• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

giphy.gif

Enjoy
https://youtu.be/LYMsmapyNOY

PixelatedBookake

Personally, after beating P5 I think it's my favorite. Persona 3 had a great story but not the best characters aside from a handful and not being able to control your team was ass. Persona 4 had better characters but the story is very bare bones and (this maybe due to the spinoffs) but seem more one-note to me. Persona 5 had the right blend of story and characters. I like how they're not all kind to each other and give each other ribbings like good friends do. And the moment ENDGAME SPOILERS 12/24
when you free each one of them from Velvet Room jail you really see how much becoming Phantom Thieves allowed them recognize their growth as people.

I just feel like the game was spectacular all of the way through (aside from Palace 5) and these fully realized characters completing this year long journey together has never felt this cohesive in the Persona games I've played.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Anyone know when Crystal Skull and Hope Diamond spawn in mementos?

I seem to see conflicting stuff saying it's only at the end of the game, but some others saying they've gotten them earlier. I'm at the 7th dungeon and mostly wondering if I can get them without beating it again since I'm just trying to finish the compendium now.

Opa-Pa

And Foul Breath? Wondering how far I could take this.

I believe so, almost everything stacks in this game. It should give despair 100% chance unless the enemy has immunity to it.

Edit: Actually now that I remember, I had this same setup but for Confuse, and without foul breath it worked 4 out of 5 times. Foul breath probably seals the deal.

Astral

Dammit I know NOVEMBER SPOILERS
Akechi
betrays you
but they're making him so likeable in this Palace. It feels bad.

Nimby

Banned
The only thing that I really dislike about P5 is the lack of strong sidequests. SMTIV/Apocalypse had a ton of fun and challenging sidequests, but Mementos doesn't really live up to that. You get so engrossed with the daily life, it's hard to find time to go to mementos; so you end up putting it off until all the side bosses are jokes and the number of quests pales in comparison to SMTIV. Then when you reach the last day (no story spoilers)
you're locked into the final boss run with nothing else to do.
P5 is leagues above SMTIV/A still, that's the only major gameplay aspect I can think of.

In comparison to P3 and P4, gameplay wise it's superior. It's a much funner game to play, and outdoes both those games in that regard. To be honest, I'm not that fond of P3/4, they're good games. Easily my least favorite of the PS2 games besides Raidou, still great games though, but I'd rather replay P5, Nocturne or a 3DS SMT.

So for me, yeah P5 >>>>>>>>>> P4 > P3

For NG+, is there any point in using a guide to max all confidants, or is it pretty much automatic? I won't have to waste time raising social stats except a few more points in guts, and I have Kawakami's R10 key item right from the get go, so should it be pretty hard to miss getting R10 for all confidants?

Are there any that I have to do by a certain date or else I miss out permanently?

Also who has the best Romance scene?

It's automatic, there's no point to a NG+ guide, you'll max everything with months to spare.

zulux21

Dammit I know (11/21 spoiler)
Akechi
betrays you
but they're making him so likeable in this Palace.
It feels bad.

uh... seriously give context to that spoiler ASAP (as I did in your post)
that is not remotely a good spoiler to leave without context.

Figments

Started my first New Game+ route the other day. Can't believe how fun this game still is.

Though I'm really starting to feel like it was a missed opportunity not including a female protagonist route. The excuse for it not being there was kind of flimsy, but oh well.

Hopefully Persona 5 Golden becomes a thing and they do it there.

asagami_

Banned
I'm liking P5 so much, but because it,s almost modern P2
there are not direct references, but the callbacks are notables
. My ranking is P2:IS>=P3P (Female route)>P2:EP>P3 The Answer>P4>P1 (PSP)>=P3 The Journey. I wonder where I will place P5 in my ranking.

KraytarJ

I seem to see conflicting stuff saying it's only at the end of the game, but some others saying they've gotten them earlier. I'm at the 7th dungeon and mostly wondering if I can get them without beating it again since I'm just trying to finish the compendium now.
I couldn't find Crystal Skull until after all the palace 7 stuff but I did get it before the last day. Hope Diamond I found during the palace 7 timeframe and after too. So I'd just recommend taking a day after palace 7 and just putting on your treasure demon spray and running around the last few floors of the last area. It'll take a little bit but you should find them without too much problems.

Teepo671

Heh, I just got this:

cIEVAxA.jpg

Whoa....
Over 220 hours in already and I haven't seen that line yet but damn. lol. And here I thought she was such a sweet lady. D:

Those were the last 2 personas I needed to complete my compendium and I found them both last night in mementos on the path of sheriruth, floors 7 through 13. Used a treasure trap and found them after about 30 minutes to an hour of searching.

Also am I the only one (endgame spoilers)
who was completely duped by Akechi? The game led you to dislike him the whole way through, but since I knew he was going to be a party member later I believed that it was all going to be about how first impressions aren't everything and he's actually a good guy after all. I can only wonder how I would've reacted if I didn't know he was going to be a party member; I wish his face wasn't on the damn splash screen lol.

I didn't look at any trailers outside of the first two teasers for the game, so I didn't know he was gonna be a party member or a traitor. To be honest, I secretly thought Morgana was gonna be the real culprit (his dreams led me to believe he had an alter ego but it was squashed after Haru's dad was killed) and then I thought Haru was the traitor after I got caught because she was being hounded by the cops and I felt she'd have thin skin.

So I was a little shocked Akechi was the traitor

vypek

I'm gonna try to stick around mementos for a while to get crafting material. Some of then don't seem to appear where I am yet though. So guess I'll go for those tin clasps and plant balms and whatever else is around the spots I have access to

Grisby

I like the cat. I think I like to stay outside late at night even more.
Started my first New Game+ route the other day. Can't believe how fun this game still is.

Though I'm really starting to feel like it was a missed opportunity not including a female protagonist route. The excuse for it not being there was kind of flimsy, but oh well.

I've been thinking about this all day really. The MC doesn't have much of a personality. There's no real reason why the lead couldn't be a female.

Guess I'll have to see though farther into the game since I'm still so early into it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5: The Crimson would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a female protagonist. Like with P3P, they already have a base game to work off with, so they could make some meaningful differences with her.

I just hope they don't go the Persona 4: Golden route, because P5 is incredibly dense as is. There aren't many events you could really add, and a Marie-style extra dungeon would suck.

silva1991

Persona 5: The Crimson would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a female protagonist. Like with P3P, they already have a base game to work off with, so they could make some meaningful differences with her.

I just hope they don't go the Persona 4: Golden route, because P5 is incredibly dense as is. There aren't many events you could really add, and a Marie-style extra dungeon would suck.

Why?

The way the game is structured it would be tough to add too many events and whatnot. There aren't really any time skips to fit something in, and ending spoilers
you couldn't really have anything after the finale since the metaverse and palaces were destroyed.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think Hifumi as she appears in the final version of P5 is really party member material. Her design was floated as one that was planned for use for a party member, but I would expect her actual story and characterization would've been pretty different had she actually been a major character. You'd need to majorly rework her.

End game spoilers:
I just secured the route to Shido's treasure and it's currently 11/30. I haven't sent the calling card yet. Roughly how many hours do I have until the end? I'm going to be super busy these next couple of weeks and I'm trying to find some time where I can sit down and finish in one sitting.

Guess Who

Banned
End game spoilers:
I just secured the route to Shido's treasure and it's currently 11/30. I haven't sent the calling card yet. Roughly how many hours do I have until the end? I'm going to be super busy these next couple of weeks and I'm trying to find some time where I can sit down and finish in one sitting.

More hours than you're probably thinking right now. 10ish, perhaps?

Opa-Pa

I don't even know what I'd want from a re-release of the game, actually. I mean aside from more demons, a couple new songs and some mechanical refinements... I dunno. Marie in Golden was mostly terrible, some of the new events were cute but they were mostly unnecessary and some even made the experience worse.

I honestly just want this on Switch to play it portably lol.

They need to add the search engine for fusing like SMT IV. Making demons in this game is some stone age type shit in comparison. Also being able to fuse straight from compendium. Oh and deleting demons without having to back out of the fusion menu completely

End game spoilers:
It depends on how strong your party is and how far you've delved into mementos, but it took me around 4-5 hours to beat it from there.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
They need to add the search engine for fusing like SMT IV. Making demons in this game is some stone age type shit in comparison. Also being able to fuse straight from compendium. Oh and deleting demons without having to back out of the fusion menu completely

Fuckin seriously, I was excited when I unlocked itemizing since I figured "hey maybe I'll just be able to do that instead of backing out to delete" but nope you can only do that once a day. I am not lying when I think I spent a good 5-6 hours in the velvet room over the course of the game just fiddling between menus trying to fuse and strengthen stuff. I guess you can't really tell since it was a lot of save scumming but if all my velvet room time was included in my final play time it would easily be 4 or so hours higher.

End game spoilers:

I would say between cut scenes and everything I think it took me about 7 hours from there to the credits.

Yeah, I've been spending some serious hours in the velvet room here in the endgame working on my final fusions and, man, it often really is needlessly difficult and time consuming to do what you want.

I don't think Hifumi as she appears in the final version of P5 is really party member material. Her design was floated as one that was planned for use for a party member, but I would expect her actual story and characterization would've been pretty different had she actually been a major character. You'd need to majorly rework her.

I still think they swiped some of Hifumi's stuff and gave it to Makoto. Hifumi's abilities make a ton of sense for someone who is the party strategist. Even the code name "Queen" makes much more sense for someone who thinks of themselves as the ruler of their own little shogi kingdom instead of Makoto's sorta-power trip aggressive thing.

Opa-Pa

Yeah actually I recently started the FeMC route in P3P for the first time (post-Persona depression is devastating) and now I really, really want one for P5. Before I mostly wanted it to happen so folks that identified better with a girl or wanted to date guys had their cake too, but after experiencing P3's myself, I think it'd greatly improve my experience with the game.

I mean I never knew that as the female protag, the game often lets you tell your pervy friend (in this case Junpei) to shut the fuck up when he's being an annoyance, or to team up with your female friend to shut him up as well. Being able to do that to Ryuji, or being able to hit him and Morgana when trying to look up Ann's skirt would make a world of difference.

Plus having a completely new perspective of the story never hurts when replaying something that originally took you 150 hours to beat lol.

I mean I never knew that as the female protag, the game often lets you tell your pervy friend (in this case Junpei) to shut the fuck up when he's being an annoyance, or to team up with your female friend to shut him up as well. Being able to do that to Ryuji, or being able to hit him and Morgana when trying to look up Ann's skirt would make a world of difference.

I wish I could smack Ryuji and Morgana for being super creepers on Ann as the current Joker, let alone a female version.

Opa-Pa

Same here, naturally. But the writers are too damn dense to realize that shit's wrong, because I mean, only a girl would ever be bothered by such things, you know?

Hylian7

I don't even know what I'd want from a re-release of the game, actually. I mean aside from more demons, a couple new songs and some mechanical refinements... I dunno. Marie in Golden was mostly terrible, some of the new events were cute but they were mostly unnecessary and some even made the experience worse.

I honestly just want this on Switch to play it portably lol.
This is something I have been thinking since I got the game, especially since I have had to share the TV with my fiance, lol.

Honestly having the Switch makes me want almost every game on it, lol. I am super excited for SMT Switch though.

PK Gaming

Yeah actually I recently started the FeMC route in P3P for the first time (post-Persona depression is devastating) and now I really, really want one for P5. Before I mostly wanted it to happen so folks that identified better with a girl or wanted to date guys had their cake too, but after experiencing P3's myself, I think it'd greatly improve my experience with the game.

Plus having a completely new perspective of the story never hurts when replaying something that originally took you 150 hours to beat lol.

In P3, when the male protagonist becomes the field leader, Junpei expresses jealously but mostly keeps it to himself.
In P3P, when the female protagonist becomes the field leader, there's an instance where Junpei demands to know why she was picked instead of him, especially since she's a girl. Mitsuru loses her shit and threatens to kill his ass if he kept that sexism up.

It's such a great, powerful moment that really sold the female route as more than just a Mass Effect style gender swap. If P5 implements something like that, i'd love to see more scenes like that.

In other words... let Azusa Kido direct P5: The Crimson

Top Bottom