatory one for a while now, and I keep waiting until I get more so I can clear them in one go, as I feel like it's a waste of a day to go into Mementos to just do just one. But I'm concerned at how long I've been waiting without any sign of more. My teammates have even started texting me about it a lot. It's currently 3rd of June; should I be doing something to trigger more?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just do this one, if only to get
Mishima
's next Confidant ability.

Opa-Pa

I seriously thought I was going a bit overboard fusing this little guy (that happened to be 5 levels above me!) before the Palace 7 boss, but without him I'd have probably had to restart from a safe room, which would have been super annoying.

I guess he's missing Enduring Soul though, that would have saved me those four deaths... But damn if invigorate 2 didn't help, even with the SP adhesive that was a battle of endurance!

boat

You say it like that P2 part wasn't the absolute best.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
boat

Well it took me a while, but I finally found one of those people that F0rneus was talking about.

Sorry it didn't work for you. That's a bummer.

I seriously thought I was going a bit overboard fusing this little guy before the Palace 7 boss, but without him I'd have probably had to restart from a safe room, which would have been super annoying.

I guess he's missing Enduring Soul though, that would have saved me those four deaths... But damn if invigorate 2 didn't help, even with the SP adhesive that was a battle of endurance!

He is easy at level 90+ lol

I can imagine lol. I plan on abusing the hell out of the reaper in NG+, but I want to remain a good citizen in my first playthrough.

At level 62 on Hard he was a fucking beast. But it was so damn fun too.
I was thinking of the last boss of the game, but my post still applies. I was 79 I think for the boss you're referring to. The reaper definitely helps out lol.

I would buy all 6 Persona games remade in this engine day one. I don't even care.
This may sound petty but I can't get past the graphics and presentation of old games I've never played. It bothers me a lot. But I would definitely play such a remake.

Opa-Pa

Any advice on getting all the vending machine drinks? I'm past the 7th palace already and I don't know what I'm missing. And yeah I've gotten them all from vending machines and not battles.

P2 was an amazing crazy ride. It was ridiculous but consistent with the atmosphere of the game.

Persona 5 tries to get all serious but fails spectacularly.
That even have a NPC pulling a "A wizard did it" to explain it.

Edit:
Any advice on getting all the vending machine drinks? I'm past the 7th palace already and I don't know what I'm missing. And yeah I've gotten them all from vending machines and not battles.
Have you tried Akihabara and the one opposite the Fortune teller?

Those were the ones I was missing.

pablito

I seriously thought I was going a bit overboard fusing this little guy (that happened to be 5 levels above me!) before the Palace 7 boss, but without him I'd have probably had to restart from a safe room, which would have been super annoying.

Yeah I fused a Raphael with autotaru and Apt Pupil in dungeon 7. Sword Dance critted the crap out of the whole dungeon. I felt a little guilty having something so strong lol.

Toki767

Some vending machines next to each other have different drinks.

pixxxelz

Question about temperance rank 10:
she doesn't have a scheduled after rank 9 right? I can just call her whenever?
Kinda want to wait till no one is available to call her.

Hoooooly shit did I luck out on Palace 5's boss.

I was all out of super healing items, boss was at like, 10% HP, He was about to charge up his super move, and a Mediarama wasn't gonna cut it.

It was do or die. So I hit him with the strongest attacks I got...and it wasn't enough.

I screamed when his health didn't drop to zero from that and his super move went off.

But his attack missed me
and Morgana

I had no buffs, no nothing. It missed. I screamed even louder when that happened.

I was thinking of the last boss of the game, but my post still applies. I was 79 I think for the boss you're referring to. The reaper definitely helps out lol.

This may sound petty but I can't get past the graphics and presentation of old games I've never played. It bothers me a lot. But I would definitely play such a remake.

Never really bothered me, but playing with DLC costumes makes me really want P1&P2IS/EP to be remade. P3 and P4 would be awesome, but they don't need it as bad as 1 & 2 do.

nOoblet16

Got my platinum in about 190 hours (lots of slacking though) !! The compendium wasn't that much of a hassle outside of the advanced fusion. Once I was done with it, most of the missing personas were from near the start of the game as I wasn't able to capture them back then, so it was cheap and quick. It cost me in total 1.8 million to go from 55% to 100%, close to half of that cost was just Satanael and its ingredient personas.

One good thing about the compendium is that if you sort it to show an unregistered list then it'll show you which arcana has a missing persona. It generally works EXCEPT it didn't for my last Persona !! I went through the entire list several times to find where I was missing but I didn't see any blanks AT ALL !! so I had to manually fuckin count personas from each arcana and compare it to an online list. And lo and behold I find that missing persona and fuse it...It was this bitch !!

Some vending machines next to each other have different drinks.

Wait.

Do you mean that sometimes, when you walk up to one of the machine icons in the minimap, and there's two machines right next to each other, that you can walk up to each one individually and they have different drinks in them?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

(I mean, not a big deal, but holy crap I would never have guessed that on my own, thank you!)

Zolo

Hoooooly shit did I luck out on Palace 5's boss.

I was all out of super healing items, boss was at like, 10% HP, He was about to charge up his super move, and a Mediarama wasn't gonna cut it.

It was do or die. So I hit him with the strongest attacks I got...and it wasn't enough.

I screamed when his health didn't drop to zero from that and his super move went off.

But his attack missed me
and Morgana

I had no buffs, no nothing. It missed. I screamed even louder when that happened.

I had a buff, but my MC dodged his attack like twice in a row. Apparently, it's not too hard to dodge.

EMT0

Banned
I've been thinking it over, and I'm convinced that the Persona games would be better for it if in the future, there was a better rationale on how your team of X people decides to only run 4 active participants at any given time so as to not overload the player. As it is, it's a rather clunky explanation which doesn't make much sense. The idea I've currently got bouncing around in my head is pretty simple, tbh. Shadows are either 'Manifested' or 'Peons'. Manifested Shadows are the ones you see running around when outside of battle that transform into SMT Demons. Peons are random fodder black blob Shadows that don't manifest into SMT Demons and won't directly attack you, but will attempt to pile on /aid Manifested Shadows during a battle by performing actions reminiscent of what your Nav teammate currently does, healing/buffing/calling reinforcement Manifested Shadows. You'd see them scurrying around in dungeons and instakill them if you happen to physically touch one while running about, but they're largely meaningless and simply just 'there' to add more flair to dungeons. But in battle? Your immediate team of 4(or less) is your chosen team to tackle the Manifested Shadow while the others(outside of your Nav) can be actively seen in the background holding back/fighting a horde of Peons, and your Nav is clearly visible behind your front four fighters.

Battles are basically identical as they currently are. Really. This is all just flair, for the most part where you can visibly see your teamates break off in order to give you an assist from an existing position in the battle instead of popping out of the blue, or can actually see your Nav moving around doing stuff to trigger their powers. I just thought it'd be cool as hell to see ingame, make battles look far more dynamic/entertaining, and explain away why you only have a core of 4 people battling and doing all the work.

So what was all that talk about Peons aiding Manifested Shadows? Well, that was an idea I had for adding some more mechanics to combat that I thought is cool, but could also be seen as adding too much for not enough gain and I consider a separate idea built on top of what I'd like to see in future Persona titles. Basically, both your team and the Shadows have a bar that starts at varying levels based on how you initiated the battle(ambush = low bar for them, high for you; normal = roughly equal bars; counter-ambushed = low you, high them) that slowly fills over time to trigger Nav/Peon buffs. They'll fill quicker if you're hitting criticals/technicals/killing enemies, same thing for the Shadows. You'll lose progress if enemies are doing the same to you. The chance that your Nav/supporting teamates will help you out scales higher the higher your bar is, but loses a big chunk of its progress on getting aided. At 100% bar, you're guaranteed some aid. Finally, your bar carries over once the battle is over and starts to drain until you initiate another battle, with the percentage changing based on how the battle was initiated.

Why do this? Persona seems to be trying to make the flow between dungeon crawling and battle go super smooth and stylish. Adding momentum to it and letting you have further control over the strategy aspect of the game seems like a plus for the players that would keep 90% of the combat system intact while making dungeons feel funner. Plus, I imagine that Atlus' devs have some ideas about how to make further use of the PS4's hardware now that the next Persona game is most likely not crossgen. This'd be a cool way to make use of a more powerful platform as the lowest denominator.

If you've read all this, thank you for humoring my daydreams.

Toki767

Got my platinum in about 190 hours (lots of slacking though) !! The compendium wasn't that much of a hassle outside of the advanced fusion. Once I was done with it, most of the missing personas were from near the start of the game as I wasn't able to capture them back then, so it was cheap and quick. It cost me in total 1.8 million to go from 55% to 100%, close to half of that cost was just Satanael and it's ingredient personas.

One good thing about the compendium is that if you sort it to show an unregistered list then it'll show you which arcana has a missing persona. It generally works EXCEPT it didn't for my last Persona !! I went through the entire list several times to find where I was missing but I didn't see any blanks AT ALL !! so I had to manually fuckin count personas from each arcana and compare it to an online list. And lo and behold I find that missing persona and fuse it...It was this bitch !!
Nice job.

And yeah. Some persona (I think it's only the ones you get from getting a Confidant to Rank 10) aren't shown at all on the list until you fuse them.

P2 was an amazing crazy ride. It was ridiculous but consistent with the atmosphere of the game.

I don't think any Persona will ever match P2 in the way it amps up so spectacularly during its third act (in both IS and EP). Boss spoilers:
I mean, fighting Hitler, aliens, cyborgs, mechs, a secret shadowy conspiratorial society, powerful and corrupt politicians, Shadow versions of the main characters, a serial killer, a Yakuza (the last boss of P1) and H.P. Lovecraft's most evil monster (Nyarlathotep) in in the third act. So much wedged in.

Both parts of P2 get so intense, dramatic and crazy the rest just can't compare. As you say, the atmosphere was so strong in those games.

Jintor

i actually really liked this version with an advance team and a backup team, especially once you unlock char switching in battle.

I had a question abou the endgame final dungeon and boss.
The momentos and the holy grail.
what would be some good personas to have? I kind of messed up and saved over my file and now Im at the end area. Im on lvl 60 or 65. I can't remember. I tried the fight to see if I can stand it and it want too bad I was just out of sp.

Question about temperance rank 10:
she doesn't have a scheduled after rank 9 right? I can just call her whenever?
Kinda want to wait till no one is available to call her.

Yeah, she has no set schedule at Rank 10; you can call whenever.
If you max her before the Summer, you can even call her during the vacation, whereas she will go on break until class resumes if you don't max her by then.

JKRMA

Banned
Hey guys, hoping for help.

November spoilers!
I am at the part of the 6th dungeon where I need to pay 100,000 to proceed, I accidentally got my math wrong l, bought some items and now am 170 coins shy of 100,000. Slot just keeps giving 20 which you gotta pay. I have been on the dice game for almost an hour and my coins are less now than before. Any tips?

Thud

I had a question abou the endgame final dungeon and boss.
The momentos and the holy grail.
what would be some good personas to have? I kind of messed up and saved over my file and now Im at the end area. Im on lvl 60 or 65. I can't remember. I tried the fight to see if I can stand it and it want too bad I was just out of sp.

Trumpeter with debilitate is a good one.

nOoblet16

Firstly, this is not exclusive to Persona or JRPG or any RPG. Almost every RPG has you select only a fraction of your friends for active party eventhiugh it doesn't make much sense for the non active party members to not be there fighting next to you.

Anyhow I've played the game for 190 hours and most of the time I can't even tell you what the background environment/detail was in my most recent fight because I was too busy looking at the boss and the menu. And let's not forget that if the game does what you say then it wouldn't make much sense to switch characters mid battles if even the backup team is busy doing something.

Toki767

Hey guys, hoping for help.

November spoilers!
I am at the part of the 6th dungeon where I need to pay 100,000 to proceed, I accidentally got my math wrong l, bought some items and now am 170 coins shy of 100,000. Slot just keeps giving 20 which you gotta pay. I have been on the dice game for almost an hour and my coins are less now than before. Any tips?

I did the same thing.

I just reloaded my previous save.

Opa-Pa

Turns out I was only missing some new drink at Shibuya!

Now, I'm guessing the books from the school library count toward the tropy too, right? Am I screwed if I didn't read them all by December?

i actually really liked this version with an advance team and a backup team, especially once you unlock char switching in battle.

You know, when I unlocked the first skill for that I thought it was a bit too convenient, but turns out the palace 7 boss is nearly impossible without it unless you're either overleveled or swimming in SP items haha. I felt like a fool maxing out that confidant right after the palace and getting the superior version too.

Top Bottom