• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Just finished the 7th palace.
I managed to do it in one day. The dungeon was alright, but I would have liked for there to have been more variety, the mouse puzzles got tedious. Can't really feel bad for Akechi biting the dust. He initially comes off as likeable despite being sus as fuck, but can't really forgive all the damage he did in addition to trying to kill Joker.
He reminded me of characters with similar arcs in past games in that regard. Shadow Shido was an OK fight. Took me two times since the first time I had him down to a sliver and tried to heal rather than just killing him before his next turn.

Need some advice here. This is my first Persona game so I made a mistake not focusing on leveling my social stats. I just finished the 2nd castle, but my Guts and Kindness are still at level 1. I'm realizing I lost out on a ton of time and should have leveled some confidants by now. Should I just reroll the game?

Nah, I'd say just go with it. The game expects you to make time management mistakes. You won't be able to complete every Confidant without a guide but that's the point, you'll have to choose which ones to focus on. It's best to play blind on your first playthrough even though it can be frustrating.

Taruranto

False, because 95% of Haru's lines are
"I won't forgive you for killing my father!"
and
"I have to do this in the name of my father!"
neither of which apply to Ann.
Fine, you win this Haru.

The next game really should introduce all party members by mid-game. This also suffers the same issue as P4, by December it feels like half of these characters are just here for the ride.

Characters like Makoto and Futaba fare a bit better because they have a personal connection to the events, but Ann and Yusuke haven't been relevant in months now. P3 did it best, really.

Ydelnae

When you realize that Morgana
can turn into a car in Mementos because while every member of the society uses a train that moves through fixed paths, the Phantom Thieves are able to chose what path they want to walk on. When you travel by train, you can only get out at certain spots and you always go through the same route, when you travel by car you are free to go wherever you want to and stop when you feel like it.

tumblr_nx8vnmJb8j1ql5yr7o2_400.gif

Splinter

So far I'm ~7 hours in, just added Anne to my party, and I haven't had much autonomy at all as far as choosing how to manage my time. I can't even leave my house to explore. It's been 100% story so far. Am I doing something wrong? At what hour mark will I be able to start having more free time to do other activities?

Edit: Also why do enemies appear different when engaged in battle? Why do the Knights transform into various enemies after the battle screen appears? (What is the in-game lore that explains this?)

Have any of you guys remote played this game on the vita? How are you finding it and is the screen size too small? The switch has really made me want to start remote playing stuff on a vita.

ShadyK54

So far I'm ~7 hours in, just added Anne to my party, and I haven't had much autonomy at all as far as choosing how to manage my time. I can't even leave my house to explore. It's been 100% story so far. Am I doing something wrong? At what hour mark will I be able to start having more free time to do other activities?

No, you're fine. Once you finish the first palace, things should start to open up more for you.

ckohler

Need some advice here. This is my first Persona game so I made a mistake not focusing on leveling my social stats. I just finished the 2nd castle, but my Guts and Kindness are still at level 1. I'm realizing I lost out on a ton of time and should have leveled some confidants by now. Should I just reroll the game?

I wouldn't worry about it. I heavily focused on my stats about half way through the game and now I'm regretting it because the game is chucking all kinds of free points at me during school/etc. and it's waisted because I'm already maxed out. :/

If I do a second play through, I'll probably hold off on upping my stats like knowledge or kindness until the game requires me to for a social link. Just be sure to not pass up opportunities for stats when they don't take away time... like drinking the shake in Shibya's Underground Walkways on Sundays and feeding the plant in your room.

can turn into a car in Mementos because while every member of the society uses a train that moves through fixed paths, the Phantom Thieves are able to chose what path they want to walk on. When you travel by train, you can only get out at certain spots and you always go through the same route, when you travel by car you are free to go wherever you want to and stop when you feel like it.

Haha, nice observation.

Aeana

When you make up an explanation for something and then are amazed by the scenario you created in your mind
He can transform into a car anywhere in the metaverse.

Pretty sure its cause most of tokyo has watched My neighbor totoro.

PK Gaming

Fine, you win this Haru.

The next game really should introduce all party members by mid-game. This also suffers the same issue as P4, by December it feels like half of these characters are just here for the ride.

Characters like Makoto and Futaba fare a bit better because they have a personal connection to the events, but Ann and Yusuke haven't been relevant in months now. P3 did it best, really.

I don't think the game needs to shoehorn relevance for every character though. It was problematic in Persona 4 because literally nobody barring Naoto and the protagonist did anything of note by the end, but the characters in P5 are dynamic enough to a point where they don't feel like they're just taking space. I'd also argue that Makoto and Futaba's personal connection to the narrative don't eclipse the rest of the cast towards the end of the game. It's like...
the Phantom Thieves are backed against the wall.

ChrisD

Palace 7 is worse than 5 tbh, I may have been super annoyed at the last puzzle there, but that's on me being a dumb-dumb. 7's is all spelled out for you, and you literally just Final Fantasy XIII through the (literal) hallways.

But

The music is super hype, and I still love the battle system. So it's not to the point I would say it's bad

It's just not good lol

ChrisD

Nooooo, I got Futaba's Voice Line trophy without trying Now I have no excuse to not replay for a Platinum.

I swear this isn't a brag at all, I don't Platinum games because I'd rather put time elsewhere. But if the most annoying one is out of the way I feel like it's my duty. ;-;

Nose Master

You know, I wish they sort of chilled on usable battle items in this game, or sorted them more clearly. I have like 97 items that do a variation of healing HP/SP/status, and they all have madlibs bullshit names so I have to manually scroll through the entire list looking for what I need.

Kyrios

Nooooo, I got Futaba's Voice Line trophy without trying Now I have no excuse to not replay for a Platinum.

I swear this isn't a brag at all, I don't Platinum games because I'd rather put time elsewhere. But if the most annoying one is out of the way I feel like it's my duty. ;-;

Mmm hmm, surrrre...

Lol

Thud

Speaking from experience there are worse trophies.

Opa-Pa

I am constantly under-leveled to fuse Personas. Is there an item or something I can get to help me gain EXP? I'm in Palace 3 at level 27, btw.

Like, any of them? Or just underleveled for some/most? Due to the nature of how fusion works, that'll always be the case, most will be a couple of level highers and a couple will be like 40.

But nope, I think the only exp boost item comes with the P3 costume pack, or maybe it was the P4 one? Not sure.

Aki-at

Omg Sojiro being direct as hell at Max rank lmao

"could you not...uh...Get with Futaba" Jesus, man, she's a toddler

You forgot his follow up line.

"It'd be weird hearing you call me father... actually that might not be so bad"

He definitely wants you as a son in law.

duckroll

Man, what's the point. I guess you only see it at the entrance of a Palace or Memento?

Yeah it's fucking lame. I put the SEES uniform on her, and you can only see her wear it at the start of Mementos and at every rest area. You can't have her in your party or in battles, so there's no visual there. When she pops a skill during a battle, the animation is the usual canned one with her in her cyber suit inside Necronomicon.

Honestly, as much as I don't mind paying for costumes at all, the implementation in P5 is getting more and more disappointing. Not only are the costumes only visible in dungeons, but they don't even apply to cutscenes, which is something most other RPGs have implemented ages ago. I can understand the anime FMVs, sure, but the in-game 3D cutscenes all use the fixed outfits as well. The only time you will see a story scene with the equipped costumes is if they are standing around talking with the fixed in-game camera. If there's anything dynamic at all, it switches to default stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's baffling just how terrible this localization is. Had to be an oversight or something, can't believe they let you announce such a crucial detail like that.

I think it is true to the original. Personas always have goofy answers.

Aki-at

It's baffling just how terrible this localization is. Had to be an oversight or something, can't believe they let you announce such a crucial detail like that.

Hide in plain sight, never expect me sucker!

If the answers have no obvious effect on the storyline (Or character's relationship status) then I'd always go for the stupid answer.

jonjonaug

Yeah it's fucking lame. I put the SEES uniform on her, and you can only see her wear it at the start of Mementos and at every rest area. You can't have her in your party or in battles, so there's no visual there. When she pops a skill during a battle, the animation is the usual canned one with her in her cyber suit inside Necronomicon.

Honestly, as much as I don't mind paying for costumes at all, the implementation in P5 is getting more and more disappointing. Not only are the costumes only visible in dungeons, but they don't even apply to cutscenes, which is something most other RPGs have implemented ages ago. I can understand the anime FMVs, sure, but the in-game 3D cutscenes all use the fixed outfits as well. The only time you will see a story scene with the equipped costumes is if they are standing around talking with the fixed in-game camera. If there's anything dynamic at all, it switches to default stuff.

The costume DLC feels like a complete after-thought this time around when you consider that the regular Phantom Thief costumes have a plot justification for them, to the point that (November 20th spoilers)
entire large chunks of the story partially hinge on whether or not they appear

Shouta

I'm not sure if you're serious but that's the exact same option in the Japanese version as well.

Top Bottom