• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

We're discussing the opening cinematics, not the actual beginnings of the game.

P4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73LvR8V2LA
P4G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5pYCw4ET4

Yeah, it's especially strange how Makoto, Haru, and Futaba are only in it for a single shot. I feel like it's less that it's rushed, and more that it may have been done fairly early in development before the full cast and story were really nailed down.

Honestly, I assumed it was because Atlus already had an idea of which characters they were going to introduce first, both in the game and in marketing, and it was easier to craft the opening scene to fit the requirements of staggered character announcements.

Soma

Woo man. Palace 7 was a damn mission.

I can definitely see why a lot of people dislike it because of the length and mechanics (I mean I used up like 8 Master Coffees and used a Soma for the last boss fight for God's sake) but there's so much about it that I think it might actually be one of my favorite palaces in the game.

- The music theme is probably my favorite Palace theme so far and I love the little alternate version when you reach a certain room.
- The art direction. Love how decadence was the overall theme of it and the artists did a great job at creating a place that feels oppressive yet elegant. From the moment you walk in, you know they went all out for one of the final areas of the game
- Several skits with the party were really good like Ann's FANTASTIC acting making a comeback and Futaba's cutscene with an NPC
- The whole
mouse
mechanic wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It's pretty easy to exploit the terrible line of sight the enemies have and the puzzles weren't difficult even if they kinda dragged a little bit.
- The climax. At first I thought the whole
"downfall" of Akechi was a little hokey, but it all made sense to me and the party's reactions to him was actually really earnest. His boss fight in particular was great too, I just wish Loki had a bit more prominence in the story because that was a really good design. I need to let the whole situation marinate in my mind a little bit but I think I do prefer this villain to Adachi in P4.

Now just gotta send the calling card and see how this all plays out.

Lunar15

Sure it does. She just goes from
FFXIII Shivabike to FFXIII Shiva. It's a natural progression. *cough* Don't hate on Bayformers.

Why does Michael Bay have to ruin everything I love!!?

Reminder that Ryuji has the best awakened Persona in the series

Errr, nah. Everyone in P4 had a lot of awakened personas that were better than the original. P3 as well. P5 is the first time where I'm kinda like "oh that's... nice, can you go back to the original now?"

Hecate is pretty cool though.

Errr, nah. Everyone in P4 had a lot of awakened personas that were better than the original. P3 as well. P5 is the first time where I'm kinda like "oh that's... nice, can you go back to the original now?"

Oh I agree, P3 and P4 generally had awakened Personas that I actually preferred over the originals, and I'm pretty ho-hum over most of P5's.

But I can't lie and say Ryuji's isn't
my favourite Sun Wukong design ever. It's too silly to not love.

PK Gaming

Why does Michael Bay have to ruin everything I love!!?

Man, I can't think of a single awakened Persona in 4 that beat their original (barring the very obvious Yu). I mean sure, they were amazing on a thematic level (I like how Yukiko and Kanji traded superficial beauty/manliness for the real deal) but the designs themselves... Nah.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Persona 4's opening was the best. After PV01, I was kinda surprised at how the full Persona 5 opening kind of falls flat. It's like certain parts of it were rushed or something.

Vanilla P4s opening is incredible but I think it loses to how ridiculously stylish vanilla P3s is. FES has the worst by far since it's just a collection of gameplay clips and cutscenes.

P5s opening is solid though.

Man, I can't think of a single awakened Persona in 4 that beat their original (barring the very obvious Yu). I mean sure, they were amazing on a thematic level (I like how Yukiko and Kanji traded superficial beauty/manliness for the real deal) but the designs themselves... Nah.

Yukiko's and Chie's awakened personas look amazing though! Especially Chie's ultimate one from golden. I think P3 has some of the weaker designs for the party's. P5s are all at least visually interesting, I wasn't a huge fan of futabas UFO or Sun though lol.

MSMrRound

Oh my god screw this in-game video game
Power Intuition stage 3

I'm not that good at fighting game and not only I can't use the left stick to do it, I have to activate it using just the dpads?

Anyone got any tips/videos on how I can go around passing the stage? Bonus
time is activated since I already read the book.
I'm just not too sure how to go about trying for the input.
previous two stages were okay after some tries

Lunar15

You're probably right but right now I'm blinded by pure rage and hatred towards whoever thought it was a great idea to change Makoto's persona like that.

MSMrRound

as a fighting game player...it was really really easy lol

as in...is it a semicircle from right to left then hard right? I'm trying to get some sense of the motion so that I can try to do the input.

Trying to shift my attempt into the afternoon slot so that I don't have to keep on having to wait for the game to do the slow changing over to the next day+train ride+text messages >.>

as in...is it a semicircle from right to left then hard right? I'm trying to get some sense of the motion so that I can try to do the input.

Trying to shift my attempt into the afternoon slot so that I don't have to keep on having to wait for the game to do the slow changing over to the next day+train ride+text messages >.>
yea, just start on the right dpad and roll your finger to the left dpad along the bottom, then smack back the other direction with a quick short lift.

then you get this:
noel_zero_gun_fenrir_by_misfortunesword.gif

Weebos

Banned
Oh my god screw this in-game video game
Power Intuition stage 3

I'm not that good at fighting game and not only I can't use the left stick to do it, I have to activate it using just the dpads?

Anyone got any tips/videos on how I can go around passing the stage? Bonus
time is activated since I already read the book.
I'm just not too sure how to go about trying for the input.
previous two stages were okay after some tries

It is a pain in the ass. I just reloaded my save until I got it.

I appreciated that the animated cutscenes in this one are of higher quality than 4 especially for the faces. I watched the preview cartoon they put out after I beat the game and that short was drawn like crap compared to the ones in the game.

FluxWaveZ

I appreciated that the animated cutscenes in this one are of higher quality than 4 especially for the faces. I watched the preview cartoon they put out after I beat the game and that short was drawn like crap compared to the ones in the game.

Yeah, two different studios, for one. In-game is Production I.G, while Daybreakers was A-1 Pictures.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nope, neither one of them do.

Nope. For some reason I thought it did, so I avoided it. Once I realized I could boost the affinity of one link every day for a mere 5000 yen, I realized how much I was missing out on.

Nice. Too bad I was following the JP guide. There's so many things they don't utilize or don't make sense. A lot of missed scenes too. I have 9 million yen and haven't used the fortune teller yet.

Her ability is amazing on NG+ too since all of her abilities unlock at rank 1 if you maxed her the previous run. Makes ranking up Devil real easy.

All her stuff returns at rank 1? Wow. Are all the confidants in NG+ like that?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

If you max them out on the last day you can get a gift from the confidants you maxed that gives you some or most of their main perks right away for ng+. Depends on the confidants.

The notable ones are strength, fortune and tower

daveo42

Banned
Nice. Too bad I was following the JP guide. There's so many things they don't utilize or don't make sense. A lot of missed scenes too. I have 9 million yen and haven't used the fortune teller yet.

No, most party confidants are varied in what you get right off the bat while it seems like you get rank 10 abilities from other confidants. Like you get Temperance's
massage
and Moon's
xp boost for the entire team
at rank 1. NG+ is for screwing around and clearing some of the more difficult trophies.

Edit: Death's isn't worth it until rank 7 even in NG+ and Strength is amazing if you have the cash (discount is pretty great tho).

This doesn't make up for the fact that (second awakening spoiler):
She loses the fucking bike.
I felt that way too until
I came to appreciate the way her Persona moves around. It makes me think of the figure skating from the opening, which does a really good job of evoking the feeling of freedom and release that would come with the second awakening.

Lunar15

I felt that way too until
I came to appreciate the way her Persona moves around. It makes me think of the figure skating from the opening, which does a really good job of evoking the feeling of freedom and release that would come with the second awakening.

With all due respect:
SHE SUMMONED HER PERSONA AND HOPPED ON IT BECAUSE IT WAS A MOTORCYCLE. That's by far the coolest damn persona summoning animation the series has ever had.

Astral

Awesome. In that case it looks like Empress and Hanged Man are the only Confidants I won't be able to max this playthrough. I think this is the best I've done in any Persona game. I'm surprised how much I did without a guide. I thought I was doing a poor job managing time.

Yep, 5th palace sucked any enthusiasm I had for the game right out of me but I still appreciate the fun 50 hours I've had. But I'm going to their take a long break from this one or never end up finishing it.

Recall

Yep, 5th palace sucked any enthusiasm I had for the game right out of me but I still appreciate the fun 50 hours I've had. But I'm going to their take a long break from this one or never end up finishing it.

Can you elaborate why?

I'm just about to start the 5th palace and I'm terrified of it.

Top Bottom