• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JediLink

I finished it last night. Game is good but unlike Persona 4 which stayed with me for ages afterwards, all I can think about after this game is how much I liked 4 better. It doesn't help that I'm majorly bummed about only getting halfway through Haru and Futaba's slinks even though I know it's not the game's fault.

Although I like the phantom thieves as a concept more than 4's midnight channel and fairly laughable "murder-mystery", I found 4's story to be much better executed in general. I initially thought 4's story was a step down from 3's but after playing 5, I appreciate the things it did right a lot more.

Also am I the only one (endgame spoilers)
who was completely duped by Akechi? The game led you to dislike him the whole way through, but since I knew he was going to be a party member later I believed that it was all going to be about how first impressions aren't everything and he's actually a good guy after all. I can only wonder how I would've reacted if I didn't know he was going to be a party member; I wish his face wasn't on the damn splash screen lol.

kaitain19

I'm at the fourth Palace now, and I just can't understand why this game insists on making you waste so much potential free time by making you go to bed early.
The investigations for entering Futaba's Palace is especially guilty of this. There's just no way my character would be too tired to do anything after doing basically nothing but talking for a couple of minutes in a house that's only a stone's throw away from the cafe.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm at the fourth Palace now, and I just can't understand why this game insists on making you waste so much potential free time by making you go to bed early.
The investigations for entering Futaba's Palace is especially guilty of this. There's just no way my character would be too tired to do anything after doing basically nothing but talking for a couple of minutes in a house that's only a stone's throw away from the cafe.

That's just psychological. Mathematically, Persona 5 gives you more time than P3 and P4.

Opa-Pa

I wonder how much whether you've played P3 or not influences how much you end up liking P5.

Any fans who've played both 3 and 4 who hold 5 as their favorite now? I know I do (having played 1 and/or 2 counts too).

CSX

Quick question about EXP grinding exploit

Will spoil to be safe but it's nothing related to the story at all.

If the reaper is not in despair status, do you have to go back to a rest area and reenter to "reset" his chance of getting despair or can you just stay on the floor and keep ambushing him over and over till he eventually is in despair status?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wonder how much whether you've played P3 or not influences how much you end up liking P5.

Any fans who've played both 3 and 4 who hold 5 as their favorite now? I know I do.

I think my order is P5>P3>P4. My problems with P4 are about the core plot and characters. But it's still a perfect 10/10,

Guess Who

Banned

Any fans who've played both 3 and 4 who hold 5 as their favorite now? I know I do (having played 1 and/or 2 counts too)

Absolutely. There's very little in 4 and especially 3 that I don't think P5 does better. Which characters you like more is always subjective (and even then I'd still personally give it to 5), but aside from that P5 feels like an improvement in practically every facet.

ramyeon

Any fans who've played both 3 and 4 who hold 5 as their favorite now? I know I do (having played 1 and/or 2 counts too).
I think P5 is probably the best in the series from an objective standpoint. But nostalgia makes it hard for me to put it above P3 in my personal rankings.

Brine

If the reaper is not in despair status, do you have to go back to a rest area and reenter to "reset" his chance of getting despair or can you just stay on the floor and keep ambushing him over and over till he eventually is in despair status?
2nd option

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's the Scooby Doo gang, so things are rather cheerful in that game always that's why I hesitate with my ranking of it.

For me I think it's that P3 and P5 are all about kooky teens doing weird unexplained shit. I didn't need Tartarus explained. There's a special Midnight Hour. I can explore our school as a giant infinite tower during it. It's gloomy. It's mysterious. It's more gripping to me than 99% of RPG stories. The unknown makes it cool.

Persona 5 is the same way. You are kooky kids with a phone app that allows you to explore corrupt asshole adults. I don't need to know why. I don't need a backbone. I just want to explore weird cognitions, while having noodles with my buddies and fishing trips.

I noticed quite a bit of Persona 4 fans missing the more straightfoward storytelling. Not me. Far from it!

Dee Dee

I just finished the third palace!
Wait, it's 5am in the morning??

Those palaces are draining. Save point saving is bad. Getting critted it bad. Putting a party-wipe skill called "self-destruct" on shadows is bad.

Anyway, walkthrough says it's time to clean up Mementos now.
(Family says it's time to sleep now though.)

zulux21

I played and beat 3, got to about halfway on 4 and almost beat 5.

my rankings are easily
5>4>3

I didn't stop 4 because I hated it just got distracted, but 4 at least fixed the horrible dungeons to a degree by giving them more theme and flavor instead of a long ass crawl of color swaps.

I haven't even bothered playing Fes because it's just more of the worst part of persona 3 :/

Balphon

Do your party members stop hanging out with you in the last 7 days of a time limit? Seems like they just disappeared.

No, but they do become unavailable in the time between securing the route and sending the calling card for some reason.

It made a little more sense in P4 when they were just unavailable completely whenever there was an incomplete dungeon.

For me I think it's that P3 and P5 are all about kooky teens doing weird unexplained shit. I didn't need Tartarus explained. There's a special Midnight Hour. I can explore our school as a giant infinite tower during it. It's gloomy. It's mysterious. It's more gripping to me than 99% of RPG stories. The unknown makes it cool.

Persona 5 is the same way. You are kooky kids with a phone app that allows you to explore corrupt asshole adults. I don't need to know why. I don't need a backbone. I just want to explore weird cognitions, while having noodles with my buddies and fishing trips.

I noticed quite a bit of Persona 4 fans missing the more straightfoward storytelling. Not me. Far from it!
That's true, I love P4G and the whole cast but I love the tone of P3 and dark nature of it.

Special shoutouts to swag Yu
yu-amp-quot-man-whore-amp-quot-narukami_o_2188017.jpg

Escape and then back off a bit and then he will respawn with a chance of being in despair.

PK Gaming

Played in the order of P4 > P3 > P5.

Absolutely devoured P4G, beat it 2 times (+1 once in P4 vanilla) and it's one of my abbsolute favorite games of all time... but I liked P5 more. P4 does certain things better (slice of life events, pacing) but P5 thrashes it in pretty much every other category.

Tangentially speaking, but there's this weird double standard in regards to P5's narrative when compared to P4. I've seen people call out P5's narrative for being repetitive/bad, and yet praise P4 for somehow being better, and it always leaves me wondering if we played the same game. P4 is similarly repetitive, with a shockingly shallow "murder mystery" as a narrative thrust that barely gets explored until the endgame.

Not calling anyone out, but yeah.

Played in the order of P4 > P3 > P5.

Absolutely devoured P4G, beat it 2 times (+1 once in P4 vanilla) and it's one of my abbsolute favorite games of all time... but I liked P5 more. P4 does certain things better (slice of life events, pacing) but P5 thrashes it in pretty much every other category.

Tangentially speaking, but there's this weird double standard in regards to P5's narrative when compared to P4. I've seen people call out P5's narrative for being repetitive/bad, and yet praise P4 for somehow being better, and it always leaves me wondering if we played the same game. P4 is similarly repetitive, with a shockingly shallow "murder mystery" as a narrative thrust that barely gets explored until the endgame.

Same order I played and 5 is my favorite of the bunch. The improvements made to the dungeons make this one more enjoyable to play. I thought the storyline in 5 was also better, had a great initial setup.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I feel like overall, P5 is objectively the best game in the series, but the games have a heavy focus in characters and story so I can see why most would still prefer an older game due to those factors.

As far as modern Persona goes, for me it's 5>4>3, but I love all three really.

Yeah I've noticed. 4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I've never really seen it as a particularly good example of storytelling or anything. What it definitely does is have an easy to love cast and an endearing story, so it's really easy to get attached to the game despite its flaws. It's really weird to see P5 get compared to P4 in things it does better and people trying to use the comparison to say the opposite haha.

For the record, I do prefer 5 in every single way. Gameplay, music, characters, story, everything! Kinda crazy since I like 4 so much but it's just that good.

Tigress

Hey, is there anyway I can get the unlimited lock pick in my new game plus? Like if I just keep the craf tables I need to make it do they carryover or if I make it does it carry over?

Oh, and I prefer 4's characters but I prefer 5's theme. Story wise I'm not sure which I prefer. I do think that (slight spoilerish
its kinda cheesy that if you know the twist to the villain in 4 you can guess the twist villain in 5 as they are very similar characters that would fool you for the same reasons. Hell, they have similar jobs even.

libregkd

I think my order is P5>P3>P4. My problems with P4 are about the core plot and characters. But it's still a perfect 10/10,
I played the games in order (3->4->5) and this is me as well. I think 3, 4 and 5 are absolutely fantastic games and are all I would recommend to people. But how much I liked each game really just came down with how well the characters and plot resonated with me. Which even still it's sometimes hard for me to decide between 5 and 3. I liked the core plot/premise of 5 more than 3 but 3 has some fantastic characters. And more specifically (just to be safe, some Persona 3 spoilers)

Persona 3 does something that 4 doesn't do and 5 sorta does but not really anything close to what 3 accomplishes. Which is that they manage to make your team mates feel "alive", for the lack of a better word. I just really love how your team mates in SEES all have things going for them during the main story outside of being around the protagonist and devoting time to SEES. I loved that characters were able to build/have relationships with others without the protagonist being involved (Yukari/Mitsuru, Junpei/Chidori, Fuuka/Natsuki, etc.) and I loved that your relationship towards other SEES members starts out as more like co-workers than as friends and that eventually you actually become friends with them as you work together and experience struggles together. Hell it probably wasn't the best gameplay mechanic but I even liked that there were certain nights where characters were just busy with school stuff or club stuff to go into Tartarus; there were just a bunch of instances in 3 where it just builds that these characters have other things going on in their lives and prioritizes them appropriately.

Hey, is there anyway I can get the unlimited lock pick in my new game plus? Like if I just keep the craf tables I need to make it do they carryover or if I make it does it carry over?

None of the items or crafting ingredients carry over to NG+. Enjoy grinding for liquid mercury and red phosphorus!

Only gear you can equip--armor, weapons, accessories--and the confidant gifts/chocolates (which I think become key items) carry over.

Grisby

About ready to go into dungeon 3. At about 20 something hours.

Let me say right off the bat the game is stylish as hell. Damn, the menu gifs do not do the game justice. I just really hate the fact I can't take any screenies because there are some gorgeous backgrounds at work here.

The whole thief theme is great too and I'm enjoying the more 'mature' setup compared to P4. That was some messed up stuff revealed in the second dungeon.

Kind of like with Persona 4 though I'm not really sure on what to focus on or do with my time. I went straight into getting some kindness up so I could chat with a party member, but I still feel like there isn't going to be time to chat everyone up. I'm hoping to get my social skills up enough to at least finish the Slinks for all the party members (is that even possible, I remember being to get everyone in p4 with the exception of Naoto), and the
doc/teacher
, just because those seem kind of funny/messed up.
Sojiro
though is turning out to be a little boring. Plus, it seem like it takes forever to try and establish a bond (if I don't
make coffee that is
).

One question, am I going to need to do mementos to find out about
Morgana
? I was never a fan of Persona's random dungeons. The one solace I see is that it seems like I can save a bunch of these requests and just hit them in one go.

Gah, I need more time.

Balphon

None of the items or crafting ingredients carry over to NG+. Enjoy grinding for liquid mercury and red phosphorus!

Took me far longer to get aluminum plates. I went into mementos during torrential rain largely by chance and left with more mercury and phosphorus than I really needed.

Dark_castle

Yeah I feel like overall, P5 is objectively the best game in the series, but the games have a heavy focus in characters and story so I can see why most would still prefer an older game due to those factors.

As far as modern Persona goes, for me it's 5>4>3, but I love all three really.

Yeah I've noticed. 4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I've never really seen it as a particularly good example of storytelling or anything. What it definitely does is have an easy to love cast and an endearing story, so it's really easy to get attached to the game despite its flaws. It's really weird to see P5 get compared to P4 in things it does better and people trying to use the comparison to say the opposite haha.

For the record, I do prefer 5 in every single way. Gameplay, music, characters, story, everything! Kinda crazy since I like 4 so much but it's just that good.

I can totally understand people preferring the story or characters of previous games since these aspects are quite subjective, but the gameplay is so much better in 5 that I find it hard some preferred the older ones. Just being able to choose which skill to inherit during fusion makes it way better than the random rng bs in 3 and 4. Now I know 4G fixed this, but we're talking vanilla game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
At least P5 crew are legit smart unlike p4. I mean the amount of times they are puzzled about stuff that are clearly obvious like 'who is that person on the midnight channel even though it's as obvious as a brick to your face!' was quite annoying.

It's really hard to rank 5 for me. Much harder than I'd anticipated. Prior to finishing the game, I was ready to crown this game as the top Persona and maybe my GOAT. After finishing it, I'm not as sure as I thought I'd be. It really is a stellar game, but it does some unforgivable shit in terms of its soundtrack (I'm especially big on this), social links, and final stretch and it's just hard for me to get over it. I can explain more, but when I finished Persona 4 Golden, I thought, 'Wow what a ride.' When I finished Persona 5, I thought 'Man I hope Persona 5: Golden/Crimson/FES comes out sooner rather than later.' Maybe my expectations were higher after all this time? I almost feel guilty saying that because I appreciate the shit outta this game lol.

As it stands right now, Persona 5 is probably the best Persona game and one of the best RPGs ever made. Scary part is that I know it can be a lot better. I just really hope they're able to put the time into a thorough remaster that fixes some of the game's flaws. Not sure if that'll be possible with Project Re Fantasy though.

For NG+, is there any point in using a guide to max all confidants, or is it pretty much automatic? I won't have to waste time raising social stats except a few more points in guts, and I have Kawakami's R10 key item right from the get go, so should it be pretty hard to miss getting R10 for all confidants?

Are there any that I have to do by a certain date or else I miss out permanently?

Also who has the best Romance scene?

zulux21

For NG+, is there any point in using a guide to max all confidants, or is it pretty much automatic? I won't have to waste time raising social stats except a few more points in guts, and I have Kawakami's R10 key item right from the get go, so should it be pretty hard to miss getting R10 for all confidants?

Are there any that I have to do by a certain date or else I miss out permanently?

I imagine those will be fine.
just make sure to read your mishima texts as there is a misable request.

Top Bottom