• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Guess Who

Banned
I did notice Azusa Kido's name in the credits both as a scenario planner and Confidant planner in P5. Would be interesting to know what parts in particular she worked on.

She's also involved with Re Fantasy.

Young Magus

While we're on spin offs, one other thing I'm curious about if a P5A happens(endgame spoilers)
how would they implement Goro? Crow + Robin Hood or would they go with the black mask version with Loki? I'm guessing the former initially to avoid spoilers and maybe psycho Goro as DLC. Also I'd main the fuck out of Crow Goro cuz Robin Hood is the best.

The only way I'll take Goro coming back is if its Black Mask Goro who is kinda-sorta-inbetweena revived/reanimated via the bigbad for his plans.

PK Gaming

I did notice Azusa Kido's name in the credits both as a scenario planner and Confidant planner in P5. Would be interesting to know what parts in particular she worked on.

She's also involved with Re Fantasy.

She's been in charge of social links forever, and she co-directed P3P (which explains... a lot honestly).

Since she's with Re Fantasy I guess that leaves out of directing a potential P5:R, haha...

Opa-Pa

In P3, when the male protagonist becomes the field leader, Junpei expresses jealously but mostly keeps it to himself.
In P3P, when the female protagonist becomes the field leader, there's an instance where Junpei demands to know why she was picked instead of him, especially since she's a girl. Mitsuru loses her shit and threatens to kill his ass if he kept that sexism up.

It's such a great, powerful moment that really sold the female route as more than just a Mass Effect style gender swap. If P5 implements something like that, i'd love to see more scenes like that.

In other words... let Azusa Kido direct P5: The Crimson

zhf3lM0.jpg

Yes, this was so, so good. This is exactly the kind of moment I want from modern Persona when a party member that I'm supposed to like is constantly doing questionable things. This is what Yosuke should have faced regarding his predatory and homophobic shit.

But... Azusa Kido? Was that person responsible for the female route, then? I naively assumed it was handled by the original staff, but this makes much more sense. No wonder their handling of these things hasn't evolved much from P3.

Give this person the franchise already, Hashino and company can remain busy with Studio Zero forever for all I care.

Guess Who

Banned
Yes, this was so, so good. This is exactly the kind of moment I want from modern Persona when a party member that I'm supposed to like is constantly doing questionable things. This is what Yosuke should have faced regarding his predatory and homophobic shit.

But.. Azusa Kido? Was that person responsible for the female route, then? I naively assumed it was handled by the original staff, but this makes much more sense. No wonder their handling of these things hasn't evolved much from P3.

Azusa Kido directed P3P in particular, but she was also writing staff on vanilla P3/P4/P5 (and now Re Fantasy, so she seems to be sticking close to the core "Persona Team").

StoneFox

Doing a Mementos grind, but the party banter keeps me sane.

Ryuji: I've been working on the railroad, all the live long day!
Morgan: I've been working on the railroad, just to pass the time away!

It was truly fitting when those two did that after a rather long stretch with no breaks haha

zulux21

heh... finally got the 250 futaba lines on what I think is the final boss
final boss spoiler for the line
a surge of gluttony line as a sword doubled all my skill costs.

PK Gaming

But.. Azusa Kido? Was that person responsible for the female route, then? I naively assumed it was handled by the original staff, but this makes much more sense. No wonder their handling of these things hasn't evolved much from P3.

Yep. Also worth noting:

• P3P's implementation of romance is miles ahead of what P4/P5 had. P3P used this romance flag system, so you actually have to be actively trying to start a relationship, instead of the game awkwardly working a "do you want to date now??" into rank 8/9.
  • Cut out the transphobic beach event.
  • Was way more LGBT friendly.
I doubt she's actively responsible for all of these things, but it's clear her involvement in the direction side had positive results.

Does anyone know if Blank Cards carry over to NG+?
Yeah I think it happens 100% of the time when you're more than 5 levels higher than the enemy and the highest level enemies are like 78?
I don't remember the level but for a while I could only fight the red glowing enemies (always Mot/Abaddon + 2 Kali)
In P3, when the male protagonist becomes the field leader, Junpei expresses jealously but mostly keeps it to himself.
In P3P, when the female protagonist becomes the field leader, there's an instance where Junpei demands to know why she was picked instead of him, especially since she's a girl. Mitsuru loses her shit and threatens to kill his ass if he kept that sexism up.
Wish I had played P3P. Didn't a similar scene happened in PQ with Naoto?
Doing a Mementos grind, but the party banter keeps me sane.

Ryuji: I've been working on the railroad, all the live long day!
Morgan: I've been working on the railroad, just to pass the time away!

It was truly fitting when those two did that after a rather long stretch with no breaks haha
There was a dialogue where Futaba goes "choo choo!" too lol

KraytarJ

I still think they swiped some of Hifumi's stuff and gave it to Makoto. Hifumi's abilities make a ton of sense for someone who is the party strategist. Even the code name "Queen" makes much more sense for someone who thinks of themselves as the ruler of their own little shogi kingdom instead of Makoto's sorta-power trip aggressive thing.
God that would have been amazing. Makoto is cool and all but chuuni shogi player controlling the battlefield would have been incredible.

zulux21

man I think this is supposed to be a touching scene from morgana... but.

very very very late game spoilers

morgana is saying if even one of us still stands that will be enough.
all I am hearing though is "you have slept enough joker, I should know I told you to go to bed a million times, so get your ass up." >.<:

PK Gaming

Does anyone know if Blank Cards carry over to NG+?

I don't remember the level but for a while I could only fight the red glowing enemies (always Mot/Abaddon + 2 Kali)

There was a dialogue where Futaba goes "choo choo!" too lol

There's still time my dude. Grab it for cheap on Vita if you have one.

And i'm not sure Re: PQ.

Opa-Pa

Yep. Also worth noting:

• P3P's implementation of romance is miles ahead of what P4/P5 had. P3P used this romance flag system, so you actually have to be actively trying to start a relationship, instead of the game awkwardly working a "do you want to date now??" into rank 8/9.
  • Cut out the transphobic beach event.
  • Was way more LGBT friendly.
I doubt she's actively responsible for all of these things, but it's clear her involvement in the direction side had positive results.

This is all pretty eye-opening honestly, I feel very silly for sleeping on this route for so long after owning P3P all this time... Thank you for sharing. To be honest I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with the female route to the end, but now I feel 100% motivated to play it until the end. It enhances P3 immensely.

And Jesus, the romance in the original P3 was godawful, I still remember maxing up Yuko's SL and finding out I was suddenly her boyfriend without any questions because Hashino never had female friends growing up and friendship between men and women felt unnatural to him lmao.

Azusa Kido directed P3P in particular, but she was also writing staff on vanilla P3/P4/P5 (and now Re Fantasy, so she seems to be sticking close to the core "Persona Team").

Sigh, so much for P6 being directed by her then :(

I recall some event where Junpei finds out Naoto is female and he starts making a big deal about it until Shinji tells him to stop and says it makes no difference, then Mitsuru says gender means nothing in the battlefield or something along thos lines.

valkyre

Holy chit are you me lol? I have a 60vt60 and any static UI pretty much wrecks my TV, aka any jrpg.

Thing is almost every modern game allows you to tweak the UI and i dont think there is a game that has such huge font constantly on your screen. And it is useless as well...

I still think they swiped some of Hifumi's stuff and gave it to Makoto. Hifumi's abilities make a ton of sense for someone who is the party strategist. Even the code name "Queen" makes much more sense for someone who thinks of themselves as the ruler of their own little shogi kingdom instead of Makoto's sorta-power trip aggressive thing.

I fully believe this as well. I basically said the same thing in another thread:

Hifumi was robbed. we were robbed.

- We were denied her rightful place as a member of the Phantom Thieves.
- We were denied her relevant Palace, (my theory is that it would have been a media/PR-related target based on her s.link)
- We were denied her interacting with the rest of the characters and more chuuni dialogue.
- I also have a theory that "Queen" probably was originally meant to be her code name and she was meant to be the tactician of the group - especially considering what her confidant perks are. But then when they decided to cut down the length of the game some of her traits got put into Ms beep-boop seito-kaichou.

I'm genuinely hoping that some future version of P5 rectifies this, but I doubt it will ever happen tbh because of the investment required.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I fully believe this as well. I basically said the same thing in another thread:

I believe Queen is also a piece in Shogi.

RalchAC

I wish the game allowed you to use Dormina in a party member. It'd be a funny way to recover SP before you get the accesories. Every time a trash mob used it against a party member I was like: heeeeell yeaaah!

Woo my first post! Just some thoughts I had about female characters, people have probably already talked about this but its been bothering me

Is it just me or does it seem like the game is kinda contradictory that it tackles social issues but also perpetuates them eg sexual abuse of high schoolers and sexualisation of school girls but then goes way out of its way to have a pervy gaze towards Ann and sexualise the shit out of her. Even whens she dies her ass is in the air. It erks me sometimes, I just got to the pyramid and the cut scene has Ann cooling her top and the boys looking and you can see her bra. I think the last cut scene also had this with the Ann drying her skirt and the boys perving... IDK creeps me out how much they focus on that.

And the teacher being a maid and that whole situation was so dumb. I wanted not to even call the maid service cause it was so weird but you don't have that option.

And The Gay characters in Shinjuku....... nnn.

Also I read about how the producers talked about why the character is male. I don't think there will be a female protagonist going forward just cause Men don't want a Social Sim section were they have to date men.

IDK I find this one less charming than the older entries.. And I obviously have a lot of feelings bloop.

zulux21

*Watches the end credits roll*

These are less boring than the last time I saw them.
it is a shame I didn't get a chance to register my personas again or sell my extra items though :(

Woo my first post! Just some thoughts I had about female characters, people have probably already talked about this but its been bothering me

Is it just me or does it seem like the game is kinda contradictory that it tackles social issues but also perpetuates them eg sexual abuse of high schoolers and sexualisation of school girls but then goes way out of its way to have a pervy gaze towards Ann and sexualise the shit out of her. Even whens she dies her ass is in the air. It erks me sometimes, I just got to the pyramid and the cut scene has Ann cooling her top and the boys looking and you can see her bra. I think the last cut scene also had this with the Ann drying her skirt and the boys perving... IDK creeps me out how much they focus on that.

And the teacher being a maid and that whole situation was so dumb. I wanted not to even call the maid service cause it was so weird but you don't have that option.

And The Gay characters in Shinjuku....... nnn.

Also I read about how the producers talked about why the character is male. I don't think there will be a female protagonist going forward just cause Men don't want a Social Sim section were they have to date men.

IDK I find this one less charming than the older entries.. And I obviously have a lot of feelings bloop.

Welcome! You and I have largely the same thoughts. The game is cognitively dissonant and tone deaf on a not-infrequent basis. Basically, Atlus needs to decide on a direction for these games moving forward. Either they need to commit fully to tackling complex social issues, or they need to back away and accept being just another high school slice-of-life simulator with zany anime bullshit in it. Persona 5 proved that you can't be both, because the latter destroys any platform you have to seriously communicate the former.

zulux21

Estimation of playtime?
playtime spoilers :p
I finished with a bad ending at 67 hours, with the good ending at 85.5 hours.

I am fast though as my wife is at like 115 hours and still has at least 10 hours left to play.

that being said you can get to one of the bad endings in like 2 minutes if you don't accept the contract at the start of the game :3

Yeah, and so do the rest. I have like, 38 blank cards on my NG+ and all the stuff I got off of enemies the first go around and I'm not even in May yet.
Awesome! Thanks for the answer.
There's still time my dude. Grab it for cheap on Vita if you have one.
I'll try to! Everything about the Female Route seems so much better than Male's, especially having Social Links with ALL of your teammates.
I recall some event where Junpei finds out Naoto is female and he starts making a big deal about it until Shinji tells him to stop and says it makes no difference, then Mitsuru says gender means nothing in the battlefield or something along thos lines.
Yeah, that's the scene. Great way to handle SEES' reaction to Naoto.

I'm pretty sure you can skip the maid event. And you'll learn about her situation in her Confidant. I don't think it's dumb, she has no other option.

This doesn't excuse P5 for most of the scenes you mentioned but the older entries (P3 and P4) have pretty bad ones as well.
that being said you can get to one of the bad endings in like 2 minutes if you don't accept the contract at the start of the game :3
Now I know how will my NG+ will start
and end

zulux21

Awesome! Thanks for the answer.

I'll try to! Everything about the Female Route seems so much better than Male's, especially having Social Links with ALL of your teammates.

Yeah, that's the scene. Great way to handle SEES' reaction to Naoto.

I'm pretty sure you can skip the maid event. And you'll learn about her situation in her Confidant. I don't think it's dumb, she has no other option.

This doesn't excuse P5 for most of the scenes you mentioned but the older entries (P3 and P4 have pretty bad ones as well.

I know it won't sound like a good justification, but beyond game sales they also want to make merch sales, and figures are a decent market. "sexy" scenes help sell a ton of figures/toys, and in a game as long as the persona games a few sexy scenes doesn't ruin the overall experience even if you aren't a fan of such scenes.

Welcome! You and I have largely the same thoughts. The game is cognitively dissonant and tone deaf on a not-infrequent basis. Basically, Atlus needs to decide on a direction for these games moving forward. Either they need to commit fully to tackling complex social issues, or they need to back away and accept being just another high school slice-of-life simulator with zany anime bullshit in it. Persona 5 proved that you can't be both, because the latter destroys any platform you have to seriously communicate the former.

Thanks! And yes I agree, I get there are Sim dating elements and archetypes they adhere too but the characters are way too one dimensional. I would love if they made it a bit more grey but maybe I'm not deep enough into the story.

This is a BS excuse. There's no law saying Atlus had to write her Confidant link this way. They could have given her literally any other story.

This is a BS excuse. There's no law saying Atlus had to write her Confidant link this way. They could have given her literally any other story.
I meant it makes sense in her Confidant storyline in-game. Of course they could have given her any story they wanted, but the maid business ties with her Confidant abilities, and besides it's not like she does anything innapropiate besides calling you "Master" sometimes. The moment (10 rank spoilers)
she doesn't the money anymore she quits anyways.

I meant it makes sense in her Confidant storyline in-game. Of course they could have given her any story they wanted, but the maid business ties with her Confidant abilities, and besides it's not like she does anything innapropiate besides calling you "Master" sometimes. The moment (10 rank spoilers)
she doesn't the money anymore she quits anyways.

She offers "special services" and massages to the protag all the time. Her text messages letting you know that she's available for work are OTT lewd as well. Even if they ARE done "jokingly" it's in poor taste. By all rights, she should not have pursued continued contact after that first encounter; every time you called, she should've hung up. You also should not be able to romance her. Full stop. Period. End thought.

Kawakami is a creep and a pervert who has no business teaching. I don't care what contrived situation Atlus wrote her into in order to haphazardly justify it. It's predatory and disgusting and has no business being in a game about power imbalances between adults and minors.

Guess Who

Banned
It's probably fair to say I'm more forgiving of the way P5 handles certain things than Autoignition is, but even I think being able to romance Kawakami is pretty fucked and dissonant. Even if you want to argue that there's nothing inherently wrong with the basic premise of her story, romancing her totally goes against her own story. You can't have a sob story about
regretting the way you treated a former student and wanting to be a better teacher
and then have that character sleep with her student.

Are there any downsides to romancing multiple characters?

I don't remember it being that big of a deal in 3 and 4 besides 1 or 2 awkward scenes.

It's probably fair to say I'm more forgiving of the way P5 handles certain things than Autoignition is, but even I think being able to romance Kawakami is pretty fucked and dissonant. Even if you want to argue that there's nothing inherently wrong with the basic premise of her story, romancing her totally goes against her own story. You can't have a sob story about
regretting the way you treated a former student and wanting to be a better teacher
and then have that character sleep with her student.

The reason I'm so hard on Kawakami is because her story goes against her own story. Like you said, her story is about
the way she treated a former student
but it shoots itself in the foot by having her
constantly take money from a new student in order to make amends for the old thing.
It doesn't work. Even if you don't romance Kawakami, she still preys on the protagonist and takes advantage of him for literally her entire Confidant link, sometimes hitting on him in order to encourage him to call her more often. She's gross and needs to stop teaching -- at least stop teaching at the high school level, if nothing else.

zulux21

Are there any downsides to romancing multiple characters?

I don't remember it being that big of a deal in 3 and 4 besides 1 or 2 awkward scenes.

you get
to feel bad but get something extra for it at the end of the game :p

if I recall right in 3 after you started romancing multiple people sometimes some of the girls would get mad at you and you would be required to spend time with them to fix it, or wait it out... but it's been a while since I played it.

RalchAC

I haven't got far into that confidant but it kinda feels like its just playing into the hot teacher/student fetish lol.

My take on it is the following.

Seeing her normal day to day clothes, he isn't that much of a "hot teacher". The Maid stuff, while certainly weird (although the scene where you met her was hilarious), kind of makes sense thematically. Kind of.

Most adult Confidants seem to have an embarrasing side of sorts. Like how Tae doesn't give a crap about selling you stuff
(plus the whole Plague thing)
, Iwai past ties
to the Yakuza
, Chihaya scamming customers with the Holy Stone business or Yoshida's scandals and him being uncapable of being reelected after 20 years.

The Maid stuff for the most party doesn't feel that offensive.
With her maid outfit I can see the "hot teacher" part though. In any case, most of the encounters you have with her on the Confidant storyline are more like a parody of sorts. She talks to you, wastes time, calls you Master to tease you, says she is going to clean or whatever and then she says something like: "Oh, but the dusty atmosphere is part of its charm!" and leaves without actually doing anything.

There aren't any kind of sexual approaches while she is wearing the maid outfit. She considers the time you pay as some sort of break TBH. She even falls asleep in your bed.

The whole thing basically is more of a: if you call me every once in a while I'll let you slack off in class. You're welcome! She even takes advantage of your kindness at first, making you think she has to pay some expensive hospital bills because her sister has a chronic disease or something like that.

I won't say the Maid/Hot Teacher stuff is not there. It is. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to romance her. But her Confidant doesn't really feel like pandering most of the time. And for what I've been told (never tried) she seems to resist a little to the idea of romancing a student of hers.

So... yeah, there is some pandering and anime jank. But at least for me the game manages to draw the line between having that kind of stuff without harming the story too much. Or maybe I just like the kind of humor most shonen anime has as long as it doesn't include gay sexual predators chasing you.

Edit: The massage part is definitely weird. And the washing machine stuff. I'd have rather give the former gameplay perk as some kind of energy drink developed by Tae and the later to Sojiro's Confidant. Like him saying: "oh, you have to study tonight. Give me those clothes and I'll bring them clean to you tomorrow".

Top Bottom